Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2047

  • Page

    of 2713 First / Last

  • Gruff 28 Dec 2012 22:55:44 2,842 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Daddy-Doom-Bar wrote:

    Dredd 7/10
    Gets extra points for Dredd never removing his helmet. It was just like the comic, liked the slo mo shit. Overall pretty good. Will look forward to the next one.
    Totally agree (apart from the one extra mark your missing ;) The film is just how I remember the source material, with no concessions. Yes its brutal, but so are the comics.

    Hopefully its done well enough for sequels (they are talking about 3 films) it would really flesh the world out fully.

    “It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

  • captainrentboy 28 Dec 2012 23:40:56 965 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Jack Reacher- 65%
    Tom Cruise is....Tom Cruise.
    Not a bad lil crime thriller, was hoping for a little more in the way of action scenes though, as I didn't find the overall story particularly exciting.
    The action scenes that were there were choreographed very well (Especially the car chase) they were just over far too quickly.
    Herzog was hammy as fuck, but that Jai Courtney guy wasn't too bad as the main henchman, I'm interested to see if he'll be much cop in the new Die Hard.
    Worth a watch then, but not as good as a lot of the hype has made out.
  • jonsaan 28 Dec 2012 23:43:24 25,326 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've read a lot of Jack Reacher books and I would never have cast Tom Cruise as him :(

    FCUTA!

  • spindle9988 28 Dec 2012 23:53:40 3,504 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Are the books any good?
  • Oh-Bollox 29 Dec 2012 00:19:08 5,164 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No.
  • Max_Powers 29 Dec 2012 00:51:03 1,090 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dredd 8/10

    Missed it at the cinema, downloaded it of the internet so I guess my sentence is Death.

    Anyway, really liked the 80s scifi feel to it. Doesn't fuff about. Like The Raid but without the Asians.

    Edited by Max_Powers at 00:51:33 29-12-2012
  • Bananazniper 29 Dec 2012 00:59:29 587 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Flight 6/10

    Don't know how to take this. Denzel is superb as always but his character is really unlikeable. Maybe that's what the director wanted, but some side characters petered out to nothing were you thought it was going somewhere.

    Some characters he's played are arseholes but you like them because they are outrageous. But in this it seemed to just be he's an arsehole. Loads of potential but missed more than it hit for me.

    Reminds me a bit of the Bad Lieutenant with Nick Cage, which is a far superior film.

    Edited by Bananazniper at 01:08:54 29-12-2012
  • Deleted user 29 December 2012 03:11:14
    Gruff wrote:
    Daddy-Doom-Bar wrote:

    Dredd 7/10
    Gets extra points for Dredd never removing his helmet. It was just like the comic, liked the slo mo shit. Overall pretty good. Will look forward to the next one.
    Totally agree (apart from the one extra mark your missing ;) The film is just how I remember the source material, with no concessions. Yes its brutal, but so are the comics.

    Hopefully its done well enough for sequels (they are talking about 3 films) it would really flesh the world out fully.
    Unfortunately although Dredd was awesome it only made ~$30 million dollars worldwide against a budget of $50M. WHen you factor in studios only see 40-45% of any gross a sequel will be very unlikely.

    It totally tanked.............partly because Stallones version was so fucking bad its tarnished the Dredd brand permanently.
  • Khanivor 29 Dec 2012 03:15:56 40,405 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Probably tanked because the trailers were fucking boring. Unless you knew who Dredd was what was going to make you go see it? Someone being shot in a dark, grimy building or someone talking in a dark, grimy building? Maybe bit of a dark, grimy building exploding?

    A sequel could be made if it does well on home video. Like, if people didn't pirate it.

    Edited by Khanivor at 03:17:49 29-12-2012
  • beastmaster 29 Dec 2012 03:42:39 11,205 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Grey 9/10

    Liam Neeson does a different kind of Dances With Wolves. An excellent survival film. It's heavy going though.

    The plot involves a group of six oil men who survive a plane crash and their struggle to stay alive as a pack of wolves hunt them down. Luckily Liam Neeson is a skilled huntsman who knows what to expect.

    This is a pretty savage and sometimes harrowing film. These wolves are just all out scary. I wasn't expecting the film to be so tense and there are quite a few genuine shocks in there. The wolf effects themselves are excellent and pretty much always convince.

    The acting from everyone involved here is superb. The crash and the scenes thereafter as the survivors organise themselves are harrowing and genuinely touching in places.

    I'm sure whoever wrote this did their research but I'm not entirely convinced the wolves would be that well organised even with an alpha in charge.

    I've been skipping over this film for ages on Netflix. I was expecting it to be a by the numbers survival story but it's not just that at all. The story is about themes such as regret, loss, love and things that matter.

    An emotional powerhouse of a film. It's gripping right from the start and continues to keep you there right to the finish. The characters by and large avoid cliche and I was genuinely surprised how tense it was in certain scenes.

    Well worth watching and (probably) one of my top 10 films of the year.

