Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2087

• Page

of 2703 First / Last

• Tom_Servo 27 Jan 2013 18:08:18 17,262 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Haha, I watched the first five minutes of Bunraku yesterday and turned it off. Was obviously going to be a big case of style over substance and the first fight was weirdly wooden. Far too choreographed and the sets made it look like a play.
  • Deleted user 27 January 2013 18:21:31
    The Boondock Saints (1999) 4/10

The reason I watched The Boondock Saints is because it comes as a bonus disc with Overnight, more on that later. The Boondock Saints is best described as ok to average light hearted Irish set in America vigilante story about two guys who get involved with a Russian mob.

William Defoe makes the film. Without William Defoe’s performance, I would have switched off pretty soon. Based on the vibe I was feeling, I knew early on I was in for something not so great. Then again I could not help thinking the whole time about Overnight, a documentary about director Troy Duffy, who, overnight, got a deal with Miramax, to make The Boondock Saints. Troy was a bartender with no directing skills, and someone who had never been to film school.

Interestingly Ron Jeremy gets a part?

The DVD menu screen is shockingly poor. No options other than START. I’m not so fussed about lack of options, but the background image behind the text is piss poor, low resolution, they could have done better. The picture quality of the film is surprising good.

Special FX: The blood could have been better, and the finger more realistic. Maybe it was never supposed to be all that real, given the comic tone at times.

Overnight (2003) 7.5/10

“A documentary on the rise and stumble of Troy Duffy, the bartender-cum-filmmaker who was swept up by Miramax's Harvey Weinstein to turn his script for The Boondock Saints into a feature film.”

To cut a short story shorter, Troy Duffy blows it. Instead of focusing on the task in hand, Troy wants more, his ego goes into overdrive. Miramax's Harvey Weinstein cuts Troy off. Harvey Weinstein has a lot of power in Hollywood. The script is rejected by all. Troy manages to find a company interested. The Boondock Saints gets made at a fraction of the original suggested Miramax budget of 15 million. The film is shown at the Cannes film festival. No one makes an offer. Eventually Indican Pictures picked it up, and the film was shown in 5 cinemas. Troy's film deal did not include Troy as a profit participant in the television, home video, or foreign sales.

Edited by blacksea at 18:37:19 27-01-2013
  • Derblington 27 Jan 2013 18:23:57 21,262 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It still became a cult favourite and got a sequel.
  • Deleted user 27 January 2013 18:29:23
    Derblington wrote:
    Omg, did it need a sequel?
  • beastmaster 27 Jan 2013 18:52:05 11,147 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Blood: The Last Vampire - 4/10

This American adaptation of the Manga hit promises a lot more than it delivers. Some truly awful GCI doesn't help either.

A vampire hunter Saya, who hunts down vampires in post WWII Japan, goes undercover in a school on a US airbase to determine which of the students are vampires.

It doesn't start off too bad. The time and setting of the film make it quite interesting, the action sequences are well choreographed and there's tons of CGI blood.

However as the film progresses and Saya faces her nemesis it starts going into CGI overload. The action sequences are done in a similar way to Crouching Tiger but the total overload of unconvincing CGI just ruins it.

Its all very predictable but its not boring. Just kind of below average. Plenty better films of this ilk out there, so it's not worth watching.

The Season Of The Witch - 2/10

A film so hilariously awful it's probably worth watching. Another Nicholas Cage film where he's totally outclassed and out-acted by his wig.

Plot is simple. Take witch from A to B to stop the plague and try not to get eaten by the spawn of Satan. Or something.

Let's not kid ourselves here, it's all about Cage's wig. It has a breadth of emotion and subtlety that is totally missing from Cage himself and the rest of the film.

His wig is joined on this pointless quest by Hellboy on his week off. The opening fight scenes which cover the many battles just made me snigger. A very poor Lord Of The Rings rip-off as they count how many victims have fallen over laughing at Cage's wig.

The final battle sequence between the wig and giant plastic bat have to be seen to be disbelieved. Utter tosh of the highest order. Again a total overload of tragic CGI.

The film goes have a bit of saving grace in the form of the rather lovely Claire Foy. She's hot.

The Last Stand - 6.5/10

Arnie's back in a bit of a disappointing film which is saved from total mediocrity by some directing flair from South Korean director Jee-woon Kim.

This is Arnie's first headlining film since Terminator 3 way back in 2003. It really shows too. Arnie never was the greatest actor but Arnie looks as though he's struggling to do Arnie. He acting is truly woeful in this. The worst thing is you can really tell he's trying rather than just being naturally awful.

The rest of the cast is much better. Kim has assembled a decent cast and even Johnny Knoxville is pretty funny. Luis Guzmán is brilliant as always.

However, you don't go and see Arnie for the acting. You want to see shit blow up, people getting blown away and some one liners from The Austrian Oak. The good news is that the film pretty much delivers on this. The final 30 mins is superb with a fantastic car chase between a Camaro ZL1 and a Corvette ZR1 through a corn field before the final mano e mano showdown. This is largely down to Jee-woon Kim as he's one of the best directors around.

