Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2145

• Page

of 2808 First / Last

• kalel 26 Feb 2013 14:21:02 88,511 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I actually quite liked it. I thought it was clever the way it combined the first three originals into one, and I liked the little nods. It ticked a lot of classic boxes and didn't get too nasty like other modern horror remakes tend to.

It was pointless, but as a genre film, not terrible.
  • Deckard1 26 Feb 2013 14:22:51 28,765 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah it was alright. Always had a bit of a soft spot for Jason.
  • simsini 26 Feb 2013 14:26:22 317 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Song For Marion 6/10 - Watchable, but very predictable.

Lincoln 9/10 - Fantastic performance from Daniel Day Lewis, deserved Oscar.

The Impossible 9/10 - Brilliant special effects and great performances from Naomi Watts and even more so from Tom Holland.

Werck It Ralph 8/10 - Lots of in-jokes and a good story. Easily better than Brave which won an Oscar.
  • ronuds 26 Feb 2013 14:27:29 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @kalel - I thought it was pretty good too. It's not as if the originals were some great masterpieces of film. It was a guy in a hockey mask randomly killing people then too.

Unfortunately, it's been done to death so much that any modern version is just going to look like a ripoff of everything else.
  • pistol 26 Feb 2013 15:53:26 13,019 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    The Muppets

When I was a kid, The Muppet Show was the absolute highlight of my week. It was the only thing on TV that my whole family (I have three older brothers) would all willingly watch together and we would all laugh our hearts out. As such, it has very special memories for me.

I've never been a massive fan of the modern Muppet movies (love the original three but didn't like Christmas Carol or any of the following ones) as I felt they somehow lost touch with what the Muppets had originally been about, and while they were funny and charming enough, they didn't do it for me.

This however is a film for fans of The Muppet Show itself. It is nothing but a love letter to the series, and written specifically for people like me. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed it. It tapped into my nostalgia for the show right from the first second, and I will admit it choked me up several times. I can't honestly say it's a good movie in itself because I was too swept up to see it in those terms, but if you loved the Muppet Show, you will LOVE this.

10/10
    I also liked it and for the same reasons as you. Some things just have a knack or bringing back great memories.
  • glaeken 26 Feb 2013 15:58:46 11,228 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Surely Song for Marion is clearly this year’s Notting hill, The Full Monty, Four Weddings and a Funeral etc. I can spot those films a mile off. You know the ones that get more praise then they deserve due to them being British when their main attribute is they are not entirely terrible.

I avoid that genre of film like the plague. The genre being this year’s touching British film that gets heaps of praise due to being British and not completely woeful.

Edited by glaeken at 15:59:22 26-02-2013
  • PlasticViking 26 Feb 2013 16:03:37 1 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Il Divo - 6/10

Not 100% what was going on, but I think I got the gist.
  • Deckard1 26 Feb 2013 16:05:14 28,765 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah the mash up of pop and opera had me a little confused at first, but I think it works.
  • Deleted user 26 February 2013 16:08:13
    Meeks Cutoff

A film about settlers moving west in 1850 America. A tough watch, but really rewarding.
    Three families entrust a man to take them across the plains as he proclaims he knows a shortcut, sharpish, things start to turn sour as hunger and lack of water start to take hold. They are lost. As they continue their journey, they cross an indian - who do they put there trust in? The unrealiable american 'cowboy' or the known enemy. As they continue its evident the group starts to tear itself apart. Its a really rewarding film.

Its slow paced, and the camera is often static. Its shot in 1:33 and quite claustaphobic. It kind of makes the western conventions quite warped.

Worth it, if you want to watch it. It won't be for everyone, its slow, bleak, and opressing, but i liked it alot.

