Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 1972

• Page

of 2704 First / Last

• beastmaster 5 Oct 2012 13:16:16 11,150 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Comedown - 5.5/10

Attack The Block meets Friday 13th!

There's no trailer for this as it was a world premiere and it's not out till sometime in 2013. From the director of Kidulthood.

It's the story of a group of teens who go into a condemned South-East London tower block to set up a pirate radio mast near the roof and get stoned. Only to find they're not the only people in there. As they try and escape and face the comedown of the dugs, they die in various horrible ways.

What is it with tower blocks anyway? The Raid, Dredd, Tower Block and now this. These are the new warehouses where a film can be shot on a lower budget. Not to say these are bad films. They're not at all. Dredd and The Raid will be in my top 10 of the year. Probably.

Anyhow, back to Comedown. It's a bit of a different setting for your usual slasher flick. The characters (unlike Attack The Block) are likeable and although the way in which they die has nothing new in there, it's very well done. There are a couple of excellent tense scenes whereby I launched from my seat and nearly ended up in the back row. It's also very, very funny in places.

A decent enough horror. But would I watch it again when it finally gets a UK cinema release? No. I liked it but not enough for a second viewing.

Cockneys Vs Zombies - 9(!)/10

Piss funny, very gory and ludicrously OTT. I loved it!

Someone here gave it a 3/10 saying "No. Just no!". I have a different take on it.

This is one of the reasons I love going to see films at the cinema. Especially at a film festival like this. The atmosphere was fantastic and this film is a genuine, bonafide crowd pleaser. There were cheers, laughing and clapping after certain scenes and everyone just lapped it up.

The title just tells you everything you need to know. Any other plot strands about a bank robbery and closing of an old peoples home is irrelevant. See zombies getting blown to bits by OAPs. Cockneys killing zombies. Zombies killing cockneys. Zombies killing zombies.

I haven't laughed so much in ages. Just thinking about certain scenes now are making me chuckle. It's good the see the oldies having such a big roles in a film like this.

A few people involved in the film came on stage after the film for a Q&A. You could see they were genuinely taken aback with the reception they got. It was pretty interesting Q&A too.

I can't wait to see this again. It certainly won't have the same sort of reaction from outside of a horror film festival but that doesn't matter. The sight of seeing Richard Briers mowing down zombies with an Uzi 9mm is enough for me.

Some Guy Who Kills People - 4.5/10

Hmm...The kind of film that goes straight to DVD and nobody notices or cares. Or shows up on Channel 5. And nobody notices or cares.

A very pedestrian revenge film. I'm trying to find things good things to say about it but I'm struggling. However, it's not a terrible film either.

The film has some good things. Great performances from all involved and the Sheriff is very funny. But things are just so laid back the laughs kind of make you go "Hmmph!" on the inside. It's not boring though. Just. Very. Laid. Back.

Edit: Tonight it's Nightbreed: The Cabal Cut and a irish horror film Grabbers.

Edited by beastmaster at 13:19:33 05-10-2012

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Mikeeeboy1 5 Oct 2012 13:45:06 167 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    evild_edd wrote:
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Well, he could be serious, could just be hyperbole. This is the internet, after all, where movies are generally classified as "best thing/worst thing ever".

For my part, I was disappointed with Prometheus, as were many others. But it is very, very far from the worst film I've ever seen.
    If you were only looking at all the pictures, with the sound turned off, it'd still be pretty far from the worst film ever, surely?

Yes, it's a deeply flawed film, pretty much everybody agrees with that point, however, it absolutely beautifully shot and the GGI is some of the best on film.

