Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2255

• Page

of 2704 First / Last

• captainrentboy 25 Jun 2013 00:58:42 945 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    World War Z - 70%
    Not too shabby at all. Annoyingly the opening sequences had all the quick cutting shaky cam nastiness that plagued Forster's Quantum of Solace (I'm sure its there for artistic purposes, to portray the confusion of the attacks and what not, but it simply looked shit), which was a shame because the whole widespread city panic thing would have looked great (it did look expensive), if only he could've stopped cutting to a different angle every 0.2 seconds.
    Thankfully it eases off and becomes easier to watch after that, and actually has a good set of very effective and tension filled zombie scenes.
    Pitt was good, no-one else really has enough screen time to make an impression.
    After all of the production horror stories, it turned out a lot better than I thought it would.
  • sirtacos 25 Jun 2013 01:25:39 7,268 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Despicable Me 2

Total shit compared to the first.

A soulless cash-in sequel, in other words. The plot is disjointed, the minions are overused, and there is little of the genuine warmth and humour that made me enjoy the first one.

It has way too many gags, only a handful which are actually funny. I was underwhelmed and, worst of all, terribly bored.

On the positive side: from a technical / visual standpoint, it's beautiful.

5/10
  • Tonka 25 Jun 2013 06:18:56 20,010 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @captainrentboy wrt jump cuts and shaky cams I read that they do it to hide the CGI.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Megapocalypse 25 Jun 2013 06:47:29 5,309 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @sirtacos :(

Shame. Loved the first one.
  • Dougs 25 Jun 2013 06:55:19 66,642 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    sirtacos wrote:
    Despicable Me 2

Total shit compared to the first.

A soulless cash-in sequel, in other words. The plot is disjointed, the minions are overused, and there is little of the genuine warmth and humour that made me enjoy the first one.

It has way too many gags, only a handful which are actually funny. I was underwhelmed and, worst of all, terribly bored.

On the positive side: from a technical / visual standpoint, it's beautiful.

5/10
    That's disappointing. Love the first, as does my 3 year old.
  • CharlieStCloud 25 Jun 2013 08:22:04 5,046 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yet Despicable Me 2 is sitting on Rotten Tomatoes with a 100% fresh rating?

Already heard from three different families that they all thoroughly loved it!

I'd go and see it if you have got kids at the very least.
  • beastmaster 25 Jun 2013 08:33:58 11,163 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Most films do. It takes a while for the reviews to filter through. Quite deliberate I think.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• kentmonkey 25 Jun 2013 09:04:27 20,439 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Superman: Man of Skyscrapers

My thoughts can be read in the Superman thread - won't post them here as they're spoiler filled and this post would just end up with hidden text if I used the spoiler tags appropriately. So no point.

5/10
  • Weebleboy 25 Jun 2013 10:12:26 367 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • kentmonkey 25 Jun 2013 10:18:45 20,439 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thread fix
  • sirtacos 25 Jun 2013 11:16:14 7,268 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Definitely take the kids to see it. I'm a jaded adult - not exactly the target demo.
    Nevertheless, despite my negativity, I still liked some of it, and I wouldn't call it a painful experience by any means... just very paint-by-numbers. Definitely not up to the first's standards, but most kids will probably enjoy it. Just don't expect to be riveted throughout.

Edited by sirtacos at 11:17:45 25-06-2013
  • TarickStonefire 25 Jun 2013 12:36:38 2,897 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    World War Z - 7.5/10
    The original third act was a lot ballsier, bleaker and quite frankly, downright grim. This would have been magnificent if they decided to stick with the original third act in Russia. It will probably show up on a directors cut one day.
    Out of interest have you seen it or is that just what you heard? I thought they reshot the ending because compared to the rest of the film it made no sense and didn't sit at all right with the rest of the movie.

But of course I've only got their say-so for that as justification for hiring Thingy "Depth? What's 'depth'?" Whatsisface who turned Prometheus into less than it should have been...

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 25 Jun 2013 12:43:05 2,897 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    askew wrote:
    beastmaster wrote:
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    Katy Perry: Part Of Me - 10/10

Seriously, this film changed my opinion of her. I always kind of liked her but wasn't really sure how packaged she was, but after seeing this I'm in her camp all day long. I think she's awesome, I love the songs, I love what she does for her fans, and I love how loyal she is to the people who've been with her since the start. Very moving.

I even shed a few tears at one point. What's the emoticon for a red face?
    +1 to this. She's got some guts too allowing certain things to be filmed. She gets news that her divorce has become final just before she's due to take the stage in Brazil(?). It took some character to go up and do that. Also, being filmed without her makeup on. Bit of a shock but still most definitely would. Well worth watching.
    Not sure if serious or trolling effort

/watches Katy Perry.
    I was serious. It changed my viewpoint of her entirely, not that I'd paid that much attention really - my biggest 'exposure' to her was last summer my two American 4year old nieces repeatedly asking my to put KATY PEWWY BLUE HAIR! on the YouTube app on my phone for them to dance to. And they know *all* the words. That got old after the 5th listen to California Gurls.