    The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

  • Deleted user 29 December 2012 03:47:41
    beastmaster wrote:
    The Grey 9/10

    Liam Neeson does a different kind of Dances With Wolves. An excellent survival film. It's heavy going though.

    The plot involves a group of six oil men who survive a plane crash and their struggle to stay alive as a pack of wolves hunt them down. Luckily Liam Neeson is a skilled huntsman who knows what to expect.

    This is a pretty savage and sometimes harrowing film. These wolves are just all out scary. I wasn't expecting the film to be so tense and there are quite a few genuine shocks in there. The wolf effects themselves are excellent and pretty much always convince.

    The acting from everyone involved here is superb. The crash and the scenes thereafter as the survivors organise themselves are harrowing and genuinely touching in places.

    I'm sure whoever wrote this did their research but I'm not entirely convinced the wolves would be that well organised even with an alpha in charge.

    I've been skipping over this film for ages on Netflix. I was expecting it to be a by the numbers survival story but it's not just that at all. The story is about themes such as regret, loss, love and things that matter.

    An emotional powerhouse of a film. It's gripping right from the start and continues to keep you there right to the finish. The characters by and large avoid cliche and I was genuinely surprised how tense it was in certain scenes.

    Well worth watching and (probably) one of my top 10 films of the year.
    Agree was lucky enough to see the grey at the cinema and thought it was intense, brutal and brilliant.

    Love that scene with the wolf eyes surrounding them in the dark shit scary.......

    Liam neeson is one fucking hard bastard in this though

    Interesting parallels too, with the 6 survivors acting a like a wolf pack and being led by their own Alpha pack leader in Neeson

    Edited by espibara at 03:54:13 29-12-2012
  • RMXtreme 29 Dec 2012 04:09:19 3,145 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's a wonderful Life

    Watched for the first time over christmas, and don't really understand why this film is considered a christmas classic; sure christmas is mentioned in the finale, but you could probably replace it with any occasion where families get together and the film would have been as excellent.

    10/10

    The 13th Amendment aka Lincoln

    My guess is that the original script was about how the 13th amendment came to pass through the house, but realizing not many people would be interested in seeing such a film they tacked on some small amounts of Licoln stuff, without giving much insight into his character.
    Now I generally enjoy the discussing/haggling/bribing/blackmailing that goes on behind the scenes, but here it was all rather muted and I've seen it done a lot better elsewhere (The West Wing e.g.).
    The cast was excellent, it looked pretty good, but the script was poor and the music was overly dramatic.

    4/10
  • Lotos8ter 29 Dec 2012 08:14:00 2,353 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    spindle9988 wrote:
    Are the books any good?
    Don't want to derail but I've read a fair few of them and they're solid page turners ranging from piss poor to rather excellent. Start with Die Trying or Tripwire (both superb) and then proceed with caution with the remainder IMO

    Fiat Lux

  • Daddy-Doom-Bar 29 Dec 2012 08:36:02 2,431 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Khanivor Agreed. I download quite a few films, if I like them I always buy the special editions when they come out. Dredd will be one of them.

    You must be the change you wish to see in the world - Ghandi

  • Steve_Perry 29 Dec 2012 12:09:01 3,656 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Looper 6/10.

    It starts out as a fast paced sci-fi film with some good ideas, then the farm becomes the main setting and the movie becomes really dull.

    The ending was shit too.

    VIVA STEFANSEN

  • stephenb 29 Dec 2012 12:22:17 2,731 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RMXtreme wrote:
    It's a wonderful Life

    Watched for the first time over christmas, and don't really understand why this film is considered a christmas classic; sure christmas is mentioned in the finale, but you could probably replace it with any occasion where families get together and the film would have been as excellent.

    10/10

    My wife and I watch this every Christmas eve once the kids presents are organised. I know what you mean about the Christmas connection but the scene where he runs down the middle of the main street is pretty iconic. Plus you've got the whole angel, jingle bells, spirit of Christmas thing going on. I cant see it translating that well to thanksgiving or such.

    Easily in my top 5 movies of all time. One of my favourite jimmy Stewart performances too.

    PSN : v--WEDGE--v

  • Gruff 29 Dec 2012 12:48:06 2,842 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jeff, Who Lives at Home 7/10 Meanders along pleasantly enough, but the ending is what elevates it, terrific.

    “It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

  • speedofthepuma 29 Dec 2012 12:50:50 13,268 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cabin in the woods 9/10

    Just about my ideal horror film, as in: not one. Bonus points for dropping Scooby Doo, he was never the reason why I watched anyway.

    I've turned off all the avatars and crap, so don't expect me to be impressed by yours.

  • TechnoHippy 29 Dec 2012 13:50:19 14,698 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Book of Eli

    Quite an entertaining post apocalypse film.

    7/10

    Cleanskin

    An ok thriller, Sean Bean kept it together.