If there's one thing Ridley Scott can do, it's make pretty movies.
    Actually, I almost think I would've enjoyed it more without the sound! ;0)

Agree it's far from the worst film ever (TWBB), but it is an incoherent mess in far too many ways.
    A pretty movie does not and I stress NOT make a good movie.
    Have any of you heard the expression " blinded by the light"?
    This film is typical of Hollywood today all bling and no cohesive story.
    It says something that nowadays I rarely watch a film again from the last ten years but can happily watch films
    from the 60's to the 00's because they have layers of depth that movies today can only dream about!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Mikeeeboy1 5 Oct 2012 13:54:42 167 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Prometheus is nonsense and the most utterly stupid film I have EVER EVER seen.
    I can't put in to words how angry and annoyed I am about this piece of shit film.
    It makes my blood boil how many people are defending it because it looks nice and has nice sound!!!
    What utter BOLLOCKS
  • robthehermit 5 Oct 2012 14:06:54 3,966 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rock of Ages 8/10

Solid vocals by most of the cast and packed with classic tunes. Absolutely essential if you like 80's rock and don't mind musicals.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• Gartt 5 Oct 2012 14:33:54 1,735 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mikeeeboy1 wrote:
    You need to watch more films.
  • Mikeeeboy1 5 Oct 2012 15:01:49 167 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Gartt wrote:
    Mikeeeboy1 wrote:
    You need to watch more films.
    How many do I need to see?
  • Gartt 5 Oct 2012 15:18:54 1,735 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    As many Eddie Murphy films from the last 20 years as you can.
  • Mikeeeboy1 5 Oct 2012 16:26:18 167 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Gartt wrote:
    As many Eddie Murphy films from the last 20 years as you can.
    Bowfinger is good
  • BinaryBob101 5 Oct 2012 16:43:07 22,278 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You've completely missed the fact I said it was a deeply flawed film.

Prat.

Beautiful tender beings.

• megastar 5 Oct 2012 16:47:13 17,132 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    eh? you arguing with yourself, bob?

I watched The Woman in Black the other day. Nowt much happens, harry potter walks around a house with all the lights turned off. Then a ghost comes along and airs her grievances! Not very scary! 6/10
  • BinaryBob101 5 Oct 2012 16:59:02 22,278 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I was responding to Mikeeeeeeeeeeboyyyyyyyz mad assertion that Prometheus is the worst/most stupid film ever made.

Edited by BinaryBob101 at 17:00:55 05-10-2012

Beautiful tender beings.

• Mikeeeboy1 5 Oct 2012 17:30:07 167 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    I was responding to Mikeeeeeeeeeeboyyyyyyyz mad assertion that Prometheus is the worst/most stupid film ever made.
    I was taking the piss you bellend
  • BinaryBob101 5 Oct 2012 17:32:36 22,278 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It didn't really seem like you were taking the piss at all.

Beautiful tender beings.

• TOOTR 5 Oct 2012 18:30:21 9,493 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    megastar wrote:
    eh? you arguing with yourself, bob?

I watched The Woman in Black the other day. Nowt much happens, harry potter walks around a house with all the lights turned off. Then a ghost comes along and airs her grievances! Not very scary! 6/10
    Spoilers dude! Jeez - I didn't know all the lights were turned off!

You've ruined it for me! Ruined! I was expecting a well lit period piece...

:D

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• craigy Staff 5 Oct 2012 21:49:53 7,497 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sinister: half an hour too long, but had me gripped at times. 6/10.
  • oakie007 5 Oct 2012 22:46:33 218 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Taken 2 12a/10............ Not a great film, the edge is missing from the first film, no blood, swearing...... It was like a disney film!

Edited by oakie007 at 22:46:54 05-10-2012
  • Kostabi 5 Oct 2012 22:57:30 4,874 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Snowtown - 6/10

Unsettling in a Kill List kind of way as there's just a constant stream of grimness with absolutely no joy whatsoever.

I went into the film not knowing anything about the murders in Australia that it's based on which didn't help as there's an assumption that the viewer is familiar with the whole thing. 2 hours later I still don't know anything about the characters aside from them being cunts, although maybe that's all there is to them?
  • StixxUK 6 Oct 2012 00:20:46 7,230 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Looper 7/10

Good entertainment and well worth a watch but can't see myself watching it again. Didn't feel particularly satisfying at the end. Gordon Levitt has Bruce Willis' mannerisms bang on though!
  • beastmaster 6 Oct 2012 00:43:12 11,150 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nightbreed: The Cabal Cut - Curiosity/10

A rare screening of a film that may make it to DVD/Blu-Ray. One day.

You remember Nightbreed? It came out in 1990. You may have read or remember the Clive Barker book it was based on Cabal. The film was nothing like the book.

