Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2153

• Page

of 2862 First / Last

• evild_edd 4 Mar 2013 13:33:20 3,198 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Re: Argo.

It's a very good, solid film, but not exceptional. I thought Life Of Pi was more deserving of those shortlisted (though I haven't seen most of the others).

Danny whatshisface on Film 2013 summed up Argo really well in the pre-Oscars show, when he predicted that it would go on to become a great pub quiz question in 20 years' time:

"What film won best picture in the year that Life Of Pi, Lincoln, Django Unchained, Zero Dark Thirty, and Les Miserables missed out?"

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• figgis 4 Mar 2013 13:44:52 7,382 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Both Argo and Zero Dark Thirty were just about reasonable films, but the standard of films this year must be fucking terrible if they are amongst the best ones.

Edited by figgis at 13:46:50 04-03-2013
  • Deleted user 4 March 2013 13:47:47
    Argo was very "America - fuck yeah!", which is good Oscar bait.
  • beastmaster 4 Mar 2013 13:48:23 11,986 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Grave Encounters - 6/10

This ain't bad. A film based on one of those reality TV shows like Most Haunted. It's not just the show though, there's behind the scenes footage which shows how things are set up and what frauds they are.

The crew decide to get locked away in a mental hospital for the night. Needless to say, things do not go to plan.

Some of the scares you can see coming a mile off. However, there are one or two which are really effective. I'm not really a fan of all this 'lost footage' shit but I though I'd give this a go and I quite enjoyed it.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Blaketown 4 Mar 2013 13:48:43 4,953 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    thedaveeyres wrote:
    Just a word of warning to those with little 'uns, my nearly-five year old little girl likes 'scary' movies - her favourite film at the moment is Hotel Transylvania - but ParaNorman scared the living shit out of her and we had to turn it off. Try before you buy.
    My 3 year old loves it to bits. It's by far his favourite film. I love it too but yeah the horror pastiche is pretty on the money in places.

I was definitely a bit worried he was freaking out in places.

"I AM NOT SCARED DADDY STOP ASKING!!!"

Edited by Blaketown at 13:52:09 04-03-2013

Brap, brap, old chap.

• Mr_Sleep 4 Mar 2013 13:56:07 17,374 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    This was tempered somewhat by the makers pointing out right at the start that America's tampering with the Middle East led to many problems. Doesn't quite outweigh the very pro American stance but I doubt it would have done half as well if it had gone down the route of being more critical than it was.

You are a factory of sadness.

• thedaveeyres 4 Mar 2013 13:58:38 11,585 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Heh, I think we'll give it another go... with hot chocolates and lots of cushions for hiding behind... at the weekend.

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• sirtacos 4 Mar 2013 13:59:02 7,378 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Intouchables

Quadriplegic aristocrat befriends young rapscallion.
    Worlds collide, lessons are learned, etc.

This flick is elegantly understated, funny and charming. It's enjoyable and heartwarming.

Unfortunately, it's also derivative and risk-averse.

It won't change your life, but it's worth seeing.

6.5/10
  • Trowel 4 Mar 2013 14:03:24 18,055 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I compared it to Apollo 13 a few pages back, basically the same film.

I was using the same analogy in work this morning and someone complained that I'd ruined it by telling her the hostages escape.

Think I ruined Apollo 13 for her too...
  • Bremenacht 4 Mar 2013 14:21:37 19,663 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Blotto wrote:
    Hunger Games

Genuinely not bad at all. Last half hour or so drags and it was as schmaltzy as I thought it was going to be in the first and last 15/20 minutes but the rest of it was far grittier than I was expecting. Sort of felt like an episode of Black Mirror, hollywood style.

In terms of the sequel.. I don't get it, they've done the Hunger Games now, surely they're not going to be in it twice? Seems like their only option is to focus on the annoying relationships and the "lets overthrow the government" aspects rather than the games themselves, the thing that made this movie good. Probably going to have to give that a miss

7/10
    No, not bad at all. I enjoyed it. It's outwardly teen-magnet quasi-Twilight stuff, but it's got a darker heart to it.

As to the sequel, there are three books to cover, and you've got the gist of where it goes. I don't think there's enough material for the next two films, but I'm sure I read somewhere that there'll be 4 in total. I think the only way they'll achieve that is by going totally Twilight with angsty teen love-triangle crap.
  • RedSparrows 4 Mar 2013 14:23:20 24,235 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    RedSparrows wrote:
    I liked The King's Speech, but the way people went nuts for it, it was as though I should have cried out for Harry and St. George or something.
    Yeah I liked it as well, but again, it was just a fairly standard formulaic flick.

