Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2340

• Page

of 2864 First / Last

• Tonka 11 Sep 2013 06:37:33 21,354 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Speaking of Piracy

I tried to watch Polanski's Pirates a few months back. It was really boring.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• vijay_UK 11 Sep 2013 07:53:12 2,374 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    I thought it was pretty wank all in all, although I personally liked the Ben Kinglsey take on Mandarin.
    Sums it up nicely for me, although km's description "too much Tony Stark and not enough Iron Man"
    At one stage he was a talent, but now RDJ is just an egocentric multi-millionaire. What he wants he gets, like even more face time, something we'll see in the next Avengers movie. It might be something even written into his contract, more exposer than the rest.

Edited by vijay_UK at 13:59:42 12-09-2013
  • Deleted user 11 September 2013 09:01:37
    Oblivion.

Major disappointment as thought it looked really good.

Only in the last third does it get interesting.

6/10

Star trek into darkness.

Excellent, I put it on just before bed randomly to watch the first maybe ten minutes but ended up watching the whole thing!! Oh so tired.

Perhaps a little samey as the previous trek but great until the last twenty minutes.

8/10.

Tinkerbell and the lost treasure.

Pretty good kids film, not as good as the first.
    5/10.
  • beastmaster 11 Sep 2013 09:22:54 11,993 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @-cerberus- I have seen that. The one with Tracy Lords. Fucking insane :eek:

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• CosmicFuzz 11 Sep 2013 11:23:11 25,637 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    vijay_UK wrote:
    Bremenacht wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    I thought it was pretty wank all in all, although I personally liked the Ben Kinglsey take on Mandarin.
    Sums it up nicely for me, although km's description "too much Tony Stark and not enough Iron Man"
    At one stage he was a talent, but now RDJ is just an egocentric multi-millionaire. What he wants he gets, like even more face time, something we'll see in the next Avengers movie. It might be something even written into his contract, more expose than the rest.
    I don't really think that's true. I don't get that impression anyway. Didn't he hold out on signing for Avengers 2 to try to help his cast members get pay rises? Could be usual internet guff right enough.

Doubt he'll be back anyway after Avengers 2.

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• ProfessorLesser 11 Sep 2013 14:31:19 19,417 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Has nobody else bothered with The Way, Way Back?
  • RyanDS 11 Sep 2013 15:28:23 9,857 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Legend of the Drunken Master

Jackie Chan's best film, with fight scenes that put the Matrix to shame.

From the bamboo staff to the coal pit it is like watching a cartoon with the most unbeleivable stunts and set pieces that I have ever seen without "trickery."

10/10

Next up is First Strike, another Chan movie I remember loving.

Roger Ebert puts it best in his review of First Strike why I love these movies so much "Then we get the downhill ski sequences, including one in which Chan skis off the side of a hill and grabs the runners of a helicopter. To be sure, it's not a very big hill, and the helicopter is pretty close--but then we reflect that this is a real stunt, not a special effect, and we're impressed by Chan's skill and determination to entertain."
  • ERG1008 11 Sep 2013 15:42:33 665 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    -cerberus- wrote:
    The House of the Devil

Lovely 80's horror revival flick directed by Ti West. Tom Noonan still is one creepy bastard.

7/10
    Was surprised by this myself. Got the feel of the period (early 80s?) spot on and Noonan is incredible.
  • MrSensible 11 Sep 2013 17:23:12 25,375 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:

Jackie Chan's best film, with fight scenes that put the Matrix to shame
    That is the second Drunken Master, right? If so, it's easily one of the best damn movies I've ever seen, let alone best of Jackie. Outstanding and I think everyone has to watch it at least once.
  • FWB 11 Sep 2013 17:39:37 45,613 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I preferred RDJ when he was on drugs. Sober you realise he IS an egotistical twat.
  • neems 11 Sep 2013 20:58:19 1,458 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    thefilthandthefury wrote:
    RyanDS wrote:

Jackie Chan's best film, with fight scenes that put the Matrix to shame
    That is the second Drunken Master, right? If so, it's easily one of the best damn movies I've ever seen, let alone best of Jackie. Outstanding and I think everyone has to watch it at least once.

I could watch the first 'proper' drunken boxing scene (the one where his mum and her friends get him smashed) over and over again. In fact I might just do that now. And maybe the mall scene from Police Story.
  • evild_edd 12 Sep 2013 07:26:57 3,199 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Couple of films I've caught up on recently:

13 Assassins

I built up well to the massive battle well enough, with a proper sense of inevitability about what was to come, but even so I felt little or no connection with any of the characters which lessened the experience.

6/10

Man On Fire

Was expecting great things from this (it has a great rep), but it really didn't click. There was probably too much character development between Creasey and the annoying child swimmer, and they really hammered home the point that he had a drink problem and a dark past. I was certainly ready for the murdering to start by the time they got round to it....but even then I felt they shied away from the action and violence. The torture scenes were all quick cut. That's not a bad thing necessarily, I just guess it was less explicit than I was expecting.

Unconvinced I liked the style and the random text on the screen to emphasise certain points (or was it just there to help Americans with the ticky accents?). Just distracted from the emotional connection they were obviously trying to build. And I found the ending underwhelming. If it had been a true story I could have understood it, but it was a misstep for a fictional tale (IMHO).

Whilst not bad, it left me wholly disappointed.

