Registered 10 years ago
    Killing them Softly
    2/10

Yawn.
  • Madder-Max 25 Feb 2013 07:35:33 11,660 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Afaik it was remade so Sony could stop the Spiderman rights from going to another company.
    Be that as it may ( and thanks, didn't know that :o) its s superior version.

99 problems and being ginger is one

• evild_edd 25 Feb 2013 07:40:45 3,145 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Borat

Unbelievably I'd never got round to seeing this before last night. One of those films where I was already annoyed by the film because of mates (over) quoting certain scenes, and so had put it off till now.

Funnier than I'd feared but also less cringe inducing than expected. Was far more scripted and narrative driven than I'd imagined as well - I'd anticipated it basically being a series of sketches but there was a very loose plot tying the whole thing together.

Don't ever need to see it again, but it was worth the first watch.

7/10

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• Mola_Ram 25 Feb 2013 07:55:08 7,699 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Madder-Max wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Afaik it was remade so Sony could stop the Spiderman rights from going to another company.
    Be that as it may ( and thanks, didn't know that :o) its s superior version.
    I don't know of a single person who would agree with that, but ok.
  • Gambit1977 25 Feb 2013 08:00:38 10,195 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Mola_Ram I do. But I still don't think it's great. There is still a good Spider-Man film out there waiting to be made. Raimi's were dull, short on action or character and so badly cast.
  • King_Edward 25 Feb 2013 08:20:57 11,454 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I much prefered the new Spiderman film to the Raimi ones.
  • Mola_Ram 25 Feb 2013 08:27:06 7,699 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ok then! I loved the Raimi ones. Particularly 2. 3 not so much.
  • LeoliansBro 25 Feb 2013 08:54:21 44,508 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So I wake up this morning to find that Django Unchained is Oscar-winning.

Odd. It feels like the industry had a need to recognise Tarantino which they missed out on back in the day and which has since been building up while he made unawardable films and misfires, and now he's made a good film they can give him something without looking ridiculous.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Jono62 25 Feb 2013 08:59:17 14,199 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Paperman won best animated short film. Good stuff.
  • Tonka 25 Feb 2013 09:05:25 20,809 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is that the one where Disney invents Cell shading?

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• RobAnybody 25 Feb 2013 09:06:26 924 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    Paperman won best animated short film. Good stuff.
    Well deserved.

i have no idea how Brave managed to get the award for Best Animated Feature Film of the Year - although maybe it's because of the weak competition.
  • mal 25 Feb 2013 09:08:05 22,710 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ISTR Inglorious Bastids (or however you're meant to spell it) reviewed pretty well. Not seen it (or Django Unchained) myself yet though.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Deckard1 25 Feb 2013 09:08:12 28,748 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I watched Argo last night strangely enough. Thought it was pretty good - a solid 8/10. Thought it was pretty dull until the final third, but the final third is so well done that it makes up for the preceding dullness. J Lo's ex is turning into a very good film maker. Seems strange he wasn't nominated last night.
  • Ultrasoundwave 25 Feb 2013 09:15:15 3,339 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Madder-Max wrote:
    The amazing spiderman. 8/10

Really enjoyed it. Great cast. If you haven't seen it and wonder why this was remade so soon then please watch it and u will see why.
    I enjoyed it, my only problem was them making some unnecessary changes to try and be different from the original movies : the whole "death of uncle ben" sequence being the worst culprit. I have absolutely no idea why they changed it.

Definitely a lot of positives though : Garfield is light-years ahead of Maguire, both as Peter Parker and Spidey. The CGI was also miles ahead of the original trilogy, they actually brought Spider-man to life very convincingly.

Was great to see a couple of Lizard/Spidey fights too, especially the one in the school, which also brought the films biggest laugh (Stan Lee).

Its a good start to a new trilogy. Looking at the sequel, i'm very curious to see Jamie Foxx as Electro, i think that could work brilliantly. However, casting Paul Giamatti as The Rhino is very odd, will be interesting to see how they make that work!

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• kalel 25 Feb 2013 09:16:03 88,451 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    So I wake up this morning to find that Django Unchained is Oscar-winning.

