Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2502

• Page

of 2710 First / Last

• wobbly_Bob 6 Mar 2014 19:15:52 1,627 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thor: Dark World

Very disappointing considering that I really enjoyed the first movie. I found the movie very slow and boring. Even the fight segments were very dull without even an iota of imagination in them.

The direction seemed to be really odd. It was like the director thought he was directing a lord of the rings fantasy epic. It had a very lord of the rings feel to it. The special effects were good and I liked the design of the dark elves but again these seemed borrowed from else where, in this case being Hell Boy 2.

Lots of it made no sense. Asgard has advanced technology so why ar they sitting in candle lit inns and fighting invaders that have lasers with medieval swords and shields? How the hell did they beat them in the first place? The bifrost bridge was destroyed so why is it now fixed? The warrior women is obviously in love with Thor and dispite a few evil stares they do nothing with that plot line. Odin bellows in one part of the movie informs his son they are not gods or immortals but then in another gives Thor a telling off for bringing a motal to Asgard, which is it?

5/10
  • jablonski 6 Mar 2014 19:58:03 3,361 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    The Secret in their Eyes is a great film, need to re-watch that one soon - the cast is outstanding.
    Great film.
  • jablonski 6 Mar 2014 19:59:37 3,361 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    Thor: Dark World
    Odin bellows in one part of the movie informs his son they are not gods or immortals but then in another gives Thor a telling off for bringing a motal to Asgard, which is it?

5/10
    I love watching Anthony Hopkins in that film:

whisper whisper whisper whisper SHOUT SHOUT SHOUT SHOUT whisper...
    ...and repeat.
  • MrFlay 6 Mar 2014 20:35:34 548 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Wolverine - 7/10

Surprisingly decent considering how dreadful that other Wolverine movie was. This one is set in Japan and Wolverine kills loads of Yakuza, ninjas and a giant robotic samurai. It's basically silly but good fun. It's very nicely shot and there are a number of great action sequences. The story is quite silly and disappointingly free of pirates and/or vikings. A proper comic-book movie then with a bit of the typcial Wolverine angst. It's also about a half-hour too long.

Edited by MrFlay at 20:39:23 06-03-2014
  • MrFlay 6 Mar 2014 20:40:57 548 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    jablonski wrote:
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    The Secret in their Eyes is a great film, need to re-watch that one soon - the cast is outstanding.
    Great film.
    Yes. The female lead is stunning and an excellent actor too. Ricardo Darín is also fantastic as usual.
  • JamesUK 6 Mar 2014 20:57:27 138 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    jablonski wrote:
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    Great film.
    A few days ago, I remembered a film's ending but I couldn't recall what film it was from. I just looked up The Secret in their Eyes on IMDB and that has saved me alot of headscratching.
    Definitely worth a watch for anyone who hasn't seen it.
  • faux_carnation 6 Mar 2014 21:12:12 9,074 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Her 9/10

I actually saw this last week but I wanted to save reviewing it for a while to see if my opinion changed. It didn't.

I loved this film. It destroyed me emotionally, I was sobbing, but even so, I loved it. I know a lot of people have said it's "cold" and "distant", but I think the majority of people saying that are critics who are maybe a generation too old for the film to really hit them the way it hit me. I really had that feeling of "this film was written for me" - the emotional turmoil that Joaquin Phoenix's character experiences was really familiar to me and a lot of the issues, specifically of how technology inserts itself not just into our lives but between us and other people were so deftly dealt with. I also loved the whole aesthetic of the film and the soundtrack. Now I'm welling up again thinking about it. A great movie.
  • Bremenacht 6 Mar 2014 23:15:35 17,613 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just got Die Hard 4.0 on in the background, when I noticed that every car involved in the truck chase sequence -with the exception of those involved in the stunts- are absolutely still and apparently have no drivers. On a motorway.

car! every car! Fuck me, you'd think I was typing on a phone or something

Edited by Bremenacht at 10:05:49 07-03-2014
  • karlo87 7 Mar 2014 01:32:27 1,267 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Only God Forgives - hopefully god can give me back that hour and an half because that was fucking abysmal. 3/10

Damn that sorcerer! Twenty gold pieces and I’m wankered on Rohypnol.

• Mola_Ram 7 Mar 2014 02:55:24 6,986 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think I might be one of those people who didn't like Her. It looked and sounded amazing, but the characters it portrays are extremely conceited and shallow, and the movie doesn't appear to realise this.

Little things also annoyed me about it, like his job being a too-obvious metaphor for the themes of the movie, or his ex-wife just being written off by his friend as an overly-emotional bitch when, really, his ex-wife had some pretty valid points to make about the guy's lifestyle and relationship choices. Or how this guy's desk job somehow pays the rent for the most amazing-looking apartment I have seen on film in ages. Or how everyone in the future appears to be a socially-awkward nerd. Or Phoenix fucking mumbling all the time.

I respected it - it does go to some pretty interesting places, particularly the bit with the "surrogate" - but didn't like it. Jonze was much better when paired with Kaufman, imo. They should do another thing.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 03:04:09 07-03-2014
  • khaz 7 Mar 2014 05:26:45 2,726 posts
    Seen 53 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    khaz wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Bremenacht wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Dog Day Afternoon 9/10

Fantastic. Pacino is gripping, and the bank robbery just spirals and spirals. Will need to read about it to see how true it actually is.
    An unheard-of classic, that one.
    I'd never heard of it anyway, and I like to think I'm a unless e movie buff. Directed by some woman named Sydney Lumet, never heard of her either but will definitely be seeking out some of her other stuff.
    Wow, that's an awfully obscure movie to get a picture from.
    Best series of quotes i've been in involved i'd say.

