Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2253

• Page

of 2586 First / Last

• Deleted user 21 June 2013 22:27:13
    Parker.

Complete dogshit/10.
  • Deleted user 22 June 2013 04:44:53
    The Purge

Takes an interesting premise and does basically nothing with it, turning into a pretty straightforward home-invasion thriller after the setup. But it's mercifully short (just over an hour and twenty minutes) so that's something, I suppose.

4/10
  • lordofthedunce 22 Jun 2013 06:34:47 352 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    HairyArse wrote:
    Parker.

Complete dogshit/10.
    yes. Too long, terrible story and an awful showdown.
  • kentmonkey 22 Jun 2013 09:05:48 20,075 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Jack Reacher

Well, that was better than expected.

It was really just Tom Cruise being Tom Cruise and I'm sure if I could be bothered to deconstruct it there would be lots to complain about (noticed a couple of fairly large loopholes while watching it), but I went with the ride and quite enjoyed it.

7/10
  • mangojoe 22 Jun 2013 09:56:31 404 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    World war z - 8/10
  • TarickStonefire 22 Jun 2013 10:07:36 2,613 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Heist, Gene Hackman/Sam Rockwell film.

7/10 - enjoyable but SPOILERS after the first time the film reveals that the gang's MO is to con people into thinking they're doing one thing when actually they're doing the other, the entire rest of the film is laid bare as one obvious misdirection after another.

Still, I like watching Gene Hackman chew up scenery :)

Edited by TarickStonefire at 10:08:06 22-06-2013

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 22 Jun 2013 10:09:24 2,613 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    mangojoe wrote:
    World war z - 8/10
    Given the wide range of opinions about this, many of which seem to be in the lower end of the spectrum, would like to know what you enjoyed about it?

• crashVoodoo 22 Jun 2013 10:10:10 3,821 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Kingdom

8/10

I really enjoyed this especially the ending which started to feel claustrophobic and very tense.

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• TarickStonefire 22 Jun 2013 10:10:56 2,613 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    DugBriderider wrote:
    @kentmonkey

Perhaps Fight Club doesn't date well but I remember seeing it in the cinema twice (2nd time was unintentional) and thought it was great at capturing what its like to be a young man on the cusp of the millennium.

I'm not sure watching it 13 years later at home would seem so special.
    I caught most of it last night and it's still an absolute stormer. It's fucking brilliant. It still looks amazing, sounds amazing, and their execution of the 'twist' even when you know it's coming is so well done throughout that knowing the film backwards can't detract from the pleasure I get watching it every time.

• TarickStonefire 22 Jun 2013 10:13:00 2,613 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    meme wrote:
    I still firmly believe that the first scene in Inglorious Basterds is one of the best ever committed to film. Even the mistakes in it are intentional.
    Agreed. Hadn't noticed the mistakes, but the opening scene is fantastic. The ending's pretty good as well.
    I've only seen the first scene. I thought it was typical Tarantino stuff, all very pensive and tense, but also entirely predictable so I didn't bother watching the rest.

Also, what intentional mistakes, and why are they intentional?

Edited by TarickStonefire at 10:14:46 22-06-2013

• Mr_Sleep 22 Jun 2013 10:19:43 16,246 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    He basically makes every film awesome by his presence. The Firm is a perfect example, if it wasn't for Gene Hackman there wouldn't be a single likeable character in it. There's loads of examples of similar things, Enemy of the State only really gets good when he appears or is on screen. He's just brilliant.

You are a factory of sadness.

• beastmaster 22 Jun 2013 10:22:40 10,176 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    lordofthedunce wrote:
    HairyArse wrote:
    Parker.

Complete dogshit/10.
    yes. Too long, terrible story and an awful showdown.
    Really? Damn, I like The Stath. Isn't the dude from The Shield in it too? JLo's butt? How could they fuck this up?

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• TarickStonefire 22 Jun 2013 10:40:30 2,613 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    He basically makes every film awesome by his presence. The Firm is a perfect example, if it wasn't for Gene Hackman there wouldn't be a single likeable character in it. There's loads of examples of similar things, Enemy of the State only really gets good when he appears or is on screen. He's just brilliant.
    Yep, Enemy of the State is Gene's film. Big Willy just tags along for the ride.