It was also incredibly blatant Oscar bait, to a ludicrous degree. Amazed they couldn't squeeze Judy Dench in there somehow.
    Pretty much summarises my reaction to a lot of films, and then I get knocked down as being 'pretentious' or some other such gubbins. The Oscars are hardly a guarantor of top quality, even when the movie was good, like TKS.
  • Deleted user 4 March 2013 14:24:24
    Without being spoilery, the books progress the broader story, but still manage to retain an element of what makes the first one good. Although that said I thought the third book was utter shit.
  • Bremenacht 4 Mar 2013 14:26:27 19,663 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Surprise ending though. I didn't expect it.
  • Razz 4 Mar 2013 14:29:09 61,655 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Spanky wrote:
    Razz wrote:
    V/H/S
    I'd like to see something like this again.
    6/10
    There's quite a lot of portmanteau horrors around, Trick 'R Treat was okay but of course I know the one you really wanna see is Snoop Dogg's Hood of Horror.

Oldies are best btw, Dead of Night, Creepshow, Monsterclub, Vault of Horror, Tales from the Crypt etc
    Awesome! Thanks man! YHou know, as soon as I submiutted that post I thought that actually that type of thing has probably been around for a while. E.g. TV shoes like Tales of the crypt etc.. but afaik it's been a while since this format has hit the big screen, hopefully VHS will spark a revival of Horror Anthology Films.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Blotto 4 Mar 2013 14:33:55 2,777 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hmm, whilst I did think it was a reasonably good film, if you take the focus off the Hunger Games prep and the actual games themselves then you've gutted the film of what made it good.

Don't want to look it up as I'll probably get around to watching the second at some point but I sort of feel like this first one just facilitates the love stuff that their target audience want rather than a sign that this series will be significantly better than Twilight for that sort of stuff.
  • Buztafen 4 Mar 2013 15:10:22 16,531 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Watched Twilight Breaking Douche Part Deux and Battleship on Sat night. It was a dark night for the film industry.

Twishite 2/10 (2 points for Micheal Sheen chewing much scenery, especially an extremely over the top high pitched laugh he does towards the end!?)

Could have seriously been condensed into a 15min film and considering the amount of money the bloody films have made the speshul FX should have been fucking amazing. Alas it was all utterly shit. Even my fiance, an actual 'female' thought it was cack. Proud of her. Also...and i cannot get across my sheer bewilderment at this next fact...there was a CGI baby in it...:eek: ............WHY NOT USE A REAL BABY? YOU'RE ONLY FUCKING HOLDING IT...LIKE YOU WOULD A NORMAL CHILD!!!!

Battleship 4/10

Was actually better than expected but that's like saying a huge mound of shit didnt end up smelling quite as bad as it looked. It was quite pretty though. Blonde in it had a nice rack too.

Luckily the weekend was saved by Life of Pi on sunday.

Life of Pi 8.9/10

Very beautiful, awesome film. A little heavy on the god stuff at the beginning for my liking but just a wonderful, powerful story well told with some of if not the best use of CGI ive witnessed in a movie. Richard Parker is a seriously amazing creation and i want him as my pet.
  • Gambit1977 4 Mar 2013 15:51:56 10,384 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I just couldn't help smiling every time Pi says Richard Parker :-)
    Lovely film and absolutely beautiful.
  • oceanmotion 4 Mar 2013 16:04:22 16,126 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Buztafen wrote:
    Watched Twilight Breaking Douche Part Deux and Battleship on Sat night. It was a dark night for the film industry.

Twishite 2/10 (2 points for Micheal Sheen chewing much scenery, especially an extremely over the top high pitched laugh he does towards the end!?)

Could have seriously been condensed into a 15min film and considering the amount of money the bloody films have made the speshul FX should have been fucking amazing. Alas it was all utterly shit. Even my fiance, an actual 'female' thought it was cack. Proud of her. Also...and i cannot get across my sheer bewilderment at this next fact...there was a CGI baby in it...:eek: ............WHY NOT USE A REAL BABY? YOU'RE ONLY FUCKING HOLDING IT...LIKE YOU WOULD A NORMAL CHILD!!!!

Yeah but the Indian Wolf guy fancies the baby giving it strange looks as it gets older like he can't wait... Even at the end he makes a joke to the Vamp father of CGI daughter, so do I call you Dad. She is still a child!

People were laughing their heads off in the cinema which is a good thing with these films, I would be worried that they think these are good. First one isn't awful though. Rest are hilarious. Think they'll be remade in no time, books are apparently far better.
  • Deleted user 4 March 2013 16:07:47
    Argo's not only pro-USA, but also very pro-Hollywood. It's a good film, but I'm a little unsurprised it won, especially after all the "WHY IS AFFLECK NOT BEST DIRECTOR?" backlash. They were almost obligated to give it after that.
  • Buztafen 4 Mar 2013 16:17:55 16,531 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Yeah but the Indian Wolf guy fancies the baby giving it strange looks as it gets older like he can't wait... Even at the end he makes a joke to the Vamp father of CGI daughter, so do I call you Dad. She is still a child!

