Boardgames anyone? Page 270

• Page

of 274 First / Last

• 1Dgaf 14 Feb 2018 00:19:52 4,974 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Gregolution

The base game is enough, especially since you can't really play without learning the iconography. No need to add complexity. You're basically building a little engine but with a cool theme.

I learned with the physical version, but didn't get to play it often enough (and when I did, I lost). I bought the app as soon as it came out, but even so still needed reminders about how to play.

App and watch a few videos about how to play.
  • Tonka 14 Feb 2018 05:22:56 27,215 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    BearFishPie wrote:
    Hardback turned up today. I've just had a run through the rulebook and am looking forward to having a crack at it soon.
    I'd love to play both Hardback and Paperback. It just feels a bit weird to buy an English word game.

Maybe when the kids get older so I could play it with them as a school exercise.
  • Tonka 14 Feb 2018 06:35:00 27,215 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    Deception is brilliant. One of my most-played social games. Just received the expansion from Kickstarter last week.
    The problem for me is that it requires a larger group. The other games I tend to like are all 4-5 player affairs. Deception seems to get good starting at 5 and be at it's best around 7-8.

I guess I should get Peloton for Flamme Rouge and Deception and then I could have some cool five player evenings. More than five just seems a bit excessive to me.
  • phAge 14 Feb 2018 07:31:20 25,402 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    phAge wrote:
    Deception is brilliant. One of my most-played social games. Just received the expansion from Kickstarter last week.
    The problem for me is that it requires a larger group. The other games I tend to like are all 4-5 player affairs. Deception seems to get good starting at 5 and be at it's best around 7-8.
    This is true (even if it goes for most social deduction games I know of) - but IMO still very good at 5.
  • Tonka 14 Feb 2018 07:54:39 27,215 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Great news. I might just pick it up during lunch. I need to buy some champagne anyway seeing as it's valentines.
  • Gregolution 14 Feb 2018 08:19:46 8,809 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hmmmmm. Race for the galaxy and Fire and ice mystica expansion is on the menu today. I'm in the mood!
  • Tonka 14 Feb 2018 08:37:11 27,215 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I thought Roll for the Galaxy was the better game.
  • Gregolution 14 Feb 2018 09:34:24 8,809 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm not a fan of dice really.

However... I am now wondering if I should just buy the app. I could play the game and not have to take up any space in the house.

Terrible thing to say in a board gaming chat but....
  • phAge 14 Feb 2018 09:35:39 25,402 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
  • Gregolution 14 Feb 2018 09:50:08 8,809 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    hehe
  • Tonka 14 Feb 2018 09:51:48 27,215 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    It depends on the implementation. Roll of a dice or draw of a card. It can be the same. What I don't like is battles decided by dice so a series of bad rolls can crush you despite careful mustering of troops etc.

Castles of Burgundy had a very good dice implementation and Roll for the Galaxy is supposedly superb.

I just want some use for my fancy 3D printed dicetower. Sagrada would be perfect since it's drafting from a communal pool. In RftG each player would have to have their own tower which is a bit excessive.

111 dice though... with custom faces... teeeempting. Very tempting.
  • Gregolution 14 Feb 2018 09:56:03 8,809 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Gregolution wrote:
    What I don't like is battles decided by dice so a series of bad rolls can crush you despite careful mustering of troops etc.

Exactly
  • StarchildHypocrethes 14 Feb 2018 10:00:46 31,019 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    On the flip side, I actually prefer dice or something similar for combat / event resolution etc. I just find completely deterministic systems a bit dull. Life is always a bit random and surprising.
  • phAge 14 Feb 2018 10:06:07 25,402 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    On the flip side, I actually prefer dice or something similar for combat / event resolution etc. I just find completely deterministic systems a bit dull. Life is always a bit random and surprising.
    This. I know some people like boardgames to be puzzles to be solved, but I prefer a bit of randomness, so you don't feel like you have to figure out every single angle before acting, as the dice/card gods also have something to say.

Then again, while I enjoy winning, it isn't crucial to me having a good time when gaming.
  • rice_sandwich 14 Feb 2018 10:14:22 3,947 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Many dice games are about playing the odds as there's usually some sort of modifiers, player powers or other adjustments in play. I like dice drafting games a lot as they give the player a lot of control and choices. Catan is an example of a game with dice that I absolutely hate. I really don't like it when it something like you roll a die and get whatever number of resources it says.

I like Conflict of Heroes quite a bit and random dice rolling is intergral to the experience. It is mitigated by the fact that it's difficult to hit enemy units, and the fact that you still have to pull a chit to see the hit effect (supressed, pinned, etc.)

Edited by rice_sandwich at 10:15:36 14-02-2018
  • Gregolution 14 Feb 2018 10:15:18 8,809 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Last points are totally fair. I dont begrudge people preferring the other side of the coin. I just am of the side that prefers a game creating puzzles for me and figuring out how solve it.

That's why for me, my favourites are

Gloomhaven.
    Spirit island
    Terra Mystica
    Even Dragonfire! This has plenty of randomisation compared to the rest but you still work out what to do each round deterministically.

Also really looking forward to city of kings for the same reason.

Edited by Gregolution at 10:18:57 14-02-2018
  • BearFishPie 14 Feb 2018 10:21:22 493 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Gregolution I've played an awful lot of Roll, and it's highly enjoyable. Dice rolls are always mitigatable (is that a word?) to a degree, and you can deliberately pick upgrade tiles to help with roll mitigation. For a game about dice rolling, it's surprisingly strategic.