• TarickStonefire 22 Jun 2013 10:45:12 2,613 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    This probably sounds a bit snobbish but I see Jason Statham and I expect mindless noise and violence, which seems like it might be fun, but ends up being like putting pizza and booze in a blender, whizzing it all up and slurping it down with a big straw.

Mind you I bet even that sounds appealing to some people.

• mangojoe 22 Jun 2013 10:46:34 404 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @TarickStonefire

No particular reason. It could have done with a bit more gore to be honest and apart from brad Pitt the rest of the characters were forgettable . Was just a decent jumpy zombie film. Maybe a 7/10. Not as good as 28 days later.
  • sirtacos 22 Jun 2013 11:08:16 7,205 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You know you're in trouble when Pitt's performance is the highlight of a film.

(I actually like Brad, but I think he makes for a much better supporting actor than a lead.)

Edited by sirtacos at 11:09:04 22-06-2013
  • Deleted user 22 June 2013 20:41:17
    Taken 2. Slightly pants but not dire. 56/100

Wreck it ralf. Excellent, probably Disneys best cgi movie. 90/100.
  • beastmaster 22 Jun 2013 21:11:30 10,176 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ip Man 2 - 7.5/10

Neither as terrible as I though it was going to be or godlike, it's still a very entertaining film that reminded me of Rocky 4 in more ways that one.

The story isn't as good and the whole school vs school thing seems a bit forced and there just to allow of the odd giant rumble.

The film's fight scenes though are just incredible albeit not having the same impact of those in the first film. I also like the way they bought back some of the supporting characters from the first film in as cameos.

The baddie boxer and the whole English thing pretty much went into pure caricature as the "foreign devil" which needs to be beaten.

Very predictable but non the less entertaining. Loved the end was well.

I can imagine the first film being semi-autobigraphical and it wrapped up pretty conclusively. However, I think this one was a sequel they churned out to get more cash and they decided to base it on Rocky 4.

Those who have seen it will know what I mean. If you've not seen these then the first film is a must see. This one is a very entertaining weekend afternoon time passer.

• TarickStonefire 23 Jun 2013 09:27:24 2,613 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Katy Perry: Part Of Me - 10/10

Seriously, this film changed my opinion of her. I always kind of liked her but wasn't really sure how packaged she was, but after seeing this I'm in her camp all day long. I think she's awesome, I love the songs, I love what she does for her fans, and I love how loyal she is to the people who've been with her since the start. Very moving.

I even shed a few tears at one point. What's the emoticon for a red face?

Total Recall 2012 - 0/10

Why? Just WHY? Awful, overblown shite from start to finish. Still, I liked the TWO WEEKS nod. :)

Edited by TarickStonefire at 09:28:03 23-06-2013

• D_arkTrooper 23 Jun 2013 10:06:55 1,285 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    SuperMan III

Oh what utter, UTTER tripe!

2/10

3DS Friend Code : 5000-2484-1471

Animal Crossing alter ego: Andy from Stoke

• Scurrminator Moderator 23 Jun 2013 10:26:12 8,285 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Man of steel
    8/10
    Enjoyed it. Felt a bit disjointed and some odd switches of tone. Would have liked a bit more on the aftermath but guess that's for a sequel.
    Also enough with handheld cam!

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• Syrette 23 Jun 2013 10:33:22 41,811 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:

Seriously, this film changed my opinion of her. I always kind of liked her but wasn't really sure how packaged she was, but after seeing this I'm in her camp all day long. I think she's awesome, I love the songs, I love what she does for her fans, and I love how loyal she is to the people who've been with her since the start. Very moving.

• Trowel 23 Jun 2013 10:42:40 16,849 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Zero Dark Thirty - 8/10

Really good movie - well paced, solid cast, cleverly shot. Only thing that annoys slightly is the way the story evolves by nature in a very regimented and diarised manner, but that would be impossible to avoid given the source material.
  • beastmaster 23 Jun 2013 11:28:26 10,176 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:

+1 to this. She's got some guts too allowing certain things to be filmed. She gets news that her divorce has become final just before she's due to take the stage in Brazil(?). It took some character to go up and do that. Also, being filmed without her makeup on. Bit of a shock but still most definitely would. Well worth watching.

On the subject of documentaries.

