Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2152

• Page

of 2703 First / Last

• Dougs 3 Mar 2013 22:44:02 66,610 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    War Games.

just finished Ready Player One and feeling nostalgic.

It was actually rather good and has inspired me to watch the Lost Boys and Breakfast club next. Hell I might even watch Rad!

9/10
    Hang on, you'd never seen it?!
  • Razz 4 Mar 2013 00:59:29 60,748 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Paranormal Activity 4

Finally got around to seeing this, I loved the first 3, they were genuinely haunting and brought some new ideas to an old genre. This one, however, felt a little stale. It seemed like a rushed cash in with nothing new plot wise or any big scare moments. It didn't help that I guessed that Wyatt was actually Hunter from the beginning. Some positive parts, loved the used of the kinect and the bit at the end that shows that the cabal has grown quite large since the 3rd film. Which reminds me, the product placement was very off putting "fucking prius" >:I hopefully they'll get the next one right.

4/10

V/H/S

Been meaning to watch this one for a while. I had no idea it was a collection of short stories by different directors. Seems like a good concept, i.e. a bunch of amateur films strung together similar to a book of short stories!

I could've done without the main story part to string it all together. Didn't need it. I would've been happy with just a fade to black and a title of the next film.

The first story with the vampire was really good! Really fucked up! Loved it :D The next with the couple on holiday was shite, not even horror really. The third one, was just an abridged Blair Witch, but not all bad. The one after, with the aliens, er... boring and crap. And the final one with the guys at Halloween was really cool, but I found it more funny than scary.

I'd like to see something like this again, but from better or different directors. Maybe even famous ones. To be VHS is a pilot, a proof of concept. I'm interested and want to see where they take this idea.

6/10

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• Blotto 4 Mar 2013 00:59:51 2,707 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hunger Games

Genuinely not bad at all. Last half hour or so drags and it was as schmaltzy as I thought it was going to be in the first and last 15/20 minutes but the rest of it was far grittier than I was expecting. Sort of felt like an episode of Black Mirror, hollywood style.

In terms of the sequel.. I don't get it, they've done the Hunger Games now, surely they're not going to be in it twice? Seems like their only option is to focus on the annoying relationships and the "lets overthrow the government" aspects rather than the games themselves, the thing that made this movie good. Probably going to have to give that a miss

7/10

Edited by Blotto at 01:00:30 04-03-2013
  • Deleted user 4 March 2013 01:06:54
    DREDD

fucking awesome / 10
  • RyanDS 4 Mar 2013 07:15:12 9,052 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    RyanDS wrote:
    War Games.

just finished Ready Player One and feeling nostalgic.

It was actually rather good and has inspired me to watch the Lost Boys and Breakfast club next. Hell I might even watch Rad!

9/10
    Hang on, you'd never seen it?!
    Not for twenty years
  • craigy Staff 4 Mar 2013 09:12:39 7,496 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cloud Atlas: 4/10

It's quite an impressive film in terms of scope/logistics, and it has a really neat concept, but I couldn't get into it. The stop-start flip-flopping between characters and timelines kept killing the momentum, which eventually made me lose interest.
  • CharlieStCloud 4 Mar 2013 09:20:02 5,017 posts
    Seen 33 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    Cloud Atlas: 4/10

It's quite an impressive film in terms of scope/logistics, and it has a really neat concept, but I couldn't get into it. The stop-start flip-flopping between characters and timelines kept killing the momentum, which eventually made me lose interest.
    Seems to me that it is a real marmite film.

I know two totally different friends who are genuinely saying it's the best film they have seen for yonks and is a visual tour de force yet my Uncle and his book club friends, who had read the book in their group, were not overly impressed.

... 172 minutes long too!
  • Deckard1 4 Mar 2013 09:20:28 27,069 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Stoker

First english language film by Oldboy director Jan Poo Nook and its a strange one. Beautifully filmed and some good performances, especially from the guy out of Watchmen with the face. Lets call him Paul..... Face. I'd never actually heard of this until I saw an advert for it on the TV, and going from the fact there was on 8 other people in the cinema, I don't think anyone else has either. Still I enjoyed it - very weird and interesting.

8/10
  • LeoliansBro 4 Mar 2013 09:23:19 43,168 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dare you to Love Me (Jeux d'Enfants). 7/10, very odd film but nonetheless very good. Two children forge a friendship around a game of dares that continues into adulthood and defines their relationship and eventually their lives. Beautifully shot and some wonderful surreal set pieces that could have come straight from Terrgy Gillliam, but also rather confusing and even incoherent. It would have helped if the main characters were likeable as well, instead we were treated to how damaged they are and what effect this has on everyone around them.

So, a light comedy that was pretty heavy and not really funny. There will be people out there who love this, but I didn't quite get there.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Spanky 4 Mar 2013 09:26:40 14,458 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    V/H/S
    I'd like to see something like this again.
    6/10
    There's quite a lot of portmanteau horrors around, Trick 'R Treat was okay but of course I know the one you really wanna see is Snoop Dogg's Hood of Horror.

Oldies are best btw, Dead of Night, Creepshow, Monsterclub, Vault of Horror, Tales from the Crypt etc

Plubs

• craigy Staff 4 Mar 2013 09:45:29 7,496 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @LeoliansBro aaah man, I remember Jeux d'Enfants. It's really quite good!
  • craigy Staff 4 Mar 2013 09:47:47 7,496 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @CharlieStCloud mmm, the other half has read the book and was a upset with how the film was pieced together. She tells me they have a completely different structure, to the detriment of the film.
  • kalel 4 Mar 2013 09:50:52 86,259 posts
    Seen 58 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've not seen the film, but I find all of David Mitchell's books a bit difficult to engage with due to the stop/start thing you mention. Every time I've got my head round a scenario and started to engage with the characters, it's onto the next bit and I have to start again. He's an amazing author and Number9Dream is one of my favourite books of all time, but his books are hard work.

