Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2389

• Page

of 2585 First / Last

• SYS64738 23 Nov 2013 15:05:20 1,512 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Completely agree on The Hunt, great film and glad it was recommended before here as I likely never would've bothered with it even though noticing it on Netflix.

Meanwhile...

The Great Gatsby

While I found it a bit light on story, VERY pretty despite the odd overdose of CGI, and the at times out of place soundtrack worked quite well for me. Definitely a Bluray showcase disc and quite entertaining (but not quite Oscar material for me).

7.5/10
  • FWB 23 Nov 2013 15:35:14 41,916 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Iceman 6/10

Based on. The true story of mafia hitman. Good and with some decent performances. Plus it has Schwimmer throwing his weight about as a hood in a tracksuit and dodgy tache. Recommend it if you like gangster films.
  • Jeepers 23 Nov 2013 19:30:06 13,158 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gravity: Pretty and tense but a bit meh/10
    I'm a bit confused by all the 5 star reviews from the press. It's very pretty and Bullock and Clooney are fine and it's tense at all the right points but the film left me cold.

Silly in parts as well. I'd give it a perfectly good 7/10.
  • Architect_z 23 Nov 2013 22:56:20 2,301 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Kingdom of Heaven (Directors Cut) - 85%

I saw the 'theatrical' version of the film a long time ago. I couldn't remember most of what happened, however I recall being disappointed.
    I've been reading alot about the Crusades recently, and decided to give it another go. I read lots of reviews stating the the Directors Cut is a much better version, containing a massive 45mins extra footage taking the film time into over 3 hours. And wow, what a difference it made, there was much more character building and alot less confusion, the plot made alot more sense and I really enjoyed it. The plot, historically, was relatively accurate and I loved the more technical plot. There are a few things that I didn't particularly like. Unfortunately, Orlando Bloom is just ok in the film. Even though he did an alright job with the acting, he just wasnt very lovable as the main protagonist. There are some great performances though, Edward Norton as King Baldwin IV was engaging. If you thought the first film was ok and fancied a revisit I'd really recommend the directors cut, it really should have been the one shown at the cinema.

---------------------

The World End - 70%

I was looking forward to this film for such a long time, and was actually quite confused by much of the story. It starts off light hearted and theres average comedy included, however it didnt provide many laugh out loud moments. The fight scenes were great, you can certainly see the director has included some choreography from Scott Pilgrim VS The World included and theres some very fancy camera work. Its in the final quarter that this film really falls down. A sort of complex set of arguments, that seemed unrelated to all of the previous storyline, and a slightly odd greater story that I think may have gone over my head a little. Then the ending just seems out of this world by comparison to the rest of the movie. It is probably what you'd expect from the guys who did Shaun and Hot Fuzz, however it just simply doesnt deliver, like the previous films did. A very odd one.
  • Deleted user 23 November 2013 23:07:56
    dead man walking,,,shit

i have had a terrible week

wolverine 2/10
    pacific rim 2/10
    id thief 4/10
    dead man walking 2/10
  • monkehhh 23 Nov 2013 23:20:49 3,125 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Man of Tai Chi

Strange stuff.. a predominantly Chinese film, directed by and featuring Keanu Reeves (!, as the bad guy), about Tai Chi and its use in an underground to-the-death fight club. Also has a cameo from Iko Uwais (the main guy in The Raid) and contains some good looking fights. I really didn't know what to expect but I enjoyed it.

(7/10?)

Edited by monkehhh at 08:07:31 24-11-2013
  • Garlvinlandblueblood 24 Nov 2013 00:18:18 365 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Blue is the Warmest Colour - 10/10

Bloody amazing. Just don't watch it with the girlfriend. She won't appreciate your reaction to 'certain scenes'
  • onestepfromlost 24 Nov 2013 00:42:29 1,965 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Aftershock - 5/10 at a push

Watchable kind of, didn't really like any of the characters at all, no empathy, couldn't have cared less if they died, also stupid twist in it towards the end.
  • onestepfromlost 24 Nov 2013 03:03:21 1,965 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Deathstalker 10/10

Just don't make films like this anymore :)
  • sirtacos 24 Nov 2013 12:15:42 7,205 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I Am Sam

Awful.

