Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2388

• Page

of 2601 First / Last

• Bremenacht 22 Nov 2013 12:59:04 15,819 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Then of course there's the proposed Exbendabellas film. Let's not even go there.
    !?

No!? No? NOOOOOOO! NO! No no no no no no no.

mmm

Yes.. yes. Yes. YES! Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes!

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• espibara 22 Nov 2013 13:19:13 4,163 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Robocop (2014) 2/10

SHIT!!!!

Sorry I tried to like it.

For me Robocop 1987 is an action classic nasty and brutal, wrapped in black humour and satire. So maybe I'm coming from a biased viewpoint.

The new one lacks soul, sure the production design is more modern and shiny, but putting him on a bike just made me think of Street Hawk..........cue the Tangerine Dream theme tune.

Whereas 87 robocop looked mean and heavy the new one is sleek and moves fast. Which just looks totally wrong. In the 87 Robocop you actually felt Alex Murphy was now a machine, the coldness the slow heavy exaggerated slow walking gait the robotic voice etc.

In this new one it feels like he's just man in a bullet proof suit, buzzing round on a bike.

Even the action is muted down to PG-13 via the inclusion of robot vs robot shooting so no blood just bangs.

Everything in this is wrong, remember how the gang sadisticly and slowly blew Weller apart with shotguns and guns in the 87 version, in this its a quick car bomb. All the small details are just quickly glossed over.

There is not a single thing this does better apart from the better ED209 effects. Even Keaton, Jackson and Oldman are phoning it in.

Robocop fans will watch it but keep in mind its shit. I bet Verhoeven is pissed.

WHy do action films now have to be totally non violent?

Edited by espibara at 13:20:45 22-11-2013
  • Load_2.0 22 Nov 2013 13:22:49 18,234 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    "putting him on a bike just made me think of Street Hawk"

Exactly what I thought when I watched the trailer.
  • Khanivor 22 Nov 2013 13:29:54 39,907 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's said as if it's a bad thing.
  • vijay_UK 22 Nov 2013 14:32:00 1,696 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country.

This is how a Trek movie should be made, an almost perfect film. The right level of energy and action, with it's many humorous moments. The performances are spot on, Christopher Plummer was superb as the Shakespeare loving General Chang. Iman was good also, as well as David Warner as Chancellor in a small role. Although he was in the lead role, William Shatner never tries to dominate the film and gives the film a real good balance with a fine performance alongside his real best friend as WoK showed, not what the last two Star Treks have been digging at (I might be wrong here).

Kirk: Where's that damn torpedo?
    McCoy: It's ready Jim, lock and load!
    beep beep beep...

Fabulous stuff. 10/10.
  • espibara 22 Nov 2013 14:37:24 4,163 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    vijay_UK wrote:
    Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country.

This is how a Trek movie should be made, an almost perfect film. The right level of energy and action, with it's many humorous moments. The performances are spot on, Christopher Plummer was superb as the Shakespeare loving General Chang. Iman was good also, as well as David Warner as Chancellor in a small role. Although he was in the lead role, William Shatner never tries to dominate the film and gives the film a real good balance with a fine performance alongside his real best friend as WoK showed, not what the last two Star Treks have been digging at (I might be wrong here).

Kirk: Where's that damn torpedo?
    McCoy: It's ready Jim, lock and load!
    beep beep beep...

Fabulous stuff. 10/10.
    Sure the old Trek films varied in quality but I really fucking despise the new ones with a passion. They are just crapping all over the Trek legacy
  • nickthegun 22 Nov 2013 14:39:34 56,034 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    espibara wrote:
    Robocop (2014) 2/10

SHIT!!!!
    Brilliant news. I was really worried that this would be rubbish and crap over the robocop legacy.

Im really looking forward to it now.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• DUFFMAN5 22 Nov 2013 14:45:35 13,829 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    espibara wrote:
    Robocop (2014) 2/10

SHIT!!!!

Sorry I tried to like it.

For me Robocop 1987 is an action classic nasty and brutal, wrapped in black humour and satire. So maybe I'm coming from a biased viewpoint.

The new one lacks soul, sure the production design is more modern and shiny, but putting him on a bike just made me think of Street Hawk..........cue the Tangerine Dream theme tune.

Whereas 87 robocop looked mean and heavy the new one is sleek and moves fast. Which just looks totally wrong. In the 87 Robocop you actually felt Alex Murphy was now a machine, the coldness the slow heavy exaggerated slow walking gait the robotic voice etc.

Even the action is muted down to PG-13 via the inclusion of robot vs robot shooting so no blood just bangs.

WHy do action films now have to be totally non violent?
    Agree with everthing you have said. I love the first one, hasn't aged brilliantly but it was the 80's man...you had to be there ;)

As for action. Rambo (IV) was at least full on 80's style violent, like it or lothe it.

My last viewing was World War Z totally enjoyed it, I know that is not cool to say, but I have not read any of the books, nor do I know anything of the lore. Me and the woman, curry on laps, kids in bed, movies on demand, job done :)

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• TheHammerite 22 Nov 2013 15:21:05 1,512 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dead Birds - 5/10

A few good scenes does not a good movie make.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 22 Nov 2013 15:28:45 24,597 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Star Trek Into Darkness - 75%

Just watched it. Thought it was alright to be honest. The final action piece went on a bit too long, but overall I quite enjoyed it.
  • sirtacos 22 Nov 2013 15:39:12 7,205 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mal wrote:
    A documentary on BBC4 earlier tonight called 'Blackfish - The Whale That Killed' is a gripping and affecting story

9/10
    How does it compare in intensity to, say, The Cove?
  • BeardedGamerUK 22 Nov 2013 20:12:49 1,009 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Body of Lies - 7.5 out of 10.
  • Gambit1977 22 Nov 2013 20:15:03 9,572 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    man of tai chi
    Keanu should make more like this/10
  • PearOfAnguish 22 Nov 2013 21:02:32 6,992 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    2 Guns - 7/10

Formulaic but it was a fucking blast. Great chemistry between Denzel and Marky Mark, very reminiscent of Lethal Weapon.
  • oldschoolsoviet 22 Nov 2013 21:50:28 5,418 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gravity (2D :p) - 3/10

I'm guessing the 3D adds the missing 'depth', as this turned into an average rollercoaster ride pretty damn quickly. Even thought at points it'd turn into something more metaphorical......but no.

