Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 1971

• Page

of 2801 First / Last

• Stranded87 3 Oct 2012 16:48:49 924 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    50/50 - 9/10

Really enjoyed this. Does a good job of dealing with a serious issue while still being kind of funny. Great performances too.

The Winning Season - 7/10

A bit meandering but a nice little film.
  • Steve_Perry 3 Oct 2012 16:50:33 4,568 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think films should be entertaining first and foremost. Prometheus isn't really. It's just pretentious, dull and confusing.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• evild_edd 3 Oct 2012 17:05:32 3,145 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Switchblade Romance

One of my friends handed me a DVD copy of this. I wrongly assumed it was a relatively new release but actually it was released back in '03, apparently..?

Anyway, it starts as a bit of a slasher flick, wasting little time in getting in to the action. Two female college friends go to the rural home of one of the girl's family. The first night, a strange man violently kills all the family, bar the college girl (whom he's keeping alive for predictable purposes). The other girl evades his notice and then tries to trail and free her friend.

The film is told from the perspective of this outsider witnessing the scenes and constantly on the edge of being found out. It's quite an interesting way of telling the plot, and stylistically it's above-average, but it all falls away with a final third reveal.

In fairness, the reveal does make sense of the implausible aspects of the earlier bits (such as the gun in the gas station, and how the killer knew to remove the bullets), but it also created further inconsistencies (the daughter's initial reaction when they first meet, the father's reaction when he opens the door...quite a few things really).

A good idea wasted, you could say.

4/10

P.S. Entirely possible I've lost my enjoyment for gory, torture films. Not that I was ever a huge fan, TBF.

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• Gruff 3 Oct 2012 17:10:11 2,911 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    Definitely, Maybe (2008): 9/10

No no, not an Oasis documentary -- the rom-com starring Ryan Reynolds. It's charming, and does exactly what it sets out to do, which is to be all mushy and New York rom-commy. Loses a point for not having a topless Reynolds scene.

A man after my own heart, love this film and Rom Coms in general, sorry some people have play the macho card whenever I mention that, their problem.

Check out "Definitely Maybe" if you haven't already

/But you are on your own with the Ryan Reynolds thing

Edited by Gruff at 17:51:42 03-10-2012

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• Deleted user 3 October 2012 17:47:25
    Black Swan

Well! Really impressed with this. It was boistorous, over the top, viscreal and big. And it worked for it. The film in itself was a performance. That may rub people the wrong way, but almost everything clicked for me.

I'm not sure if it the right way to show ballerinas like this - but i can understand a person need to be cast, put everything in to it, told you not good enough, and being so obsessed by something, you literally go through a metamorphosis.

Thought the idea of the whole 'virgin' swan thing was a bit too far - (can't complain though of some certain shots!).

Its nice to see a film which very much describes Aronosky career as a whole. Whilst PI and Reqieum for a dream in there own right good films, this was like and opus to his previous films. Its nice to see him stick and use techniques that made his first films pretty knockout and great to watch. His editing of picture and sound is second to none.

9/10
  • Deleted user 4 October 2012 07:55:09
    Coriolanus,

final third tails off but first two are excellent. Think Romeo and juilet meets black hawk down mixed with a British drama. Hard to follow but worth it.

8/10

Killing them softly.

Excellent, full of interesting characters and witty dialogue. Felt a cross between a coen brothers film and a tarantino film.

9/10

Looper

Not upto the near perfect reviews that compared it to the greatness of matrix but still a great film.
    It has a solid future setting that feels familiar yet different which helps. Good acting, good action. Clever story which doesn't want to much scrutiny.
    Only thing for me holding it down was an over long middle act that dropped the pace too much.

8/10

prometheus

Was looking forward to this so much as a fan of Scott and alien.
    Got really into the first half build up, expertly crafted and brings tension.
    However when things kick off it is pretty average at best. Won't go into reasons but basically no scares, loads of questions with no answers with a flat ending. Gutted.

5/10

Avengers

Good god no, as it was directed by josh weldon I was excited to think of the action of a marvel which some excellent characterization and witty dialogue of serenity. What I saw was a action movie with no soul, an empty vessel just like transformers 2&3.

