of 2767 First / Last

• CosmicFuzz 14 Mar 2014 17:27:28 24,298 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    HOLY

SHIT
    Heh, chalk n cheese huh. Quality acting, I guess.
    Yeah, pretty impressive. I'd definitely be an effective team with her. Or something.

Our month-long focus on indie games starts with my look at the PS4's best game (still): Resogun!

• Gambit1977 14 Mar 2014 19:29:36 9,651 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Veronica Mars
    loved the show, so really good to be back in corrupt old Neptune. Shame veronica is less pithy in her old age but very enjoyable extended tv episode
  • Deckard1 14 Mar 2014 19:35:13 27,981 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I heard you get a free copy of Smash Hits and a training bra with every ticket, is that true?
  • IronGiant 14 Mar 2014 21:58:10 4,505 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Are there any reviews in this thread anymore? ;)

Seriously though is the new robocop worth the admission price?
  • beastmaster 14 Mar 2014 22:07:46 11,413 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Grand Budapest Hotel - 5/10

The latest film from Wes Anderson tries far to hard to be quirky and cooky and fails to be anything but a poor imitatation of his previous decent work.

The plot follows the adventures of a hotel concierge and his friend the lobby boy. Unfortunately, there's absolutely nothing new to see here. Thanks probably a bit harsh as the characters are quite interesting but then get boring rather quickly.

I though the first part of the film was pretty good. It's only when the main plot kicks in that I started to loose interest.

A few decent scenes and Willem Dafoe in a film stealing performance isn't enough to save it. Despite being full of excellent actors, the film just seems to be trying to be a bit out there for the sake of it. The film seemed a lot longer than it actually was.

Under The Skin - ??/10

This is my most anticipated film of 2014 and it's delivered. In that it's a film which is unlike anything I've seen before. I love the book and there are a few significant changes which make the film stand out in it's own right but make it quite bewildering in others.

The film has a very unique visual style. At times it's like watching an experimental film. It's extremely lo-fi, surreal and dark in equal measures. Other times, it's like watching a documentary. The cast and crew went into Glasgow and they filmed Scarlett Johansson (with a very different look) walking through the streets and shops and nobody recognised her. The use of a few non actors in roles also gives the film a very different feel.

Plot wise, it follows a young woman who picks up single, male hitchhikers and seduces them. Things turn out badly for her unfortunate victims. This is where the book differs from the film. The book explains the reasons why she's doing this. The film doesn't and it also changes the third act. So, if you've read the book it's quite a surprise. If you've not, the film doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

The film is also extremely unsettling and disturbing in places. That in part is due to Johansson's remarkable performance. She really is stunning in this and deserves all the praise she's been getting. The score is also vastly different from most others I've heard and doesn't fail to makes you uneasy.

This is an exceptional film with a great central performance. I've given absolutely nothing away and it's probably best to go into it not knowing what to expect. However, I recognise that this film will not be for everyone. The plot won't make any sense and it's visual look, unsettling score and pitch black tone will turn some people off.

For me though, this film will stand up well with multiple viewings. I'll certainly go and see it again soon.

Finally, Scarlett really is prepared to bare all for her art. If you think she stunning looking and liked those leaked nude photos that were on the internet, you ain't seen nothing yet. She does lots of full-frontal nudity and she doesn't shy away from the lingering camera. Holy fuck!

Edited by beastmaster at 22:08:59 14-03-2014

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Gambit1977 14 Mar 2014 22:12:43 9,651 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    I heard you get a free copy of Smash Hits and a training bra with every ticket, is that true?

possibly, although i watched it at 'ahem' home...and Kristen bell seems to have developed boobies
  • Stranded87 14 Mar 2014 22:42:03 891 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Veronica Mars

Like a long episode of the show. Worth it for fans, but not special.

6/10
  • bad09 15 Mar 2014 00:37:07 5,896 posts
    Seen 31 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    More aliens!

District 9

I dunno if it was all the aliens talk here but I had a 3rd watch as the mrs went to bed with a cold. The more I watch it the more I have decided quite possibly the best sfi-fi movie ever. Just can't really fault it such a strong movie, with a fucking message and just beautiful on blu (seriously do yourselves a favour) and FOOKIN' PRAWNS!!!

100,100%,10/10 take your pick.

