Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2079

• Page

of 2840 First / Last

• oceanmotion 21 Jan 2013 15:19:40 16,082 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Only the odd time, especially that women with the snake. Shockingly dated.
  • kalel 21 Jan 2013 15:19:43 89,175 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, I always thought the whole style of those types of martial arts films (Matrix included) was that they look a bit wire-worky.
  • LeoliansBro 21 Jan 2013 15:20:22 44,723 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon worked as a literal interpretation of all those floaty ninja stories through the lens of anime. I liked the internal consistency that they couldn't change direction in the air, needed something to push off, could be stopped etc.

Matrix is allowed the same leeway as well of course but that wasn't the problem I was referring to. If you look at some of Neo's jumping, especially when he runs up the wall in the dojo, it doesn't follow an arc in the air, it's almost like he's going round a square as he moves, along and then down. This is of course due to the limitations of what they were using, but it's a shame.

He lands like a complete penis in the lobby scene as well. Both feet straight forward, just putting his feet down while his torso is held motionless.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• MetalDog 21 Jan 2013 15:30:09 23,864 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I dunno, LB. I'm sure floaty ninjas could be done in a way that suspended my disbelief better than that did. I never, ever felt like I was watching a person who wasn't on wires during that.

Been a while since I've seen the Matrix, but I'll take your word on some of the wire work being a bit shonky - it's a very hard thing to get right. Even in pure CGI animated sequences people often end up all weighted wrong - caught a bit of Hulk not long ago and switched over in disgust after seeing him flying around looking a) very CGI and b) looking as if he weighed as much as a poodle and no more every time he landed.

Maybe my job has made me hypersensitive to 'shit on screens that doesn't look right' =D

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Mola_Ram 21 Jan 2013 15:30:46 7,958 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I was impressed that CHHD was done with relatively little CG. Say what you want about wire work, but that's really them up there in those bamboo trees.
  • MetalDog 21 Jan 2013 15:32:51 23,864 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You should use what works and do it well. A blending of CGI + real stunts and models seems to work the best, particularly for weighting and lighting.

• Deckard1 21 Jan 2013 15:36:02 29,126 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    A large part of enjoying a martial arts film for me is respecting the skill that went in to the fight scenes. Another reason why I like wire work, and why it will always win out over CGI.

Fish fingers and chips pretty straight forward.

• MetalDog 21 Jan 2013 15:37:32 23,864 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't hate wirework!
    I just don't like shit wirework.

• Deleted user 21 January 2013 15:39:09
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon worked as a literal interpretation of all those floaty ninja stories through the lens of anime. I liked the internal consistency that they couldn't change direction in the air, needed something to push off, could be stopped etc.

Matrix is allowed the same leeway as well of course but that wasn't the problem I was referring to. If you look at some of Neo's jumping, especially when he runs up the wall in the dojo, it doesn't follow an arc in the air, it's almost like he's going round a square as he moves, along and then down. This is of course due to the limitations of what they were using, but it's a shame.

He lands like a complete penis in the lobby scene as well. Both feet straight forward, just putting his feet down while his torso is held motionless.
    The kart wheel bit looks ridicolous now.

I rewatched the matrix a month or so back, and actually alot of the fighting stuff as aged badly. Some of it is still cool, but i don't think its aged that well.
  • Deckard1 21 Jan 2013 15:39:30 29,126 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    I don't hate wirework!
    I just don't like shit wirework.
    I didn't say you did. But I wouldn't say the wirework in crouching tiger was shit. It was the style they were going for. It looked beautiful imo.

Edited by Deckard1 at 15:39:51 21-01-2013

• Mola_Ram 21 Jan 2013 15:40:42 7,958 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    For what it's worth, I've seen dozens of Chinese fantasy movies, and imo the wire work in Crouching Tiger is right up there. It's a thing of beauty, made even moreso by the long takes in the fight scenes.
  • Deleted user 21 January 2013 15:41:53
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Blade Runner never looked horrible you maniac!!
    i watched blade runner last week. And yeah ... it never look horrible, infact the HD transfer is beautiful. the effects and what not weren't massive in the first place, it was all 'outside' shots of big installations, which are so sharp and detailed as well. The breadth and size of the sets in Blade runner are massive. A real visual treat.
  • megastar 21 Jan 2013 15:42:53 17,197 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    For the record, I thought Crouching Tiger was daft! Just a load of folk pissing about up some trees and that - not for me!

