Boardgames anyone? Page 251

• Page

of 257 First / Last

• rice_sandwich 3 Jan 2018 12:51:08 3,595 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've got 23 unplayed games in my collection (of 53 games) so I should concentrate on getting more of them played this year.
  • Tonka 3 Jan 2018 13:32:09 26,893 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    You made me feel better about myself.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 3 Jan 2018 13:41:01 30,881 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I just bought Scythe with some Xmas money, but the only other game I currently want is Dinosaur Island whenever it finally releases. That'll do me for near future.
  • BearFishPie 3 Jan 2018 15:16:07 467 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @StarchildHypocrethes No wooden Dino-meeples though :(
  • DevilsKebab 3 Jan 2018 17:06:11 704 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Just picked up Professor Evil and the Citadel of Time.
    Watched a play through over the Christmas break and it looked fun, and can be played solo (with two characters).
  • Gregolution 3 Jan 2018 18:05:31 8,697 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DevilsKebab wrote:
    Anyone here going to give the 10 x 10 challenge a try?
    100% yes, I'm doing this. It's great.

I think in general most people (including me) or too obsessed with the next thing instead of enjoying what they have and making the most of them. This challenge encourages me to play and get really into what I have instead of always searching for a new game.

Already started tracking. I'm 2 games of Scythe in, that should be really easy to complete. 1 game of Terraforming Mars solo last night too.

That was my 11th game of Scythe so far and I find it more interesting than I did 5 games ago so hopefully it continues that trend.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 3 Jan 2018 21:21:55 30,881 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Played my first game of Scythe tonight. Was only a 3-player, but I really enjoyed that!

Came second in a 56-51-50 thriller. Ooooooooh.
  • FWB 3 Jan 2018 22:42:08 54,215 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Just finished my first game of Rebellion after three attempts - just ran out of time. This time we set it up in another room and kept coming back to it.

Both made mistakes, but just snatched it at the end as the Rebellions by blowing up the Death Star and a Star Destroyer - make sure you take out those fighters. Really enjoyed it. Very tense in places and you really need to be focused on your objectives - at least as the Rebels. Helped that the Empire player spent too much time doing missions and not spreading out.
  • Gregolution 3 Jan 2018 23:29:09 8,697 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    Played my first game of Scythe tonight. Was only a 3-player, but I really enjoyed that!

Came second in a 56-51-50 thriller. Ooooooooh.
    Nice :).

At the end of my game of scythe today I would have happily played again straight away. I think it does a lot right.
  • DevilsKebab 4 Jan 2018 09:37:53 704 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think the 10x10 is good on two fronts, as you said Gregolution , the cult of the new can be a problem, so playing the same 10 games 10 times each in a year helps get good value out of them.
    And also, by the end of it, it should show if the game is a keeper or not, as after 10 plays if you're sick of it, then time to trade it away.

I also managed to get 'The Thing: Infection at Outpost 31' before Christmas, I'm hoping in the next month to get a full 8 player game of it going

Edited by DevilsKebab at 09:38:04 04-01-2018
  • Gregolution 4 Jan 2018 09:50:22 8,697 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @DevilsKebab

Exactly, well said.

The thing looks brilliant, interested to hear opinion
  • Tonka 4 Jan 2018 09:57:27 26,893 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The Thing does indeed look like a good game.

Does it feature player elimination though?
  • DevilsKebab 4 Jan 2018 10:11:09 704 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I don't believe there is player elimination, you never reveal who's the thing until the very end of the game.
    Also, there is a chance a second player will become a thing during play.

Each mission, the current leader selects only a handful of players to take with him, so the thing player will not always be able to sabotage the current mission.
    But they can then discard the better cards in their hand, when being left in the rec room.

I've read that it's easy enough to fail some missions without sabotage anyway, giving the thing player a bit of leeway.

