Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2109

• Page

of 2705 First / Last

• disusedgenius 10 Feb 2013 13:50:45 5,210 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Django Unchained - 8/10

A little indulgent, but despite being a bit too long I didn't actually find myself not enjoying it for any great period so I can't say I minded it. It's certainly an interesting one though, a really odd mix of violence for pleasure and violence for displeasure. I could see me giving it a better score on a second viewing.
  • -cerberus- 10 Feb 2013 14:34:29 2,420 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Aargh. wrote: Well done for completely missing the point. Why bother offering an opinion of a film after fast forwarding through 90% of it?
    I didn't. I watched the whole thing and give it a 6 a few pages back.

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• beastmaster 10 Feb 2013 14:43:00 11,171 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    -cerberus- wrote:
    Aargh. wrote: Well done for completely missing the point. Why bother offering an opinion of a film after fast forwarding through 90% of it?
    I didn't. I watched the whole thing and give it a 6 a few pages back.
    I think he was referring to me. I did a fast forward on the final gunfight. That was all. I didn't say I'd gone through 90%.

At first I was watching it as normal and then I had ended up on my iPad with the TV screen still in full view and the film running at normal speed. I did put in down a couple of times when the film caught my attention.

What the hell does it matter anyway? If it would have clicked with me I would have sat there riveted. All my reviews are just what I though of it. If someone doesn't like Die Hard, Dredd or Kill List then it doesn't bother me in the slightest. They are not wrong or "cockbags".

Edited by beastmaster at 14:45:05 10-02-2013

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• -cerberus- 10 Feb 2013 14:56:02 2,420 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Felon

This was really something! Didn't think I'd enjoy it at first as I'm not a big fan of Stephen Dorph or Val Kilmer, but I'm glad I gave it a chance. Very tense, wonderful performances, fairly unpredictable story. One of the best prison drama's I've seen in a while. Highly recommended!

8,5/10

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• Bremenacht 10 Feb 2013 15:08:13 17,613 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Battleship Potemkin

Sound was shit and it was in black and white so I couldn't see the colour - a sensible director would have filmed in colour.

1/10

Life of Pi

Haven't seen it so...

0/10

I kid, I kid.. :)
  • craigy Staff 10 Feb 2013 15:08:14 7,521 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Killing Them Softly: 4/10

Noir-ish and stylised thriller about a pair of guys who take down a card game. The whole thing is a metaphor for the recent financial collapse. The sauce is weak, and the metaphor is both nonsensical and heavy-handed. If you want to see a great film about the financial crisis, watch Margin Call instead.
  • Tom_Servo 10 Feb 2013 15:09:42 17,319 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Descendants - 5/10

Really rather boring. I like George Clooney, and I really wanted this to be good because it was co-written by the guy who plays the Dean in Community, but I really felt this wasn't worth watching.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 10 Feb 2013 15:44:44 37,337 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I watched Ted on Friday night. If you don't like/hate Family Guy then avoid because it's exactly that kind of humour with it being a Seth McFarlane product. Personally I enjoyed it even though some of the jokes completely missed but I did find the weed batch names strangely hilarious - "Mind Rape", "Gorilla Panic", "They're Coming, They're Coming" and "This is Permanent". Plus Mila Kunis is amazing to look at so I rate this...

Talking Plush Toy/10

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 10 Feb 2013 15:45:31 37,337 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh and I absolutely need to watch Flash Gordon again.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• CosmicFuzz 10 Feb 2013 15:59:36 23,189 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I love the bit when he's driving to the party and the camera keeps jump zooming in on his face in time with the music :-D

I love Ted.

Looking for a new gaming podcast to listen to? LOOK NO FURTHER!

• Oh-Bollox 10 Feb 2013 17:03:10 5,158 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    Killing Them Softly: 4/10

Noir-ish and stylised thriller about a pair of guys who take down a card game. The whole thing is a metaphor for the recent financial collapse. The sauce is weak, and the metaphor is both nonsensical and heavy-handed. If you want to see a great film about the financial crisis, watch Margin Call instead.
    Still can't understand why they did that. The book, Cogan's Trade, was written in the 60s or 70s. Why stuff in the financial crisis shite?
  • alexm 10 Feb 2013 17:32:53 246 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The Departed

Brilliant and for such a long film you don't go away wishing 10 minutes were cut here or there. I really don't understand why anyone would rate the original (Infernal Affairs) above this as after watching both twice now it feels inferior in everyway (apart from maybe being set in a cooler place. Anyone disagree? 9/10