Give me Kickboxer any day!
  • Deleted user 21 January 2013 15:43:40
    havn't seen CTHD for a good few years, might pick it up on blu ray soon
  • LeoliansBro 21 Jan 2013 15:44:23 44,723 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Blade Runner never looked horrible you maniac!!
    i watched blade runner last week. And yeah ... it never look horrible, infact the HD transfer is beautiful. the effects and what not weren't massive in the first place, it was all 'outside' shots of big installations, which are so sharp and detailed as well. The breadth and size of the sets in Blade runner are massive. A real visual treat.
    Plus one of Daryl Hannah's boobs comes out when she does the backflip.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• MetalDog 21 Jan 2013 15:53:24 23,864 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Maybe is it just a matter of taste, but to me this screams 'I am on wires' in a way that this avoids a whole lot better (but not completely - any time they get 'floaty' it looks bad - the sequences that convey weight in motion look a lot better).

PS: Watch both without sound

• evild_edd 21 Jan 2013 15:57:39 3,168 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Catching up on a few here from the past week or so, in order of my watching them:

The Iron Lady

Creepily good performance from Streep, but didn't really get the point of the film. If you wanted to make a film of dementia, it needn't have been about Thatcher. If you're making a story of Thatcher, why not go deeper into the politics? Still, it wasn't boring, and Jim Broadbent was amusing.

5/10

Tiny Furniture

I've been enjoying the TV series Girls (Sky Atlantic - I think) and this was on Film 4. It's made by the same writer/director/lead actor as Girls (Lena Dunham) and this is covers very similar ground: quirky, eccentric twenty year olds, none of whom are particularly likely, all trying to figure out what they're going to do with their lives. It's a little weird seeing familiar faces from the show playing different roles in the film.

What struck me most is that - with the film offering little in the way of closure, development or resolution (which is sort of the point) - the story and characters are much more suited to the longer episodic format of a TV show.

6/10

Weekend

This got great reviews in the press (glowing review on Film 2011, I remember) when it came out, and has been on my 'to watch' list for some time. It tells the story of two gay men who meet at a club and fall in love over the course of a single weekend. The performances by the two leads, and the believability of the relationship, hold this together fantastically.

Most of the film is basically them sat around one of the guy's flats and talking whilst drinking/doing drugs. In doing so, it examines the perception of homosexual men in modern society; not from a big 'human rights' aspect, but rather the day-to-day little things - (not) holding hands, kissing in the street, snide comments, overheard banter using "gay" as an offensive term, that kind of thing. This is all emphasised by the way that the film often obscures the characters behind things (a wire fence, drinkers in a bar, commuters on a train), making the point that these relationships are happening in plain sight in our modern society.

As a straight guy these 'little things' are restrictions/hang-ups I've never considered, and it did make challenging and thought-provoking viewing. I would encourage anyone to watch it once. You wonder whether the broadcaster and ratings board would have been so vociferous in pointing out the 'graphic sexual scenes' (and stamping on an 18 rating) had they involved a straight couple, or whether this is just another of the subtle inequalities the film highlights...

9/10

And then, in dramatic style, I went from a study of a gay relationship to...

My Neighbour Totoro

First viewing. I won't rate this as, having now seen it, I understand it's not really aimed at a thirty-year-old bloke.

Charming and whimsical in parts (the bus stop scene was tremendous and the high point of the film), the nature of the kids is endearing even though I found the plot a little lacking. I mean, not much actually happens. I get that's part of the point, but still...

Personally I preferred other Ghibli films: Spirited Away and Mononoke stand above the others I've seen. I say this respectfully, understanding that many consider MNT as Miyazaki's masterpiece.

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• Mola_Ram 21 Jan 2013 16:00:27 7,958 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    They're different genres of film, and have different attitudes towards "realism".

One of the world's most experienced fight choreographers worked on Crouching Tiger. So however bad you think it looks, I'm fairly certain that the way it looks is quite intentional. Whether you like that or not is a different matter, but the "floaty" bits are par for the course in wuxia fantasy movies.

Edit: @ Metaldog

Edited by Mola_Ram at 16:01:08 21-01-2013
  • MetalDog 21 Jan 2013 16:05:04 23,864 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Mola_Ram
    Yeah, I'm sure it was intentional, I'm just baffled by why anyone would aim for it. It really does look like bad Peter Pan stuff to me. Lots of chinese martial arts flicks do incredible wire work, but CTHD was not one of them for me =)

• Deckard1 21 Jan 2013 16:12:44 29,126 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's pretty.