I've not played Race for the Galaxy but have played its streamlined cousin Jump Drive a fair bit now. Going from that, I'd say despite iconography being similar, and ultimately boiling down to tableau building, they play quite distinctly. As such I'm more than happy owning both.
  • phAge 14 Feb 2018 10:23:54 25,402 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm getting more and more fond of games that have a social component to them and require bluffing, deceit and the like. This includes obvious stuff like Deception, Secret Hitler, The Thing, Sheriff of Nottingham etc. but also games like Blood Rage where mind games have a big say in who wins battles.

Never found anyone who would play Conflict of Heroes (Awakening the Bear) with me, and the solo mode is just too fiddly, sadly.
  • Gregolution 14 Feb 2018 10:27:10 8,809 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    I'm getting more and more fond of games that have a social component to them and require bluffing, deceit and the like. This includes obvious stuff like Deception, Secret Hitler, The Thing, Sheriff of Nottingham etc. but also games like Blood Rage where mind games have a big say in who wins battles.
    Me too, but my only one is Dead of Winter. I really love that over the table element. I managed to get someone exiled last game even though she categorically knew 100% it was me that was the traitor, the other 2 players weren't sure which. Was a proper mind game battle!

Also thoroughly enjoy Blood Rage.

phAge wrote:
    Never found anyone who would play Conflict of Heroes (Awakening the Bear) with me, and the solo mode is just too fiddly, sadly.
    Conflict of the Heroes is being re implemented in 40k world this year isn't it? Colour me very interested......
  • BearFishPie 14 Feb 2018 10:27:20 493 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Tonka I'll give some thoughts on Hardback when I've had a couple of plays. The rules make it clear that it's more about getting letter cards to synergise as well as possible, in a Star Realms-y way, whilst still making a legitimate word, than the Scrabble method of best-lexicon-wins.
  • Tonka 14 Feb 2018 10:29:46 27,215 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    Then again, while I enjoy winning, it isn't crucial to me having a good time when gaming.
    I'm definitely the same. To the point where I sometimes think I might be a bad boardgaming partner since I'm really not that competitive.

Dice can make for fun "Oh Snap LOL" moments but so can the battles in Scythe or the racing in Flamme Rouge, neither ow which use dice. Both of which can have unexpected outcomes depending on the deliberate choices of your opponents.

Alas, I'm still a fan of that Space Game I always forget the name of.
  • rice_sandwich 14 Feb 2018 10:32:19 3,947 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @phAge

I think the solo module in Conflict is hugely preferable to the 2 player game. True, it turns it into a puzzle game (which it is anyway despite the theme) but it simplifies the rules in a good way. The best thing about it is not knowing if you or the ai will be able to activate a unit again after using one. I watched a very helpful playthrough of the solo game that cemented the rules for me.
  • phAge 14 Feb 2018 10:35:20 25,402 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Gregolution

I like Dead of Winter, but find it drags on a bit - and winning with traitor mode on seems slightly too hard.

Still, winning (as Hitler) two times in a row in Secret Hitler before Christmas was one of the best gaming experiences I've had in a fair while - excellent, excellent fun!

And CoH in a 40K skin? Where do I sign up?
  • Rhaegyr 14 Feb 2018 10:38:13 4,119 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've got a board game night coming up and there'll be between 8-10 of us.

Is Secret Hitler definitely worth a shout? We're all willing to chip in if the experience is good. Our only other go-to game with 8 is Captain Sonar.

Any other recommendations for big groups more than welcome - I'm sure I've asked this before! The easier to teach the better, too.
  • phAge 14 Feb 2018 11:02:16 25,402 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Secret Hitler is excellent - but need 7+ players to work (is great with 7, though). Very simple, so nothing gets in the way of the mind games.

Nothing beats the rush of convincing someone that you're definitely NOT an evil reptile, and then getting them to hand you the title of Chancellor, only for you to reveal that you were, in fact, Hitler all along... :)

Brought it to my last games night where we ended up doing four consecutive games.
  • Gregolution 14 Feb 2018 11:02:53 8,809 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm so jealous! 8 man board game night must be hilarious.

You should look into that new Dead of Winter game that combines the previous 2. Requires 8 players I believe. Not out yet though
  • phAge 14 Feb 2018 11:03:59 25,402 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    @phAge

I think the solo module in Conflict is hugely preferable to the 2 player game. True, it turns it into a puzzle game (which it is anyway despite the theme) but it simplifies the rules in a good way. The best thing about it is not knowing if you or the ai will be able to activate a unit again after using one. I watched a very helpful playthrough of the solo game that cemented the rules for me.
    Might have to give it a shot again, then. Played a few games against myself (controlling both sides) and the prospect of adding yet another layer of rules on top of the ordinary ones sort of killed it for me.
  • Gregolution 14 Feb 2018 11:09:21 8,809 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @phAge

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/228051/warhammer-40000-heroes-black-reach

that's the game I was talking about earlier.
  • phAge 14 Feb 2018 11:11:57 25,402 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Gregolution

W00t! Is there a preorder up and running somewhere? I see talk of different versions in the forums?
  • Tonka 14 Feb 2018 11:13:39 27,215 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    BearFishPie wrote:
    @Tonka I'll give some thoughts on Hardback when I've had a couple of plays. The rules make it clear that it's more about getting letter cards to synergise as well as possible, in a Star Realms-y way, whilst still making a legitimate word, than the Scrabble method of best-lexicon-wins.
    Sounds great. Looking forward to your thoughts on it.
  • Page

of 274 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.