Wreck It Ralph

Fantastic opening but as soon as it goes into the Hero's Duty/Mario Kart worlds it goes rapidly downhill before picking up slightly at the end. Really feels like a missed opportunity - I came away feeling I'd watched a kids film and not a 'family' film - which is odd given the older demographic of proper gamers who would watch this. 5.5

The Road

Loved the book but seeing the story depicted in a film made it feel a lot grimmer. That bit with the humans trapped in the cellar made my skin crawl. I don't think I'm manly enough to watch these things. Bleak/10

Midnight in Paris

Watched it for the second time and now think it's right up there with his very best. I don't think I've seen a film which has managed to be so sentimental without ever verging on being cheesy. 9/10
  • Kostabi 10 Feb 2013 17:36:19 4,874 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Apocalypto - 9/10

First time I've watched it and loved it from start to finish. For a film with hardly any lines of dialogue it rattled along at a decent pace with no real lulls which was a pleasant surprise.
  • CharlieStCloud 10 Feb 2013 17:45:03 5,054 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    alexm wrote:
    The Departed

I really don't understand why anyone would rate the original (Infernal Affairs) above this as after watching both twice now it feels inferior in everyway (apart from maybe being set in a cooler place. Anyone disagree?
    Internal Affairs is what, one hundred minutes long?

... much more stylist, fast paced and most importantly, the end was shocking.

How did The Departed go on to win the best picture (?) and best director at the Golden Globes when Infernal Affairs was never even nominated for the foreign film award?

Nah, it just really runs me up the wrong way.

Whilst I wholeheartedly disagree with your words regarding The Departed and Infernal Affairs, I do however stand by your side with Midnight in Paris ... I'd go as far as saying that it is one of Woody Allen's best film. The whole tale was a joy.

Edited by CharlieStCloud at 17:46:07 10-02-2013
  • Megapocalypse 10 Feb 2013 17:55:42 5,312 posts
    Seen 54 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Django (1966) - 7/10
    Fun violent western. Dubbing seemed terrible at first but I got used to it pretty quickly and just seemed to add to the fun.
  • Locky 10 Feb 2013 18:15:14 583 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cloud Atlas 6/10
    Hmm, not sure about this one! It was very complicated and I'm not sure I really understood it all. I've got a headache now!

I'm watching it again tomorrow so will have to see if things become clearer!
  • werewolf_poo 10 Feb 2013 18:21:25 136 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    In order of last to first, watched Fargo last night.

Fargo 9/10

Very good, would have been an 8 if it weren't for Buscemi I feel.

Childs Play 6/10

Believe it or not I have never seen a childs play movie. My GF said I had to see it as it was a horror classic! Not so sure but very watchable. Quite funny by todays standards but I can see how it would have been a scary prospect at the time of release. BTW I don't consider 6/10 a bad score, above average

DeathProof 8/10

A little strange for the first 40mins but like most of Tarantino' work, I think thats why I like it. Kurt played it well I have to say

Django 9/10

Want to give it a 10 but I think very few films deserve a 10/10 so might have to get it on BluRay before I make that decision. I'm very aware that i'm strange :)

Edited by werewolf_poo at 18:31:34 10-02-2013
  • beastmaster 10 Feb 2013 18:29:14 11,171 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Resident Evil: Retribution

Let's try no scores at all from now on.

The first thing you notice about this film when it starts is the utterly stunning picture and sounds quality. When you've got blu-ray.com reviewing this and saying it's not only reference quality, it's the best looking/sounding blu-ray in the history of the format, that's quite some praise. It really is that good. The fight sequence in the snow is the highlight in terms of picture and sound quality.

As far as the Resident Evil films go, I'm one of the reasons why they keep making them. Up until now, they've been guilty pleasures although the third Mad Max type one was bad. This one is by far and away the worst of them all.

In case you've not seen any of the other films, they're all explained at the start. It then kind of sets itself up as a video game with different levels and boss battles. This is also explained in case you don't know what the fuck is going on.

One way to describe this film is 90 minutes of gunfire. The film is just a constant barrage of gunfights as Mila and gang progress through the levels in a number of set pieces. None of them are particularly good. A car chase through Moscow is the best of a bad bunch.

The fight sequences are dull and uninteresting. The choreography is just bland and it's always the same old stupid music when they kick in. I don't there's anything in here that they've not done previously. However, in all the other films there were scenes that broke up the action sequences and (in their own way) moved the plot forward and at least tried to do something with the characters. There's none of that in this film.

