Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2396

• Page

of 2773 First / Last

• StarchildHypocrethes 4 Dec 2013 14:29:58 25,942 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm a massive Dredd/2000AD fan and I thought the new Dredd film was thoroughly average. It was just bit dull all in all.
  • glaeken 4 Dec 2013 14:31:40 11,197 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I actually quite like End of Days. It's hardly classic Arnie but what's not to like about Arnie taking on the Devil with a grenade launcher? It's also quite a bit better than the really bad Arnie films like Eraser, 6th day and Collateral Damage.
  • nickthegun 4 Dec 2013 14:34:24 60,112 posts
    Seen 12 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I loved Dredd but it was a movie you really had to see at the cinema, so I can kind of see why it gets a bit of a hard time.

I just thought it was brilliant. Just a day in the life of Dredd. Some crazy shit happened, he stormed a tower, threw a few people to their deaths, set a guy on fire but for him, it was a tuesday.

Judge Dredd, on the other hand, sucks on all levels. Its not just a bad judge dredd movie, its a bad movie full stop. Just about the only decent part of it was the effects for mean machine. Everything else sucked out loud, especially Rob 'fucking' Schneider.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Deckard1 4 Dec 2013 14:43:04 28,240 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I found this

• Architect_z 4 Dec 2013 14:53:37 2,385 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think Dredd is dependant on what kind of film-watcher? or movie go-er you are.

If you're dead serious about films and expect films to deliver brilliance, then Dredd will be a better choice.

If (like me) you watch films for fun, the Stallone version is perfectly acceptable, I mean whats actually wrong with it?
    I love finding faults with films, especially cheesy action films, but Judge Dredd is just good, not amazing, not perfect, but good entertainment.
  • Deckard1 4 Dec 2013 14:57:33 28,240 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It pisses all over the character, badly acted, painfully dull, and is generally an embarrassment to the thing that its based on. Other than that its fine.
  • Gambit1977 4 Dec 2013 15:05:20 9,774 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    "what's wrong with it?" :D
    It's a lot easier to say what's right. nowt!
  • Architect_z 4 Dec 2013 15:05:41 2,385 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    It pisses all over the character, badly acted, painfully dull, and is generally an embarrassment to the thing that its based on. Other than that its fine.
    Exactly. So whats the problem. lol. :p

I actually disagree, the actings I think is pretty good, its clearly not dull, have you seen the film 'The Happening'?.....exactly.

As for the comics and character, you're probably right, I never read the comics, so I can only base my opinion on the film, I guess.
  • Deleted user 4 December 2013 15:06:12
    A Separation.

Interesting film, about a family who are about to be torn apart by an oncoming divorce. The film follows an progressive iranian family who want out of iran, but can't commit due to commitments back home, such as the father who has to care for his dad suffering from dementia. Following a filing for divorce so the mother can leave, the father has to hire a maid, which inadvertnly causes chaos for the family as a incident occurs which brings two families down into turmoil. From here on in, the film follows a courtroom drama, which expertly deals with the inner problems in iranian society, class, identity, religion, and most of all the constant battle with progressiveness and the islamic state, has the judge has to deal with the distorted facts before him.

A really good watch, its quite a measured film, which slowly moves up the gears, but it is never dull or boring, and once the incident takes place, you are hooked as people lives are brought crashing down into turmoil.

9/10
  • nickthegun 4 Dec 2013 15:22:54 60,112 posts
    Seen 12 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Architect_z wrote:
    If you're dead serious about films and expect films to deliver brilliance, then Dredd will be a better choice.
    Because it delivers brilliance rather than shit, yes.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• The_Goon 4 Dec 2013 15:26:46 131 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Apart from the character/basis points, I would level the other criticisms at Dredd. Gruff voice != good acting. The girl's acting was pretty wooden. Her change over the movie is simplistic and her character is shoe-horned in as a foil to Dredd. "Christ, Dredd comes across as a bit of a prick. Let's put this meek chick in so people can empathise with the protagonists". The plot is as minimal as they come which is pretty dull as far as I'm concerned too.

I guess it comes down to expectations. I expected a character based story which was entirely lacking. You expected a true Dredd movie with Judge Dredd which was entirely lacking.
  • -cerberus- 4 Dec 2013 17:20:44 2,931 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Cropsey

Well. That was creepy as fuck. o.O

8/10

Take the plastic bag challenge to cure stupidity.

• Architect_z 4 Dec 2013 18:57:50 2,385 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Architect_z wrote:
    Because it delivers brilliance rather than shit, yes.
    OOOOO clever, i'll listen to you more in the future!
  • oceanmotion 4 Dec 2013 19:13:50 15,968 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The_Goon wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Apart from the character/basis points, I would level the other criticisms at Dredd. Gruff voice != good acting. The girl's acting was pretty wooden. Her change over the movie is simplistic and her character is shoe-horned in as a foil to Dredd. "Christ, Dredd comes across as a bit of a prick. Let's put this meek chick in so people can empathise with the protagonists". The plot is as minimal as they come which is pretty dull as far as I'm concerned too.

I guess it comes down to expectations. I expected a character based story which was entirely lacking. You expected a true Dredd movie with Judge Dredd which was entirely lacking.
    Anderson, the blonde is an actual character from the comics and pretty important. The film is a neat enclosed introduction and done superbly well. Sequel would expand more if given the chance.
  • thelzdking 4 Dec 2013 19:56:35 4,367 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Having watched it last week I can say that Stallone's Dredd is still hilarious ("I never broke the law, I am the law!"), but few people would be foolhardy enough to try and argue that it is a good action film, or a good Dredd film. Max von Sydow is like a man marooned on a desert island of acting in a sea of scenery chewing.

I really enjoyed the new Dredd film.
  • Rhaegyr 4 Dec 2013 20:26:05 1,831 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Same here.

