Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2387

• Page

of 2767 First / Last

• kalel 21 Nov 2013 09:09:05 87,593 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I really like Tucker and Dale vs Evil. A lot.

It's interesting how much scope there is in the "knowing meta horror self-parody" genre. It's also weird how other genres don't seem to be able to pull off the same trick.
  • Deleted user 21 November 2013 13:14:09
    So guys... is gravity worth seeing in 2D? Its a bit of a hassle to see it in 3d for me (journey time, getting a day to go on with other people)
  • lordofthedunce 21 Nov 2013 13:28:00 375 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @joelstinton

Yes
  • Rhaegyr 21 Nov 2013 13:28:14 1,688 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Everyone seems to think the film suddenly loses all meaning if not seen in 3D or IMAX, which I'd say is bullshit. I will say it's the only time I've thought 3D added to the experience significantly, unlike films like Avatar and Life of Pi.

Personally, I'd say it's a great film either way.
  • OllyJ 21 Nov 2013 14:39:07 3,265 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gravity 78/100

Better than I expected but not as good as what I was told by many, in my opinion. 3D was really good, Clooney was top. Over all a decent film.

Captain Phillips really gave me the tension I wanted, that film was stunningly good.
  • kalel 21 Nov 2013 15:03:19 87,593 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Captain Phillips looks extremely similar to the Danish film The Hijacking, which is also excellent.
  • disusedgenius 21 Nov 2013 15:33:51 5,315 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    So guys... is gravity worth seeing in 2D? Its a bit of a hassle to see it in 3d for me (journey time, getting a day to go on with other people)
    The biggest thing you need for Gravity is the loudest sound system you can find. The 3D is nice and all, but it's the sound design that really makes for the 'must see in the cinema' thing.
  • OllyJ 21 Nov 2013 15:56:13 3,265 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    joelstinton wrote:
    The biggest thing you need for Gravity is the loudest sound system you can find. The 3D is nice and all, but it's the sound design that really makes for the 'must see in the cinema' thing.
    100% agree, sounded incredible.
  • muttler 21 Nov 2013 20:04:59 4,026 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Battle Los Angles (blu ray)

Jesus Christ, how shit is this film?  I thought special effects, sci fi action, blu ray, it's bound to be at least watchable.

After a promising-ish start it proceeds to go absolutely nowhere.

Fell asleep/10
  • Defecationqueen 21 Nov 2013 20:46:29 550 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Pacific Rimjob

May contain spoilers!
    Story: A giant crater is guilty of pushing out nasty, slimy things which upset the population of planet Earth. These nasty things come in different shapes and sizes but are generally dark in colour. Earth's only defence is to try and push these unwanted objects back into the crater from when they came. The solution is to use a big, red object to tease around the outside of the crater, round and round, before thrusting in deep to prevent any more of the unwanted creatures poking their heads out.

It's an entertaining film with good special effects. For example, the crater resembles a ring of fire which extends back far like a pipe. Also look out for the crabs. They apparently cause itching.

Good stuff

7/10.
  • Deleted user 21 November 2013 21:31:00
    Pacific rim.

I don't know where to start, I would of loved it when I was ten?

Utter utter garbage. Cheesy, embarrassing, poor acting, shit story, stupid concept etc.

I can not believe this is from the same director as brilliant films like labyrinth! Thank god he didn't direct the hobbit.

2/10 for amazing visual effects.
  • Mola_Ram 21 Nov 2013 21:35:24 7,386 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Choppi wrote:
    Pacific rim.

Utter utter garbage. Cheesy, embarrassing, poor acting, shit story, stupid concept etc.

I can not believe this is from the same director as brilliant films like labyrinth! Thank god he didn't direct the hobbit.

Jim Henson directed Pacific Rim?!? I thought he was dead!
  • WoodenSpoon 21 Nov 2013 21:36:26 12,285 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Defecationqueen wrote:
    Pacific Rimjob

Good stuff

7/10.
    8/10 amusing sock!
  • Deleted user 21 November 2013 21:39:01
    Okay dickbreath pans labyrinth. :)
    Ps no offense re insult. X
  • mal 21 Nov 2013 23:27:45 22,525 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    A documentary on BBC4 earlier tonight called 'Blackfish - The Whale That Killed' is a gripping and affecting story of corporate manslaughter and animal welfare. It's quite gruesome in places, and the footage they've got of the incidents is incredible and quite upsetting, but if you can watch them without turning it off it really is a fascinating story.

9/10

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• -cerberus- 21 Nov 2013 23:32:39 2,831 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @mal Interesting!
    EDIT: Nevermind

Edited by -cerberus- at 23:34:33 21-11-2013

Take the plastic bag challenge to cure stupidity.

• wobbly_Bob 22 Nov 2013 00:16:15 1,747 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Choppi wrote:
    Pacific rim.

