Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2577

• Page

of 2874 First / Last

• nickthegun 11 Apr 2014 09:08:45 61,364 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What an odd list. Anyway, stick caddyshack and police academy on the end of that.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• nickthegun 11 Apr 2014 09:08:55 61,364 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Prisoners:

Taken for people who think they know better.

7/10

• beastmaster 11 Apr 2014 09:11:49 12,038 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    You mean the one from about 8 years ago?
    Yep, that's the one. "You're my boy blue!"

8 years ago? Fuck! I am old.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• monkman76 11 Apr 2014 09:13:55 5,430 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The point he's making is that 8 years is NOT a long time, when we're talking about generational shifts in what we find funny :)
  • Mola_Ram 11 Apr 2014 09:15:18 8,355 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hot Shots! part deux is still hilarious for me, for some reason. The movie references are all dated, but there's just so much quality in there.

"Who are they?"

"She's CIA. The other man's an extra."
  • monkman76 11 Apr 2014 09:19:23 5,430 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The real test is stuff that was made before we were born, or before we knew what comedy was at least.

The Monty Python films definitely still stand up for me.
  • beastmaster 11 Apr 2014 09:20:08 12,038 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Also like to add a couple of Marilyn Monroe films. Some Like It Hot and the Seven Year Itch are outstanding.

• beastmaster 11 Apr 2014 09:25:09 12,038 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hang on, you've also got The Pink Panther films as well. NOT the Steve Martin ones.

Good comedies don't age. Bad ones do.

• Deleted user 11 April 2014 09:35:28
    Toy Story 3

This was a little bit of a slow starter and I thought it was trying too hard to make a point. It felt like there were a lot less Toys in it at first and a lot less humour. However, 1/2 way through, it ramped up, tugged my emotions all over the place , had me laughing (Barbie moments mostly, but also Mr Potato Head) and in the end I was crying like a girl I'm embarrassed to admit.

Finished the film thinking it was probably a 9/10. I think an 8/10 now as I'm not sure I'll watch it in the future. Nice couple of hours though which reminded me of so many good things that have happened and are happening in my life.
  • Dgzter 11 Apr 2014 09:39:16 225 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Two-Way Stretch (1960) with Peter Sellers is one of my favourite older comedies. I remember watching it over and over again on VHS as a kid; think my brother had taped it off the TV at Xmas time - you remember when Xmas TV used to actually be awesome? Marx Brothers marathons etc. Good times!

Anyway, the line from Sellers when the Prison Guard knocks on there cell door cracks me up everytime: 'Come in chief, it's not locked' :)

Edited by Dgzter at 09:39:36 11-04-2014

Edited by Dgzter at 09:39:54 11-04-2014
  • Deleted user 11 April 2014 09:41:49
    Old Mel Brooks and Woody Allen comedies are still just as funny. I actually think the old Keaten, Chaplain etc films are still great too. Timing is amazing.
  • nickthegun 11 Apr 2014 09:58:01 61,364 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They are genuinely astonishing in the way that no one got killed.

• CosmicFuzz 11 Apr 2014 10:03:56 25,724 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah I really enjoyed Annie Hall when I watched it for the first time the other week. Easily stood up for me.

I remember Laurel and Hardy sketches cracking me up as a kid, although I've not watched any in years. If someone has good comic timing, they've got good comic timing. Well done slapstick will always make me laugh, I think, regardless of the time it was made.

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• CosmicFuzz 11 Apr 2014 10:05:45 25,724 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Steve_Perry wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Yeah Firefly should be left alone now. I love it, and Serenity, but nothing will live up to it. It's had a great wrap up anyway
    That's what I never understood about all the moaning. It actually got a film and a great ending, which most cancelled shows don't.

Besides, don't loads of the main cast get killed in the end of the film?
    Yeah that they do.

The story from Serenity was what Season 2 was supposed to be about anyway, so it really was a perfect continuation/wrap up.

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• khaz 11 Apr 2014 10:08:30 2,826 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Also like to add a couple of Marilyn Monroe films. Some Like It Hot and the Seven Year Itch are outstanding.
    Most of Billy Wilder's stuff still cracks me up. The Apartment is nothing less than a work of comedic genius in my book. As is the first The Odd Couple film.