Flaws aside, it's really good to see Arnie back on the big screen again. He's got terrific screen presence. He'll get better over the next few films so by the time the new Terminator and Conan films hit, he'll be back on top form. A bit slower and creakier but at least he'll be Arnie.

Zero Dark Thirty - 9/10

Brilliant film that focuses on the hunt for Osama bin Laden. Like Homeland? You'll love this film then.

I'd take the opening statement about the story being based on true life accounts with a big pinch of salt. This doesn't matter though as this film is high drama which manages to keep the American jingoism down to a minimum.

The films been nominated for a number of Oscars including best film, best original screenplay and best actress for Jessica Chastain. I still think Argo is better in the first two categories but I think Jessica Chastain will win for best actress. Her performance is totally mesmerising.

Anyone who's a bit sensitive though should be warned. It's a film that doesn't shy away from showing torture on what seems like a very realistic level. Jack Bauer would be proud. There's also a scene with the London bus on 7/7 which is really quite powerful and upsetting.

Yet, if you don't mind this then you're in for a thrilling film. Superb acting, a great script and once the final operation into Pakistan gets underway, it's a tense, gripping affair which will have you on the edge of your seat.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Deleted user 27 January 2013 19:05:51
    The Last Stand - 6.5/10

Arnie's back in a bit of a disappointing film which is saved from total mediocrity by some directing flair from South Korean director Jee-woon Kim.
    looking forward to seeing what is worse, this or slys new one. will enjoy both though.

Edited by joelstinton at 19:06:15 27-01-2013
  • Lukus 27 Jan 2013 19:38:37 18,996 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Last Stand

It wasn't very good. Think made for TV movie standard in terms of the acting and script. Predictable, by the numbers, rubbish bad guy, cliched to hell supporting characters. Completely forgettable.

Watchable.

5/10

Edited by Lukus at 19:39:05 27-01-2013

Edited by Lukus at 19:41:09 27-01-2013

Paintings & Photographs

• jonsaan 27 Jan 2013 19:41:02 25,326 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sounds like my kind of film Lukus! :D

FCUTA!

• Lukus 27 Jan 2013 19:42:26 18,996 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh and Arnie, I'd say in stark contrast to Beasty, has lost all his former screen presence.

Paintings & Photographs

• craigy Staff 27 Jan 2013 19:50:41 7,496 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @captbirdseye DDL was really good, yeah! I couldn't see past Tommy's wig :D
  • altitude2k 27 Jan 2013 20:22:50 3,729 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Expendables 2 - 5/10

Basically Call of Duty, the movie. Hence the score. Reasonably entertaining, but completely throwaway.

I added an extra mark for the brilliance of Schwarzenegger and Willis killing an airport terminal full of henchmen in a Smart car...the promptly removed said mark for their "I'll be back" / "Yipee kiyay" exchange.
  • repairmanjack 27 Jan 2013 23:50:18 5,987 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Imposter 8.5/10

Just fascinating. The audacity of the guy and the easiness with which people accept what's in front of them - and the questions about the family at the end made this far more interesting than most Hollywood thrillers.

The Pact 7/10

An ok-ish chiller with some sense of atmosphere but little in the way of genuine chills. Lake Mungo was far superior, imho. Gorgeous lead actress made up for a lot of short-comings.
  • oldschoolsoviet 28 Jan 2013 00:33:22 5,457 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Sessions - 8/10

Having a thing for Helen Hunt for many a year certainly helped. The script being so damn frank and hilarious at times also helped. All wrapped up with Mr H. Gacy sporting the greatest wig in film history.
  • -cerberus- 28 Jan 2013 02:07:58 2,406 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Legally Blonde

Expected something more clever, along the lines of Election. This was rubbish though.

2/10

---

The Possession

The demon, which is only shown at the very end, is quite creepy. The rest of the movie was laughable schlock.

2.5/10

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• Tonka 28 Jan 2013 06:36:34 20,007 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    And inspired a murder in Sweden

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Deleted user 28 January 2013 08:15:19
    I'm going to watch skyfall tonight, can not wait. I hear good things.

Watched iron lady last night, interesting movie and expertly acted. 7.
  • sirtacos 28 Jan 2013 08:27:02 7,267 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    Brave - 4/10

Felt more like a cheap Disney rip-off than a genuine Pizar film.
    Exactly. Uninspired straight-to-DVD 1990s Disney (with high production values) is all it was.

Edited by sirtacos at 08:50:32 28-01-2013
  • Maturin 28 Jan 2013 08:48:11 2,889 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    I haven't seen Cars 2 yet - I actually really liked the first so will probably give it a go. But I'm expecting that to be aimed at kids, which is why it might be pap (the stupid shitbags have no taste, after all...) but you could tell that Brave just had a very troubled production.
    Cars 2 takes any of the good bits from Cars - and removes them. Focussing mostly on Mater is a terrible idea. And for a film clearly aimed at children the actual plot is way beyond young kids.