8/10
  • Ranger_Ryu 26 Feb 2013 16:31:00 1,077 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bleach:Hell Verse

The 4th Bleach movie opens up kinda the same as the anime series,with High School student and Deputy Soul Reaper Ichigo Kurosaki (voiced by Johnny Yong Bosch) beating up a gang over a knocked down vase that was for a kid who died. Later on Soul Reapers Rukia and Renji (voiced by Michelle Ruff and Wally Wingert)arrive and this leads into a journey to the very depths of hell itself where not even Soul Reapers have full authority there (although they do oversee it)

If you're expecting a good plot and characterisation...............look elsewhere! :p this is just really for Bleach fans but I quite liked it, good fights and visuals of hell

8.5/10
  • -cerberus- 26 Feb 2013 17:06:24 3,191 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Crow (blu ray)

Still one of my favourite movies of all-time. Dark & brooding atmosphere, beautifully shot, quite violent, excellent soundtrack. Some bits of dialogue are more cringeworthy than I remember...

Not very happy with the blu ray's picture quality though, lots of noise and shadows fall flat.

8.5/10

Take the plastic bag challenge to cure stupidity.

• neems 26 Feb 2013 18:08:31 1,347 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I don't know if they re-released it at all, but I believe The Crow was a very early BD release, and they didn't actually use an HD master - just upscaled a DVD supposedly.

EDIT Ah, apparently the original Uk release was MPEG2 and interlaced. It looks like there's been a more recent version.

Edited by neems at 18:14:17 26-02-2013
  • -cerberus- 26 Feb 2013 18:14:01 3,191 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @neems Damn it. I should've known better. This is the one I bought (ordered it from The Hut though).

• neems 26 Feb 2013 18:16:46 1,347 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    -cerberus- wrote:
    @neems Damn it. I should've known better. This is the one I bought (ordered it from The Hut though).
    Yup that's the one - 1080i MPEG 2. http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews55/the_crow_blu-ray.htm
  • -cerberus- 26 Feb 2013 19:08:45 3,191 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @neems Ugh... What a waste of money. Any other reliable blu ray review websites I could base my purchases on?

• TechnoHippy 26 Feb 2013 19:37:29 14,719 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

Pretty good, it's reasonably slow paced, but works. Worth a watch, but don't expect a western in the usual sense.

7/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• neems 26 Feb 2013 19:40:58 1,347 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    -cerberus- wrote:
    @neems Ugh... What a waste of money. Any other reliable blu ray review websites I could base my purchases on?
    I mostly just look at Bluray.com, I have no idea if they are reputable or not. The main problem is making sure that you are looking at a review for the UK version.

I think there is some sort of AV forum that is generally regarded as being the best place to go - I'm sure somebody on here will know more about it than me, but I'll see if I can dig it up.
  • Trowel 26 Feb 2013 19:41:02 17,929 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Raising Arizona - 6/10

Aged badly, plays out more like a half hour sitcom. Nick Cage looks great though.
  • Deleted user 26 February 2013 19:47:36
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

Pretty good, it's reasonably slow paced, but works. Worth a watch, but don't expect a western in the usual sense.

7/10
    i really really enjoyed this film. I thought it was top notch stuff. The soundtrack is amazing. Listen to it on a regular basis.
  • -cerberus- 26 Feb 2013 19:54:05 3,191 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    neems wrote: The main problem is making sure that you are looking at a review for the UK version.
    Which, admittedly, is something I unintentionally overlook quite often. I usually consult HighDefDigest and assume that most UK releases are the same...

Edited by -cerberus- at 19:56:28 26-02-2013

• HarryPalmer 27 Feb 2013 09:57:21 3,428 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cloud Atlas - 6/10

Batshit crazy. I've read the book (and enjoyed it) and I barely had a clue what was going on, I suspect that if you have not read it you will be utterly bemused.

I can't recall a film having such a blasé attitude towards gender, race and age. Some of the make-up is truly dreadful. But it is not taking itself seriously at all, which I think is the right approach.

I enjoyed it, but it makes zero sense, and if anything, highlights the many shortcomings of the book. I also think casting actors in multiple roles was a mistake. It rattles along, but is too long, and the constant shifting means that there isn't a great deal of emotionally weight.

The Ben Whishaw sections are the best, he is a class act.

Edited by HarryPalmer at 09:57:34 27-02-2013
  • PrivateFloyd 27 Feb 2013 10:48:49 4,182 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Django Unchained

Il keep it brief.

