Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2363

• Page

of 2800 First / Last

• Dgzter 21 Oct 2013 12:48:46 203 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Great to see The Conversation getting some love: wonderful film, and a masterclass in both tension and general espionage storytelling :)

I'd also recommend Three Days of the Condor for another contemporaneous classic. Robert Redford and Max von Sydow are totally boss!
  • Dgzter 21 Oct 2013 12:49:50 203 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Actually the only film I can recall in recent memory that even comes close to matching 70s/80s espionage flicks would be Enemy of the State.

./he says with trepidation
  • RichieTenenbaum 21 Oct 2013 13:00:50 2,223 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Juror

Dwayne Johnson plays an ex-marine member of jury who are all been bought off or threatened by a mob boss played by Christopher Walken. He decides to take things into his own hands in pursuit of justice.
    Quite fun. The quips are great. 8/10
  • Load_2.0 21 Oct 2013 13:03:18 19,444 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is this prep for your stage act?

If so you need a new angle.
  • TarickStonefire 21 Oct 2013 13:23:22 3,240 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Oblivion, 8/10, really enjoyed it. I don't know how closely it follows the plot of the director's graphic novel especially in terms of the end, and I think I missed a couple of key plot bits like had she really been in deep sleep for 60 years? Or was she 'planted' in the ship that came down to try and trigger the qualities in his character that MorganFreeman had seen?

But I lived the look and the ideas, even though it's basically a megamix of The Matrix and Moon or whatever stories those were inspired by themselves. But yeah I really liked it.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 21 Oct 2013 13:27:32 3,240 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Movie 43, I actually quite liked it out of ten.

I didn't put it on, my wife didn't know how bad it was supposed to be and stuck it on one rainy Sunday afternoon on Netflix. It was just weird enough that I started watching and then the bit with Hugh jackman's testicles kind of made me laugh so I kept watching, and there were more lols later so I hate to say it but I kind of liked it. Not all of it, there's some shorts that just aren't funny, but it's all strangely watchable.

• TarickStonefire 21 Oct 2013 13:36:36 3,240 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Man of Steel
    It felt rushed. Not as in rushed out the door unfinished but as in they had to "skip to the end". Maybe that's me not knowing much about Superman but I would have liked this to be just about young Kent growing up and becoming tMoS. I really didn't need the "save the world" adventure at the end.

I definitely didn't need the yawn inducing final fight (I skipped it so maybe I shouldn't complain too much).

The way they told Supes formative years through flashbacks added to the feeling of "hurry up and break a city" that I disliked so much.

Had this been a braver film and focusing on just the origin story and then a smaller incident at the end I would have really liked it. As it is I found it enjoyable and I can now forgive Zack Znyder for making Sucker Punch.

Worth watching

I really don't like this new trend of wrecking entire cities. I wonder what the financial impact of that final fight would be? All the insurance claims etc? The cost of rebuilding an entire city center. And how many people died in the Smallville fight alone?
    Completely agree with you about TMOS. That fight at the end took up way too much time they could have spent doing more of the great stuff Kevin Costner had with young Clark Kent.

As regards blowing up cities, heh, a conspiracy theorist fan I know might half-jokingly suggest the government likes to have lots of mass destruction movies in the public consciousness because it butters us up for the next big 'terrorist' atrocity they help engineer so as to keep the world's finances flowing the way they 'need' to flow...

She would also half-jokingly suggest that a decade of superspy digital surveillance movies like Enemy Of The State, Eagle Eye etc helped no end in making the inevitable NSA revelations far less of a shock and far easier to brush relatively quietly under the carpet.

I try not to think about how close to the truth she may be ;)

• TarickStonefire 21 Oct 2013 13:39:32 3,240 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Dgzter wrote:
    Great to see The Conversation getting some love: wonderful film, and a masterclass in both tension and general espionage storytelling :)

I'd also recommend Three Days of the Condor for another contemporaneous classic. Robert Redford and Max von Sydow are totally boss!
    Me too, love that movie and that whole era. I watched this, Parallax View and All The Presidents Men a few months ago, great bunch of movies. Always on the lookout for more great 70s stuff like that on Netflix. Anyone got any tips? I've got Unblock Us so can access any netflix library, but never sure what to look for!

• sirtacos 21 Oct 2013 15:41:25 7,316 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    World War Z

Brad Pitt goes globetrotting through armageddon and - spoiler alert - stumbles unscathed from disaster to increasingly horrifying disaster
    It's a PG zombie film, so faces are eaten without comical amounts of blood spurting everywhere. This is simultaneously jarring, weird-looking, and unsettling. (It atually makes certain scenes more disturbing, sort of.)

Anyway despite showing some promise early on this is a bland film that gets progressively worse after the first half-hour or so. However, it is reasonably entertaining, tense in places (at the beginning, before Brad becmes a tourist of the apocalypse), and it's not offensively bad.

6/10
  • langasam 21 Oct 2013 16:05:51 1 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    The Green Mile- 97%
  • TheHammerite 21 Oct 2013 16:15:10 1,511 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've had a bit of a Hammer Horror session of late. As expected it's a mixed bag, but there are some absolute gems to be found.

The Curse Of Frankenstein 9.5/10

Peter Cushing is outstanding as Baron Frankenstein. He is both charming and menacing as he gradually becomes more and more obsessed with his creation. This is perhaps the best Hammer movie of the lot, and far superior to the Dracula movies.
  • zane36 21 Oct 2013 16:18:02 1 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Olympus has fallen.