2/10
  • Rhaegyr 24 Nov 2013 13:10:13 1,109 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Le Samourai

Probably the coolest film I've seen.

8/10
  • thelzdking 24 Nov 2013 22:10:20 3,955 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    When The Wind Blows - 9/10

This is probably the bleakest film I have ever seen. The attitudes of the characters is gut-wrenching - "Let's sit in the garden for a bit, Dear." It was around 80 minutes long, but it felt much, much longer. It's a brilliant film but I don't think I will want to watch it again very soon.
  • RichieTenenbaum 24 Nov 2013 22:35:14 2,156 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The Watch. The idea to 'adult' it up with swears sucked all joy and wit out of the film. It's basically a terrible Ghost Busters. 30 (Ayoade is quite good in it and it made me laugh three times). Also: I have no idea how Vince Vaughn gets work. The man is a charisma vacuum.

Ruby Sparks. Quite a good antidote to all those films like Garden State where a lonely man meets a kooky girl who changes his life. Actually gets rather dark. If the ending wasn't absolute shit I'd give it a good 90 (it helps that Paul Dano is in it. He is an incredible actor who could bring gravitas to anything). Unfortunetely it should have ended 2 minutes earlier. 80. Really recommend it, though. It seems like it was overlooked on release and it's beautifully made.
  • oldschoolsoviet 24 Nov 2013 23:34:32 5,413 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hope Springs - 6/10

Settled, rundown married couple seek guidance to pep things up from a small town counsellor .Meh. Hoped for more, but Carrel's subdued as ever, and TLJ sleepwalks yet again, leaving Streep as the standout. Kills an afternoon, but barely sparkles.

Adore - 7/10

Australian drama, with two lifelong friends living blissfully on the coast. Except one begins an affair with the other's son, only to be replicated in return, sparking massive changes.

Funnier viewed as a confidence battle between Robin Wright and Naomi Watts. Watts is lovely, but the honours go to Wright for being proud to flaunt, forgoing the 'flattering' shots (favoured ? :p) by the former. Typically soapish drama, but with the kinky direction, it's considerably darker in tone. Weird but engaging.

Prince Avalanche - 3/10

Ehh.....? "Paul Rudd's salute to Texas road maintenance workers" is the closest description I can think of, that tries far, far too hard to be arty/indie, almost forced past the point somewhat. Follows two workers as they repair a forest road after a huge fire in '88, with 'quirky' dialogue, 'colourful' encounters with strangers, and a helluva lot of 'scenic' pan shots with the empty instrumental of some 'cool' band who scored the film.

Bar one standout performance from 'Moses', and scarce gags, it's a fairly difficult watch.

McCanik - 7/10

SEE WHAT WE DID ?! Don't let the poor title disuade you, as this bleak tale of David Morse playing his favourite, "broken down cop" is pretty decent. Enough twists and reveals as you work through the plot, and Morse revels in a safe role, with decent support from a few faces.
  • khaz 25 Nov 2013 08:12:17 2,572 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rififi

Hadn't seen it in a long time. I doubt a better heist film exists. The silent final thirty minutes is a masterpiece of film.

Edited by khaz at 08:12:51 25-11-2013
  • rockavitch 25 Nov 2013 08:35:21 263 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Catching Fire: 95/100

Enjoyed it quite a bit, made some sense out of few niggles I had with first one. Docked 5 points for not explaining one or two things that only book readers would notice leaving me having to answer a few questions for girlfriend who hasn't read books but has seen first film a few times.

Follow me on Twitter @MikeRockavitch ... from a distance of course ... No fat chicks ...

• IronGiant 25 Nov 2013 09:24:45 4,421 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Worlds End - 5/10 A bit shit sadly.
  • imamazed 25 Nov 2013 09:27:35 5,450 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Raid

It is what it is.

Roundhousekick/10
  • kalel 25 Nov 2013 09:35:06 83,871 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:

This is probably the bleakest film I have ever seen. The attitudes of the characters is gut-wrenching - "Let's sit in the garden for a bit, Dear." It was around 80 minutes long, but it felt much, much longer. It's a brilliant film but I don't think I will want to watch it again very soon.
    I saw this when I was about 6, thinking it was going to be similar to The Snowman.

