Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2105

• Page

of 2699 First / Last

• Deleted user 6 February 2013 17:54:06
    Actually, that's basically how the ending of Source Code would have been without the ending afterwards. Source Code is showing exactly what happens to the spinning top afterwards, even though it's fundamentally irrelevant to the story.
  • Chopsen 6 Feb 2013 17:54:26 15,699 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Or was it?
  • Tonka 6 Feb 2013 19:57:09 20,006 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    meme wrote:
    It was ambiguous, but it didn't matter that it was. That's what I mean by faux misdirection. Everyone's like "LOOK AT THE SPINNING TOP" instead of the clear ending of "It doesn't matter, because he's accepted he's happy regardless of the outcome".
    The spinning top was retarded. People thinking Florence is in France is even more so.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• oldschoolsoviet 6 Feb 2013 21:15:45 5,457 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Win Win - 7/10

Enjoyable lil' romp with Giamatti as a forlorn lawyer/wrestling coach who gets involved in becoming the guardian of a pensioner for a few pennies, inherting his wayward grandson, and a recovering addict mother on the fringes.

Grandson turns out to be a former top wrestler, mother starts hankering for the pennies, and everything pans out in it's own peculiar way.

Code 46 - 7/10

Strange, slow-burn (romantic ?) drama set in a totalitarian near-future, with some interesting ideas mixed with a plot that swings from light and flimsy to some very dark concepts. Mr Robbins as his usual charming self holding it together, but the more I think about it, the more weird it gets. Very weird.
  • WrongShui 6 Feb 2013 23:37:31 6,597 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Q The winged Serpent (1982) - 7/10

Fucking madness. Quetzalcoatl is conjured up by some human sacrifices in New York.

I saw the first 45 minutes of this when I was 7 years old, managed to find it by googling random scenes I could remember.

It's absolutely terrible but in an entertaining way.
  • GuiltySpark 7 Feb 2013 01:48:42 6,320 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I can accept TDKR wasn't, but Inception absolutely without any question or debate or matter of opinion, was. It was. Was. WAS.
    I haven't seen it for a while, but we see his kids at the end, right? And from what I remember, they're the same age and wearing the same clothes? In which case, he's dreaming.

So, if we DO see his kids = unambiguous

If we DON'T see his kids = ambiguous, because it's not really definitive

Get bent.

• oldschoolsoviet 7 Feb 2013 01:55:48 5,457 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Black Death - bleak/10

Jesus. So very miserable and barely an amateur hour BBC drama. Marked as 4* in the RT ! HA !
    That's the most entertaining thing I have to say about it. And yes, Sean Bean's ritual habit prevails....
  • TOOTR 7 Feb 2013 03:33:33 9,493 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wreck it Ralph

Really enjoyed this - although it did lose it's way a bit in the middle.

And I wanted even more video game references. Yes. More!

80%

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• mikeck 7 Feb 2013 10:52:12 1,900 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Silver Linings Playbook

This film was never really on my radar, but the amount of people on here that were watching and enjoying it, coupled with the Oscar nods made me intrigued.

Watched it last night with my wife, and we both really enjoyed this.

Bradley Cooper showed some real acting chops (I actually thought he was very good in Limitless too), Jennifer Lawrence was great, and their chemistry was fantastic, really believable. In fact, all the performances were top-notch, and it was refreshing to watch a film and give a shit about every single character.

It was also really great to see De Niro in a serious role, and actually give a 'proper' performance; I actually believed he cared about this role, and it doesn't feel like I've been able to say that about him for a long, long time.

As I'm getting older I'm starting to appreciate happy endings more (I used to want everything to end all doom and gloom, and be 'realistic') and I was really glad this film panned out that way. The final scene where he starts by saying he loves Sundays again made me very happy, I truly cared for the two main characters and really wanted them to be be happy. Maybe it's because of my own fucked up family issues, but it was just really nice to see them all so happy at the end of the film

Perfect/10
  • nickthegun 7 Feb 2013 10:54:12 58,782 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Frankenhooker - Surprisingly funny 6/10

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Deckard1 7 Feb 2013 11:02:55 27,046 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Haha I watched a bit of that last night too. I turned it on for the crack pipe/exploding hookers scene. Was about as awesome as it sounds.
  • -cerberus- 7 Feb 2013 13:08:58 2,402 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Saw some good stuff this week! Mostly Kevin Spacey flicks and I've seen 'em all before but they're definitely worth a rewatch.

Swimming with Sharks

Very interesting portrayal of a yuppie cunt doing whatever it takes to get to the top.

8.5/10

---

Horrible Bosses

Funnier than the first time.

8/10

---

The Ref

Very engaging and unpredictable. Laughed heartily.

8.5/10

---

The Entity

Save for some dated SFX and poor performances, this was a rather creepy and enjoyable ghost flick.

7.5/10

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• Lotos8ter 7 Feb 2013 14:07:33 2,350 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @mikeck - yeah, nice review. I can see why all four main actors have received Oscar nominations for it - great all round performances, but I think the women edge it.
    As for Limitless - loved it until the blood drinking violence. Always thought it needed a slightly stronger script from such a great premise But thats just me.

