Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2051

• Page

of 2871 First / Last

• disusedgenius 31 Dec 2012 12:36:31 5,626 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Did anyone actually like The Phantom Menace when it first came out? I can't recall.
  • Daddy-Doom-Bar 31 Dec 2012 12:40:07 2,461 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    Did anyone actually like The Phantom Menace when it first came out? I can't recall.
    Not me.

You must be the change you wish to see in the world - Ghandi

• disusedgenius 31 Dec 2012 12:41:20 5,626 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I honestly can't even remember my opinion back then when walking out of the cinema. I hope it was the correct one, but that was 15 years ago now and I could well have been a fucking idiot at the time. :(
  • Daddy-Doom-Bar 31 Dec 2012 12:43:26 2,461 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well I was an idiot and I hated it with a passion. I remember being so frickin angry I nearly asked for my money back. Never been so disappointed in my life.

You must be the change you wish to see in the world - Ghandi

• Deleted user 31 December 2012 12:46:40
    I liked the pod racing but the rest was guff.
  • Deleted user 31 December 2012 12:51:09
    A good amount of people were saying things like "it's just so nice to be back in that world etc".

I don't think The Hobbit it anywhere bear as bad as Ep1, but I think it plays a similar trick on you. It draws on your desire to like it and pleases you in the short term by hitting some of the same notes, but it's largely smoke and mirrors. The substance isn't there, and actually ultimately there's a danger of going the other way and resenting it like people now do with Ep1.
  • b0rk 31 Dec 2012 12:56:12 2,945 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Eh?
  • Deleted user 31 December 2012 13:00:13
    :)
  • LeoliansBro 31 Dec 2012 13:01:13 44,966 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I convinced myself I like The Phantom Menace in the same way I convinced myself I liked The Dark Knight Rises. I put aside any misgivings as things I'd grow to appreciate.

Hobbit is going to be another one of those isn't it.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• disusedgenius 31 Dec 2012 13:02:42 5,626 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The substance is there, it's just very different matter is all due to the source material. In fact I found it a much better adaptation than the second two LOTR films were.

Edited by disusedgenius at 13:03:56 31-12-2012
  • Deleted user 31 December 2012 13:08:12
    Yeah, they were really boring as well.
  • Lukus 31 Dec 2012 13:16:21 19,488 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I honestly think Jackson has done a pretty good job with the material. I read the book again (the last time it was read to me when I was 8) over the last month before seeing the film, and it is literally just several action scenes thinly linked together, with no real sense of the passage of time or distance. It's LoTR Lite. Which is fine. It's just quite a sophisticated kids' book. Nothing more, nothing less.

I think maybe some people are disappointed that it's not another LotR film. It's not supposed to be. It's just a fun romp, nothing more nothing less.

Paintings & Photographs

• beastmaster 31 Dec 2012 13:16:47 12,020 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    I saw it at the cinema nine times. I only liked Darth Maul and the podrace.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Lukus 31 Dec 2012 13:17:13 19,488 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Film of 1999 though right.

Paintings & Photographs

• Deleted user 31 December 2012 13:20:14
    Lukus wrote:
    I honestly think Jackson has done a pretty good job with the material. I read the book again (the last time it was read to me when I was 8) over the last month before seeing the film, and it is literally just several action scenes thinly linked together, with no real sense of the passage of time or distance. It's LoTR Lite. Which is fine. It's just quite a sophisticated kids' book. Nothing more, nothing less.

I think maybe some people are disappointed that it's not another LotR film. It's not supposed to be. It's just a fun romp, nothing more nothing less.
    I was hoping that it tried to be another LotRs film. A fun romp is fine but the way he's structured and paced it hurts that too much for me.
  • Deleted user 31 December 2012 13:21:17
    beastmaster wrote:
    disusedgenius wrote:
    I saw it at the cinema nine times. I only liked Darth Maul and the podrace.
    You liked about 10 minutes of the film and still saw it 9 times in the cinema? How many times have you seen it since?
  • Lukus 31 Dec 2012 13:32:58 19,488 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'd a friend back then who was obsessed with Star Wars, to the point where he had dozens of toys in their original packaging, unopened, proudly displayed on his shelf. He even bought all the Phantom Menace toys that were available before the film's release. He basically had so much invested in it, that no way was he going to admit it was a massive pile of shit. So he had to pretend he loved it and thought it was a genuinely good Star Wars film. It was pitiful.