5/10

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• Deleted user 12 September 2013 08:58:57
    Man on Fire was basically what happens when Hollywood makes a "revenge film" by the numbers. I liked it, mostly because I enjoy watching Denzel do his thing, but I think anyone that is familiar with the genre will find it a pretty vanilla example of it.
  • craigy Staff 12 Sep 2013 09:08:45 7,844 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Clear History: 7/10

Larry David tries to not be Larry David, but then ends up resorting to classic Larry David antics. It's Curb, but not as we know it.
  • Load_2.0 12 Sep 2013 09:37:09 19,670 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Best of the three IMO, though a bit of a mess. Liked the villians, made a nice change from Robot Wars.
  • CosmicFuzz 12 Sep 2013 09:43:03 25,637 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought Man on Fire was pretty awful. Dunno why I never clicked with it, but just found it incredibly boring. Just lurched from one scene to the next.

As for IM3 I thought it was fantastic. My favourite of the 3 as well. Very funny and just a real good time movie. Had a blast at cinema watching it.

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• nickthegun 12 Sep 2013 09:44:49 61,325 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My favourite Denzel Washington movie is Virtuosity.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Grax 12 Sep 2013 09:49:10 2,296 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    A good day to die hard

AKA the final nail in the coffin of my love for Die Hard. I honestly can't believe how much they have managed to arse fuck the childhood memory of Dir Hard 1. It was almost as bad as George Lucas and pretty much anything he has done since indy 3

I didnt even finish watching it/10
  • jimnastics 12 Sep 2013 09:50:09 312 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Jack Reacher
    5/10

Finally watched this the other day on Sky, just a completely nothing film... I've not read a single one of the books so this isn't a book > film judgement. The film was just utterly empty for me, it had no substance, nothing about it at all. It never got going, character development was non-existant, storyline was very loose, only remotely exciting part was the end shootout. The wife is a big fan of the books, and was of the same opinion (though I think she had written it off before we watched it because apparently Reacher is supposed to be a big hulking brute, not a Tom Cruise).

I reckon the author and book publishers are completely gutted, they were probably hoping to spin out sequel after sequel for this, but I just can't see it happening after this first attempt.
  • TheSaint 12 Sep 2013 09:59:52 14,833 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Apparently even Arnie in his prime wouldn't have had the chest measurement given in the books, so I'm not sure who they could have got to play him.

I've only read one of the books but at least they managed to stay faithful to the one dimensional characters and crap dialogue.
  • JiveHound 12 Sep 2013 10:03:38 2,728 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Star Trek Into Darkness.

Zzzzzzz/10

Engelbert Humperdink really hams it up in this. It's like he's trying to do a Thunderbirds version of Heisenberg.

Everyone is a fucking caricature of their namesake from the old series. I would question the need to even bother going for a semi-reboot but everyone is so fucking bland that it was the only thing to differentiate each other. And the lens flare?! On the bridge there were lamps on in a brightly lit room that were just there to create lens flare for the sake of it. It's a calling card alright, a calling card of a fucking mouth breather. IT MAKES NO SENSE YOU TALENTLESS FUCK!

So yeah, didn't like it much, frankly awful and it may have affected my friendship with the person that forced it on me.

Edited by JiveHound at 10:07:21 12-09-2013

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• JiveHound 12 Sep 2013 10:04:47 2,728 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @TheSaint

To be fair the character sounds fucking ridiculous.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• Kostabi 12 Sep 2013 10:53:51 5,094 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Aviator - 6/10

It's an interesting story but it's not interesting for nearly 3 hours.

Doom - 8/10

I like action films where the back story is finished before the opening credits are and is then followed by 90 minutes of shit going boom and gravely one liners.
  • CosmicFuzz 12 Sep 2013 10:54:10 25,637 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't get the massive backlash against the lens flare. People go on about it like nothing on earth. I quite liked it! Different anyway from other films. Although I really didn't like Into Darkness, it had nothing to do with the flare.

I also really enjoyed Jack Reacher.

• beastmaster 12 Sep 2013 13:35:12 11,993 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Aftershock - 2.5/10

A truly shocking film which will stay with you after you've seen it...for all the wrong reasons!

The plot is about a group of tourists in Chile, who are in an underground nightclub when an earthquake hits. It starts off quite well with lots of touristy shots of Chile (if that's where it was filmed) and building up the characters. Problem is they are all intensely unlikable.

Director Eli Roth (Hostel, Cabin Fever) didn't direct but he has the starring role. He makes Tarantino's acting abilities look like Orson Welles. It's laughably bad. I didn't care too much for the rest of the cast either. I just wanted to see them die horribly.

There are some rather spectacular, gory deaths in there. It also tries to bring across how, in that kind of situation, it's even man for himself and the paranoia this would bring.

It's not just content with having them just have an ordinary fight for survival against the quake and aftershock. To try and give the film more danger, threat and an excuse to show rape and murder, it adds something else into the mix but it's not really handled that well at all.

As for the effects, they're not too bad when the club is falling down around them. It's when they get outside and you see cardboard buildings falling down and obvious fake sets it just goes from bad to worse. The finale is also laughably poor.

Not in the so bad it's good category. There's plenty of better films if you want to see people killed off in a horrible manner.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Mr_Sleep 12 Sep 2013 13:41:56 17,385 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    My favourite Denzel Washington movie is Virtuosity.
    Hah, does that film also contain your favourite non-singing performance by Russell Crowe?

You are a factory of sadness.

• Mr_Sleep 12 Sep 2013 13:42:59 17,385 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    JiveHound wrote:
    Star Trek Into Darkness.

Zzzzzzz/10

Engelbert Humperdink
    I think you'll find his name is correctly spelled Cumberdick Bendybatch.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Page

of 2864 First / Last