Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2270

• Page

of 2767 First / Last

• Tonka 11 Jul 2013 09:11:04 20,401 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wasn't really until the last paperback that Turtles became gritty, was it? And then it did it in an ironic way as you say.

Oh I miss the days of irony being satirical rather than "holier than thou"ical

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Dangerous_Dan 11 Jul 2013 09:52:31 2,380 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Star Wars is a sequel not a reboot, so will be in the same style as the previous films.
    Somewhat. But isn't Episode 3 already quite gritty when comparing it to the other episodes. I'm talking mainly the visuals here, not the seriousness of the character development or plot itself.

I'd rank it like this, just on first thoughts...
    Gritty to less gritty (visual/direction)
    Episode 3 - 2 - 5 - 1 - 6 - 4
  • kalel 11 Jul 2013 10:31:45 87,584 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The tone will obviously go up and down a bit, but they're not going to suddenly turn C3PO into a battle-hardened protocol droid with a heroin addiction played by Tom Hardy.
  • CharlieStCloud 11 Jul 2013 10:49:59 5,202 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    This Is The End - 8/10

As someone who doesn't think much of all those Apatow and Rogan comedy films with the exception of Pineapple Express and 40 Year Old Virgin, this film is an absolute hoot!

... the cinema was almost full, although in one of the smaller screens, and made the film all the better for it. I nearly wet myself laughing at some points; the bunch of lads down the row from where I was sitting were in tears.

Probably one of those films where the less you know about it, the better it is. I went in totally blind, only knowing some of the usual suspects on the movie poster. The amount of fairly well known celebrities at James Francos' party was ridiculous.

Love the totally unexpected 'wish' during the closing scenes too.

: )
  • Dangerous_Dan 11 Jul 2013 11:18:10 2,380 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    The tone will obviously go up and down a bit, but they're not going to suddenly turn C3PO into a battle-hardened protocol droid with a heroin addiction played by Tom Hardy.
    I'd be surprised if the tone became less gritty, not more gritty.
    But yes, C3PO won't be a heroin addict, I guess.
  • mikeck 11 Jul 2013 11:19:35 1,936 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @kalel I read that as Hardy playing C3PO's heroin addiction, rather than C3PO himself.

Now that would be bold move for the franchise.
  • Deleted user 11 July 2013 12:37:52
    The Pact

Some good scares, good lead actress ;-), effective sound and camera work let down by gaping plot holes, a weak third act and some clunky dialogue.

Overall though, still worth a watch and ONE fright in particular I though was very well done.

78%

Super 8

Loved this. The children were played brilliantly by their respective actors/actresses. The era was evoked lovingly, very heartfelt in places. Creature design was excellent, good tension and cracking cinematography.

it was as good as I hoped. A few niggles stops it from being completely perfect (the deputy... I don't know I just didn't believe in his character) but on the whole superb.

90%
  • beastmaster 11 Jul 2013 12:42:24 11,411 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I need a bit of help here.

There's a truly awful film coming out called The Canyons with Lindsay Lohan in one of the starring roles.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2292959/

I remember someone wrote an article about the making of the film which appeared in one of the papers (Sunday Times? Any other source?).

I think it was an extract from a book that's either come out or is coming out soon. I think it's something similar to The Devil's Candy which was written about The Bonfire of The Vanities.

Anyone got any ideas about this?

Anyhow, back on track

The Untouchables - 9/10

I've got a Brian De Palma thing going on at the moment. Just bought Carlito's Way, Scarface, Blow Out and Redacted on Blu-Ray. Passion is coming from amazon.fr and Dressed To Kill is out at the end of the month. Seriously underrated.

Anyhow, needless to say, I love this film. Great characters and performances. Superb soundtrack by Ennio Morricone and the wardrobe by Giorgio Armani make this look and sound fantastic too.

I've always been a fan of the way De Palma moves the camera. A know the film has got some 'big' scenes in it but I like the one where they're just sat at the table and he moves the camera around them.

"Dhat's the Chicago way!"

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• nickthegun 11 Jul 2013 12:49:00 59,876 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/13/magazine/here-is-what-happens-when-you-cast-lindsay-lohan-in-your-movie.html?_r=0

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• speedofthepuma 11 Jul 2013 12:50:02 13,298 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well don nick, that was driving me mad too, I knew I'd read it.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• nickthegun 11 Jul 2013 12:51:14 59,876 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, its a good read. The bits about guerrilla filming in the mall dont exactly fill you with confidence about the movies quality (as if there were any doubts)

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• kalel 11 Jul 2013 12:51:46 87,584 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    And yet, a lot more people will watch this film in the knowledge she 'gets em out', than if it was some nobody, which is why she's in it.
  • graysonavich 11 Jul 2013 12:55:21 7,343 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ah the De Palma phase. Never change beastmaster :)
  • Deckard1 11 Jul 2013 12:57:35 27,981 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'll certainly be watching it. Despite her being kind of hideous now.
  • kalel 11 Jul 2013 12:59:52 87,584 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Someone described Emma Stone as "Lindsay Lohan with good parents". I like that.
  • mrpon 11 Jul 2013 13:02:04 28,893 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Think I pass on those tits thanks.