I don't think Cloud Atlas is his best at all, and only seems to be so popular because Richard and Judy went spastic for it. Odd choice to make a film of it, but I'm curious to see it.
  • Blakester 4 Mar 2013 09:56:36 3,567 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Take This Waltz

Irritating, shocking, thoughtful, melancholy and memorable...in that order.

I was tempted to switch off after 20 minutes because Michelle Williams and Seth Rogan play quite possibly the most twee and therefore detestable couple in movie history.

Thankfully I stuck with it and uncovered something of a gem.

It's the story of a married woman who is attracted to the artist who lives across the street and struggles with her feelings for him. It's really a 'is the grass greener?' type of love story but with some fantastic imagery and a plot that doesn't follow the conventional path.

The ending caused something of a heated debate in our house, but not because it was poorly delivered, but because it brought out a range of emotions.

85%

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• Blaketown 4 Mar 2013 10:37:37 4,636 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    John Carter Of Mars 72%
    Not nearly as bad as I was expecting. In fact when you consider it against other big budget effects driven movies of the past decade or more it's a bloody masterpiece.
    Obviously feels a bit Star Wars-ey which is to be expected but, like Star Wars, it's a half decent kids film which takes itself far too seriously in places but has just enough charm to not be a complete waste of your time.
    As good as Star Wars/10

Brap, brap, old chap.

• Gartt 4 Mar 2013 10:48:52 1,734 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Three Extremes is a good anthology if you like that sort of thing.
  • kalel 4 Mar 2013 10:53:27 86,259 posts
    Seen 58 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Argo

I was a bit disappointed to be honest. Was a very predictable and formulaic film and it created tension through extremely obvious and trite means. It was very well made and I enjoyed it, but it's nothing more than a good film, as opposed to the masterpiece some are claiming.

7/10
  • Deckard1 4 Mar 2013 10:54:56 27,069 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah pretty much how I felt about it.
  • S.J.Rogers 4 Mar 2013 11:13:48 3,557 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Blaketown wrote:
    John Carter Of Mars 72%
    Not nearly as bad as I was expecting. In fact when you consider it against other big budget effects driven movies of the past decade or more it's a bloody masterpiece.
    Obviously feels a bit Star Wars-ey which is to be expected but, like Star Wars, it's a half decent kids film which takes itself far too seriously in places but has just enough charm to not be a complete waste of your time.
    As good as Star Wars/10
    Agreed... I thought it was a really nice movie, well shot lots of action and a great cast.

I would go see a second one..!
  • speedofthepuma 4 Mar 2013 11:16:36 13,266 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So would I.

I also agree with Argo being good. But only good.

I've turned off all the avatars and crap, so don't expect me to be impressed by yours.

• Blakester 4 Mar 2013 11:19:26 3,567 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I haven't seen all the oscar nominated films, but for my money Zero Dark Thirty was streets ahead of Argo.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• kalel 4 Mar 2013 11:21:23 86,259 posts
    Seen 58 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It was a bit like The King's Speech for me. Obviously a totally different film, but something about the structure reminded me of it. it's basically the Flashdance formula.
  • RedSparrows 4 Mar 2013 12:03:49 21,980 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I liked The King's Speech, but the way people went nuts for it, it was as though I should have cried out for Harry and St. George or something.
  • Mola_Ram 4 Mar 2013 12:10:43 6,946 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Zero Dark Thirty - 8/10

Good, but not great. I can't really put my finger on what made it "not great", but I didn't come out of the movie thinking "wow, that was awesome". Maybe the tension was lessened because everyone knows how the story ends, something like that.

Also, I couldn't get over how her boss was the guy from Office Space. I kept expecting someone to ask him to fill out a TPS report.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 4 Mar 2013 12:15:39 37,302 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I saw Man On A Ledge on Friday. It was better than I thought it would be, but Sam Worthington cannot act. He spent the entire film just looking mildly annoyed.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• nickthegun 4 Mar 2013 12:17:31 58,782 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How many times did his accent slip before you stopped counting?

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• kalel 4 Mar 2013 12:24:50 86,259 posts
    Seen 58 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    I liked The King's Speech, but the way people went nuts for it, it was as though I should have cried out for Harry and St. George or something.
    Yeah I liked it as well, but again, it was just a fairly standard formulaic flick.

It was also incredibly blatant Oscar bait, to a ludicrous degree. Amazed they couldn't squeeze Judy Dench in there somehow.
  • thedaveeyres 4 Mar 2013 12:32:55 10,684 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just a word of warning to those with little 'uns, my nearly-five year old little girl likes 'scary' movies - her favourite film at the moment is Hotel Transylvania - but ParaNorman scared the living shit out of her and we had to turn it off. Try before you buy.

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• Gruff 4 Mar 2013 13:07:56 2,839 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Silver linings play book 7/10 S'kay, and dunno why she got an Oscar, unless it was for looking hot.

Rust and bone 9/10 Fantastic performances and effects, and one of the best films I have seen in while.

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• evild_edd 4 Mar 2013 13:28:00 3,010 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Yeah I liked it as well, but again, it was just a fairly standard formulaic flick.

It was also incredibly blatant Oscar bait, to a ludicrous degree. Amazed they couldn't squeeze Judy Dench in there somehow.
    Did you not spot her? She was actually wearing a Geoffrey Rush disguise.

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• Page

of 2703 First / Last