Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2156

• Page

of 2863 First / Last

• Deleted user 7 March 2013 09:44:45
    Westworld is very much the blueprint for Terminator, and to some extent Jurassic Park as well (both written by Michael Crighton).

Futureworld is a bit different. It's ok, but not as good.
  • Gambit1977 7 Mar 2013 09:47:29 10,384 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Futureworld is 'ok', not a patch on WW though.
  • nickthegun 7 Mar 2013 09:51:54 61,318 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I first saw Westworld on Moviedrome (GOD BLESS YOU ALEX COX) and was absolutely blown away.

I think it was on a double with Demon Seed, which is also excellent.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Deleted user 7 March 2013 09:53:17
    Yes, I first saw it on Moviedrome, as I did with Terminator as well.
  • nickthegun 7 Mar 2013 09:56:44 61,318 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its no wonder I was always knackered for school on mondays. Moviedrome is largely responsible for me really appreciating cinema.

Just looking back, you really cant fault their picks in the slightest.

http://www.kurtodrome.net/moviedrome.htm

• Deleted user 7 March 2013 09:59:20
    Yup, me too. Particularly a certain type of film. Basically films that Alex Cox likes.
  • Dougs 7 Mar 2013 10:03:11 69,516 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Westworld is all kinds of awesome. I've read Demon Seed, but not sure I've seen the film
  • nickthegun 7 Mar 2013 10:05:19 61,318 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its rly, rly gud. You should try and dig it out.

• Dougs 7 Mar 2013 10:08:02 69,516 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hmm, not on Netflix. Wank. £23 on Amazon!
  • nickthegun 7 Mar 2013 10:11:32 61,318 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TO THE PIRATE BAY!

• imamazed 7 Mar 2013 10:12:20 5,959 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    yarrrr
  • Gambit1977 7 Mar 2013 10:18:51 10,384 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I first saw Westworld on Moviedrome (GOD BLESS YOU ALEX COX) and was absolutely blown away.

I think it was on a double with Demon Seed, which is also excellent.
    This for me too! :-D
    I miss Moviedrome. That's how I saw 'Society' :lol:
  • nickthegun 7 Mar 2013 10:21:26 61,318 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A double bill with The Fly, according to the site I linked to. Now THATS a nights entertainment!

• Gambit1977 7 Mar 2013 10:23:18 10,384 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It really was something else. Cox presenting followed by Cocks in mutants followed by Cocks in the medicine cabinet!
  • Blaketown 7 Mar 2013 10:43:32 4,953 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    God I loved Moviedrome.

Always thought it should work today.

You could even get guests to curate the double feature. I mean I bet Tarrantino would jump at the chance to put together a double feature once a month to be shown late at night. I guarantee Edgar Wright would do it in a heartbeat.

And these films can't cost any more than the utter bilge that they show after the Football League Show on BBC1 on a Saturday night.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• imamazed 7 Mar 2013 10:45:07 5,959 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think Edgar Wright actually participated in a similar sort of feature on fillum4 a year or so ago.

Agree that I'd like to see this sort of thing on a mainstream bbc channel though
  • nickthegun 7 Mar 2013 10:50:19 61,318 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You wouldnt get it anymore, sadly. They would just see the hundreds of movie channels and think 'why bother?'.

Its funny, though. The more choice you have, the less you seem to watch. All the people in their early 20s I have worked with in the last few years dont watch anything made before they were born.

I probably wouldnt either, but with four channels on a sunday night it was either moviedrome or the fucking south bank show.

• Blaketown 7 Mar 2013 10:54:36 4,953 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm forcing my son to watch old films.

He hated Bullitt the other week even though he claims to be a car nut.

Loved Mad Max 2 last weekend though.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• imamazed 7 Mar 2013 10:56:58 5,959 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, for reference, I'm 22 and all my favourite movies are from before 1980. Well, most of them. But I do suppose that's atypical.
  • Vortex808 7 Mar 2013 10:59:37 7,580 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Blaketown wrote:
    God I loved Moviedrome.

Always thought it should work today.

You could even get guests to curate the double feature. I mean I bet Tarrantino would jump at the chance to put together a double feature once a month to be shown late at night. I guarantee Edgar Wright would do it in a heartbeat.

And these films can't cost any more than the utter bilge that they show after the Football League Show on BBC1 on a Saturday night.
    I would be all for this. It showed a lot of great films I'd probably never have seen otherwise.

Repo Man being a favourite of mine. Not sure how that'd hold up today though.
  • Deleted user 7 March 2013 11:03:55
    Repo Man is of course actually written by Alex Cox himself.

It holds up pretty well. It's an odd film but it has that going for it really. It keeps it fresh. I have the masterworks BR edition which is a really good transfer.
  • Deleted user 7 March 2013 11:09:13
    kalel wrote:
    joelstinton wrote:
    American Beauty.