Basically, any comedy with Jack Lemmon in it.

Edited by khaz at 10:09:36 11-04-2014
  • khaz 11 Apr 2014 10:10:53 2,826 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Old Mel Brooks and Woody Allen comedies are still just as funny. I actually think the old Keaten, Chaplain etc films are still great too. Timing is amazing.
    I laugh like an utter loon through pretty much any Buster Keaton film. And yeah, Mel Brooks's "Silent Movie" is fucking amazing.

Fuck, yes, the original Pink Panther films too. The first one and A Shot in the Dark are so fucking good. The classic hiding sequence in the first film makes me tear up with laughter every damn time. Barefoot in the Park is also my favourite romantic comedy ever. Robert Redford's and Jane Fonda's comedic timing is amazing.

Fuck, I foresee a classic comedy binge weekend.

Edited by khaz at 10:13:53 11-04-2014
  • beastmaster 11 Apr 2014 10:38:56 12,038 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Blazing Saddles is one of the funniest films ever made. Is it racist? That depends on you point of view.

However, even is you take out all of those jokes, it'll still be absolutely hilarious.

"Mongo only pawn... in game of life."

• Blakester 11 Apr 2014 11:51:37 3,671 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pink Panther Strikes Again is probably my favourite comedy performance of all time. Sellers' is my hero and I think this is his peak performance as Clouseau.

The film also has the classic "that is not my dog" line that slays me every time. :D

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• Rhaegyr 11 Apr 2014 12:19:48 2,750 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I think Ferris Bueller's still is hilarious; surprised it's not been mentioned. Same goes for City Lights.

Edited by Rhaegyr at 12:36:57 11-04-2014
  • khaz 11 Apr 2014 12:38:00 2,826 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ferris Bueller I would imagine is very much a rite of passage in film terms for most of us in this thread. Great film. :)

Most of the films we're talking about are before most (All?) of us were born that still have an impact. 1982 born here.
  • CosmicFuzz 11 Apr 2014 12:39:12 25,724 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aaaaargh Ferris Bueller is ANOTHER one of those films that I've been meaning to watch for years now.

• Rhaegyr 11 Apr 2014 12:41:32 2,750 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    khaz wrote:
    Ferris Bueller I would imagine is very much a rite of passage in film terms for most of us in this thread. Great film. :)

Most of the films we're talking about are before most (All?) of us were born that still have an impact. 1982 born here.
    Ah - 86 here.

City Lights for sure then - 1931!
  • mattk84 11 Apr 2014 12:42:39 589 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What did he say?
    He said the sheriff is near.
    No! I said the sheriff is a nig-*bong*

Blazing Saddles is awesome but it's fair to say it loses its way in the last 20 mins or so.

PSN ID IMrAndersonI

• RyanDS 11 Apr 2014 12:43:10 9,867 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Top Secret still holds up very well.

The site gags and one liners are perfect.

"I know a little German..."
  • jablonski 11 Apr 2014 12:46:51 4,980 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My favourite comedy is "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid' with Steve Martin.
  • CosmicFuzz 11 Apr 2014 12:52:59 25,724 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I watched The Jerk a while back. I was expecting a lot.

I was very bored.

• jablonski 11 Apr 2014 12:54:55 4,980 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    AVERAGE RANDOM BASTARD!
  • beastmaster 11 Apr 2014 12:55:11 12,038 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Top Secret contains one line me and my best mates quote from time-to-time since we first saw it.

"Souvenirs, novelties, party tricks!"

I'm also going to throw Groundhog Day and Stripes into the mix. Avoid watching the extended cut of Stripes. There are a few extra scenes were put back in, but it's easy to see why they were taken out. Not funny and broke the films pacing.

Edit: The Man with Two Brains is probably my favourite comedy. Just totally bonkers. Also, Kathleen Turner's legs! Oh. Dear. god!

Edited by beastmaster at 12:57:35 11-04-2014

• Page

of 2874 First / Last