But yeah she's done well. I particularly liked when she faced up to 'Matrix', a pair of what 'super producers' who insisted that her own songs were worthless and what she really needed to be doing was emulating Avril Lavigne. Someone filmed on their phone a fight between them where Perry says "what's wrong with, you know, real, heartfelt songwriting?" and the English woman who is one half of Matrix replies, "Look darling, I've got two entire albums of 'meaningful' songs I recorded, all poetic and stuff, sitting gathering dust in a drawer of my bedside table, so let me tell you, nobody gives a SHIT about your poetic meaningful songs."

Eventually Perry leaves that label, signs elsewhere and goes on to release an album of her own songs that contains five number ones, something only the Beatles and Jacko achieved before her.

You Go Katy.

So yes, I loved it ;)

• TarickStonefire 25 Jun 2013 12:45:21 2,897 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    D_arkTrooper wrote:
    SuperMan III

Oh what utter, UTTER tripe!

2/10
    When I was a kid, I *loved* it.

But I fully recognise the shitness now.

• RedSparrows 25 Jun 2013 12:46:13 22,001 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sounds... ungghhhhh
  • Blakester 25 Jun 2013 12:46:57 3,572 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    D_arkTrooper wrote:
    SuperMan III

2/10

The dust-up in the scrapyard is worth a 5/10 in itself.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• TarickStonefire 25 Jun 2013 12:47:29 2,897 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The Muppets (new one): 10/10

Another awesome happy family movie that made me shed a few tears of happiness many, many times. It's just all so joyful and fun and silly and knowing. I loved the script, especially the little touches like MANIACAL LAUGH and "Eurgh, but I've just done a whole musical number about this!", and the constant nods to the audience.

Utterly awesome.

(btw never seen a Muppet movie before this one, expected they'd all be a bit cheesy and kiddy - are they?)

• TarickStonefire 25 Jun 2013 12:48:52 2,897 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Blakester wrote:
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    D_arkTrooper wrote:
    SuperMan III

2/10

The dust-up in the scrapyard is worth a 5/10 in itself.
    Is that with Evil Supes? Oooooh, he was so naughty! But Good Supes fixes it all, which is nice of him.

I thought the Robot Baddie Woman at the end was cool, too. At the time.

• TarickStonefire 25 Jun 2013 12:50:29 2,897 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Sounds... ungghhhhh
    The Katy Perry film? Well it depends if you've got the slightest interest in seeing behind the scenes of a crazy year long global tour while she falls in love and gets her heart broken, for realz, as well as finding out a bit about how she got where she is.

And Katy Perry songs.

;)

• mrpon 25 Jun 2013 12:52:57 28,427 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Sounds... ungghhhhh
    The Katy Perry film? Well it depends if you've got the slightest interest in seeing behind the scenes of a crazy year long global tour while she falls in love and gets her heart broken, for realz, as well as finding out a bit about how she got where she is.

And Katy Perry songs.

;)
    On Netflix as well.

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• Deleted user 25 June 2013 13:07:41
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Yet Despicable Me 2 is sitting on Rotten Tomatoes with a 100% fresh rating?

Already heard from three different families that they all thoroughly loved it!

I'd go and see it if you have got kids at the very least.
    I saw it at the weekend hving not seen the first one. It was standard CG kid-movie stuff. Some mild visual laughs and a few winks to the camera for the adults. Not a bad way to spend an hour and a bit.
  • beastmaster 25 Jun 2013 13:49:13 11,163 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    beastmaster wrote:
    World War Z - 7.5/10
    The original third act was a lot ballsier, bleaker and quite frankly, downright grim. This would have been magnificent if they decided to stick with the original third act in Russia. It will probably show up on a directors cut one day.
    Out of interest have you seen it or is that just what you heard? I thought they reshot the ending because compared to the rest of the film it made no sense and didn't sit at all right with the rest of the movie.

But of course I've only got their say-so for that as justification for hiring Thingy "Depth? What's 'depth'?" Whatsisface who turned Prometheus into less than it should have been...
    Just from what I've read. It sat with the rest of the film just fine and made perfect sense. Forget the third act of this film, the original contained some big, epic battles as well. Matthew Fox is in this film. He has about a minute of screen time and has one line. Why? He plays a much more significant role in the original ending. It also would have left room for a sequel but one which would have had much more dark and sinister overtones. It just ended on a double-whammy of downers.

It just wasn't Hollywood enough. They did a I Am Legend and played it safe. Looks as though it worked. Sequel in the works.

Edit: But it was still filmed so we will get to see it. one day.