Did I say pass, I meant piss.

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• LeoliansBro 11 Jul 2013 17:58:37 44,168 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lincoln. 7/10. Beautifully acted, beautifully directed, and really boring. Another Barry Lyndon.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• irrelevanthuman 11 Jul 2013 18:08:16 368 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Beastmaster

Fine viewing- Blow Out is one of the best from the deep-focus master as well as one of the best films of the eighties. Somehow I've missed Phantom of the Paradise along the way, need to see that bad boy.
  • Deleted user 12 July 2013 11:35:02
    ARGO.

Really enjoyed it, flew by. Not often you get films take pop shots at hollywood whilst dealing with a iranian hostage crisis.

Actually a lot more understated than the nerve shredding tension posters, but it works. a couple of 5.4.3.2.1 moments that are a bit jarring but doesn;t distract from it a well put together and made film.

8.5/10
  • Deleted user 12 July 2013 16:48:11
    Pacific Rim

Fighting
    Boring talking for what feels like 3 hours
    More fighting

Ps the fighting isn't very interesting.

If Argo is getting 8.5 then this struggles to get a 6. It's just a bit boring with no story and not a single character that's interesting or that you care what happens to them.

Sure, turn your brain off, it's a blockbuster etc. doesn't mean it has to feel this hollow.
  • Bremenacht 12 Jul 2013 16:49:05 18,220 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Worse than Transformers?
  • vijay_UK 12 Jul 2013 16:53:25 2,148 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    blacksea wrote:
    Prometheus (2012) 6/10

All in all, and big thumbs down. I’ll be selling the Blu-ray as I doubt I’ll want to watch it again.
    The ending also made no sense to me. A bit like this one.

http://i.imgur.com/JKnuX7I.gif
  • Megapocalypse 12 Jul 2013 16:57:00 5,417 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pacific Rim

It has some boring talky bits, a non existent story, and a bunch of characters that aren't likeable or worth caring about.

It also has awesome giant robots fighting awesome giant monsters.

9/10
  • Deleted user 12 July 2013 17:13:14
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Worse than Transformers?
    Better than 2 and 3. It's probably about as good as 1 but in different ways - the action is much better in PR, the non action is worse.
  • Tomo 12 Jul 2013 23:19:27 13,910 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The non-action is worse? Jesus. Must be like watching Transformers stoned after undergoing a lobotomy.

Behind the Candelabra - 9/10

This was really great. Michael Douglas is fucking brilliant, as was Matt Damon. They are both utterly convincing and seem to have no problem whatsoever jumping on top of each other and rolling around. Kudos. I think Rob Lowe stole it for me though - he's hilarious as a plastic surgeon who believes in his work a bit too much.
  • Gaol 13 Jul 2013 00:45:32 2,351 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Took my eldest to see Monsters University. I'd rate it 87, good film and an unexpected and clever way to end it. There is a 5 minutes short before it starts about animated umbrellas which is outstanding.
  • binky Moderator 13 Jul 2013 01:20:19 9,623 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dark Shadows
    03%
    I like to thin I've watched so you don't have to.
  • Bremenacht 13 Jul 2013 01:29:06 18,220 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Was that 3% for Eva Green?
  • Telepathic.Geometry 13 Jul 2013 03:53:06 11,322 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Croods: 9/10. A really solid animation. Not perfect, but in an age where CG movies are often boring and ordinary, this one manages to entertain and warm the heart. It's pretty funny too...

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• dominalien 13 Jul 2013 10:14:00 6,860 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pacific Rim

Starts like a sequel, and that's the best part.

Awful acting. Horrible script that's cliched to the breaking point and straight as a piece of stick. Moments of brilliant music which only serve to draw your attention to scenes which don't have brilliant music in a "why doesn't this have brilliant music when the other one did" way. Nice robots. Boring and cliched (acid? emp? really?)monster designs. Horrible ending. Did I mention awful acting? From everyone.

4/10 for... I don't know what for. Chain swords?

Edited by dominalien at 10:14:17 13-07-2013

PSN: DonOsito

• Page

of 2767 First / Last