Odd. It feels like the industry had a need to recognise Tarantino which they missed out on back in the day and which has since been building up while he made unawardable films and misfires, and now he's made a good film they can give him something without looking ridiculous.
    Hmmm, Pulp Fiction was pretty well recognised at the Oscars. Nominated for all the majors ones pretty much (two for best actor) and won screenplay (the same one Django won in fact).
  • LeoliansBro 25 Feb 2013 09:19:36 44,508 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's Christoph Waltz that surprised me - it struck me as a vote for his performance in Django and in Inglorious Basterds. Or at least a vote for his performance in Django given how different he was in the earlier film.

And of course Django Unchained is nowhere near as accomplished as Pulp Fiction.

• kalel 25 Feb 2013 09:22:39 88,451 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    He did win the Oscar for Inglorious Basterds as well though.
  • LeoliansBro 25 Feb 2013 09:23:32 44,508 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So he did! Complete brain fart, I'll go get some coffee and try again.

• nickthegun 25 Feb 2013 09:23:35 60,496 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought Spider-Man was soulless garbage, the very definition of a film by committee. The villain was shit, the CGI wasnt brilliant, Peter Parker was a gimpy stalker and everything that involved gwen stacy felt forced and rushed.

That said, I watched Spider-Man 3 last month and that is just horiffic. I know its played for laughs, but Parkers descent into butch lesbianism are 20 of the most arse clenching minutes in cinema history.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Deckard1 25 Feb 2013 09:26:28 28,748 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah the new spider-man was fucking awful. The only thing it had going for it was that Garfield makes a pretty good spider-man. Whoever thought it was a good idea to have a fucking goomba as the villain shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a movie set ever again.
  • nickthegun 25 Feb 2013 09:29:56 60,496 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Garfield has a face that makes him look like hes gurning all the time.

He also gets great lift on his hair for saying hes wearing a gimp mask all the time. I only have to look at a hat and my hair rearranges itself into a 'sex pest' configuration.

• kalel 25 Feb 2013 09:30:19 88,451 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    So he did! Complete brain fart, I'll go get some coffee and try again.
    :)
  • kalel 25 Feb 2013 09:37:39 88,451 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Muppets

When I was a kid, The Muppet Show was the absolute highlight of my week. It was the only thing on TV that my whole family (I have three older brothers) would all willingly watch together and we would all laugh our hearts out. As such, it has very special memories for me.

I've never been a massive fan of the modern Muppet movies (love the original three but didn't like Christmas Carol or any of the following ones) as I felt they somehow lost touch with what the Muppets had originally been about, and while they were funny and charming enough, they didn't do it for me.

This however is a film for fans of The Muppet Show itself. It is nothing but a love letter to the series, and written specifically for people like me. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed it. It tapped into my nostalgia for the show right from the first second, and I will admit it choked me up several times. I can't honestly say it's a good movie in itself because I was too swept up to see it in those terms, but if you loved the Muppet Show, you will LOVE this.

10/10
  • nickthegun 25 Feb 2013 09:39:30 60,496 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is that the one with the How I met Your Mother guy?

• kalel 25 Feb 2013 09:46:02 88,451 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yes, he wrote and produced it as well. The whole thing was his idea and was pitched by him to Disney. Hence the whole love letter to The Muppet Show angle.
  • kalel 25 Feb 2013 09:48:10 88,451 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Also the songs are written by the Flight of the Conchords guy and are also great.
  • nickthegun 25 Feb 2013 09:50:54 60,496 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They were pushing it really hard when we went to dineyland which made it belatedly click that the muppets are owned by disney now.

Its funny that I never realised by now such was their lack of doing anything with the property.

• glaeken 25 Feb 2013 09:52:33 11,223 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Darkest Hour - 7/10 - A nice take on an Alien invasion with some quite imaginative aliens. It's also set in Moscow which makes it a little different.

It has a terrible rating on IMDB which is a little weird. I honestly thought it was a perfectly enjoyable B movie with some quite cool idea's. Not sure where all the hate comes from.

Edited by glaeken at 09:55:46 25-02-2013
  • kalel 25 Feb 2013 09:54:28 88,451 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    They were pushing it really hard when we went to dineyland which made it belatedly click that the muppets are owned by disney now.

Its funny that I never realised by now such was their lack of doing anything with the property.
    They've been Disney for an age. Christmas Carol was the first thing Disney did with the property. They've been gradually killing the formula ever since.

Struck gold now though. Sequel to this one is on the way with Ricky Gervais heavily involved this time.
  • nickthegun 25 Feb 2013 09:59:43 60,496 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think that was a co-production. Disney bought them lock stock in 2004.

• Page

of 2801 First / Last