• dr_swin 21 Jan 2013 16:21:46 4,907 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Django Unchained

Pulp Fiction >Kill Bill> Res dogs >Inglorious Basteurds > Django >Jackie Brown > Deathproof

Or at least that's how I see it.

Christophe Waltz is once again superb. Jamie Foxx is pretty good too. Soundtrack not up to the standards of Pulp fiction or Kill Bill. The film is gratuitously violent. There were some elements of his trademark entertaining dialogue but it almost went into the realm of pastiche on occasion. The scene with the white masks being one such example.

It was also far too long and I was checking my watch with about about 45 minutes to go. There were loads of sections that could have been done away with.

Edited by dr_swin at 16:22:11 21-01-2013
  • Deleted user 21 January 2013 16:27:53
    Speaking of holding up, I find it frankly astonishing that Jurassic Park is twenty years old and still looks absolutely terrific, even the parts where it's definitely CG.
  • Gambit1977 21 Jan 2013 16:30:45 10,382 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Speaking of holding up, I find it frankly astonishing that Jurassic Park is twenty years old and still looks absolutely terrific, even the parts where it's definitely CG.
    The 3D version this year should look incredible.
    I remember seeing the first at the cinema and certain scenes, like the raptors jumping a tthe ceiling were filmed so well it almost was 3D.
  • marilena 21 Jan 2013 16:35:04 8,203 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    Maybe is it just a matter of taste, but to me this screams 'I am on wires' in a way that this avoids a whole lot better (but not completely - any time they get 'floaty' it looks bad - the sequences that convey weight in motion look a lot better).

PS: Watch both without sound
    Apologies if it's starting to feel that we're ganging up on you, but I do want to respond to that :).

The scene from Crouching Tiger that you linked there is one of the most beautiful scenes in a film ever! And all you can think is "they are obviously on wires"? It is one of the emotional moments of the film, not one of the action set pieces. It's still great looking, interesting and original.

I'm sure that they were not trying to hide the fact that they were on wires while walking on air - they (intentionally, imo) do that in the same way through the entire film.

But once they get into fights, the become more solid and don't float like that anymore.

The fight from Hellboy is one of the better action scenes from recent(ish) Hollywood movies (since Hollywood seems to be absolutely terrible at producing cool action scenes for some reason), but it still suffers from the fact that Ron Perlman is a very, very slow old man, further slowed down by a cumbersome suit.
  • evild_edd 21 Jan 2013 16:36:51 3,168 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    meme wrote:
    I remember seeing the first at the cinema and certain scenes, like the raptors jumping a tthe ceiling were filmed so well it almost was 3D.
    Err.....unlikely. Retro-fitted 3D is atrocious. You'll be better off just watching it again in hi-def 2D.

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• Deleted user 21 January 2013 16:38:03
    evild_edd wrote:
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    meme wrote:
    Err.....unlikely. Retro-fitted 3D is atrocious. You'll be better off just watching it again in hi-def 2D.
    It can be good. Titanic's 3D conversion worked very well.
  • Deckard1 21 Jan 2013 16:39:54 29,126 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Meme watched Titanic in 3D everyone.

• mrpon 21 Jan 2013 16:42:32 29,398 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    +1 if he reached out and air-honked the tit

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• MetalDog 21 Jan 2013 16:43:16 23,864 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @marilena
    I just don't see the beauty in the style at all. I think it looks fucking dreadful =D I also think Hellboy is supposed to be slow and cumbersome in fighting style - he's all STR and not much DEX - he can't shoot for shit half the time either.
    Hollywood aside to dodge the 'pfft Hollywood' bias, I'd take the fight scenes from stuff like Mr. Vampire over CTHD any day of the week for looks and feel. Some of the unfloaty fights in CTHD were fantastic, but the horrible wire work and the story I didn't enjoy kind of killed any gain from those for me.

I'm kind of surprised I'm so lonely in being of this opinion though - I thought once the hype had died down I'd be joined by a few more (as I have been in the Nolan Batman issues).

• disusedgenius 21 Jan 2013 16:49:18 5,514 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Keep fighting the good fight, MD! God I hated* that fucking film...

* ish
  • Page

of 2840 First / Last