Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 3568

• Page

of 3587 First / Last

• Jeepers 4 Oct 2017 17:33:33 16,377 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The prequels started with tedious exposition about intergalactic tax disputes. And that was a high point.

TFA shits all over those films.
  • Dougs 4 Oct 2017 17:33:52 83,738 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    And the conversation reminds me... Watched an episode of Toast and Daisy Ridley showed up!
  • bad09 4 Oct 2017 17:41:02 8,007 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @You-can-call-me-kal

I can see why some don't like it but like I said I quite like the realistic look it gives. It certainly is excellent for cgi heavy films. Not experienced any artifacts on my sony TV but as I said I don't like it on everything. Watching The Godfather in UHD like I was actually tthere was quite distracting.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 4 Oct 2017 17:45:07 9,888 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I honestly don't think I've ever seen anyone say they like the soap opera effect before, and it being 'excellent' for CGI is something I've never seen mentioned by AV heads. But again, to each their own.
  • Technoishmatt 4 Oct 2017 17:57:19 2,073 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    You are all wrong about TFA / Star Wars. I am right, as well as those people that have the same opinion.
  • JamboWayOh 4 Oct 2017 17:59:26 3,317 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's known fact, that without a doubt that the prequels, especially episode 2,contained some of the best filmed dialogue. Ever.
  • bad09 4 Oct 2017 18:04:12 8,007 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @You-can-call-me-kal

There those of us that like it and anyone at home i showed it to were quite amazed. It really is good for CGI heavy, watched 2012 using it the other weekend and Christ it was exhilarating to watch the destruction and the star wars films looked incredible as I mentioned.

There are different settings on mine and i just use standard rather than at full whack (called smooth on my telly). I have read on forum where people were debating motionflow that the tech used to be really rubbish but it apparently has improved in recent years.
  • Your-Mother 4 Oct 2017 18:07:35 734 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    It hasn't improved at all beyond introducing a little less latency. It's the equivalent of watching at the wrong aspect ratio and then saying "well I prefer it because it fits all the screen". Even the two films that were shot with it in mind look like garbage.
  • Dougs 4 Oct 2017 18:13:28 83,738 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Jeepers wrote:
    The prequels started with tedious exposition about intergalactic tax disputes. And that was a high point.

TFA shits all over those films.
    Don't forget the tedious and cringey romance.
  • Dougs 4 Oct 2017 18:14:56 83,738 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @bad09 what telly, btw?
  • JoelStinty 4 Oct 2017 18:27:14 5,826 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Phantom Menance was basil exposition the movie. The premise has potential but they were pretty turgid films.

Which reminds me I need to rewatch the Austin powers movies sometime.
  • bad09 4 Oct 2017 18:32:03 8,007 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Dougs

Sony Bravia KD49XD8088. Lovely android telly. :D

Edited by bad09 at 18:32:40 04-10-2017
  • Khanivor 4 Oct 2017 19:08:40 43,361 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I can't be the only person who thought one of the aspects about TFA that made it seem slightly un-Star Wars was how good the acting in it was!
  • bad09 4 Oct 2017 19:52:18 8,007 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Khanivor

Good acting? Ford phoned it in almost bored at times, Daisy Ridley was terrible...just...just....terrible. Fisher had had way too much coke to act again, Kylo Ren dude was a miscasting error of epic proportions. Even that silver stormtrooper that was a supposedly big deal in the hype sounded more wooden than a tree.

Boyega and Isaac were the only two that made it bearable.

Edited by bad09 at 19:55:43 04-10-2017
  • Your-Mother 4 Oct 2017 19:53:51 734 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Also they moved around like they were on a soap opera set or something, very off putting.

Edited by Your-Mother at 20:00:21 04-10-2017
  • sport 4 Oct 2017 19:55:32 13,982 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    TFA is literally the Salt of Star Wars.
  • Technoishmatt 4 Oct 2017 20:21:06 2,073 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @bad09 Jeez, have you seen Mark Hamill in the OT? TFA had at worst the same level of acting as the OT. I personally thought they all did very well. Han Solo is an old man now, his performance fit. I liked Kylo Ren. Daisy was great.

Maybe the motion flow was putting you off?

Edited by Technoishmatt at 20:21:41 04-10-2017
  • Bambot 4 Oct 2017 21:14:39 838 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    @Khanivor

Good acting? Ford phoned it in almost bored at times, Daisy Ridley was terrible...just...just....terrible. Fisher had had way too much coke to act again, Kylo Ren dude was a miscasting error of epic proportions. Even that silver stormtrooper that was a supposedly big deal in the hype sounded more wooden than a tree.

Yeah this is pretty much how I feel trying to watch it again. Daisy Ridley in particular is just *awful*. How do people like that land major hollywood movie roles?!
  • bad09 4 Oct 2017 21:35:36 8,007 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Bambot

It's like when Sam Worthington was suddenly an action hero or the aliens that made Melissa McCarthy funny. How the the fuck does this happen?

In all seriousness I cannot fathom how she got the part. Utterly awful and really distracting. I believe even JJ said she was wooden in filming if teh internet is to be believed.