Might do lots for the medium of 3D, and immersion, and Bullock's self esteem via the numerous changing scenes, but I was expecting something far greater than the empty black void presented before me, given the glowing praise abound.

Oscar talk ? Pfffff. Technically perhaps, but certainly nothing else.

The Family - 3/10

Oh dear. Besson gets worse by the film. Cue DeNiro as former Mob man in WPP, settling into the family's new French locale. Cue clichéd cultural differences, an under utilised cast, and TLJ looking more despondent than ever before.

The less said about the school-age, teacher seducing (and up-against-door fucking) daughter, who turns to killing henchmen, before running and screaming like all damsels in a satin virgin-white dress during a chase sequence.......christ. A jumbled mess.

The Art of Getting By - 5/10

Standard coming-of-age, teenage love, angst and smart arsery blah, blah, blah....

Functional, but with a delightful soundtrack that had me rummaging for albums I haven't heard in years.
  • SYS64738 22 Nov 2013 22:08:10 1,520 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Internship

Did not laugh one. single. time. As a comedy (ok I know it was *really* meant to be a promo vehicle for Google but still) it failed miserably.

And the constant pimping of Google products and the underlying message that all jobs are shit except for them made me sick.

0/10
  • Kostabi 22 Nov 2013 22:35:15 4,671 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't think I've seen anyone in this thread venture higher than a 2 for The Internship. It really is shit on a stick.
  • Deckard1 22 Nov 2013 22:37:12 25,499 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The trailer was enough to let me know never to watch it.

Called it

• SYS64738 22 Nov 2013 23:28:13 1,520 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Luckily got it as a free rental offer. Read the reviews on Imdb and most were pretty much in line with what I experienced tonight, although a mate told me it was not too bad. Will tell him to get his humour sensors fixed.

As a documentary about what life is like at Google it's probably not too bad, as I see the same cut and paste smug hipster twats outside their office (and right next to my apartment block) kifflom-ing each other IRL on a daily basis.
  • Mola_Ram 22 Nov 2013 23:47:31 6,284 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I dunno, I have a friend who works at the Sydney google office, and it's been anything but fun for him. Even with all the cool stuff.

And if he's any indication, many google employees find that movie enormously embarrassing.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 23:49:08 22-11-2013
  • mal 23 Nov 2013 03:29:14 22,008 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @sirtacos

Not seen The Cove so can't compare (though I'll keep an eye out for it). But given blackfish had videos of people being attacked and dying, I suspect it's a little more gruesome. Dunno. Blackfish will be on t'iplayer for a few days yet - go watch it and let me know!

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Dougs 23 Nov 2013 07:40:38 64,963 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Moneyball - 7.5/10. Do like Brad Pitt as an actor, and thought this was a  decent watch, it could have been exceptionally dull given the subject matter.
  • Gambit1977 23 Nov 2013 07:42:59 9,572 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    is it true that Jonah Hill is really good in it?
  • Dougs 23 Nov 2013 07:46:07 64,963 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    He is pretty good. Plays a nervous fat bloke again, but it's quite effective
  • Gambit1977 23 Nov 2013 07:48:06 9,572 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's been on my to watch list for some time now. Think I'll have to remedy that, cheers.
  • Dougs 23 Nov 2013 08:41:30 64,963 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You can also witness Pitt's transformation into Robert Redford! It's quite uncanny.
  • PearOfAnguish 23 Nov 2013 10:42:39 6,992 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Kostabi wrote:
    I don't think I've seen anyone in this thread venture higher than a 2 for The Internship. It really is shit on a stick.
    http://www.theonion.com/video/the-internship-poised-to-be-biggest-comedy-of-2005,32682/

Edited by PearOfAnguish at 10:42:57 23-11-2013
  • FWB 23 Nov 2013 10:45:22 42,066 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Wolverine 3/10

Does nothing to develop the character. Could have been anyone running around. Super predictable too. Has all the cliches, including an over stylised Japan.
  • Load_2.0 23 Nov 2013 11:35:29 18,234 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    man of tai chi
    Keanu should make more like this/10
    Yeah I liked this as well, the fights were fantastic and the way they shot them was brilliant, they really flowed rather than being edited together afterwards. Proper old school Hong Kong martial arts movie but with decent production.
  • Deleted user 23 November 2013 11:49:26
    The Hunt

Havn't been so gripped by a film in a long time. Hugely impressive. Its a hard watch though, the film is a about a nursey worker , ex teacher who is wrongly accused of child abuse - so its pretty heavy in its themes. Not only does it show the destruction of a man life, but the film also deals with the other side of the coin in such a way, you can see why the community turns on the main character. The last scenes i thought were extraordinary, the traits of several characters were wonderfully captured in just mere seconds of footage.

Its wonderfully shot, and the script is tip top, every line i hung on.

Highley recommended 10/10

Edited by joelstinton at 11:50:31 23-11-2013

Edited by joelstinton at 15:28:50 23-11-2013
  • Page

of 2601 First / Last