Plus, Urban's menacing delivery of "I am the law" is absolutely fantastic.

Edited by Rhaegyr at 20:26:30 04-12-2013
  • -cerberus- 4 Dec 2013 20:41:42 2,931 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The Atomic Café

Extremely disturbing. Couldn't finish it because of the terrible images of animal cruelty (nuclear weapons testing). Very important film.

9/10

Take the plastic bag challenge to cure stupidity.

• CharlieStCloud 4 Dec 2013 21:10:24 5,217 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I don't trust people who do not like Dredd.

... just thinking about the film makes me wanna watch it again, and again!
  • The_Goon 4 Dec 2013 21:35:22 131 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    @oceanmotion Fair play. Didn't know that. Still feels a bit shoe-horned in though rather than being a legitimate character in her own right. And her 'growth' through the movie from noob to vet still seems a bit silly.

In other news:
    Olympus Has Fallen - 6/10

Enjoyable enough if you don't expect much. Laughable CG effects though for what seems like a fairly big budget movie. Butler did play quite a badass though. Otherwise a fairly predictable and mediocre movie.
  • TechnoHippy 4 Dec 2013 21:47:37 14,718 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    I actually quite like End of Days. It's hardly classic Arnie but what's not to like about Arnie taking on the Devil with a grenade launcher? It's also quite a bit better than the really bad Arnie films like Eraser, 6th day and Collateral Damage.
    I concur, plus Gabriel Byrne makes a fun Statan.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• WoodenSpoon 4 Dec 2013 22:15:47 12,285 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Don't speak ill of Eraser.
  • Mola_Ram 4 Dec 2013 22:31:58 7,437 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    The_Goon wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Anderson, the blonde is an actual character from the comics and pretty important.
    This doesn't actually change the argument over her being a bit wooden and simplistic. It's like people saying "you have to read the books" to appreciate the new Twilight movie or whatever. Making something for fans is all well and good, but the better movies are those that can stand on their own.

As for Dredd itself, I found it a bit dull. Not bad, but very far from brilliant. Part of me thinks that all of the overblown praise is coming from comic book fans who are creaming their jeans at finally having a Dredd movie that isn't actively terrible.

But I hope they get a sequel. There is at least potential in there.
  • thelzdking 4 Dec 2013 22:37:23 4,367 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    -cerberus- wrote:
    The Atomic Café

Extremely disturbing. Couldn't finish it because of the terrible images of animal cruelty (nuclear weapons testing). Very important film.

9/10
    Great film. The bit that sticks in my mind is the Pacific Tribe waving as they are being shipped away from their island before it is used as a site for a nuclear test.
  • Bremenacht 4 Dec 2013 22:43:31 18,438 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't read comics and I thought it was excellent. I loved the style, the soundtrack and the camera work, especially that drug-time slow-mo.
  • Architect_z 5 Dec 2013 08:52:20 2,385 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Desperado - 80%

I love this film, lots of action, gore, blood...etc
    Nice cult style.
    Bits of the story seemed to have been left out, maybe this was for a more kind of cult/figure it out yourself kind of thing, but for me it didnt work and actually makes the film abit.....dry? I don't know if thats a great word to use, but it went from an absolute classic to just a good cult film as a result.
  • imamazed 5 Dec 2013 09:28:59 5,699 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gravity, again.

Not convinced by the 3D first time round, I went and saw it in imax 3D with someone who wanted to see it. Yeh, still not convinced. The colour loss and lack of clarity is a real problem. And, in terms of the actual film, it seems worse on a second viewing. Don't mind about the backstory stuff, but it's sort of...boring. The right bits do have tension, but it all feels a bit dull otherwise.

5/10 or 50/100 or 50% or 2.5*
  • TOOTR 5 Dec 2013 14:21:57 9,589 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Insomnia (2002)

Watched this randomly as I knew I saw it in the cinema on release (and enjoyed it enough) but couldn't really remember much of it.

It had completely slipped my mind that

1) It's a Chris Nolan film
    2) It's packed with great actors : Al Pacino, Robin Williams, Hilary Swank
    3) the cinematography is stunning.

Loved the main stars facing off and the story, while functional, takes a backseat to the atmosphere and stunning production values and I was immersed really.

91%

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• khaz 5 Dec 2013 14:36:29 2,790 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @TOOTR

The original version is better.
  • The_Goon 5 Dec 2013 15:27:53 131 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    imamazed wrote:
    Gravity, again.

Not convinced by the 3D first time round, I went and saw it in imax 3D with someone who wanted to see it. Yeh, still not convinced. The colour loss and lack of clarity is a real problem. And, in terms of the actual film, it seems worse on a second viewing. Don't mind about the backstory stuff, but it's sort of...boring. The right bits do have tension, but it all feels a bit dull otherwise.

5/10 or 50/100 or 50% or 2.5*
    I don't get the hype. Decent enough but, like you said, boring.
  • Madder-Max 5 Dec 2013 16:27:01 11,656 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    L
    ElNino9 wrote:
    The Stallone version was better?

Are you pissed?
    Stallone will always be THE Dredd. The world and setting is far better realised, there is actual fleshing out of the characters and the whole female rookie thing completely unnescessary. Its like watching Stallone Dredds nephew at work in a characterless predictable 2d world.

"Iam the law". Yeah okay whatever. You nicked that off your uncle you spaz.

Now. The only thing that The Raid and Dredd have in common is the tower concept with the baddies running it. Dredd came after The Raid so that tells u something.

The Raid is original and a quite magnificent martial arts action piece and is by far one the best films ever made.

Case closed.

Lol

Edited by Madder-Max at 16:30:31 05-12-2013

99 problems and being ginger is one

• Page

of 2773 First / Last