• Page

of 130 First / Last

• Chopsen 18 Oct 2010 14:37:09 15,980 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ryandsimmons wrote:
    It actually is very easy.
    It is just the rules are laid out unbelievably bad

I think we've had this conversation before :)
  • Onny 18 Oct 2010 15:13:12 5,697 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    KingOfSpain wrote:
    I've just been thinking...I had 5 other players round the table this week for BSG and I was going to introduce them to Pandemic, but, it's only a 4 player game.

Does anyone else know of anything similer but with 6 players, or even any good 6 player games?

BGG is a pretty much invaluable resource for all things board-gamey. Have a look on there and see if anything takes your fancy.

Also, the Newcomer-Friendly Boardgame Thread over at NeoGAF is a superb place to look for an introduction. The opening posts have great suggestions in many different game categories (such as "Gateway Games", "Party Games", "Co-op Games", etc).
  • TenMinJoe 18 Oct 2010 15:55:35 74 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Seconded re BoardGameGeek, it's awesome. It has a fantastic uber-detailed geeky search thing, so you can go "I want a game for 3-5 players, with resource management, set in space, that I can play in 2 hours", or whatever it is you want.
  • KingOfSpain 18 Oct 2010 16:12:13 5,187 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Onny wrote:
    KingOfSpain wrote:
    I've just been thinking...I had 5 other players round the table this week for BSG and I was going to introduce them to Pandemic, but, it's only a 4 player game.

Does anyone else know of anything similer but with 6 players, or even any good 6 player games?

BGG is a pretty much invaluable resource for all things board-gamey. Have a look on there and see if anything takes your fancy.

Also, the Newcomer-Friendly Boardgame Thread over at NeoGAF is a superb place to look for an introduction. The opening posts have great suggestions in many different game categories (such as "Gateway Games", "Party Games", "Co-op Games", etc).

Thanks for the links Onny, I already knew about BGG but that GAF thread looks interesting.
  • MisterFalseName 18 Oct 2010 16:24:02 988 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    KingOfSpain - Power Grid, as mentioned previously, is designed for up to six players. Last time I checked it was the third highest rated game on boardgamegeek.

Be warned though, it does come with a bureaucracy round.
  • Tyggen 18 Oct 2010 21:07:56 135 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I played a bit of Power Grid, although with few players, not six, and I must say I was disappointed to find that so highly rated on BGG. The game is very unbalanced, so if someone lags behind in the first one or two turns there will be no chance of catching up.
  • Deleted user 18 October 2010 22:18:02
    I remember playing Hero Quest back in the day, really good fun.

I also had a horror boardgame called Atmosphere, pretty menacing when your a youngster.
  • beastmaster 18 Oct 2010 22:37:03 11,414 posts
    Seen 28 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I used to love The Fastest Gun when I were a lad.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• MisterFalseName 18 Oct 2010 23:02:11 988 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tyggen - I disagree with that, having played it a few times. In fact, if anything it sometimes help to deliberately hold back at first, so you get first dibs on the cheap energy. Seen people surge from behind on a few occasions now. :)
  • Tyggen 19 Oct 2010 06:48:49 135 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, it's probably more balanced with more people, I only played it with 2-3 players. I could not possibly recommend it if your gaming circle is that small though :)

Also, Hero Quest was fantastic. I spent months designing new dungeons and new monsters for that game when we first got it, which introduced me to Warhammer and its offspring.
  • TenMinJoe 19 Oct 2010 08:00:10 74 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    HeroQuest is even more fun if you get hold of the American rules (available online somewhere). They give some of the big bad-ass boss monsters multiple hit-points, whereas in the European edition of the rules they go down just as easily as a goblin.
  • dancingrob 19 Oct 2010 14:49:27 1,170 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Tyggen - I also disagree. If someone is out of it after just two turns, something has gone severely wrong. The game is well designed to allow people to catch up easily with the switching of turn order every turn making it quite easy to recover from a poor early game position.

it's when you get to the 2nd era, with people getting locked out of nearby cities that things start to get cut-throat.