3/10

Been a busy movie week :)

Edited by revan8 at 08:06:18 04-10-2012
  • beastmaster 4 Oct 2012 08:33:43 11,616 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've been going through the Bond 50 Blu-Ray box set in random order.

For Your Eyes Only - 8/10

The first Bond film I saw at the cinema. This one has got a pretty decent plot, Carole Bouquet, a funny car chase and all the usual Bond ingredients. Not too OTT either.

Live and Let Die - 8.5/10

This is a great Bond film. A great theme tune, a cracking set of baddies, great action and Sheriff JW Pepper :D

Quantum of Solace - 4.5/10

I was counting the speed between cuts at the start of the film. It was about 3 seconds at most. It's got some scenes that redeem it somewhat. The scenes with Mathis were good. Gemma Arterton is always pleasing on the eye. Umm...

The baddie and the evil scheme were just plain dull. As was the whole second half of the film. Standard "blow up the building" stuff. The idea was not bad but the director really fucked it up for me.

Just one thing I've noticed with these three films is the lack of the John Barry theme tune during chase sequences. Especially in For Your Eyes Only. john Barry theme + chase = awesome!

Edited by beastmaster at 08:34:32 04-10-2012

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Scurrminator 4 Oct 2012 08:55:31 8,437 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Looper
    9/10 Brilliant film. It does go a bit quiet towards the middle BUT it was so well writen, acted and interesting that it didn't matter.
    The wife loved it too so bonus!

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• Deleted user 4 October 2012 09:02:31
    Scurrminator wrote:
    Looper
    9/10 Brilliant film. It does go a bit quiet towards the middle BUT it was so well writen, acted and interesting that it didn't matter.
    The wife loved it too so bonus!
    Yeah the farm section really dragged.
  • Scurrminator 4 Oct 2012 09:25:41 8,437 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    But without it the film is pointless. You want to see a dragging farm story then watch the 40 episodes of the walking dead season 2 set on the farm.
    This, on the other hand, was great.

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• Lotos8ter 4 Oct 2012 12:15:22 2,361 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Meh, Looper was ok until they introduced that(ending spoilers) irritating scowling kid with his scream of death
    All that scope, Bruce Willis, Levitt and Jeff Daniels, time travel, hoverbikes and they went all Damien on us

Fiat Lux

• Mola_Ram 4 Oct 2012 16:31:52 7,699 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Your Highness

Jesus. That was the worst movie I've seen in a long, long time. What the fuck were they thinking?

2/10
  • ronuds 4 Oct 2012 16:35:54 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You either like Danny McBride or you don't.

I happen to...
  • monkehhh 4 Oct 2012 16:37:11 3,426 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I love Danny McBride, I still think Your Highness was shit.
  • ronuds 4 Oct 2012 16:39:35 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, not his best. I can watch it if there's nothing else on, though.
  • Mola_Ram 4 Oct 2012 16:43:43 7,699 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've liked other things he's been in. Loved Pinapple Express, which involved a few of the same people.

But god damn. Your Highness was almost nothing but gay panic jokes. LOL, TWO DUDES. DOING IT. OH GOD MY SIDES.

Did it sound funnier to them when they were writing it? I guess it must have.
  • ronuds 4 Oct 2012 16:50:57 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    He wasn't the main character in PE and didn't seem to be involved other than his role. The stuff he has more involvement in -- like Your Highness, which he wrote and produced -- is usually much more OTT.
  • Mola_Ram 4 Oct 2012 16:57:22 7,699 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I also liked him in The Foot Fist Way. And I've seen a few episodes of Eastbound & Down, which I enjoyed. That enough? You don't have to agree that Your Highness was shit, but it's not a result of some ingrained dislike that I have for Danny McBride's work.

Not that it really matters anyway, but yeah. I want my time back. There was barely a single chuckle.
  • ronuds 4 Oct 2012 17:00:48 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ha! I wasn't trying to argue against Your Highness being shit or that you like him in other things.