Absolutely loved it. Every minute of it. So many stand out performances (with the exception cruelly of Jamie Foxx aka Django, felt a tad wooden). Samuel L Jackson, Leo DiCaprio (the scene with the skull wowzers) but hats off to Mr. Waltz. A performance well deserved of the Oscar. I literally cannot take my eyes of him much like in Inglorious Basterds.

I don't really get the criticism regarding the final 30 minutes, I found the whole film well paced.

I know there has also been polarising opinions of the music. I thought it was excellent. One moment in particular when the hip hop song comes on as Django is riding next to the slaves on the way to Candyland. I thought it was a master stroke and did illicit a stupid grin on my face. Such is the talent of QT that he can put a song from an entirely different era and still give it relevance.

Enough gushing.

10/10 and I may go see it again.

Oh and the biggest laugh for me was the end when Django told the woman slave to say goodbye to Miss Candy then the over the top gun shot sends her through the door. Awesome.

Goat is hungry.....

• Ziz0u 27 Feb 2013 10:56:54 8,514 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I thought Jamie Foxx was good.
  • Deleted user 27 February 2013 11:01:13
    PrivateFloyd wrote:
    Django Unchained

Il keep it brief.

Absolutely loved it. Every minute of it. So many stand out performances (with the exception cruelly of Jamie Foxx aka Django, felt a tad wooden). Samuel L Jackson, Leo DiCaprio (the scene with the skull wowzers) but hats off to Mr. Waltz. A performance well deserved of the Oscar. I literally cannot take my eyes of him much like in Inglorious Basterds.

I don't really get the criticism regarding the final 30 minutes, I found the whole film well paced.

I know there has also been polarising opinions of the music. I thought it was excellent. One moment in particular when the hip hop song comes on as Django is riding next to the slaves on the way to Candyland. I thought it was a master stroke and did illicit a stupid grin on my face. Such is the talent of QT that he can put a song from an entirely different era and still give it relevance.

Enough gushing.

10/10 and I may go see it again.

Oh and the biggest laugh for me was the end when Django told the woman slave to say goodbye to Miss Candy then the over the top gun shot sends her through the door. Awesome.
    With the ending, it didn't really add to the what should have been the final bit. I just felt, it was there for QT to have a frankly rubbish cameo. The house ending would have been perfect. After spending a good chunk of the film in the house, it was bubbling and bubbling leading up to that fantastic scene. They could have easily wrapped it up there with a couple of extra lines and shots.

Instead we got 10 minutes of rubbish australian accents and nothing that added to the overall story. Not what i remember anyway.

Doesn't distract it from being a very good film. Just if i was QT, that last bit would have gone.

Edited by binky at 12:10:48 27-02-2013
  • PrivateFloyd 27 Feb 2013 11:15:09 4,182 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @joelstinton

Yeah I had kind of forgotten about QT's cameo actually, can see what you mean. At least it meant we got to see more Sam L Jackson though!

When he is first introduced at the house I proper LOL'd at his reaction to Django being on the horse.

Edited by binky at 12:11:46 27-02-2013

Goat is hungry.....

• PrivateFloyd 27 Feb 2013 11:16:43 4,182 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @ZizouFC

I just didn't see it. He wasn't bad, maybe its just that those around him (for me) really excelled in their parts.

The performance for some reason reminded me of Ryan Gosling's character in Drive but I have no idea why.

Goat is hungry.....

• Tonka 27 Feb 2013 11:18:54 20,883 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nonononono

It's the pivotal scene in the entire film. The one where Django becomes Christopher Waltz. And the one which reveals the latter for the cheap as nickel and dimer he was through the entire film up until his moment of redemption over the symbolically laden skull. (Nice nod to Eisenstien there Quent!)

Edited by binky at 12:11:07 27-02-2013

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• monkman76 27 Feb 2013 11:38:55 4,823 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Feckin SPOILERS people
  • spindle9988 27 Feb 2013 11:44:49 3,629 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Im so glad I have seen Django already, because I would of been pissed
  • kentmonkey 27 Feb 2013 11:48:07 20,799 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thank you for spoiling the film for those of us who haven't had a chance to see it yet.

If only there were spoiler tags people could use. Oh, if only.
  • Page

of 2808 First / Last