Power Grid isn't one I'd recommend for total newbies, but it's one of my favourites.

• RyanDS 19 Oct 2010 14:59:41 9,356 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tonight I am introducing Arkham Horror to a few mates. (Who all play quite a lot of boardgames.) It'll be interesting to see how quickly people pick it up.
  • phAge 19 Oct 2010 15:03:47 24,371 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've got a copy of the latest edition of Space Hulk sitting under my sofa - even gone to the trouble of painting up all the termies (rather nicely if I do say so myself).

Think I've played maybe 3 games, because all my mates would rather play FIFA or drink beer and talk about their jobs or sweet new pants/jackets/girlfriends.

/nerd-crywank
  • KingOfSpain 19 Oct 2010 15:08:01 5,187 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm having a big Space Hulk/FIFA 11 night on Friday with my brother. I'll be amazed if we actually get around to FIFA :)
  • phAge 19 Oct 2010 15:17:55 24,371 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bast. :)

Oh, one of the reasons I don't play boardgames very often is because the few boardgame-interested mates I have (including my own brother) are all powergamers to the max. This means doing anything and everything in their power to win, including disregarding the spirit of the game completely, taking eons making decisions, or even interpreting rules oddly if it provides them with an advantage.

It's ruined Descent (the boardgame), Space Hulk, and Space Alert (to a degree). Also, my brother is the sorest loser in the known universe, which makes gaming of any kind rather difficult. Too bad, really, because I very much enjoy a bit of boardgame action.
  • KingOfSpain 19 Oct 2010 15:33:11 5,187 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My brother can get a bit like that but he's not as bad you've made yours sound!!

We were playing BSG on Friday night and the President had to choose a player to throw in the brig. He already knew that another player and myself weren't Cylons so the choice was between my brother (who as the Admiral) and a 6th player. It was a toss up really. Either one of them could have been Cylons. After 30 minutes of quite heated debate the President decided it should be my brother because he was the Admiral and I would inherit the title and he knew I wasn't a cylon.

To me this made perfect sense. By choosing my brother, the President made sure that the Admiral was human. If he had gone fore the other player this wouldn't have been the case.

Anyway, my brother started to have a proper go! Shouting at the President "YOU WILL REGRET THIS!!!" and accusing him of ruining the game!!

It left a rather bitter taste in everyone's mouth. It was only a game and someone had to be thrown in the brig!

(In the end, it turned out that I was a sleeper agent!!)
  • phAge 19 Oct 2010 15:40:48 24,371 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    KingOfSpain wrote:
    My brother can get a bit like that but he's not as bad you've made yours sound!!

We were playing BSG on Friday night and the President had to choose a player to throw in the brig. He already knew that another player and myself weren't Cylons so the choice was between my brother (who as the Admiral) and a 6th player. It was a toss up really. Either one of them could have been Cylons. After 30 minutes of quite heated debate the President decided it should be my brother because he was the Admiral and I would inherit the title and he knew I wasn't a cylon.

To me this made perfect sense. By choosing my brother, the President made sure that the Admiral was human. If he had gone fore the other player this wouldn't have been the case.

Anyway, my brother started to have a proper go! Shouting at the President "YOU WILL REGRET THIS!!!" and accusing him of ruining the game!!

It left a rather bitter taste in everyone's mouth. It was only a game and someone had to be thrown in the brig!

(In the end, it turned out that I was a sleeper agent!!)
    Heh - sounds a lot like something my brother would do! We've stopped playing Settlers since an... episode... this summer, where he threw a tantrum because I "tricked the other players" (our two girlfriends) into ganging up against him, after which he insisted that I was cheating because I "talked so much" during the game. He was 1 point short of winning, and had won 2 out of 3 previous games...