I guess I just wanted to talk about Danny McBride more. Sorry.
  • monkehhh 4 Oct 2012 17:05:28 3,426 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Natalie Portman's arse helps.

First season of Eastbound and Down is brilliant, especially when watched as a long movie :)
  • MightyMetalMonkey 4 Oct 2012 17:15:13 600 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Pirates in an adventure with scientists - 63.25 %

I'm probably a bit older than their target audience. I think that all the best jokes were pretty much in the trailer...
  • Deleted user 4 October 2012 19:02:55
    Yeah Your highness was shit. I loved Pineapple express, and a few other bits and bobs they are all involved in. But YH was terrible.

Except for the what a coincidence, i was just about to finish thinking about you gag. and that was at the very end of the film. probably the last lines.

Edited by joelstinton at 19:03:11 04-10-2012
  • beastmaster 5 Oct 2012 01:22:33 11,616 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just got back from evening 1 of Grimmfest. Seen 3 very different horror films. Too tired to review them now. But I saw Comedown (a world premiere no less), Cockney's vs Zombies and the delightfully titled Some Guy Who Kills People.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• SYS64738 5 Oct 2012 01:23:28 1,687 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dredd 3D

Brilliant action flick with proper gore for a change. Nice. Best 3D implemented in a movie I've seen so far, it complimented the film rather than being a gimmick. Will so get this on BD.

Only criticism (which is being really nitpicky now) is the way the setting was quite restricted to the building, would've loved to see more of the city, really liked the art style.

9/10

PSN: SYS64738_UK

• mrpon 5 Oct 2012 09:31:46 29,196 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Grey (US Netflix)

Alive without the buttock eating, sums this up in nutshell. Suitably bleak and depressing with the occasional nod to Rambo. Couldn't be doing with Liams grotty, stubby fingers either.

7/10

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• boo 5 Oct 2012 09:50:13 11,840 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Your Highness

Jesus. That was the worst movie I've seen in a long, long time. What the fuck were they thinking?

2/10
    /is intrigued
    /reads Wikipedia entry

"For a few hours after having seen Your Highness, I considered the possibility that it was the worst movie ever made."

£3.75 on Amazon

/purchases

Just Another Lego Blog

• sirtacos 5 Oct 2012 09:55:06 7,317 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Looper

I like how JGL nailed Bruce Willis' mannerisms. Makeup department did a good job with his face too. I liked the dystopian future the film depicted, where time travel exists but people still live in shitty council estates and drive old cars with ghetto solar panels taped to the bonnet.
    The basic plot was quite clever, too. But that's about it. Otherwise it's a decent pew pew thriller, I guess.

6.5/10
  • Gartt 5 Oct 2012 10:23:55 1,782 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ill Manors - 6.5/10

Not normally a fan of the "urban drama" as most of them are complete trash, this is a very decent film. An impressive debut from Ben Drew, certainly has some talent behind the camera. Its very slick and definitely has style. It is hard to give a shit about any of the characters though as most of them are thoroughly unlikable.

It could have done with with some more time in the editing room, its probably 20-30 minutes too long and gets bogged down with too many story strands. It also loses its focus after a solid first hour, but it has a fantastic soundtrack (all relative of course as you have to like Plan B's music in the first place).
    I also really liked the idea of having the story narrated through the rapping. Its not overused, but enough to make you look forward to the next little vignette.

Worth a look.

Edited by Gartt at 10:24:28 05-10-2012
  • MrE26 5 Oct 2012 11:33:03 1,960 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Taken 2. 6/10

First was throwaway rubbish elevated by Neeson being cooler than fuck while beating everyone in sight to death. This is basically a carbon copy but without the cool lines & with the violence toned down to a confusing, 12A rated blur. Not horrible, & it passes 90 minutes well enough, but kinda misses the point of why the original was so popular.

Edited by MrE26 at 11:33:30 05-10-2012
  • Tonka 5 Oct 2012 12:00:14 20,809 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    sirtacos wrote:
    Looper

I like how JGL nailed Bruce Willis
    I was going to see this in the cinema but now I think I'll wait untill I can watch t alone... with some tissues.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Page

of 2801 First / Last