Edited by bad09 at 21:44:11 04-10-2017
  • GrandpaUlrira 4 Oct 2017 21:59:56 3,794 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Kingsman: The Golden Circle. 3/10.

The rare sequel that actually diminishes the original. A very strange mess where little of the humour lands and most characters are too cartoonish to bear through an entire film. Mark Strong did a great job with what he was given, and had one of the rare moments in the film that worked.
  • riceNpea 4 Oct 2017 22:31:35 928 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @bad09 i actually enjoyed her in Spy with Jason Statham. In fact I may as well give it a score 75/100

Funny most of the way through, Jason surprisingly so. Loved his oneupmanship.
  • thelzdking 4 Oct 2017 23:05:45 6,351 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't really care about all of the inconsistencies in TFA because I've not got a terminal case of nerd. I did think the story re-hashing ANH was lazy and cowardly, although I understand why they did it.

I thought we were going to see the post-Empire Star Wars, but nothing has actually changed. You have what is basically the Empire with a deathstar versus the Rebels who have about twenty ships, and a newbie Jedi fighting against an indecisive man in a plastic mask.
  • beastmaster 4 Oct 2017 23:12:46 17,570 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    GrandpaUlrira wrote:
    Kingsman: The Golden Circle. 3/10.

The rare sequel that actually diminishes the original. A very strange mess where little of the humour lands and most characters are too cartoonish to bear through an entire film. Mark Strong did a great job with what he was given, and had one of the rare moments in the film that worked.
    Hmm...don't even know if I'll bother. Not bothered with the latest Transformers or Pirates film as of yet either. They probably are all over two and a half hours in length each as well. Don't mind long films, just mods which are shit.
  • Youthist 4 Oct 2017 23:23:11 12,858 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    I don't really care about all of the inconsistencies in TFA because I've not got a terminal case of nerd. I did think the story re-hashing ANH was lazy and cowardly, although I understand why they did it.

I thought we were going to see the post-Empire Star Wars, but nothing has actually changed. You have what is basically the Empire with a deathstar versus the Rebels who have about twenty ships, and a newbie Jedi fighting against an indecisive man in a plastic mask.
    Correct. Exactly what everyone wanted basically.
  • riceNpea 4 Oct 2017 23:25:38 928 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Youthist not i. I was honestly expecting a sequel not a reboot but that's my problem. As a reboot it was ok, I just wish they sold it that way and didn't pretend it was something else.
  • Mr_Sleep 4 Oct 2017 23:32:55 21,310 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Just heading home from my first film of the London Film Festival. Went to see Summit. A rather odd film about a trans national oil deal across the whole of South America. Quite a slow burner but I really enjoyed it. Hopefully it will get some kind of distribution.

Best film I saw last year didn't make it to much if any of a release over here. If Nocturama turns up on any services then watch it.
  • ChiefGB 4 Oct 2017 23:42:12 7,287 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    @Khanivor

I thought ford was fantastic in it, best he's been in decades. Finally looked like he was having some fun with it.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 4 Oct 2017 23:43:57 4,663 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Logan

X-Men universe gets edgy with blood and swearing. It's fine, probably the fourth best X-Men film, but it didn't really live up to what I had been led to expect.

I think the lack of a great villain is what hurts it most. Not every superhero film needs the entire city being destroyed but after how effective Stryker was in X2 and Magneto has been in his different incarnations or the Hellfire Club in First Class there just wasn't any spark in this one.

A nice change of pace but the X-films are absolutely all over the place at the moment with no real tonal or narrative consistency it's hard to feel like this is part of the same universe. Aside from it telling the same basic weapon x tale we've heard before.

7/10
  • riceNpea 5 Oct 2017 00:00:38 928 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh I really enjoyed Logan. It worked as a Marvel film and was easily the best stand alone film in that universe. It had real pathos and I found it moving to say goodbye to two of the best portrayed characters in Logan and Xavior. Old Picard played Xavior's decline beautifully, with such vulnerability. His death had more meaning than any other in all the Marvel films made except one. Logan's. I could feel how tired he was living, it was a death that I could empathise with, and that moment he shared with the girl before he died was so poignant. After the life he'd led it was probably the best death he cpuld be wished for and I was glad in a way for him.

It was exactly the kind of film the Marvel universe needed to add weight to its catalogue, show a different, more human side to its superhuman extravaganzas and prove they understand their material from all angles.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 5 Oct 2017 00:17:57 4,663 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I didn't feel Xavier's story and personal journey the way I did Wolverine's. Jackman was terrific portraying his weariness with life. Is it weird that it reminded me more of Walter White's downward spiral in final seasons of Breaking Bad than anything else in the superhero genre? Maybe its the desert setting but it was there.

Agree that the X-Men universe needed some emotional grounding after the paper thin cgi mess of Apocalypse (and to a less extent the finale of Days of Future Past.

I just wish that there was something else in the narrative for them to struggle against beside their own decline and the watered down version of the same villain we've had before. Unless that was part of the meta-narrative, that Logan will never escape men like Stryker or projects like Weapon-X and this cycle is what drives his physical and mental exhaustion.
  • Page

of 3587 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.