Edited by Lotos8ter at 14:08:07 07-02-2013

Fiat Lux

• mikeck 7 Feb 2013 14:15:53 1,900 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Lotos8ter Ha, I forgot about that part. Must have blocked it from my mind, still a fairly good film though.
  • Deleted user 7 February 2013 14:18:27
    Murderball - A very fun and uplifting documentary about paraplegic/weelchair rugby following the USA and Candian teams as they prepare for the Athens Oylmpic games.

Often very funny, poignant, and just cool, and enough there to tap into the mind of what it is like to be put in such a position. overally recommended

10/10
  • Blaketown 7 Feb 2013 14:23:07 4,635 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ted 70%
    I laughed a lot. What more can you ask for?

Brap, brap, old chap.

• CharlieStCloud 7 Feb 2013 14:38:01 5,016 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Blaketown wrote:
    Ted 70%
    I laughed a lot. What more can you ask for?
    A sense of humour?
  • Deleted user 7 February 2013 14:54:33
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    I can accept TDKR wasn't, but Inception absolutely without any question or debate or matter of opinion, was. It was. Was. WAS.
    I haven't seen it for a while, but we see his kids at the end, right? And from what I remember, they're the same age and wearing the same clothes? In which case, he's dreaming.

So, if we DO see his kids = unambiguous

If we DON'T see his kids = ambiguous, because it's not really definitive
    No they aren't the same age. They are older by the amount they should be, although that's not very clear just from watching the film.
  • ronuds 7 Feb 2013 15:54:51 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought they were the same kids too.

I didn't enjoy the movie enough to care about the spinning top at the end or what it may have meant. I thought it was little more than a convoluted shootout.
  • Deleted user 7 February 2013 16:00:46
    i really enjoyed inception, probably one of the few films that i really invested in. The talk up to me seeing it was that you had to pay attention so i did that and i loved the journey it took me on.

Perhaps it is a convoluted shootout, but it was a lot of fun and i still think it is one of the best films i have seen in the last few years, especially at the cinema.

Edited by joelstinton at 16:01:23 07-02-2013
  • Megapocalypse 7 Feb 2013 23:05:40 5,307 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Amazing Spiderman - 8/10

Guess I was expecting something terrible after all the criticism but really enjoyed it. Not perfect, but nothing actually bad about it.
  • B0rked_Gamer 8 Feb 2013 07:01:34 2,481 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ip Man vs Japan - 7/10

China gets bodied, Ip Man inspires a revolution and China go on to win World War II.

edit

Got Japan and China mixed up in the header. I thought that Japanese guy looked Japanese... Or was it the Chinese guy looked Japanese.

Never mind they all lo...never mind.

Edited by B0rked_Gamer at 07:48:18 08-02-2013
  • Mola_Ram 8 Feb 2013 07:04:11 6,936 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Those Ip Man movies are hilariously inaccurate.
  • Tonka 8 Feb 2013 07:22:24 20,006 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wierd thing is that there are two Origin stories that differ wildly from each other.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Mola_Ram 8 Feb 2013 07:32:41 6,936 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think they were made by different companies.
  • Blaketown 8 Feb 2013 07:35:46 4,635 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Happens all the time in Hong Kong.

There are two Drunken Master II films. One by the original director with the original old man, and one with Jackie Chan.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• ERG1008 8 Feb 2013 09:33:33 656 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Berberian Sound Studio - 6/10 (at the moment)
    English sound engineer goes to Italy to work on a "Giallo" film.
    I loved the subject and Toby Jones and the authenticity are brilliant but the ending? WTF indeed. There's quite a few conclusions I've been drawing last night and all morning about this (which isn't a bad thing) but I'm still not really sure what happened. Maybe that is the point? Anyone seen this?

Edited by ERG1008 at 09:34:23 08-02-2013
  • Mr_Sleep 8 Feb 2013 10:18:18 16,838 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ERG1008 wrote:
    Berberian Sound Studio - 6/10 (at the moment)
    English sound engineer goes to Italy to work on a "Giallo" film.
    I loved the subject and Toby Jones and the authenticity are brilliant but the ending? WTF indeed. There's quite a few conclusions I've been drawing last night and all morning about this (which isn't a bad thing) but I'm still not really sure what happened. Maybe that is the point? Anyone seen this?
    Yeah, I watched it on release. I absolutely loved it myself. From what I recall a lot of the film is concerned with the barrier between the film staff internally and the barrier between them and the audience. The ending feeds into that.

As someone who studied a certain amount of sound-for-picture it really worked for me, it has to be one of the best post production creations I've ever heard.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Dangerous_Dan 8 Feb 2013 10:46:10 2,378 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Total Recall - 1990

9/10 in the 90s and 8/10 now.
    Some of its atmosphere is missing now. There is quite some reliance for atmosphere on big set pieces which aren't timeless in this case. But over all a great movie and I think one of Arnie's best. Terminator 1 and 2 aged better in my view.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 8 Feb 2013 21:34:43 6,654 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Senna. Moving. 9/10
  • Page

of 2699 First / Last