People were laughing their heads off in the cinema which is a good thing with these films, I would be worried that they think these are good. First one isn't awful though. Rest are hilarious. Think they'll be remade in no time, books are apparently far better.
    Heh, i actually totally forgot about that part. Must've been a mental block to save my sanity. I complained about the whole 'werewolf dude wants to diddle a child' thing at the beginning and my other half said it wasn't like that and he 'just wanted to protect the fake baby, its love like you would have for a niece...'. Straight after the 'should i call you dad?' scene she changed her tune to 'yeah that's some sick shit...she's only 10 man!'. Awful film.

Edited by Buztafen at 16:18:32 04-03-2013
  • Buztafen 4 Mar 2013 16:23:05 16,531 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    I just couldn't help smiling every time Pi says Richard Parker :-)
    Lovely film and absolutely beautiful.
    The guy who plays boat Pi was brilliant in the part. The scene where he tells the second possibly/probably real story in one monologue was powerful stuff and i was struggling to hold back tears. Impressive stuff from an unknown actor.

Edited by Buztafen at 16:23:20 04-03-2013
  • Buztafen 4 Mar 2013 16:28:30 16,531 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh and here's that Micheal Sheen laugh from Twishite. If the film was just that scene...10/10.

TEEHEEHEE!

Edited by Buztafen at 16:29:30 04-03-2013
  • Gambit1977 4 Mar 2013 16:31:56 10,384 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Buztafen Totally agree. What I loved (having read the book) was the ambiguity of the second more plausible story which came across so well, as you say, down to great casting.

There's a couple of scenes where the screen shrinks to reveal black borders...I urge everyone to watch it in 3D specifically for these sections!
  • TOOTR 4 Mar 2013 16:32:07 9,648 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was in the same group as Michael Sheen in the National Theatre of Wales in my younger days.

/smokes pipe
    /remembers his youth
    /refuses to watch any twilight film ever under any circumstances

BinaryBob101 wrote:
    The Danger Mouse reboot worries me a great deal.

• Buztafen 4 Mar 2013 16:39:20 16,531 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    There's a couple of scenes where the screen shrinks to reveal black borders...I urge everyone to watch it in 3D specifically for these sections!
    Now you mention it i did wonder what was going on in those scene. Thought it was something to do with the use of IMAX camera as that the only time ive seen something like that happen like in Batman movies... I need a 3D tv, expensive unnecessary upgrade mind. :(
  • Gambit1977 4 Mar 2013 16:42:09 10,384 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Buztafen Basically, it expands the view point, BUT...keeps the whole frame for the 3D images. Looks stunning in practice.
  • dwalker109 4 Mar 2013 17:07:32 23 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Rust & Bone
    9/10

Saw this last night and thought it was fantastic. I did find myself thinking "would I find this as captivating if it was a Ken Loach film set in Clacton-on-Sea?" but I looked past that and found it really engrossing. Performances were great, a nice level of ambiguity to lots of it, but not frustratingly so.

Before Sunrise / Before Sunset
    8/10

Taken as a pair, I thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing. I found the older one a bit dated and as a jaded 30-something, a bit annoying. But bookended with the second part I thought it all worked rather well.

Edited by dwalker109 at 17:08:01 04-03-2013
  • Razz 4 Mar 2013 18:41:28 61,655 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cabin in the Woods

Never heard anything about it until recently, this one totally passed me by. I quite enjoyed it! But I don't really know what to make of it genre wise. I wouldn't call it a horror film, more of a spoof. And it's definitely SciFi. I'm currently calling it a sciFi film that spoofs horror. o_O I know, it's shit. But I've only just finished watching it.

Whilst I really loved watching it, I don't get what the twist was supposed to be? I was told that there is a twist towards the end of the film. But I didn't notice one. The plot seemed to flow quite well, there was nothing too surprising, well except for the appearance of Sigourney Weaver (which was awesome!!!).

If the twist was supposed to be that the group are a sacrifice well, that was obvious from quite early on. If the twist was supposed to be that the survivors chose to let the world burn, that wasn't a twist, it just made sense in the context of the film. It's spoof for Christ sake! It was not surprising.

For me this film is awesome because it's clearly a big "fuck you" to the current identikit Horror film genre. Sitterson and Hadley (the guys controlling the cabin) are film directors, the office they work in is a movie studio and the Gods are us, the audience.

9/10

Edited by Razz at 09:18:37 05-03-2013

Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• munki83 4 Mar 2013 19:15:32 1,453 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I really enjoyed Cabin in the Woods I need to get round to watching it again

Stoker 7/10

Went to see this as I loved old boy and wanted to see Park Chan-Wook's first western film. I was a little underwhelmed by it. The cinematography is great and the attention to the sound was great. However the story is a little weak and it just didn't grab me. Nicole Kidman's character seemed a bit pointless. However I'm glad I'm not a girl who has a creepy uncle
  • Load_2.0 4 Mar 2013 19:53:13 19,670 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Buztafen wrote:
    Oh and here's that Micheal Sheen laugh from Twishite. If the film was just that scene...10/10.

TEEHEEHEE!
    Heh, the youtube comments :).
  • Page

of 2862 First / Last