Oh and in case you missed it. Ladies and gentlemen I give you Titanfall! :)

Edited by bad09 at 00:38:44 15-03-2014
  • bad09 15 Mar 2014 00:55:28 5,896 posts
    Seen 31 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just in case you weren't sure it's Titanfall

Edited by bad09 at 00:57:43 15-03-2014
  • TarickStonefire 15 Mar 2014 09:00:50 3,091 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    District 9 is awesome. Don't ruin it for yourself by watching Elysium, though. You won't believe the same guy made such a generic, contrived, clichéd, predictable load of old tosh.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• CosmicFuzz 15 Mar 2014 09:05:33 24,298 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    District 9 is awesome. Don't ruin it for yourself by watching Elysium, though. You won't believe the same guy made such a generic, contrived, clichéd, predictable load of old tosh.
    Exactly my thoughts.

Our month-long focus on indie games starts with my look at the PS4's best game (still): Resogun!

• TarickStonefire 15 Mar 2014 09:08:59 3,091 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    Exactly my thoughts.
    Apparently he was actually aiming for that sort of Big Hollywood Extravaganza and as such he achieved exactly what he aimed for. Hopefully he'll aim higher next time.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• Gambit1977 15 Mar 2014 09:12:18 9,651 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Elysium felt like a rehash of D9 but without any charm. Copley between that and oldboy has proved how much he can completely destroy a film. He's absolutely awful in elysium (the script doesn't help him granted)
  • glaeken 15 Mar 2014 15:27:11 11,171 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    World War Z - 7/10 - I found it a reasonably enjoyable sold B movie. It did not really bother me that it's not really anything like the book. The zombies themselves are far more like the ones in 28 days later. The speed of infection and the wildness of the zombies was a direct lift I think from 28 days.
  • Khanivor 15 Mar 2014 15:45:32 40,741 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Captain Philips - 8/10

Another gripping Greengrass movie where you know the end but the journey constructed is so well done that you are sucked into the movie's world. The tension is built very well at the start as we are introduced to the two sides as they journey from home to their destiny in the ocean. The sense of fear is well delivered yet the malice only makes an introduction as the SEAL team's story begins.

There's an inevitable Hanksian quality to the character of Philips but its worth sticking with the actor as what he delivers at the end of the movie is remarkable.

Dallas Buyers Club - 7/10

Very interesting and affecting character study which suffers from a tendency towards showy acting and from distorting the source material quite heavily.
  • Armoured_Bear 15 Mar 2014 15:48:27 11,155 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    A Dangerous Method
    Decent film and Michael Fassbender is excellent but I really struggled with Keira Knightley in this, her accent was all over the place and she was real unconvincing :-(

7/10

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• CosmicFuzz 15 Mar 2014 16:09:08 24,298 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I really can't stand Keira Knightley anymore. She ruins nearly every film she's in for me. Jack Ryan was horribly average to begin with, but she drove it right into the dirt. Her gurning seizures in A Dangerous Method were horrific. Thought the film was a little boring too, which was a shame because I love Fassbender and Mortensen.

Edited by CosmicFuzz at 16:09:32 15-03-2014

• mal 15 Mar 2014 16:30:15 22,528 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Films have always been good in spite of her, never because of. The first Pirates of the Caribbean movie was dumb enough to work, and somehow Atonement managed to work around her. Bend it Like Beckham only gets a pass due to it being low budget british, and she's still easily the worst thing in that.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• kalel 15 Mar 2014 16:33:21 87,627 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    She was well cast in Atonement. She's supposed to be a bit loathsome. To be fair she is pretty good in it, as well as it being an ideal role.
  • mrpon 15 Mar 2014 16:48:38 28,907 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought she was great in Leon.

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• TechnoHippy 15 Mar 2014 17:01:29 14,715 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jurassic Attack

What we have here is a film that almost makes it to the 'so awful it's awesome' grade, but ends up actually just being awful. Somebody obviously watched Predator and Jurassic Park and thought I can combine those two excellent films and turn it into something that is really rubbish - yes even worse than Predators.

The story is simple, a team of the world's most inept special forces is sent to rescue a pretty bio-chemist (who provides one of the high points of the film by only wearing her underwear while she is being kidnapped) who has been forced by a terrorist (who laughs a lot in a poor diabolical fashion throughout the film) to create a new biological weapon. They sneak in Commando style by shooting everyone in sight, rescue the girl and are shot down on their way out and end up in the depths of an ancient crater that is a lost world with dinosaurs.

It has dinosaurs in it so I wasn't expecting much on the plot front, but I was hoping for some cool dinosaur action, unfortunately the CG is terrible and the dinosaur's animations look like a bad video game from the nineties. It's a low budget film and in shows in every respect, the effects are poor and the acting equally so. Now I don't have anything against low budget films, but low budget shouldn't necessarily mean low production values. Just for the fun of it here are a few examples: the special forces team take off in one aircraft and then parachute out of a completely different one and the shots of the jungle in the remote area that apparently has never been explored has roads in it.