It is just 90 minutes of constant gunfire and this becomes boring very quickly. But my god, the picture and sound is absolutely outstanding!

Edited by beastmaster at 18:33:19 10-02-2013

• Deckard1 10 Feb 2013 18:33:43 27,143 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Resident Evil movies: I'm one of the reasons why they keep making them.

You should have that as you signature.
  • beastmaster 10 Feb 2013 18:36:17 11,171 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Resident Evil movies: I'm one of the reasons why they keep making them.

You should have that as you signature.
    :)

• werewolf_poo 10 Feb 2013 18:46:21 136 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I haven't seen the latest Resi but I thought the sounds from the Resi films were actually quite good. Some Manson Goth Rock seemed to work.
  • Kostabi 10 Feb 2013 19:27:51 4,874 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The newest Resi is just pure shit. The previous films at least had a fun scene here or there but the only redeeming feature of Retribution is that it ends.
  • oldschoolsoviet 10 Feb 2013 19:33:50 5,457 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @alexm

I don't know why, but The Departed seems like a jumbled mess of scenes, as if they only picked certain bits from IA, and then made shit up for the rest of it. The lil' individual cuts for the stars to ham it up, the car park finale, the forced love triangle, all unnecessary, but most importantly the arc of the character change in Ming/Sullivan is removed entirely, and that's what IA was all about.

So, it's a poorly executed remake, that puts Matt Damon, charmless fucking prick, into what was the important character, and that it doesn't star Chinese Bob Hoskins Eric "Fat Sam" Tsang, so yeah, IA for me every time.
  • jonsaan 10 Feb 2013 19:36:49 25,326 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    I watched Ted on Friday night. If you don't like/hate Family Guy then avoid because it's exactly that kind of humour with it being a Seth McFarlane product. Personally I enjoyed it even though some of the jokes completely missed but I did find the weed batch names strangely hilarious - "Mind Rape", "Gorilla Panic", "They're Coming, They're Coming" and "This is Permanent". Plus Mila Kunis is amazing to look at so I rate this...

Talking Plush Toy/10
    I thought it was excellent. However, I do think that by simply toning it down just a tad it could have been one of the greatest family movies ever. In that respect it's a bit of missed opp.

FCUTA!

• craigy Staff 10 Feb 2013 20:56:19 7,521 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Primer: 6/10

I loved the style of delivery and how it insists that you pay attention and keep up, though I think some plot points escaped me, as it was a little too easy to miss them as they developed. Reading an explanation of the film I definitely didn't fully keep up with what was occurring. As a first directorial effort it's an ambitious piece of work, but one I don't have much enthusiasm for poring over in minute detail.
  • phAge 10 Feb 2013 21:00:36 24,336 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I actually found Primer to be better on the 2nd and 3rd viewings, as things make a lot more sense and you can spot all the little signs as the story unfolds.
  • Bremenacht 10 Feb 2013 22:23:58 17,613 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Is it possible to like both IA and The Departed? I do! I think they're both excellent. It'd be boring if The Departed was just the same.

I do wonder if they'll wrong out a 'Departed 2' in spite of the ending.
  • King_Edward 10 Feb 2013 22:35:32 11,454 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I didn't get on with Infernal Affairs. It felt rushed, like it was trying to cram to much stuff. I'd take the slower more boring Departed every time.

I think a lot of it comes down to which one you see first.

Edited by King_Edward at 22:36:40 10-02-2013
  • FWB 10 Feb 2013 22:39:27 43,806 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Infernal Affairs is much better. And its ending is much better than the Departed which, being Yankee, had to have some positive spin to it all.

Edited by FWB at 23:06:25 10-02-2013
  • Tiiti 10 Feb 2013 22:40:18 497 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Hunger Games - 8/10

Finally got around to fancying a chance with this and I'm actually quite surprised at home much I enjoyed it as a piece of entertainment. The special effects were pretty poor and off putting but that aside I was totally on edge at seeing how this would play out at the end. That to me is a good showing of having interesting and convincing characters with a decent plot.

Looking forward to the next later this year.

Edited by Tiiti at 06:54:33 11-02-2013

Father. Husband. Gamer.
    X360 | XBO | WiiU | iPad4 | iPhone 5
    PC: i7 2600k, GTX 580 Lightning (sli), SSD

• Page

of 2705 First / Last