    6/10

    My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

  • drhcnip 29 Dec 2012 13:58:05 2,456 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    another earth - 8.5/10

    really enjoyed this - been wanting to see it for some time as i love melancholia and this struck me as in a similar vein

    definitely needs a few rewatches as i assume different scenes are taking place on different earths and at some point the splinter theory takes place....my thinking atm is when she goes to apologise...which is why she ends up seeing herself as there's no relationship to result in him getting the ticket...good stuff, i like a bit of theorising
  • Tom_Servo 29 Dec 2012 15:30:17 17,330 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Vertigo - 9/10

    My first time seeing this (and only my second Hitchcock). Great stuff, of course. I didn't know the details of the plot, so it was fun to be able to watch such a famous film and not actually know what's going to happen.

    Stewart is absolute dynamite, especially in the final scenes. It would be so easy for that to descend into ridiculousness. I mean, can you imagine if they remade it and Nicolas Cage was in the Stewart role?

    An outstanding film, but I preferred Rear Window.
  • Deleted user 29 December 2012 16:16:29
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    Vertigo - 9/10

    My first time seeing this (and only my second Hitchcock). Great stuff, of course. I didn't know the details of the plot, so it was fun to be able to watch such a famous film and not actually know what's going to happen.

    Stewart is absolute dynamite, especially in the final scenes. It would be so easy for that to descend into ridiculousness. I mean, can you imagine if they remade it and Nicolas Cage was in the Stewart role?

    An outstanding film, but I preferred Rear Window.
    Oh man... oh man. you are in for some treats :)

    I recently rewatched North by Northwest on blu ray, the transfer is astonishing. BBC2 had a triple bill of his films on yesterday afternoon as well.
  • RobAnybody 29 Dec 2012 17:46:27 884 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    Vertigo - 9/10


    An outstanding film, but I preferred Rear Window.
    Fully agree with that. :)
  • Tonka 29 Dec 2012 17:58:53 20,028 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Sorcerer's Apprentice
    I enjoyed this more than I should. Better than TDKR since it doesn't pretend to be anything but a kids film. Some nice references in there for the grownups and I have a soft spot for Nicolas Cage.

    For fans of Nic Cage

    If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

  • Lukus 29 Dec 2012 19:24:37 19,007 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Hobbit (2D, 24fps)

    I really enjoyed it. I was worried it might drag a bit given the running time and other people complaining there was too much Shire. I didn't find this at all. I thought the pacing was good for the most part and the Shire stuff didn't outstay its welcome at all.
    Overall the lighter tone (compared to the LotR films) works well and is faithful to that of the book.

    I thought there was a lot of unnecessary CG (the main Orc could easily have been played by a human) and the action scenes were a little samey, but for the most part it looked nice and it was good to be back in Middle Earth.

    Gollum was great, as always, I like that Smaug's appearance hasn't been fully revealed and I'm very much looking forward to the next one now.

    8/10

    Paintings & Photographs

  • Deleted user 29 December 2012 22:50:15
    Los Debutantes (2003) 9/10

    Really enjoyable film. Totally unpredictable. I had read other people’s views on how the camera work is rough / shaky etc - I didn’t find this to be the case. Sure there are some scenes, mostly set outside that are a little shaky, but this added to the atmosphere. During the making of we learn that this is Director Andrés Waissbluth first film, which makes it even more amazing. Antonella Ríos who plays Gracia, the girl on the DVD cover with the shaving foam covering her bits, is just so damn sexy. IMDb reveals she did a lot of TV work after, but no films. That makes no sense. All the cast, which isn’t that big, do a great job, and really take the viewer to that place, the bar, the house etc. I had my reservations before buying Los Debutantes, buy now I know I should have watched it much sooner. Now it’s time to check out the other work from Andrés Waissbluth .
  • boo 29 Dec 2012 23:53:22 11,706 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bridesmaids

    2 hours of my life that I'm never getting back/10

    What a sack of crap! The only saving grace is that I borrowed it rather than spent any money on it.
    Makes 'Your Highness' look like Citizen Kane.

    Just Another Lego Blog

  • RMXtreme 30 Dec 2012 04:37:55 3,145 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You're giving "Your Highness" too much credit there; they were both equally awful.
  • dominalien 30 Dec 2012 07:49:28 6,839 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Grey

    Unfortunately did nothing for me at all. Stuff that I found very annoying:

    They're running towards the trees, the wolves are right on their heels, they enter the very sparse wood and suddenly the wolves are gone, not attacking, nowhere to be seen. Why, exactly?

    The whole mushy thing with the wife. Oooh, my wife left me, I'm so sad, ohhh, she's dead. So? It doesn't make me care more about the character, it does nothing. It would have been better if she'd just left him, he looks extremely leavable.

    After the little adventure in the river, he walks out on the bank, has a nice sit down, a little think and then walks on as if nothing happened. He's soaked in ice-cold water, his clothes are never going to get dry again, he's losing heat like crazy yet not so much as a shiver from him. Ugh.


    The final scene redeems the entire film.

    6/10

    PSN: DonOsito

  • Page

    of 2713 First / Last

Log in or register to reply