Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 2001

• Page

of 2711 First / Last

• ronuds 8 Nov 2012 18:10:46 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Grumpy Old Men

They don't make 'em like this anymore. A true joy to watch - hilarious one minute and the next Walter Matthau nearly has me in tears, the wrinkly-faced old bastard. I hadn't seen it in so long, I had forgotten how good it was and how much I miss guys like Lemmon and Matthau.

90/100
  • LeoliansBro 8 Nov 2012 18:14:32 43,247 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Plus one, especially Jack Lemmon. Some Like it Hot is one of the greatest films ever made.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• lordofthedunce 8 Nov 2012 18:16:43 375 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @evild_edd

Definitely solo it!
  • Madder-Max 8 Nov 2012 18:25:49 11,622 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pihrana (sp?). 9/10

Really enjoyed this. Very cleverly made film in the style of an 80's b movie. Great use of effects which nod to the 80's and was hoping that elenas brother from vamp diaries would get chomped .........but he didn't. Great rompy fun.

99 problems and being ginger is one

• Lotos8ter 8 Nov 2012 21:38:23 2,353 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Argo 9/10

Really, enjoyed this. Great cast (Goodman never better, Bryan Cranston ftw) and well helmed by Ben Affleck. Too strange for fiction story that worked really well on screen with new footage merged with "old".

Superb

Fiat Lux

• Mola_Ram 8 Nov 2012 23:56:56 6,993 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Madder-Max wrote:
    Iron Skies. Fucking awful/10. I turned it off after 30 mins. Apparently its a comedy although there was fuck all to laugh at. Total shite.
    Really? Come on now.

There's a black guy! PRETENDING TO BE A WHITE GUY. They even have him in "white face" makeup, and trying to connect with his former black friends. But they don't trust him. Because he looks white!

There's even some biting political commentary about a Sarah Palin lookalike getting advised by - get this - actual Nazis. (because the Republicans in America are like Nazis, get it?)

How could one's sides not split.
  • 1Dgaf 9 Nov 2012 00:36:31 3,788 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I thought Iron Sky was tolerable for a bad film. I laughed out loud a couple .. er...once, I think.

True Grit, the remake. 8. Good acting. Let down at the end a little bit by nonsensical thing happening.

Edited by 1Dgaf at 00:38:13 09-11-2012

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

• -cerberus- 9 Nov 2012 00:37:30 2,464 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Asylum

What started as a very interesting psychological thriller turns into a childish Scooby Doo-type of "Who done it?" film complete with characters having their cringeworthy moments of evil laughter. Very much enjoyed the stories and initial build-up but I'm extremely disappointed with the direction it took near the end. It ruined the whole film.

4.5/10

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• Mola_Ram 9 Nov 2012 00:51:20 6,993 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    1Dgaf wrote:
    I thought Iron Sky was tolerable for a bad film. I laughed out loud a couple .. er...once, I think.
    I liked the classroom scene, and the whole 'moon nazi' premise had potential! But then it's like they said "Fuck, we have no money and pretty much all the funny moon nazi stuff we had was in the trailer", and had no idea how to fill the rest of the 80 minutes until the big finale. So they cobbled together some cringeworthy racial humor and used the notes from that hilarious sketch about America they thought of in a first-year politics lecture. Voila.

It was painfully bad.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 00:57:18 09-11-2012
  • Khanivor 9 Nov 2012 02:52:27 40,402 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sherlock Holmes 2 - 6/10

Not as nippy as the first one yet still an entertaining enough way to spend a few hours. I did find myself wondering why I was not only wanting to see Jude Law die but found him more charismatic than the caricature of himself that RDJ has become. Here's hoping he gets back on the drugs.

And what is it with Guy Ritchie and casting gruff hard-looking English men with stubble? He's fucking gay, isn't he? Explains why he married a man, I suppose.
  • khaz 9 Nov 2012 07:16:42 2,733 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    Grumpy Old Men

They don't make 'em like this anymore. A true joy to watch - hilarious one minute and the next Walter Matthau nearly has me in tears, the wrinkly-faced old bastard. I hadn't seen it in so long, I had forgotten how good it was and how much I miss guys like Lemmon and Matthau.

90/100
    Some Like it Hot
    The Apartment
    12 Angry Men
    My Fellow Americans

I could go on and on. I love Jack Lemmon.
  • LeoliansBro 9 Nov 2012 07:20:00 43,247 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Was Jack Lemmon in 12 Angry Men?

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• khaz 9 Nov 2012 07:32:40 2,733 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yes he was. In the remake. Which was also pretty good. My bad, should have been specific. He played Peter Fonda's role in the remake, which is an excellent bit of casting. :)

Edited by khaz at 07:33:24 09-11-2012
  • Blakester 9 Nov 2012 10:10:45 3,580 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Apartment is probably my favourite Jack Lemmon film. It's really dark and twisted and Shirley MacLain is adorable.