It was originally. The studio didn't like what they saw and ordered Barker to do 3 weeks of reshoots. The film was totally re-edited and they turned it into a slasher flick.

The old footage was found and this is part of a restoration process to get it back to the original director's vision of the book. However, the footage is from old (really old) VHS. You can tell which scenes they are. They look a mess. Like someone put old VHS onto a HD screen and then covered it with a white tablecloth. The original film footage exist somewhere but nobody knows where.

But it's a much more coherent story and that's what this film is about. More fantasy than horror too.

I watched this film as more of a curiosity and that's how I'd class it. I don't think many people would sit though the 158 mins or enjoy the low quality of a lot of the scenes. Well, apart from a cinema full of Clive Barker and horror fans.

Grabbers 7/10

Father Ted vs giant alien squids. Much more fun than Prometheus.

Another funny horror film that more comedy than horror. A small island off the coast of Ireland gets attacked by giant squids. Turns out that the squids can be killed by ingesting alcohol. So the solution to stop these things? Get totally pissed by having a lock-in down the pub to stop them eating you. Then try and get through the night and wait for reinforcements to arrive.

Needless to say, nothing goes according to plan. Whilst watching this I was reminded of Gremlins and Critters. The trailer says it like "Super 8 laced with Special Brew". It's much better than both of these.

It's funny, has a few jumpy bits, a decent premise and some really quite staggering special effects. Destined to have something of a cult following.

• Gambit1977 6 Oct 2012 01:40:37 9,583 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Comedown - 5.5/10

Attack The Block meets Friday 13th!

There's no trailer for this as it was a world premiere and it's not out till sometime in 2013. From the director of Kidulthood.

It's the story of a group of teens who go into a condemned South-East London tower block to set up a pirate radio mast near the roof and get stoned. Only to find they're not the only people in there. As they try and escape and face the comedown of the dugs, they die in various horrible ways.

What is it with tower blocks anyway? The Raid, Dredd, Tower Block and now this. These are the new warehouses where a film can be shot on a lower budget. Not to say these are bad films. They're not at all. Dredd and The Raid will be in my top 10 of the year. Probably.

Anyhow, back to Comedown. It's a bit of a different setting for your usual slasher flick. The characters (unlike Attack The Block) are likeable and although the way in which they die has nothing new in there, it's very well done. There are a couple of excellent tense scenes whereby I launched from my seat and nearly ended up in the back row. It's also very, very funny in places.

A decent enough horror. But would I watch it again when it finally gets a UK cinema release? No. I liked it but not enough for a second viewing.

Cockneys Vs Zombies - 9(!)/10

Piss funny, very gory and ludicrously OTT. I loved it!

Someone here gave it a 3/10 saying "No. Just no!". I have a different take on it.

This is one of the reasons I love going to see films at the cinema. Especially at a film festival like this. The atmosphere was fantastic and this film is a genuine, bonafide crowd pleaser. There were cheers, laughing and clapping after certain scenes and everyone just lapped it up.

The title just tells you everything you need to know. Any other plot strands about a bank robbery and closing of an old peoples home is irrelevant. See zombies getting blown to bits by OAPs. Cockneys killing zombies. Zombies killing cockneys. Zombies killing zombies.

I haven't laughed so much in ages. Just thinking about certain scenes now are making me chuckle. It's good the see the oldies having such a big roles in a film like this.

A few people involved in the film came on stage after the film for a Q&A. You could see they were genuinely taken aback with the reception they got. It was pretty interesting Q&A too.

I can't wait to see this again. It certainly won't have the same sort of reaction from outside of a horror film festival but that doesn't matter. The sight of seeing Richard Briers mowing down zombies with an Uzi 9mm is enough for me.

Some Guy Who Kills People - 4.5/10

Hmm...The kind of film that goes straight to DVD and nobody notices or cares. Or shows up on Channel 5. And nobody notices or cares.

A very pedestrian revenge film. I'm trying to find things good things to say about it but I'm struggling. However, it's not a terrible film either.