Restrepo - 9/10

Stunning multiple award wining documentary which two Vanity Fair journalists spend 15 months embedded in a platoon, on mission in the Korangal Valley in Afghanistan. The title of the film comes from an observation post named after a medic who was killed early in the campaign.

The film starts off with shots of the soldiers before they are deployed. All fresh faced and full of optimism. A stark contrast to what they are in the interviews after the campaign has finished.

The Korangal Valley is basically situated less than a kilometre away from Taliban positions. A hellhole in which the platoon was under file every single day in the 15 month campaign, which is totally unheard of.

The film is really upsetting in places too. They show the reaction of the soldiers a few just after a friend of theirs is killed. It also follows a mission 'Rock Avalanche' whereby they go into uncharted Taliban territory and what happens to them when they get there.

A powerful, haunting film that will stick with you for a long time after you watch it. Not an easy watch but shows the horrors of war much more effectively than most Hollywood films you'll ever see.

• Mola_Ram 23 Jun 2013 12:25:07 6,229 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Ip Man 2 - 7.5/10
    I can imagine the first film being semi-autobigraphical and it wrapped up pretty conclusively. However, I think this one was a sequel they churned out to get more cash and they decided to base it on Rocky 4.
    Very, very loosely autobiographical. There wasn't any duel with a Japanese general, and I kind of doubt he would have been able to dispatch soldiers with guns so easily. He chose to be a policeman; he wasn't forced to. And his rent troubles might have been in part due to his opium addiction, which wasn't even hinted at in the movies. According to a former student, he used a portion of the tuition money to fund this addiction.

None of this is a huge problem - dramatic license and all that. And they're fun movies! But if you're looking at them for historical accuracy, best look elsewhere.

And as you said, the second one is like a Chinese Rocky IV. And it felt appropriately old-fashioned and cheesy to me. It's like they're just catching up to the '80s!

Edited by Mola_Ram at 12:31:24 23-06-2013
  • Dolly 23 Jun 2013 13:10:07 3,163 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Man of Steel - 8/10

Could just have used a liiiitle bit more humour dotted around for my tastes, but serves as hopefully a great start for a decent series of DC movies. I actually found it a bit emotional at points and thought all the performances were pretty solid. Zods motivations were good, in that he wasn't just 'a nutter' but believed he was doing the right thing
  • TechnoHippy 23 Jun 2013 13:51:54 14,637 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Life of Pi

I have to confess I wasn't expecting much from this film. From all the praise it has received I was expecting something pleasant, but i doubted it would live up to the hype.

Well I was wrong. This is an amazing film. It tells the story of an Indian boy and his life, in particular it tells of how he survived when the ship he was sailing on sank in the pacific. Everything about this film is perfect. It's wonderfully acted, beautifully filmed and the animation is superb.

I loved the animation on the Tiger, he doesn't say much, but he's a great character. I loved the T-Rex moment :-)

Quite simply this a great film, one I'd recommend to everyone.

10/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• askew 23 Jun 2013 14:53:00 11,453 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    TarickStonefire wrote:

+1 to this. She's got some guts too allowing certain things to be filmed. She gets news that her divorce has become final just before she's due to take the stage in Brazil(?). It took some character to go up and do that. Also, being filmed without her makeup on. Bit of a shock but still most definitely would. Well worth watching.
    Not sure if serious or trolling effort

/watches Katy Perry.
  • werewolf_poo 23 Jun 2013 15:53:46 127 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Red Lights 5/10

Wasn't impressed with De Niro' performance, the set up was quite good and some good performances from Murphy and Weaver but really felt like they were thought of the last 25 minutes whilst filming. Could have been really good if they made the ending a bit more..........for lack of a better word SOLID
  • TechnoHippy 23 Jun 2013 16:02:33 14,637 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Enemy of the State

A fun thriller that I haven't watched in years. Everyone involved puts in good performance, but Gene Hackman makes it as he generally does. Will Smith is pretty good in this as well. It's about a lawyer (Will Smith) who accidentally receives a tape that shows the murder of a congressmen. It looks at electronic surveillance, which is appropriate considering the news at the moment :-)

It's well filmed and an entertaining watch. The story is well paced and builds to an excellent climax. It's also a bit of a who's who for actors, there quite a few known names in there doing bit parts.

Great fun to watch and probably one of Will Smith's better films.

8/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Page

of 2586 First / Last