Paintings & Photographs

• StarchildHypocrethes 31 Dec 2012 13:35:55 26,631 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    disusedgenius wrote:
    I saw it at the cinema nine times.
    The fuck?!
  • mrpon 31 Dec 2012 14:17:20 29,587 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• RichieTenenbaum 31 Dec 2012 14:19:13 2,228 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Blade Runner 100

It is the best film I've ever seen
  • beastmaster 31 Dec 2012 14:21:32 12,020 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I know, I know. That is shameful. However, in my defense, I really didn't have anything much better to do at the time.

• beastmaster 31 Dec 2012 14:22:20 12,020 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Argo - 10/10

Ben Affleck directs and stars in this absolutely stunning film about a joint CIA-Canadian secret operation to rescue six American fugitive diplomats in 1980 from Iran, at the height of the revolution.

Everything about this film is superb. The one thing this film has that most others don't is a great story to tell. The fact it's based on a true story makes it all the more remarkable. The plan? Send in one man (Affleck) and try and get them out under the guise that they are a film crew out on a location scout for a science-fiction film called Argo. One man in, seven people out.

This frankly remarkable story is only the first part of what makes this film such a pleasure to watch. The acting from everyone concerned is the stuff of Oscars. Frankly, Affleck deserves a triple win here. Best actor, best producer and best film. It is that good.

The film is not without humour. Affleck's character goes to Hollywood and gets financial backing for the fake film and publicity is run in the film trade bible Variety. It's here where John Goodman and Alan Arkin bring on the laughs as they fool Hollywood into thinking the film is the real deal.

What the film also has is knife-edged tension. It's a truly gripping thriller. I'm not going to give anything away but as events progress in the film, the tension ramps up accordingly. The final scenes are edge of the seat stuff. To put it into context, this film makes Skyfall looks wanting.
    As for the production, the end credits show the real people and the actors who portrayed them. It also includes real life news footage and the attention to detail is extraordinary. Everything's been lovingly recreated.

Also, Affleck sports who can only be described as a fierce beard. This deserves an award it itself.

Edited by beastmaster at 14:45:45 31-12-2012

• Deleted user 31 December 2012 14:24:22
    How much humour is there in The Hobbit? It's something that kind of annoyed me about LotR, stringing in random moments of levity of dwarf tossing, skateboarding on an Orc shield and shouting that one of those big elephants "only counts as one" inbetween scenes that were supposed to be filled with pathos and drama made everything feel videogamey and fake.
  • RichieTenenbaum 31 Dec 2012 14:26:49 2,228 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Jesus. The only thing that made LOTR bearable was the little bits of humour and banter. It's not supposed to be serious. It's Lord of the Rings. A big steaming pile o shite about boring family trees.
  • JoeBlade 31 Dec 2012 14:28:18 2,671 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    I know, I know. That is shameful. However, in my defense, I really didn't have anything much better to do at the time.
    Forcing rusty nails through your own scrotum would've been a more useful and interesting passtime.
  • Deleted user 31 December 2012 14:29:45
    I didn't necessarily mean the humour in itself was bad or unnecessary, just that it was entirely misplaced.

"HELP ME I AM KING AND I LIE HERE DYING, I REUNITE WITH MY DAUGHTER AS SHE PROVES HERSELF TO ME"
    (cut straight to Gimli pratfalling)

Edited by meme at 14:30:00 31-12-2012
  • Bremenacht 31 Dec 2012 14:31:20 19,666 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    meme wrote:
    How much humour is there in The Hobbit? It's something that kind of annoyed me about LotR, stringing in random moments of levity of dwarf tossing, skateboarding on an Orc shield and shouting that one of those big elephants "only counts as one" inbetween scenes that were supposed to be filled with pathos and drama made everything feel videogamey and fake.
    More than LotR and it seems a lot more appropriate in the Hobbit. Some of it may be me pointing at Freeman's face and laughing though. Doesn't everyone do that? He's got that sort of face. He makes the film a lot more like what you'd expect of the Hobbit than all the CGI. Some nice slapstick in there too e.g. the Goblin King's final resting place.
  • RichieTenenbaum 31 Dec 2012 14:31:43 2,228 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Suppose. I did t really notice that as the dramitic bits had absolutely no impact on me. I suppose they assumed you'd read all the books first or something.
  • Bremenacht 31 Dec 2012 14:33:24 19,666 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Hobbit - It's not all bad.
  • Bremenacht 31 Dec 2012 14:34:05 19,666 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    meme wrote:
    I didn't necessarily mean the humour in itself was bad or unnecessary, just that it was entirely misplaced.

"HELP ME I AM KING AND I LIE HERE DYING, I REUNITE WITH MY DAUGHTER AS SHE PROVES HERSELF TO ME"
    (cut straight to Gimli pratfalling)
    Legolas - "One hundred!" /o\
  • Page

of 2871 First / Last