• Page

of 2800 First / Last

• khaz 31 Oct 2013 08:18:44 2,815 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    khaz wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:
    I thought Judge Dredd just seemed a little to mean for my tastes. Did he really have to shoot all those people? I think not.
    That's pretty much how Dredd always is though.
    Yeah but does he really need to be? He's a police officer. They way he just started killing people and stuff just seemed out of order to me.
    That's the whole point. In Dredd's universe, they aren't police officers. Police "enforcers" is a closer description.

The movie is a pretty decent representation of the comic books and the Judges - Dredd in particular. The Judges are the great white sharks enforcing a sense of order on a population that are sharks themselves.

Edited by khaz at 08:19:33 31-10-2013
  • Mola_Ram 31 Oct 2013 08:22:07 7,682 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    khaz wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:
    khaz wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:
    I thought Judge Dredd just seemed a little to mean for my tastes. Did he really have to shoot all those people? I think not.
    Yeah but does he really need to be? He's a police officer. They way he just started killing people and stuff just seemed out of order to me.
    That's the whole point. In Dredd's universe, they aren't police officers. Police "enforcers" is a closer description.

The movie is a pretty decent representation of the comic books and the Judges - Dredd in particular. The Judges are the great white sharks enforcing a sense of order on a population that are sharks themselves.

he's taking the piss.
  • khaz 31 Oct 2013 08:24:14 2,815 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Me or him?
  • Mola_Ram 31 Oct 2013 08:25:30 7,682 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Judging from history, him.

You, I don't know. You could be upping the stakes.
  • Mr_Sleep 31 Oct 2013 09:42:43 17,182 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    Don't, it's truly awful. It would honestly be a waste of 2 hours. Instead maybe phone a relative, go for a walk in the park, plant a tree, stroke a cat, write an actual letter. It's such a crap film, there are so many better things to be done.
    Does it live in the so bad it's bad category then? That is an impressive feat, it's rare that any film achieves that. I'm almost in awe. I'll stroke my cat.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Youthist 31 Oct 2013 09:46:12 10,027 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    khaz wrote:
    Me or him?
    you

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• Deleted user 31 October 2013 09:53:42
    Still hoping for a dredd vs batman movie. It probably be shit. but i still want it to happen.
  • khaz 31 Oct 2013 10:04:44 2,815 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I would actually like the Batman vs. Predator comic to be adapted. Its really good.
  • Deckard1 31 Oct 2013 10:11:19 28,713 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've always found the Predator an unusual character. Why does he have to be so violent?
  • kalel 31 Oct 2013 10:12:40 88,408 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Vs things are complicated due to the various rights issues, but things like Avengers and the upcoming Superman Vs Batman film are making these things a bit more likely.

I think the world is pretty much done with standard superhero movies now, and are ready for the "Vs" phase of milking it.
  • Dougs 31 Oct 2013 10:13:05 68,385 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Freaking beatniks.
  • Madder-Max 31 Oct 2013 10:34:37 11,660 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    About Now you see me. Whatever innit. I found it entertaining and the french woman is lovely.

Alien vs Predator requiem. 2/10. Its been sat in my tivo box for weeks so just got round to watching it. This is a brilliant example of how not to make a vs movie. So many holes I could sieve pasta with it.

Edited by Madder-Max at 10:37:46 31-10-2013

99 problems and being ginger is one

• imamazed 31 Oct 2013 10:38:55 5,784 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My favourite was Kramer Vs. Kramer
  • -cerberus- 31 Oct 2013 10:43:13 3,143 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Madder-Max wrote: Alien vs Predator requiem. 2/10. Its been sat in my tivo box for weeks so just got round to watching it. This is a brilliant example of how not to make a vs movie. So many holes I could sieve pasta with it.
    Unpopular opinion: I actually prefer this one to the original. Both are fuckin' terrible but at least Requiem had gore and balls (the hybrid orally impregnating women).

Take the plastic bag challenge to cure stupidity.

• Kew1Melon 31 Oct 2013 10:51:22 413 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Passenger 57

75% just cos' of Snipes' shit one liners.

You have an imagination barrier.

• Madder-Max 31 Oct 2013 10:53:00 11,660 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    She shoots an alien through the chopper windscreen and it magically stays intact! (It had to otherwise the film was in trouble)

Its also funny how resistant to alien acid the main cast is!

99 problems and being ginger is one

• Mr_Sleep 31 Oct 2013 10:55:19 17,182 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I think the world is pretty much done with standard superhero movies now
    Yeah, I'm pretty much done with it, I think the collective creaming over Avengers Assemble did it for me. I thought it was average and it was probably one of the better examples of what they intend to do with these franchises. I really like Ang Lee's Hulk though, so I may have no idea.

You are a factory of sadness.