I guess it'll be down to how good the player is at concealing their ability to sabotage, as with all traitor mechanic games.
  • rice_sandwich 4 Jan 2018 10:11:37 3,595 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I finally learned how to play Robinson Crusoe Adventures on the Cursed Island last night. I have the first edition set in which the rules aren't the best. I downloaded the second edition rules, watched a run through video and now I know how to play, more or less. It's not actually a very complex game at all but the rulebook makes it seem so.
  • Gregolution 4 Jan 2018 11:11:42 8,697 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @rice_sandwich

That's strange, I was starting to learn it yesterday. It's the only unplayed game in my collection. I watched that really annoying Canadian Rodney's how to play video and it bored me to tears. Decided I prefer reading manuals.
  • Tonka 4 Jan 2018 11:26:43 26,893 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    So that's what a Canadian accent sounds like.
    Does anyone know where Tom Vassel is from? (probably his wikipage...)
  • DevilsKebab 4 Jan 2018 11:37:20 704 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Florida I believe
  • Tonka 4 Jan 2018 11:39:20 26,893 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Indeed. Evangelical pastor from Florida.
  • rice_sandwich 4 Jan 2018 11:40:22 3,595 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Wow, Canadian Rodney is very bland. To be fair he's doing a reasonable job of explaining the game.
  • disusedgenius 4 Jan 2018 11:44:26 8,856 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well that is the idea! :)

He seems amiable enough when he does more bloggy type material, but yeah, Watch It Played is purposefully bland and to the point.

Edited by disusedgenius at 11:44:42 04-01-2018
  • Tonka 4 Jan 2018 11:45:08 26,893 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Is it Rodney Smith from Watch it Played? What have you got against him?

I think he makes the best how to plays of them all. And I like his accent.
  • rice_sandwich 4 Jan 2018 11:46:12 3,595 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Nothing really, he just talks in a very monotone kind of way. I had never heard of him before today.
  • Flexible_Feline 4 Jan 2018 12:05:22 47 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah, another thumbs up for Rodney Smith here. And Paul Grogan - these two have the most informative and lucid how to plays I’ve come across.

I got some Plano boxes for Xmas so finally finished sorting Gloomhaven, and played my first game. I’m delighted to say it didn’t disappoint. The cards / action system is the real selling point for me - so much more enjoyable and tense than, say, dice rolls in Imperial Assault. There’s some serious tension as you burn through your deck across the scenario. Really looking forward to playing it again, and possibly mixing some of the x cards into my starter deck (you stuart with both basic level 1 actions, and a set labelled x...you can start with these but it’s recommended you play a couple of times before you seed them in; so much going on here.. this plus further augments to this deck, the combat modifier deck, items...never mind classes to be unlocked).

I’m due to play with a party of four next week. A bit apprehensive flow may get bogged down, but we’ll see. There should be some fun to be had in obliquely communicating actions to each other (you’re not allowed to be completely explicit).
  • Gregolution 4 Jan 2018 15:40:13 8,697 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Is it Rodney Smith from Watch it Played? What have you got against him?

I think he makes the best how to plays of them all. And I like his accent.
    Oh come on!! He's the cheesiest cringiest dude on the internet. Horrific half smirk on his face while he makes awful little 'wisecracks'.

He genuinely makes me angry
  • phAge 4 Jan 2018 18:37:31 25,269 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    I just bought Scythe with some Xmas money, but the only other game I currently want is Dinosaur Island whenever it finally releases. That'll do me for near future.
    I'll let you know how Dinosaur Island is when it arrives in February.

Y'know, the deluxe edition. With pogs. :)
  • Tonka 4 Jan 2018 19:35:26 26,893 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Da fuq!?

Rodney is adorable! I love his showmanship. Look at the way he handles cards or places meeples on a board.

Class act.
  • Cosmical 5 Jan 2018 09:09:45 288 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Rodders is a bit cheesy, but he does a good job and it is meant to be a family show.

I personally find him a million times more watchable than rahdo. Full respects to him for doing what he does, but his delivery is unwatchable "jen's gonna do this, NO WAIT!, oh she can't, NO WAIT! Yes! No! ARG"
  • rice_sandwich 5 Jan 2018 09:30:46 3,595 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm playing a solo game of Eldritch Horror with two characters. It is not going well. Both of my original investigators are down - one went insane and the other is injured. I still have a chance of pull things out of the gutter but things are not looking good.
  • Tonka 5 Jan 2018 09:34:13 26,893 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Rahdo sure have some catchphrases and ticks. At first I thought Jen was his imaginary waifu. It came as a big relief when it found out Jen is his actual wife

I might sound as if I don't like his reviews some times, but I do. I really don't think he's over exaggerating his enthusiasm. I think he's just a very positive and hyped up person.

Oddly enough I can't watch his run throughs without falling asleep. He's got this very hypnotic voice... come to think of it HE does remind me of those stage hypnotisers you see on TV.
  • Page

of 257 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.