The film has some good things. Great performances from all involved and the Sheriff is very funny. But things are just so laid back the laughs kind of make you go "Hmmph!" on the inside. It's not boring though. Just. Very. Laid. Back.

Edit: Tonight it's Nightbreed: The Cabal Cut and a irish horror film Grabbers.
    Very very jealous about the Cabal Cut even if the scenes are apparently unfinished and a bit grotty. But Some Guy Who Kills People was a great little film IMO. I'd give it an 8.

Just watched Warrior, finally. Good film, Tom hardy must eat nails for breakfast.
  • PhoenixFlames 6 Oct 2012 08:16:12 8,899 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cabin in the woods - 7.5/10

Well, I wasn't expecting that!

PSN - phoenix1flames

• Deleted user 6 October 2012 10:46:35
    The Town- 5/10.

Average mob/heist film. I was looking forward to this, as i thought Gone Baby Gone was a fantastic film.

It had moments where it was better than average, but moments were it was just poor. Some of the script writing was really clunky. Ben affleck was just pure shite. Stick to the directing! you have a talent! The relationship thing was just a bit awkward. The action bits were fairly good. Considering the first screens are describing 'charlestown', i came out of it knowing no more about it, or why it gives of the stats and opinions that are quoted.

Also i hate jeremey Renner. something about him just annoys me. Although he did get the best line in the film (which i can't remember)
  • Madder-Max 6 Oct 2012 10:57:06 11,618 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Raid - 10/10 its fucking brilliant.

A swat team goes up against a drug baron who has a heavily armed guard, inside the drug barons fortified building. It is the best film I have seen in ages.

If you like martial arts and close quartered armed combat you owe it to yourself to see this. Its violent and unapolagetic.

Wasaabi - 6/10 - the french guy who plays leon starts in this odd little movie that's not sure of who it is aimed at. It tries to be all things. Its a french movie that is trying to sho off and be all western and that.

Its okay but you've seen it a hundred times before. The sidekick is an annoying cunt too.

99 problems and being ginger is one

• beastmaster 6 Oct 2012 11:10:35 11,150 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    7 horror films today. I think I'll skip on The Devil Rides Out. Can watch that anytime.

Need to eat and stuff. First up is Wake Up And Die.

• craigy Staff 6 Oct 2012 11:21:25 7,497 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Funny, I've been in a real horror mood recently too. Have checked out Devil, Sinister, Untraceable and Pathology all in the last week. Gonna churn through a few more today. Maybe an Omen marathon?
  • nickthegun 6 Oct 2012 11:29:00 58,782 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you're on a horror kick, it could be worth a trip out to see sinister. I know a few guys who have seen it and really rate it. I can't get any bugger to go and see it with me, though.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• coastal 6 Oct 2012 12:52:46 5,377 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Untouchable. Had me in tears but i'm an easy pushover these days.

10/10

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• Max_Powers 6 Oct 2012 13:22:03 1,083 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dead Snow 7/10

Nazi zombies in the snow. Quite amusing although I've see too much zombie/found footage/monster/comedy horror stuff lately so I was not really in the mood for it.
  • Trowel 6 Oct 2012 18:57:00 17,425 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh wow...:

The Shining

Release date: 31 October 2012

Running time: 144 mins

Director: Stanley Kubrick

Starring: Jack Nicholson, Shelley Duvall, Danny Lloyd, Scatman Crothers

Special Halloween previews of Stanley Kubrick's horror classic as you've never seen it before!

Writer Jack Torrance (Jack Nicholson) gets the job of winter caretaker at the remote Overlook Hotel. He arrives on closing day with his wife Wendy (Shelley Duvall) and young son Danny (Danny Lloyd). Departing chef Dick Hallorann (Scatman Crothers) recognises that Danny has a psychic ability he calls "the shining" and warns him to stay away from room 237. After a month, the family are completely snowed in, Jack has writer's block, and young Danny is experiencing terrifying visions. But that's just the start of the terror that is about to befall them. Stanley Kubrick's brilliant 1980 adaptation of Stephen King's novel is one of the most disturbing films ever made. This new digital transfer of the US version runs 24 minutes longer than the European cut and has never before been seen in British cinemas.
  • Page

of 2704 First / Last