• GarlVinland 4 Dec 2017 10:35:28 2,297 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone seen The Disaster Artist?
  • ModoX 4 Dec 2017 12:12:01 2,923 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Jim & Andy - 8/10

Netflix doc using previously unseen behind the scenes footage of Jim Carrey playing Andy Kaufman and going super method about it. Also interviewing Jim Carrey now as he looks back on it. Really fascinating stuff about acting and identity and so on. Sometimes Carrey comes across like he's profoundly realising a very obvious thing, and sometimes he just seems like a privileged ass, but it's great nonetheless.

I had never seen the film, nor even knew who Andy Kaufman was, so you don't need any prior connection to enjoy this.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 4 Dec 2017 12:18:49 11,363 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    You should watch the film, it's very good.
  • Jyzzy-Z 4 Dec 2017 12:19:40 2,366 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Jim Carrey's rant at the end about the universe and stuff was interesting. He comes across as a complete loon at times, especially how far he was pushing Jerry Lawler

Good documentary though.
  • Jyzzy-Z 4 Dec 2017 12:20:04 2,366 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    You should watch the film, it's very good.
    Seconded, especially if you've seen the doc now
  • ModoX 4 Dec 2017 12:54:50 2,923 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    We thought about it but it had rough reviews so we didn't bother. Will be far more likely to if I ever get the chance though now.
  • Bambot 4 Dec 2017 12:56:02 865 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The Farthest, 10/10 - utterly stunning documentary about the Voyager probes and the team who made them, saw it last night at the Irish Film Festival in London (Irish team made the film), followed by a Q&A with the director and Dara O'Briain. Second time seeing this film, makes me well up when they show the first ever shots of the Saturn approach every time. Just stunning - the director of photography shot some gorgeous imagery to tie it all together, and the interviews with the Voyager team are so human and compelling. Loved it.

Also:

MAZE, 7/10 - also at the IFF, about the IRA hunger strikes and rioting at the Maze prison. Powerful movie, but I don't know enough about what really happened to know how many liberties were taken. There was also a Q&A but it was spoiled somewhat by IRA sympathisers in the audience shouting "YOU WERE UNFAIR TO THE IRA" or somesuch throughout. Good film though.
  • Tonka 4 Dec 2017 13:07:41 26,601 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've rewatched all the Star Wars films with my kids (first time they see them)

By all I mean
    A new hope : I'm not a fan tbh
    Empire strikes back: Surprisingly good
    Return of the Jedi: Guilty pleassure

Stray observations:. Ep IV suffers the most from the added scenes. Every single added or "enhanced" scene is an affront to humanity. That goes for all films but IV just gets bogged down. I guess I can stand entertainment containing assholes (yes, Harrison Ford is an asshole). Millenium Falcon is the coolest spaceship of the forever. AT-ATs are the coolest sci-fi land vehicles ever. They are also wildly ineffective troop transports.
  • foster2007 4 Dec 2017 13:20:48 229 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    At The Devils Door - 27/100
  • retro74 4 Dec 2017 13:23:11 2,100 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Tonka :) Empire is surprisingly good? why was it a surprise? It's been around for a while

I've come to the conclusion over the last few years that RotJ is my favourite, it might not be the "best" per se but it's the one I enjoy watching the most
  • Tonka 4 Dec 2017 13:33:45 26,601 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @retro74 It's been a really long time since I was Empire Strikes Back. I knew it's considered the best of the three, and I agree, but I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

Especially after finding A New Hope a bit dull. I was prepared for finding out that they all had lost their lustre. The whole Hoth section is awesome. Some much cool shit happening.

Yoda is great, Cloud city is cool and the "I am your great great uncle!" reveal is rather swish.