• TarickStonefire 31 Oct 2013 10:58:47 3,240 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    French Connection II: 7/10

1975 'cop' movie with Gene Hackman, you say? He steals every scene, especially the ones where he gets REALLY FUCKING ANGRY, you say? He's kidnapped by the baddies and hooked on heroin and two-thirds of the 120 minute movie is him going cold turkey, before getting REALLY REALLY FUCKING MEGA ULTRA ANGRY about it (as you would) and heading out to nail the bad guys with a vengeance, you say? Bizarre, classic 1970s-style sudden-cut-to-black ending, you say?

Good stuff :)

Edited by TarickStonefire at 11:01:39 31-10-2013

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 31 Oct 2013 11:03:19 3,240 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    -cerberus- wrote:
    Madder-Max wrote: Alien vs Predator requiem. 2/10. Its been sat in my tivo box for weeks so just got round to watching it. This is a brilliant example of how not to make a vs movie. So many holes I could sieve pasta with it.
    Unpopular opinion: I actually prefer this one to the original. Both are fuckin' terrible but at least Requiem had gore and balls (the hybrid orally impregnating women).
    I like both the AVP movies, but this one is more fun, agreed.

Why people get SO upset about them I have no idea. Yes, they could have been done entirely differently. Yes, that would have been cool. But no, it was never going to happen and yes, you should just shut up, eat your popcorn and enjoy the show.

• TarickStonefire 31 Oct 2013 11:05:13 3,240 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    khaz wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:
    It seemed out of order to you because you didn't know anything about the character. If you knew anything about the character you wouldn't question it.

You may as well ask "Why does Superman fly? It's so unrealistic."

Sorry, I'm in an easily-provoked mood this morning! ;)

Edited by TarickStonefire at 11:06:41 31-10-2013

• kalel 31 Oct 2013 11:06:41 88,408 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Character motivation is a pretty standard requirement as it goes. It's one of the absolute fundamentals of writing.
  • TarickStonefire 31 Oct 2013 11:07:54 3,240 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Character motivation is a pretty standard requirement as it goes. It's one of the absolute fundamentals of writing.
    I guess they figured most people watching a Dredd movie would know he's a hard-nosed take-no-prisoners kind of cop, working a brutal city where life is harsh. I don't think they needed to do much more to set that up than they did, personally.

• Deckard1 31 Oct 2013 11:10:12 28,713 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I was quite clearly taking the piss
  • Mola_Ram 31 Oct 2013 11:12:17 7,682 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The clue is that Deckard1 is always taking the piss.
  • imamazed 31 Oct 2013 11:12:23 5,784 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    I guess they figured most people watching a Dredd movie would know he's a hard-nosed take-no-prisoners kind of cop, working a brutal city where life is harsh. I don't think they needed to do much more to set that up than they did, personally.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnNrwmk2RIk
  • -cerberus- 31 Oct 2013 11:14:14 3,143 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote: Why people get SO upset about them I have no idea.
    Because those movies are retarded. They shat all over what used to be respected icons of sci-fi horror.

Take the plastic bag challenge to cure stupidity.

• khaz 31 Oct 2013 11:23:35 2,815 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I like Ang Lee's Hulk too (except those dogs, wtf?).
  • FWB 31 Oct 2013 11:57:30 44,838 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    White House Down 7/10

Super duper over the top shite. Goes through your typical American propaganda film and out the other end, stamping on every inch of reality. Good stuff. Topped up with a wonderfully absurd, smug ending. Kept chuckling throughout.
  • Mola_Ram 31 Oct 2013 12:00:49 7,682 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yes, it was rather entertaining.
  • Triggerhappytel 31 Oct 2013 14:09:37 2,695 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Drag Me To Hell
    Yeah, it was alright. A bit silly in places but coming from Raimi that's no surprise. The scares were a bit stupid and in-your-face, whereas I'm more of a fan of the creeping dread style of horror. 6/10

Paranormal Activity 2
    I really enjoyed the first film and while their efforts to tie this one back to that mostly worked, the premise was more forced and the 'scares' were mostly just doors opening on their own. I thought the first was a lot more effective and creepy. 5/10

Sinister
    Again, merely an 'okay' horror film. I found the image and idea of Baghuul quite creepy (probably helped that I was alone in the house watching it last night), but the big plot revelation wasn't all that interesting and I really don't think much of Ethan Hawke as an actor. 6/10

Grabbers
    A horror-comedy a bit like Shaun of the Dead meets Attack the Block meets Father Ted. Aliens crash into the sea just off a small isolated Irish island, and while the aliens must feed on blood, alcohol in the blood stream is poisonous to them. So basically the community has to get pissed and out-last them. Really enjoyable, great comedy, good acting and really decent special effects. 7.5/10

Watched all of these on Netflix.
  • Page

of 2800 First / Last