Think it might have longterm affected my capacity for happiness.
  • khaz 25 Nov 2013 09:39:29 2,572 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Is this the 80s animated film with a sweet art design?

/googles

That's the one. Yeah, bleak as hell but I love the film. Its a very British film; I can't ever imagine it being made anywhere else. Only a British film could ever approach what the film is talking about in such a straightfoward manner.

Edited by khaz at 09:40:47 25-11-2013
  • nickthegun 25 Nov 2013 09:45:02 55,848 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, I read the book when I was quite young and, even though I didnt really understand about radiation poisoning, you just *know* they are in trouble.

I only watched the movie a few years ago, possibly when they did the slightly crappy Snowman 2: The Snow Dog and it is such a weird experience. Typical britishness in the face of utter horror.

On a side note, I love Raymond Briggs. Fungus the Bogeyman and Gentlemen Jim should be required reading.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Dante_Cubit 25 Nov 2013 10:27:03 1,842 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    thelzdking wrote:

I saw this when I was about 6, thinking it was going to be similar to The Snowman.

Think it might have longterm affected my capacity for happiness.
    Thinking it might be like The Snowman is a fairly epic mistake. For something in that realm you should watch Grave of the Fireflies.
  • kalel 25 Nov 2013 10:30:00 83,871 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well, it's also by Raymond Briggs and has an identical visual style because of it, so it's a reasonable error for a six year old really.
  • nickthegun 25 Nov 2013 10:34:33 55,848 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    But you did have that time machine to go and watch grave of the fireflies, so it wasnt a total loss.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Dougs 25 Nov 2013 10:36:32 64,891 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's similar to my mum trying to hire Italian Stallion from the video shop for me when I was about 8 or 9. Well, it must be like Rocky, it's got Stallone in it...
  • Architect_z 25 Nov 2013 12:07:54 2,301 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hansel and Gretel: 50%

Its Van Helsing with witches. And Hansel looks like Jeremy Kyle
  • MadCaddy13 25 Nov 2013 12:11:25 1,840 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    sirtacos wrote:
    I Am Sam

Awful.

2/10
    Never go full retard
  • beastmaster 25 Nov 2013 13:15:01 10,175 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Brothers Bloom - 3.5/10

Hugely disappointing film from the director of Brick and Looper.

Even though it's got a great cast, I didn't find the characters or plot that interesting.

Superman 4 - The Quest for Peace - 1/10

I had forgotten how truly awful this film is. What happened to the budget? Had the sequels flopped that badly that nobody was interested? I suspect it was may have been more to do with nobody being interested in a story about Superman riding the world of nuclear weapons.

The opening titles sequence looks cheap and it just get's worse from there on in. Even John Williams seems to have lost interest and farted out the score.

The plot is about Superman riding the world of nukes and Lex creating Nuclear Man to destroy Superman. There's one scene where Superman gets all the nukes in a net in space and flings them all into the sun.

Okay, it's a Superman film and therefore you have to have some suspension of disbelief. However, where on Earth (or anywhere else for that matter) did he manage to get a net big enough to fit in all the nukes?

The editing is also terrible. There's one scene where Supes runs and jumps into the air. You can see Reeve on the way down from his jump before it cuts to the scene of Supes flying in the air.

Is there anything good in this? Not much. Christoper Reeve's performance is brilliant as always. There's also a scene in which Lois and some blonde bimbo double date Clark and Supes. That is a very well put together and funny scene. The rest of the film is garbage.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• glaeken 25 Nov 2013 13:17:36 10,976 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have never actually seen Superman 4. I kind of feel like I should see it even though I know it's said to be terrible.
  • -cerberus- 25 Nov 2013 14:57:05 2,082 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Jagten (The Hunt)

Impressive though a bit far-fetched in places.

8/10

---

Lord of the Flies

Absolutely fascinating and full of symbolism. Also, this would make a great RPG game!

8/10

Edited by -cerberus- at 14:59:44 25-11-2013

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• Page

of 2585 First / Last