You are dead inside and dead to me! :)
  • beastmaster 22 Nov 2013 00:39:29 11,412 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hunger Games 2 - 7/10

First off a rant and a warning to anyone who's thinking of going to the 'IMAX' at the Odeon in the Trafford Centre. IMAX my arse! It's got a very clear picture and suberb sound but so have plenty of other screens. This is the problem. I've been in much bigger screens at my local Cineworld, AMC, Vue...The IMAX at the Odeon In Manchester dwarfs this screen. It's at least 5 times bigger. So to ask for £17 for a Premier seat there is a total con. I won't be ever going back there ever again.

As for the film, it's a significant improvement over the exceptionally poor original. Not that I can remember much about it. So taking this film as a stand alone, I found it actually pretty good. Especially once you accept that in the arena in which the Hunger Games happen, pretty much anything goes and can happen.

It's darker, probably a bit more violent and somehow manages to be a lot more interesting than the first one. I suppose with the original all the boring character background stuff has been done and they can just crack on with telling the story. There's also a lot more Woody which helps things immensely.

I've not read the books but I was reliably assured on the way out that it's true to the source material. the CGI is decent, it has more interesting characters and although action sequences have never been a high point with this franchise, what they have is done well. The film ends on a kind of cliffhanger and I'm surprised that I'm quite keen for the next instalment.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Miss_Jade 22 Nov 2013 01:08:35 10 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    OllyJ wrote:
    Gravity 78/100

Better than I expected but not as good as what I was told by many, in my opinion. 3D was really good, Clooney was top. Over all a decent film.

Captain Phillips really gave me the tension I wanted, that film was stunningly good.

Couln't have put it better myself! Have convinced my friends to see it with me- excited to watch it on a bigger screen :D

To the edge of the universe and back, endure and survive...

• Soton4084 22 Nov 2013 02:31:23 73 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @jonsaan

Before I went to see The Amazing Spiderman at the cinema I thought it was a bit pointless rebooting it, particularly as I liked the previous three films (although Spiderman 3 wasn't as good as 1 and 2).

But the film won me over and I personally prefer Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker/Spidey.

I guess it's all down to personal preference, but I really enjoyed it.

Edited by Soton4084 at 02:31:51 22-11-2013
  • HarryPalmer 22 Nov 2013 09:16:07 3,319 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Stoker - 9/10

If you're a fan of Park Chan Wook or anything gothic then this is a must.

A really weird and satisfying thriller. Visually stunning, some of the shots are breathtaking. I thought everyone in it was great too, Matthew Goode is creepy to the max.
  • kinky_mong 22 Nov 2013 11:58:42 10,273 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @beastmaster A lot of reviews have said that Jennifer Lawrence is becoming "the action woman cinema needs" in this film. Does that mean she does more than hide in a tree and threaten to eat some berries this time?

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• beastmaster 22 Nov 2013 12:10:10 11,412 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @kinky_mong

A little bit more. There are scenes of what you may call mild peril.

As far as her action chops goes, it looks as though she could handle herself in an all out action film quite easily. Quite possibly make a good Lara Croft.

• craigy Staff 22 Nov 2013 12:11:49 7,652 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wasn't Gina Carano the most recent "action woman cinema needs"? I'm sure her work in Haywire shits all over what Lawrence gets up to in the new Hungry Hippos movie.
  • nickthegun 22 Nov 2013 12:13:24 59,890 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Youre thinking of Cynthia Rothrock

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• kinky_mong 22 Nov 2013 12:14:33 10,273 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    As far as her action chops goes, it looks as though she could handle herself in an all out action film quite easily. Quite possibly make a good Lara Croft.
    Personally I would very much like to see her dressed as the old style, tight top and hot pants, Lara Croft.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• Load_2.0 22 Nov 2013 12:15:51 19,258 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gina Carano's fights were top notch in F&F 6.
  • Deckard1 22 Nov 2013 12:18:46 27,981 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Jennifer Lawrence can act though. And I love her. Despite her ruining her beautiful hair.
  • beastmaster 22 Nov 2013 12:19:23 11,412 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yep, no doubt that Gina has got what it takes. Totally forgot about her.

There won't be another Underworld film and there's one one Resident Evil film before the reboot so Kate Beckinsale and Mila Jovovich will soon be out of the picture on the "action woman" front.

There's also Scarlett Johansson of course. She's currently filming Lucy, a film about a drug mule who ends up with super powers or some shit like that. It's Luc Besson directing though, so who knows what that's going to end up like. Again, another condenser for "action woman".

Then of course there's the proposed Exbendabellas film. Let's not even go there.

Edited by beastmaster at 12:20:16 22-11-2013

• Bremenacht 22 Nov 2013 12:56:57 18,222 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Hunger Games 2 - 7/10
    As for the film, it's a significant improvement over the exceptionally poor original. Not that I can remember much about it.
    ?

Anyway. I thought the first was Ok. Thought the second would be a bit crap, so pleased to read it's good. They've got to drop the ball at some point though - two films out of the last book is gonna be a tall order.

Anyone know the origin of 'tall order' btw?
  • Page

of 2767 First / Last