RotJ is more of a funhouse ride but one I thoroughly enjoy.
  • Bambot 4 Dec 2017 13:35:03 865 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The death star run in IV though, come on.
  • Tonka 4 Dec 2017 13:41:39 26,601 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    You're right. I'll give you that. Especially the way Darth Vader twiddles his steering wheel mechanism.
  • Bambot 4 Dec 2017 13:47:32 865 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    "I have you now."
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 4 Dec 2017 13:51:32 11,363 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    "WHAAAT"
  • Bambot 4 Dec 2017 13:54:11 865 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    "IT CAME FROM... BEHIND!"
  • mrpon 4 Dec 2017 13:54:24 33,787 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    His steering wheel came loose apparently and he was tightening it not realising they were filming. George loved it so they kept it in.
  • Bambot 4 Dec 2017 13:57:09 865 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    "His computer's off... Luke, you switched off your targeting computer, what's wrong?"

I'm telling you, all the best lines in the death star trench run.
  • Bionic_Pixel 4 Dec 2017 16:41:25 101 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    The Forest
    4/10

House at the End of the Street
    5/10

Two average horror films. The Forest contains hair-raising moments and little else, while House at the End of the Street contains a decent enough cast including Jennifer Lawrence. This does include Max Thieriot, who likes to over act during the times he is requested to act mental, the moment anyone attempts to discover what’s going on in the house. As for The Forest, what fuck was that about?
  • Zerobob 4 Dec 2017 16:46:22 1,993 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bambot wrote:
    The death star run in IV though, come on.
    I was watching The Dambusters yesterday afternoon. Surprisingly similar scenes.
  • nickthegun 4 Dec 2017 16:51:50 72,030 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It was a deliberate homage/rip off. Lucas even snuck in a few lines of dialogue from it.
  • Bambot 4 Dec 2017 17:14:16 865 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Bionic_Pixel wrote:
    The Forest
    4/10

5/10

Two average horror films. The Forest contains hair-raising moments and little else, while House at the End of the Street contains a decent enough cast including Jennifer Lawrence. This does include Max Thieriot, who likes to over act during the times he is requested to act mental, the moment anyone attempts to discover what’s going on in the house. As for The Forest, what fuck was that about?
    Hair-raising moments and little else, I heard.
  • Bionic_Pixel 4 Dec 2017 17:44:04 101 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Bambot wrote:
    Bionic_Pixel wrote:
    The Forest
    4/10

5/10

Hair-raising moments and little else, I heard.
    The film should have come bundled with atleast 3 pairs of throwaway pants. Faces turning demonic, people rushing towards the screen. Too bad they forgot to include a story.
  • askew 4 Dec 2017 18:17:54 15,646 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Is that the Natalie Dormer in Japan’s Suicide Forest film?
  • Bionic_Pixel 4 Dec 2017 19:26:36 101 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    askew wrote:
    Is that the Natalie Dormer in Japan’s Suicide Forest film?
    That's the one. Dormer is ok, no A lister.
  • Zerobob 4 Dec 2017 19:40:33 1,993 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @nickthegun Yeah I was aware of Lucas borrowing from The Dam Busters (such as "Leader", as in Rogue Leader) and other war films of the same era. He even used dogfight footage from these films as early "stand in" footage while editing Star Wars.

Even the concept of dropping a bomb at just the right moment after a treacherous, low-flying run is exactly the same in both films. I think I like the sequences in The Dam Busters more though because of the charm of WWII (for want of a better word) apart from the terrible early CGI, which takes you straight out of the film.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 4 Dec 2017 19:43:47 11,363 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm pretty sure Dam Busters didn't have cgi in it.
  • Load_2.0 4 Dec 2017 19:56:41 25,855 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    CGI was 1000 times better in Star Wars compared to Dam Busters.

But they had lasers so I guess that helped.
  • Zerobob 4 Dec 2017 19:57:25 1,993 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Decks The Nazi anti-aircraft fire was white dots added afterwards. That's all I was referring to.
  • Addy_B 4 Dec 2017 19:59:20 2,060 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Decks wrote:
    I'm pretty sure Dam Busters didn't have cgi in it.
    You're getting mixed up with Dental Dam Busters.
  • Page

of 3592 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.