Edit 2: Katy Perry! Watch it.

Edited by beastmaster at 13:59:24 25-06-2013

Edited by beastmaster at 14:00:46 25-06-2013

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• CybaRJ 25 Jun 2013 13:52:43 55 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Superman - Jesus Christ, Superhero!

5/10

Nothing happens for 60 minutes. NOTHING. Zod isn't a patch on Terence Stamp, Lois Lane is annoying. Fight scenes are shot like a video game. If you're under 13 and like CoD you'll love it. SFX are generally good but the hand to hand fighting bits look bloody terrible. Kept thinking it wasn't a patch on any of the Marvel films. Too many goddam Jesus Christ references.

Went with 2 other people to see it. 2 of us hated it.

edit: First film I've seen in a while that I thought about getting up leaving.

Edited by CybaRJ at 13:55:57 25-06-2013
  • Mola_Ram 25 Jun 2013 14:13:20 6,956 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    World War Z - 67%

Once I got over it basically having no relation to the book whatsoever, and looked at it as a stand-alone product... eh. It was an alright disaster movie, basically 2012 if you replaced the tidal waves in that with waves of zombies.

The montage at the end felt really, really rushed. It was like "shit, we haven't finished yet, and need to tie up the story somehow! I know! Montage! With voiceover! Fin."
  • simsini 25 Jun 2013 16:05:52 312 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I thought Despicable Me 2 was the best animated film I have seen in the last couple of years and was funny throughout. The rest of the cinema, which was mostly adults, seemed to think so. I would be very surprised if it doesn't win the best animated movie Oscar next year with only Monsters University, The Croods and Planes as competition.

Edited by simsini at 16:10:52 25-06-2013
  • sirtacos 25 Jun 2013 16:14:04 7,268 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Maybe I'm just dead inside, but I thought it was throwaway popcorn entertainment at best.
    I don't have kids - I watch these things because Pixar (and, later on, Ghibli) taught me that animated films didn't have to be kid fluff - they can be legitimate works of art.

Despicable Me was nearly that. The sequel, however - not even close.
  • TechnoHippy 25 Jun 2013 16:28:18 14,698 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Scorpion King

This is a fun film. The Rock makes a good action hero, he looks the part, moves well and can carry some humour as well. The Scorpion King is a good example of this. The story is predictable, but that doesn't matter. It flows well and it doesn't take itself too seriously so it's a joy to watch.

The supporting cast are good as well, you have the beautiful damsel (who is far from defenceless), the cheeky thief and the obligatory tragedy. As I say it's far from original, but just make yourself comfortable, chew the popcorn and enjoy the ride.

7/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• TarickStonefire 25 Jun 2013 18:47:41 2,897 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Man Of Steel: 7/10 I suppose. Maybe 6 if Superman Returns didn't exist and wasn't so wet.

It wasn't bad. It didn't bore me.

The bit at the beginning was done much better in Superman 1 and 2.

The action was entirely predictable, I just kind of sat there waiting for it all to be over, I've seen it all before.

I was most interested in anything that resembled character building - any character, not just his.

I liked Lois, I'm glad they didn't make the character as bitchy as she was in some previous incarnations, I like that actress.

And I think that the entire notion that he can hide his identity behind a pair of specs just doesn't work any more. In this day and age of NSA superspying, military drones, facial recognition and all that jazz, there's just no effing way he walks into The Daily Planet with a pair of specs and gets away with it.

Also, Lois tied 'the alien' and 'Clark Kent' together just by asking around, and that was before everyone knew about aliens. And now they do. And now he's working at The Daily Planet using the same name. And the ginger kid all grown up in the diner totally made him when he crashed into it during the fight.

Oh, and how many times was there a massive fight that had them flying all over the place and smashing into shit and yet it always ended up within spitting distance of a major character like Lois or Perry? Why didn't they end up coming back to earth in Brazil or something, and cut back to Lois standing around going "Well where the fuck are they now?!". That scene in the museum was the worst.

Pffft.

Not that I expect a lack of plotholes in a blockbuster but it's really silly and yet the movie tried so hard to be serious.

Edited by TarickStonefire at 19:11:45 25-06-2013

• TarickStonefire 25 Jun 2013 18:54:14 2,897 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    World War Z - 67%

Once I got over it basically having no relation to the book whatsoever, and looked at it as a stand-alone product... eh. It was an alright disaster movie, basically 2012 if you replaced the tidal waves in that with waves of zombies.
    Yeah that's what I'm afraid of. I've never read the book so that won't be able to distract me (although I've heard about it and it sounds bloody brilliant as an idea and execution) but things like 2012 bore the shit out of me and if this is just a zombiefied version of those kinds of things with ONE MAN rushing to SAVE THE WORLD because ONLY HE CAN then blahhhhhh.

• Page

of 2704 First / Last