78%
  • Mr_Sleep 21 Oct 2013 16:28:34 17,183 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    Me too, love that movie and that whole era. I watched this, Parallax View and All The Presidents Men a few months ago, great bunch of movies. Always on the lookout for more great 70s stuff like that on Netflix. Anyone got any tips? I've got Unblock Us so can access any netflix library, but never sure what to look for!
    The China Syndrome is pretty good, great performance by Jack Lemmon.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Bloobat 21 Oct 2013 17:15:42 233 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs

8/10

Given this a miss for years as I had written it off as a childish film however I loved it and found it quite funny! Will definitely be watching the second when it releases
  • kalel 21 Oct 2013 17:16:10 88,408 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fallen

A gap in my Denzel knowledge. Not really very good. Interesting concept but failed in the execution. Looked like a PG next to something like Seven, but really it should have been the more dark and meaningful film. It all went to piss a bit at the end too. Shame, as it had lots of potential.

4/10
  • nickthegun 21 Oct 2013 17:20:37 60,442 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is that the possession one?

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Madder-Max 21 Oct 2013 17:24:41 11,660 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Planes 5/10. A cynical predictable Planes merchandise advertising opportunity which cashes in on the poularity of Cars, and falls far short of how engaging and original Cars was when it came out.

Its actually worse than Skyforce because at least Skyforce had a better storyline.

Its actually embarrassing how much it copies cars; including the 'ageing plane that hasn't flown for years that coaches the protagonist plane' thing

99 problems and being ginger is one

• spindle9988 21 Oct 2013 17:26:11 3,618 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Fallen

A gap in my Denzel knowledge. Not really very good. Interesting concept but failed in the execution. Looked like a PG next to something like Seven, but really it should have been the more dark and meaningful film. It all went to piss a bit at the end too. Shame, as it had lots of potential.

4/10
    I've wanted to watch this for years and just never got round to it
  • kalel 21 Oct 2013 17:46:57 88,408 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Yup.
  • Madder-Max 21 Oct 2013 17:49:06 11,660 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Man with the iron fists. 6/10

Frustrating as it could have been excellent. Felt like a film by numbers. It tries to be Django Unchained mixed with Leaugue of Extraordinary gentlemen, and fails miserably on both counts.

Did like the general gist of things though. Reminded me of Monkey Magic; especially the end title sequence.

99 problems and being ginger is one

• CharlieStCloud 21 Oct 2013 17:52:01 5,285 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Bloobat

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs is easily the best non-Pixar animation film in years.

... the moment the boys Father raised his eyebrows for the first time had me laughing for a bit too long!
  • Deleted user 21 October 2013 17:57:35
    Capitalism: A Love Story (2009) Informative/10

'An examination of the social costs of corporate interests pursuing profits at the expense of the public good.' - IMDb

Michael Moore, he's entertaining. Watching this is an eye opener for sure.

Edited by blacksea at 17:59:49 21-10-2013
  • sandvei 21 Oct 2013 18:01:37 1 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @caligari Rock of ages 85.
  • Tonka 21 Oct 2013 18:44:04 20,788 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @blacksea now see "Inside Job" and "The Yes Men Save the World" and you'll never look at Michael Moore the same way again. Heck, even this short YouTube video shows him up as a big crowd pleaser but I think the subject matter deserves better
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPKKQnijnsM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Deleted user 21 October 2013 19:04:24
    X-men: First Class

Wasn't expecting much, not a big fan of x-men films. Watched this with the wife last night and, I dunno, may have been my good mood or the wine but I really enjoyed this.

85%
  • Deckard1 21 Oct 2013 19:06:09 28,713 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Yup.
    I thought it was pretty good at the time, haven't seen it in years though.
  • Razz 21 Oct 2013 19:10:08 61,391 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @TechnoHippy Samsara is good but I prefered the first one, Baraka. Koyaanisqatsi is worth a look in to. It's a bit old now though. You might also enjoy Jiro Dreams of Sushi.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• JoeBlade 21 Oct 2013 19:14:37 2,584 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    @blacksea now see "Inside Job" and "The Yes Men Save the World" and you'll never look at Michael Moore the same way again. Heck, even this short YouTube video shows him up as a big crowd pleaser but I think the subject matter deserves better
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPKKQnijnsM&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    I'm quite fond of Michael Moore and I'll be the first to admit he's a sensationalist who's not at all adverse to cheap tricks (e.g. blowing a single fact completely out of proportion) in order to get his films flogged.
    Let's be honest though: 95% of the moviegoers would've fallen asleep after 10 seconds of the clip you linked to up there, even if it is more accurate and to the point than anything Moore has ever produced.

As long as he doesn't resort to outright lies I don't mind the glimmer/information ratio in his flicks being quite skewed. If that's what it takes for important messages to find their way to the public at large, so be it.
  • Gunzberg 21 Oct 2013 19:18:40 1,741 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thursday - worth a watch 7/10

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• oceanmotion 21 Oct 2013 19:27:29 16,001 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BillCityfingers wrote:
    X-men: First Class

Wasn't expecting much, not a big fan of x-men films. Watched this with the wife last night and, I dunno, may have been my good mood or the wine but I really enjoyed this.

85%
    First half is good, wish they just stuck to that for a film or two. Magneto should just meet Xavier near the end after his revenge spree and failing to stop Bacon doing a less end of the world plan. Then start forming a friendship with Xavier while still on the hunt for Bacon in a sequel.

They shouldn't have rushed it. Second half is awful and all the X-Men extras are embarrassing. Irish Magneto, how didn't they catch that. January Jones can't act outside of Mad Men for some reason. Frost probably meant something lame like act cold and emotionless.

Edited by oceanmotion at 19:29:36 21-10-2013
  • Page

of 2800 First / Last