Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2230

• Page

of 2749 First / Last

• TechnoHippy 18 May 2013 19:52:38 14,707 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The City of Lost Children

A strange French film with the mighty Ron Perlman. I liked it a lot, it has an odd mix of fairy tale and Dickens about it.

7/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Deleted user 18 May 2013 21:23:56
    TechnoHippy wrote:

A strange French film with the mighty Ron Perlman. I liked it a lot, it has an odd mix of fairy tale and Dickens about it.

7/10
    Watched this years ago. Good film with great vibes. You might want to check out Delicatessen too.
  • Dougs 18 May 2013 21:37:12 67,132 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    khaz wrote:
    I didnt say i hate it. I just didnt think it was very good as a film. It was indeed very well sung and Anne Hathaway was really good but on the whole, weak and lacking any sort of impact.

And the spoken dialogue in the film is sung as well. Which irritated me no end.
    Isn't that the point though? It's a musical, there are no spoken words.
  • Deleted user 18 May 2013 21:42:29
    It's kind of unusual to have a musical (especially a film version) where all the dialogue is sung. That's usually reserved for operas or Andrew Lloyd Webber crap.
  • kalel 18 May 2013 22:38:03 86,901 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's a specific type of musical. I forget the name. There are a fair few. Martin Guerre is another one.
  • tuff 18 May 2013 22:43:08 624 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Collector
    23%
    Wang Computers

Ironman 3
    62%
    Amstrad GX4000

Hannibal
    76%
    Sega Master System
  • speedofthepuma 18 May 2013 22:45:54 13,281 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There are several spoken lines in the film.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• beastmaster 18 May 2013 22:48:35 11,315 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ukrainian dude is a cock!

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• speedofthepuma 18 May 2013 22:49:48 13,281 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Ukrainian dude is a cock!
    You've either posted in the wrong thread or are mistaking my accent.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• beastmaster 18 May 2013 22:50:31 11,315 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    :-)

/back later

• Deleted user 18 May 2013 22:57:19
    kalel wrote:
    It's a specific type of musical. I forget the name. There are a fair few. Martin Guerre is another one.
    Sung-Through, going by a Google.
  • B0rked_Gamer 18 May 2013 23:10:09 2,550 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I can't suspend disbelief and go with a movie if the dialogue is sung. Musicals make me angry for some reason. They seem deeply uncool.

Edited by B0rked_Gamer at 23:10:52 18-05-2013
  • sirtacos 18 May 2013 23:14:29 7,273 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I don't mind musicals as long as they take place on a stage.
    I find them infuriating on a screen. They fill me with inexplicable rage.
  • khaz 18 May 2013 23:45:50 2,779 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    khaz wrote:
    I didnt say i hate it. I just didnt think it was very good as a film. It was indeed very well sung and Anne Hathaway was really good but on the whole, weak and lacking any sort of impact.

And the spoken dialogue in the film is sung as well. Which irritated me no end.
    Isn't that the point though? It's a musical, there are no spoken words.
    Chicago
    Grease
    The Producers
    Cabaret
    Guys and Dolls

None had speaking parts being sung. And this list is just of the top of my head. Good musicals too, especially Chicago; in fact good film overall.

Edited by khaz at 23:47:05 18-05-2013
  • beastmaster 18 May 2013 23:54:23 11,315 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Loved the musical Chicago at the theatre. HATED the film version. CZJ is no Leigh Zimmerman either.

• kentmonkey 18 May 2013 23:59:59 20,566 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Porco Rosso

Decent Studio Ghibli film but nowhere near the heights of Arriety and Princess Mononoke for me. Starting to look old now (because, well, it is) but that adds to the charm. Also, it's one of the few earlier Ghibli films where the English dub doesn't ruin it.

6/10

Looper

In this horrible, horrible future, where violence seems common-place if old-Joe's story arc is anything to go by, apparently it's easier to go to all of the expense and effort to send humans back into the past to get murdered there, even though in some cases they burn houses down to, one would assume, suggest that people died in the fire, rather than murder them in the future...erm, present...because. Oh fuck it I don't know. That whole 'send people back to die' nonsense made no sense to me at all, seeing what the future was actually like.

And why they transferred them to a field in the open for somebody to shoot them when they could have dropped them into the middle of the ocean, or space, or a volcano, or anywhere else where they didn't need to employ people and pay them to kill them is quite beyond me.

Quite a few inconsistencies and flaws that annoyed me as well:

- drinks appearing in the cafe when she hadn't delivered them yet
    - Willis being left handed and the younger one (forget his name) being right handed
    - the TK kid (Cid) giving the answer of 32 as '3x8' and then putting it on the 7x8 tile
    -nobody being in that car at the end when it gets turned over, as they stuck a camera at the front of it where you could clearly see nobody was in it
    - this one I can't be sure but I think the younger Joe got shot in the right shoulder at the barn, and I'm sure she treated his left shoulder outside the house

Plus quite a few more. There was just so much that either didn't make sense or they didn't pay enough attention to for me. And I've never had to turn the volume up and down so much in my life. Spoken sections were often inaudible unless the volume was right up, explosions were then fuck off loud, some gun shots sounded like farts, others nearly had my ears bleeding.