Lemmon is brilliant in Glen Gary Glen Ross, and a standout in what is one of the most impressive actor ensembles ever.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• craigy Staff 9 Nov 2012 10:17:52 7,541 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Extract: 6/10
  • lordofdeadside 9 Nov 2012 15:57:06 1,101 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rust and Bone (De rouille et d'os)

Beautiful movie with spellbinding performances. It's bleak and brutal themes are handled honestly neither overly sentimentalising them or shying away. Lovely cinematography too. There's a slightly melodramatic ending, but you do go with it at the time.

90%
  • Gambit1977 9 Nov 2012 15:57:42 9,583 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is that the one by the dude who directed A Prophet?
  • kingnothing12 9 Nov 2012 16:09:11 539 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Shining 10/10

First time watching it and luckily they were showing it at the Electric Cinema in Birmingham. Wow what an awesome first viewing, cinema was packed but no one made a sound. It was also the rare American cut, which had a couple of new scenes according to friends. Jack Nicholson is insanely good in this, a true menacing grin and the slow build is perfect, also props to the score which really set the tone for the entire film.
  • Deleted user 9 November 2012 16:13:00
    The Rock - 1/10

On the very rare occasions in my life when I have watched a Michael Bay film it has felt like part of me was dying...inside. Like being violated by some otherworldly entity.

Cage wasn't terrible and Sean Connery was in it, hence a score higher than zero.
  • disusedgenius 9 Nov 2012 16:16:22 5,225 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    But... that's the good one!
  • Deleted user 9 November 2012 16:17:12
    -_-
  • Deleted user 9 November 2012 16:20:58
    There's something wrong with you. No Cage film is worthy of 1/10.
  • TechnoHippy 9 Nov 2012 16:44:35 14,698 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sherlock Holmes - Game of Shadows

Quite entertaining. Silly and fun in equal combination.

7/10

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Toonster 9 Nov 2012 21:45:46 6,835 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Caught a screening of Spielberg's new film, Lincoln

I'm a huge Spielberg fan, but I found this film to be bland and a bit boring, almost like a made-for-TV political drama. I don't think even DDL was able to save it for me, and was actually a bit underwhelmed by his performance, though I wasn't sure what to expect. Tommy Lee Jones was the star of the movie, and deserves a nomination.

There are still a handful of memorable scenes, and I'm pretty glad that I saw it just because, as a non-American, I don't know much about Lincoln other than the abolition of slavery, though I know the film isn't perfectly accurate. I'll give Spielberg points for toning down the schmaltz, especially after coming off of War Horse (which, despite my problems with it, I think I prefer).

Also, definitely one of the biggest disappointments was John Williams' score. It wasn't too bombastic or emotion-manipulating, which is good, but it was also a bit uninspired and mostly forgettable. Then again, I said that about the Tintin soundtrack, and then ended up loving it after listening through a few more times.

It seems to be getting very good reviews elsewhere, which I guess I'm pleased with because I do think it's an important film. It's strange because, although I was disappointed with the movie, I kind of want to see it again. I think I was expecting something completely different the first time round.

For now, though, I'd probably give it a 6/10.

Edited by Toonster at 21:46:59 09-11-2012

3DS: 0361-6951-2609 (Tom)

• Deleted user 9 November 2012 21:48:17
    kingnothing12 wrote:
    The Shining 10/10

First time watching it and luckily they were showing it at the Electric Cinema in Birmingham. Wow what an awesome first viewing, cinema was packed but no one made a sound. It was also the rare American cut, which had a couple of new scenes according to friends. Jack Nicholson is insanely good in this, a true menacing grin and the slow build is perfect, also props to the score which really set the tone for the entire film.
    Nealry all Kubrick films have a UK cut.

Awesome film.
  • WoodenSpoon 9 Nov 2012 21:55:16 12,279 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    oi wrote:
    The Rock - 1/10
    :(
  • Gruff 9 Nov 2012 22:09:31 2,842 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    WoodenSpoon wrote:
    oi wrote:
    The Rock - 1/10
    :(
    I think he overrated it myself

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• Mola_Ram 9 Nov 2012 22:10:04 6,993 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    1/10 for The Rock makes me a sad panda too.
  • Deleted user 9 November 2012 22:15:31
    Best tell Criterion!
  • woodnotes 9 Nov 2012 23:47:15 4,922 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ted - 7/10

Mostly entertaining but nowhere near as funny as the hype led me to believe. Far too many predictable jokes and things that are 'so funny cos they are so politically incorrect superlolz!!!11'. Still, not a bad way to spend a Friday night and the teddy CGI was quite something.
  • Page

of 2711 First / Last