My three year old loves it. But only the first half. Once the more detailed plot elements take over he wanders off.

It looks amazing. But they could have done much better with a sequel.
  • kalel 28 Jan 2013 08:51:31 86,259 posts
    Seen 44 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I didn't think Brave was as bad as all that - 4 seems a bit harsh.

It certainly isn't vintage Pixar but it was charming enough, and didn't bore me like Cars did. I think I gave it a 6.
  • Ultrasoundwave 28 Jan 2013 09:00:12 3,264 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Lawless

I enjoyed it for what it was, however it did feel like it was missing something. Acting was excellent all round, Hardy in particular being a highlight. I was surprised that Gary Oldman was pushed as one of the leads in this though, he's not far off only deserving a cameo credit.

I suppose the story/script was the only issue - it told a good story, had an interesting setting and some good characters, but it was missing that element that made it stand out.

Overall, a good film, but not a great one.

7/10

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• DUFFMAN5 28 Jan 2013 09:01:57 14,387 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    I'm going to watch skyfall tonight, can not wait. I hear good things.
    Don't believe the hype...watch it on it's own merits then we will talk ;)

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• sirtacos 28 Jan 2013 09:08:27 7,267 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Gave it a 5.5 or something, not that it matters.

4 is harsh, but considering the quality of Pixar's previous output (Cars notwithstanding), it's ok to be overly critical.

I give Brave more bile than it deserves, but it's hard to see a movie strictly on its own merits. When the producers of said movie are basically Gods of animation, (along with Ghibli) that applies doubly.
  • kalel 28 Jan 2013 09:21:06 86,259 posts
    Seen 44 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Machinist

Thought I hadn't seen this, but turns out I have, and I just didn't remember until I watched it again. That in itself says something...

It was ok. Had a nice tone to it (sort of Hitchcock meets David Lynch) and Bale puts in a hefty performance enhanced by scary weight loss for the role. And yet it was all a bit derivative and done better in films like Memento, Fight Club, American Psycho etc. It was just trying too hard to be all "OOOOOOH I BET YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON DO YOU?? HOW MUCH OF A MINDFUCK IS THIS???" As it happens, it's really not much of a mindfuck at all and the end was massively telegraphed.

6/10
  • Deckard1 28 Jan 2013 09:26:43 27,069 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Django Unchained

I'm a big QT fan so I was looking forward to this, but I can't help but feel a little disappointed with it after the circle jerk its been receiving. Some great scenes but also quite a lot of fluff, and its far too long. There's also too many "why the hell did he do that?" bits. Still I enjoyed it, but I was kind of glad when it was over.

7.5/10
  • kalel 28 Jan 2013 09:30:31 86,259 posts
    Seen 44 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sounds like a review of TDKR.
  • Tuffty 28 Jan 2013 09:32:09 1,500 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Memento

First time seeing this, despite being a fan of Christopher Nolan's work. Completely avoided any details on the story other than the basic premise. Hell I didn't even know that the narrative was told backwards. Great movie but definately seems like one that will need a second viewing to fully appreciate.

8/10
  • glaeken 28 Jan 2013 09:47:01 11,085 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wild Bill - 7/10 - Not quite what I was expecting which is actually a good thing as I was expecting the typical Lock stock mockney type film. It is still pretty mockney though more a drama about someone choosing to sort their life out.

The grey - 7/10 - Liam Neeson battles dire wolves in snow.
  • nickthegun 28 Jan 2013 09:59:31 58,782 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Frenzy: After the flapping about last week over The Birds (hyuck), I thought I would dig out one of my personal favourite Hitchcock movies.

Its such a great film, the hardest of all the Hitchcock movies and the first one to feature nudity and an 18 cert. Its set in a grimey Covent garden and is Hitchcocks first return to England since the 50s (which, to be fair, shows on occasion), so the movie has a real seedy edge to it. The way the story is woven together is masterful and there are one or two real strokes of genius (there is a single, continuous shot of someone exiting a block of flats that, if its not one shot, is perfectly edited).

I know its not the first film that springs to mind when you think of Hitchcock but even outside of his classic period, its still a really good film. Certainly if you haven’t seen it, its well worth a watch.

9/10

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• LeoliansBro 28 Jan 2013 10:03:32 43,167 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, Django Unchained. 9/10.

It's weird, as an exploration of what a normalised slave-based society actually means It's quite shocking. The doll like house slaves made to order, the fighters, the careless cruelty. I think Tarantino has been quite clever here, as one of two things could be happening. He's either exaggerating the truth to emphasise the point, or this is really what such a society is like. If it's the former (and it is going to be the former, this is Tarantino) then anyone who points this out will drop themselves into the 'Holocaust denier' school of historical whitewashing. So he's left looking like he's uncovering the brutal truth, and in a way he is.

SLJ is awesome as well.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Page

of 2703 First / Last