So it's pretty rubbish, however it did do enough to keep me watching to the end, although that probably says more about my laziness to change the disk rather than any positive aspect to the film. In fairness though, it picked up a little when the nutter who originally found the lost world turns up. I really wouldn't recommend watching this.

3/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• kalel 15 Mar 2014 17:03:39 87,627 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Ha ha?
  • Mr_Sleep 15 Mar 2014 17:28:37 17,062 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    The Grand Budapest Hotel - 5/10

The latest film from Wes Anderson tries far to hard to be quirky and cooky and fails to be anything but a poor imitatation of his previous decent work.

The plot follows the adventures of a hotel concierge and his friend the lobby boy. Unfortunately, there's absolutely nothing new to see here. Thanks probably a bit harsh as the characters are quite interesting but then get boring rather quickly.

I though the first part of the film was pretty good. It's only when the main plot kicks in that I started to loose interest.

A few decent scenes and Willem Dafoe in a film stealing performance isn't enough to save it. Despite being full of excellent actors, the film just seems to be trying to be a bit out there for the sake of it. The film seemed a lot longer than it actually was.
    I felt the same, although I'd rate it slightly higher than your score for I enjoyed a great deal of the film but it certainly fell pretty flat in the second half.

Fiennes is very impressive as the concierge and his nonstop flood of dialogue is quite an achievement. I also enjoyed Harvey Keitel and Adrian Brody's performances. I think the film ultimately suffers from a lack of direction in the story, it goes all over the place but never really kept my interest in the general story, it has very fine set pieces but it almost seems like tacked together ideas and sketches rather than a fleshed out story. Another problem is that it feels like a long film but it really isn't I was expecting to have been in the cinema for upwards of two and a half hours but it's nowhere near that coming in at 99 minutes.

You are a factory of sadness.

• TechnoHippy 15 Mar 2014 18:38:32 14,715 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    V/H/S/2

This is a damn fine horror film and one of those rare beasts of a sequel being better than the original and I liked the first film. It follows a similar format with a series of short films on tapes that have an effect on the people watching them, in this film it's wrapped into a story about two private investigators looking into the disappearance of a college student.

There's four short films in the sequence and they're all very good. It's told in a lost footage format and for the most part in a shifting first person perspective. Admittedly this can get a little confusing on occasion, but for the most part it works well.

The first story is about a man who has an artificial eye implanted, he then starts seeing odd visions. This was my least favourite of the stories, but the immediacy of the first person perspective works well in the context of the story.

In the second story we have a typical zombie tale (for the most part), again the first person view works well and provides an interesting angle on the story. The ending is a little different too.

The third story was my favourite and is a creepy tale about a cult seeking Heaven. It's set up very well and has a very sinister atmosphere and I enjoyed the ending.

I also like the fourth short story, this one inspired by the alien/grey abduction tale. In this one there's some excellent use of lighting and audio to reinforce the terror.

The overarching story wraps up well, overall I enjoyed watching this a lot and would recommend it to any horror fans.

8/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• DFawkes 15 Mar 2014 21:10:56 22,958 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    That was Jean Reno.

Glad to hear you enjoyed V/H/S/2 TechnoHippy, I was really pleasantly surprised by the first V/H/S, which did found footage well by having a nice and short, well paced stories rather than something that felt a bit stretched. I'll certainly try to watch the second one, given you say you enjoyed the first too :)

Edited by DFawkes at 21:11:06 15-03-2014

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Deckard1 15 Mar 2014 21:26:58 27,981 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I thought the second one was dreadful and quite enjoyed the first. And I'm much better than technohippy
  • spindle9988 15 Mar 2014 21:42:03 3,589 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I didn't like any of them, and I'm better than both. Just check my review site italkaloadofbollocks.com
  • -cerberus- 15 Mar 2014 22:31:22 2,838 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Dead Calm

Poop.

2/10

Take the plastic bag challenge to cure stupidity.

• IMO 15 Mar 2014 22:37:37 5,661 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    End Of Watch - solid 75% for me.
  • CosmicFuzz 16 Mar 2014 00:16:15 24,298 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Adaptation

Wow/10

Loved it. As someone who's trying to write, it was a really fascinating quasi-true look into the process of creating a screenplay. I really love meta stuff like this, it was so clever. Also, Nic Cage was great! As in, actually great, not comedy great. One of the few decent performances he's put in.

Only seen this and Eternal Sunshine (which I also loved) so am going to have to check out the rest of Kauffman's stuff.

• Page

of 2767 First / Last