As a 'take brain out, watch explosions, don't think hard about it' film it's okay, but I wasn't in that mood tonight.

4/10
  • khaz 19 May 2013 00:07:02 2,779 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Loved the musical Chicago at the theatre. HATED the film version. CZJ is no Leigh Zimmerman either.
    Oh, total agreement about the stage version being better. I just happened to like the film too. Richard Gere nailed his part.
  • Kilters 19 May 2013 00:23:15 571 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gatsby

Very boring /10
  • sirtacos 19 May 2013 01:49:22 7,273 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    REC 2

Occasionally tense, but ultimately cheap.

The infection's origin story is much more interesting than I expected, and the building in which the terrors unfold has more personality than the characters themselves. A real sense of place is evoked. I even like the non-linear structure.

What I dislike about this film is what I don't like about a lot of horror in general: it's cheap. It puts hapless, idiotic people into deadly situations and sadistically documents the inevitable outcome. The characters in REC2 are helpless and hopeless, facing a relentless and merciless threat. I'd be fine with that if it weren't for the fact that they're dumber than the actual zombies.

They're also very bland, not very likeable, and spout flavourless dialogue.

'Idiot characters' seems like an inconsequential gripe for a horror flick, and yet I find that it nullifies whatever enjoyment I would have otherwise gleaned from it.

5/10

Edited by sirtacos at 01:58:44 19-05-2013
  • TechnoHippy 19 May 2013 13:54:30 14,707 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fire in the Sky

An ok film about alien abduction. Robert Patrick in a beard was amusing.

5/10

• addyb 19 May 2013 14:00:47 1,045 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just watched:

The collection.

Sequel to the collector which I actually enjoyed. The sequel ramps up the scale but its your typical horror affair, massive plot holes, tons of gore, forgettable characters. I got what I expected from it.

5/10
  • TechnoHippy 19 May 2013 15:37:44 14,707 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Raiders of the Lost Ark

Still one of the greatest action films ever made.

10/10

• Deleted user 19 May 2013 16:31:49
    The Rules of Attraction (2002) 8/10

Interesting, well acted, and *the rewind idea seemed original. The Dvd cover is ok, although what really tempted me to give the film ago were the words ‘From the corrupt minds that brought you American Psycho and Pulp Fiction’. To be honest it failed to beat either of those two films.

*The rewind idea: Play a scene from start to finish, rewind it throwing in a couple of alternate angles (to make it more interesting) stop at any given moment, and continue on a new route via a different character, and on reaching a certain point, re-apply the rewind idea.

• TechnoHippy 19 May 2013 16:34:50 14,707 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    blacksea wrote:
    TechnoHippy wrote:

7/10
    Watched this years ago. Good film with great vibes. You might want to check out Delicatessen too.
    Thanks I'll check it out.

• Deleted user 19 May 2013 17:17:21
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Raiders of the Lost Ark

Still one of the greatest action films ever made.

10/10
    Going to have to pick this up on Blu-ray. I haven't seen Raiders for years. Come to think about it, I never checked out the Dvd.
  • Deckard1 19 May 2013 17:44:18 27,668 posts
    Seen 41 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'd say the cover for the DVD is much better than the cover for the blu-ray. It is difficult though as the blu-ray is probably better as it has more pixels. Not sure why they would pick the better picture for the DVD as the DVD is not the best version as the blu-ray has more pixels.

Hush you ponce

• repairmanjack 19 May 2013 17:47:39 6,004 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Star Trek: Into Darkness. 9/10

Glad I managed to keep it spoiler free. I can see it putting afew backs up here and there but I have to say we loved it. It's just fun. I think it's in safe hands from here on out. Hope the franchise runs and runs.

Argo. 9/10

Just brilliant film-making and incredibly tense. Great script and performances. A really slick production.
  • Deleted user 19 May 2013 18:00:52
    I like this cover, it has a charm to it that no other cover has

but then sometimes just going simple is the best thing to do

of course you should always think about widescreen releases, though this doesn't have enough yellow for my liking

this black one would stand out well

this one combines yellow with a red strip at the top which is nice

this is probably my favourite back cover

but this foreign one has some nice touches

Edited by meme at 18:01:16 19-05-2013
  • Deckard1 19 May 2013 18:05:21 27,668 posts
    Seen 41 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The second one is the most exciting.

Hush you ponce

• lordofthedunce 19 May 2013 18:18:38 375 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    wtf is with the last image and the blurb?! Mental.
  • Page

of 2749 First / Last