Forgotten how good this is. Been YEARS since i last saw this. Holds up very well, still very funny and cutting too. A couple things grate like some forced sterotypes, but at the same time, thats what people expect themselves to be so...

10/10
    Yeah, it's a funny one. I find the character I struggle with most is Ricky. I can't decide whether we're supposed to think he's a deep and talented prodigy, or a pretentious little cunt. The "plastic bag" scene always throws me.

But overall I really do like this film a lot. It's got a nice pace and tone to it, and Spacey is just perfect.
    He is certainly an interesting character, and one i struggled with as well. I could relate to him in a way - a lot of my photography is focussed on found objects, or juxtaposition in a contemporary landscape. Its a massive part of the photography world.

I couldn't work out if he was far too excessive - [Spoiler] The whole relating it to god and existance - The constant filming of people was really creepy, and really gave me vibes of Hidden. But theres no doubt some of his shots clearly examine the state of the human condition that had real value. I think he realised that he could get that same feeling filming other people, as most shots ended up zooming into other peoples faces.

I didn't get those vibes of pretentious cunt or prodigy, but rather taking things too far. Its his confidence thats most jarring. I can't take photos of people. I'm a wuss and too afraid of what people think i'm doing.

For me, i found ricky dad, the most confusing. Rather that whole bit thinking he has seen his son give head a bit weak. Or rather the weakest part of setting up the ending. I'm still not sure on it yet. [/Spoiler]
  • Blaketown 7 Mar 2013 11:09:19 4,953 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah bloody love Repo Man, when HDS turned up in The Avengers I got all excited.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• bad09 7 Mar 2013 11:19:10 6,255 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Patriot

Saw this on Netflix, never seen it before but was in the mood seeing as I'm in the middle of AC3 so gave it a watch. I'd prefer a more historical look at the war but this fictional story is a good watch. Somewhat predictable and cliché in it's plot but a good watch nonetheless with a good cast (even has Odo!) giving good performances and even Mel isn't that annoying. Visually stunning to, oozed spectacle and atmosphere.

Very "USA! USA!" but then I given the subject I guess you can forgive that this time. :)

70%

After that Netflix suggested another I hadn't seen for a long time so decided to stay up and stay in the 18th century so headed out to sea on....

The Bounty

Glorious film, again with Mel who is bland for much of the film outside of his roaring row with Bligh at the mutiny (I know it's an age old story but I should still spoiler!). I don't think it's his fault but at that time he just seems to struggle against the heavyweight of Hopkins. Hopkins, of course is great and haunting in his performance and the supporting cast is strong with some real "Oh look it's whatshisface from thingie" actors. A beautifully shot film to that very much like The Patriot just oozes authentic atmosphere. Great re-telling of the classic tale and you go away not really knowing who was the "villian" of the piece. Was Bligh really that much of a monster or was the loveblind Christian the problem?

My one criticism is the soundtrack, it's not really a good fit to the film IMO, other than that though cracking film.

80%

Edited by bad09 at 11:26:39 07-03-2013
  • Maturin 7 Mar 2013 12:02:43 3,231 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Bligh was a bit of a bastard by all accounts but that was party due to being a bit out of his depth. He also had a chip on his shoulder about "gentlemen" officers as he'd risen from lower means. He was an excellent sailor though and his his navigation after being expelled from the Bounty is astonishing - he got them 3600 miles to Timor in that small boat.
  • nickthegun 7 Mar 2013 12:09:54 61,318 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Does the story of Mutiny on the Bounty really need spoilering?

• bad09 7 Mar 2013 12:13:25 6,255 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Maturin

Yeah I was reading up on the real event this morning actually and it does seem The Bounty has the closet factual look at Bligh and it does seem he was, as you say, a bit out of his depth.

I guess with the earlier film versions always portraying a monster it's kinda stuck that Bligh was a villian.
  • bad09 7 Mar 2013 12:14:18 6,255 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Does the story of Mutiny on the Bounty really need spoilering?
    I did say that :) Someone always moans though so it's just easier.
  • BinaryBob101 7 Mar 2013 13:32:21 24,424 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Blaketown wrote:
    Yeah bloody love Repo Man, when HDS turned up in The Avengers I got all excited.
    If you're a fan of HDS and haven't seen it, then track down Paris, Texas. It's a great film and he really shines in the lead role, great soundtrack by Ry Cooder too.

Another fan of Moviedrome here too, what an education for the young folk of the 80s.

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• sirtacos 8 Mar 2013 06:56:42 7,378 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Winter's Bone

Jennifer Lawrence tracks down her father in meth country. Makes extensive use of her brass balls.

7/10
  • Page

of 2863 First / Last