Edited by khaz at 05:27:14 07-03-2014
  • -cerberus- 7 Mar 2014 15:10:15 2,442 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Batman (1989) & Batman Returns (1992) - blu rays

Not terribly impressed with the image quality for Batman. Returns on the other hand is pure gothic eyecandy. Burton should've directed Batman Forever :(

9.5/10 for both

Edited by -cerberus- at 15:10:58 07-03-2014

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• Dante_Cubit 7 Mar 2014 15:14:47 1,885 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Burton is an over-rated Tory fuck. There, I said it.
  • Architect_z 7 Mar 2014 15:32:58 2,374 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Dante_Cubit wrote:
    I'm not a huge fan of Burton to be honest, I think his films appeal too much to little goth/emo kids.

I don't like the Coen Brothers films either, they always seem to be really interesting, but then something happens...and I can't tell if its supposed to be artistic storytelling, or if its some sort of cult thing I don't understand, but I don't get it, suddenly *poof* film ruined. I'm not exactly the most intelligent movie viewer mind.

Edited by Architect_z at 15:33:39 07-03-2014
  • vijay_UK 7 Mar 2014 15:39:08 2,079 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dante_Cubit wrote:
    Apart from Batman and Ed Scissorhands, he's been shit.
  • nickthegun 7 Mar 2014 15:42:45 58,833 posts
    Seen 59 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And Beetlejuice, Sleepy Hollow, Ed Wood, Big Fish and Pee Wee's big adventure.

But, yeah, apart from them, he totally sucks.

Edited by nickthegun at 15:43:09 07-03-2014

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• imamazed 7 Mar 2014 15:43:15 5,522 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Verdict

A really good story that unfolds very slowly, perhaps too slowly. It does drag in places, despite the stellar central performance from Newman.

7/10
  • spindle9988 7 Mar 2014 15:45:52 3,503 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I like Burton. He has made some great films
  • -cerberus- 7 Mar 2014 15:47:18 2,442 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @nickthegun Most of his films made after 2000 are shallow pieces of mainstream entertainment, nothing more. He either lost his touch or he's chasing the dollar. There's nothing wrong with his previous films appealing to the "goth" crowd either, at least he has a dedicated audience.

Edited by -cerberus- at 15:50:39 07-03-2014

• sega 7 Mar 2014 15:53:12 762 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Beatlejuice, Batman, Edward Scissorhands and Ed Wood are his only real good films. Even then, Beatlejuice just gets a pass for its set design and creatures and Batman for its depiction of Gotham.

I've always considered myself a Tim Burton fan, but when I think about it it's only because I think Edward Scissorhands is a brilliant film.
  • nickthegun 7 Mar 2014 15:54:46 58,833 posts
    Seen 59 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I dont think thats really true at all, to be honest.

He's certainly mellowed, but you cant really accuse him of chasing the dollar with stuff like Dark Shadows and Sweeney Todd.

He totally called it

• Dante_Cubit 7 Mar 2014 15:57:25 1,885 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    He has a very definite style that is somewhat appealing but it only gets you so far. To about 1997 in his case... Nowadays he is 'mature' in the same way that writing Tori Amos lyrics in biro on an army surplus bag is...
  • nickthegun 7 Mar 2014 15:58:16 58,833 posts
    Seen 59 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You used to do that too, huh?

He totally called it

• Dante_Cubit 7 Mar 2014 16:00:32 1,885 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Now I write them on my chest with a soldering iron. Obviously dotting the i's with little skulls.
  • -cerberus- 7 Mar 2014 16:02:11 2,442 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @sega Huge Edward Scissorhands fan here as well :) That one scene of everyone leaving their driveway in a synchronous manner is such a beautiful 'fuck you' to society.

• thelzdking 7 Mar 2014 16:09:23 4,326 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Edward Scissorhands is good film, as is Beetlejuice. There are some very good things about Batman (Keaton, Nicholson, the design) but I think it is a pretty weak film at its core. Returns is better, but it would have a hard time not being.

There's a lot of Burton films from the later '90s that I haven't seen, but his efforts from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory onward (or, rather, the ones that I've seen) do seem like tremendously formulaic goth fodder. Alice in Wonderland is a pile of fucking shit.
  • sega 7 Mar 2014 16:12:19 762 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @-cerberus- Yeah I love the contrast between the "perfect" society and the gothic world Edward is from. It's hard to decide which is the creepier, but the suburban society is certainly the more hostile.
  • nickthegun 7 Mar 2014 16:12:25 58,833 posts
    Seen 59 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is actually pretty good. I know its impossible to divorce it from the first effort, but if you can separate the two, it stands on its own fairly well.

He totally called it

• Gambit1977 7 Mar 2014 16:17:28 9,583 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I hate Tim Burton, his visual style, his attempt at camp and mostly his insistence on the same cast of arseholes.

But Pee Wee was good :D
  • sport 7 Mar 2014 16:19:03 12,568 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd like to see Burton and depp together again.
  • Page

of 2710 First / Last