He also goes completely apeshit when we're playing co-op, and someone does something less than ideal - makes stuff like Descent and Space Alert a lot less fun. It all boils down to him not accepting mistakes from neither himself or others - which (for me) is a big part of having fun with any kind of game. Oh well - brothers, eh?

• S.J.Rogers 19 Oct 2010 15:44:44 3,557 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ryandsimmons wrote:
    Tonight I am introducing Arkham Horror to a few mates. (Who all play quite a lot of boardgames.) It'll be interesting to see how quickly people pick it up.

Can i come along..? :-)

I would love a boardgame evening...
  • KingOfSpain 19 Oct 2010 15:45:52 5,187 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    We should have a big EG board game Geek Meet and not invite either of our brothers!!

:)
  • phAge 19 Oct 2010 15:46:55 24,371 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Definitely! :)
  • S.J.Rogers 19 Oct 2010 15:49:44 3,557 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I am UP for that...

All welcome to mine... :-)
  • RyanDS 19 Oct 2010 15:50:50 9,356 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    #d be up for a London boardgames meet.

Know a few decent pubs around as well.

S.J.Rogers, would be tempted if you were in London, but tonight is also "roll up new D&D characters night" so it's a bit of a closed shop really.
  • KingOfSpain 19 Oct 2010 15:52:20 5,187 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LONDON LONDON LONDON!!!

Why's everything always down in bloody London?

:(
  • S.J.Rogers 19 Oct 2010 15:52:20 3,557 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @ryandsimmons

Thanks anyway...

I am down in Dorset, so it would be a bit of a treck. :-)
  • S.J.Rogers 19 Oct 2010 15:53:46 3,557 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I may set up the EG Dorset, Boardgaming club. But i fear i may be the only member...
  • phAge 19 Oct 2010 15:55:22 24,371 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ryandsimmons wrote:

S.J.Rogers, would be tempted if you were in London, but tonight is also "roll up new D&D characters night" so it's a bit of a closed shop really.
    Re: D&D/RPGs - I'm not saying I want to play D&D (haven't really got the time), but I *would* like to play some games that rely more on immersion and, well, roleplaying (to an extent). Only trouble is that in my neck of the woods, the only people up for that are horrible, horrible nerds with zero social skills and more than a few... issues.

Where do you find people who are geeky enough to play D&D-ish games, but still capable of acting like ordinary human beings?
  • KingOfSpain 19 Oct 2010 15:59:52 5,187 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    PnP RPGs have never really interested me, mainly I think it's settings that puts me off. The Warhammer 40k Rogue Trader RPG looks interesting but I'm quite sure that my mates would find any kind of tabletop RPG a step too far into the world of geek. (although, I thought they wouldn't enjoy the idea of the BSG board game either, but they all loved it)
  • RyanDS 19 Oct 2010 16:02:25 9,356 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    ryandsimmons wrote:

Re: D&D/RPGs - I'm not saying I want to play D&D (haven't really got the time), but I *would* like to play some games that rely more on immersion and, well, roleplaying (to an extent). Only trouble is that in my neck of the woods, the only people up for that are horrible, horrible nerds with zero social skills and more than a few... issues.

Where do you find people who are geeky enough to play D&D-ish games, but still capable of acting like ordinary human beings?

We started playing 10 years ago, through the Orcs Nest forums.

Then through telling some people that they had no social skills and we couldn't stand to be around them we whittled the group down and replaced people.

Now 10 years later we are great friends, been best man at each others weddings etc. It did take 2 odd years though to get the right group.
  • markh 19 Oct 2010 16:20:29 3,598 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ryandsimmons wrote:

Good luck!

We had an 8 player game of Arkham Horror one Bank Holiday Monday. It took about 8 hours and once we got to the end only one person could actually damage the ancient one! It was still great though :)

I quite often play 2 or 3 player games of it which you can fit into a few hours if everyone knows the rules.
  • Page

of 130 First / Last