Boardgames anyone? Page 2

• Page

of 120 First / Last

• Mr-Brett 6 Jan 2009 11:43:29 12,723 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Board games are ok, the graphics are pretty realistic but the animation is often non-existant and the gameplay... well it seems like you're doing all the work.

Portable view - Never forget.

• bloke 6 Jan 2009 11:43:55 1,489 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dizzy wrote:
    bloke wrote:
    Diplomacy - best board game evah - and training for life.

And probably a guarantee to lose most of your friends ;)

Well - there is that :-)

(Perhaps best played by email with strangers then - but still an amazing game)
  • Syrok Designer, Tarsier Studios 6 Jan 2009 11:45:07 14,033 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    bloke wrote:
    Dizzy wrote:
    bloke wrote:

WHat is it?
  • Dizzy 6 Jan 2009 12:10:54 2,570 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ace Grace wrote:
    Where can you buy games like Tomb etc.. in the UK?

I have used Spirit in the past.

Or do you mean in the real world? In London there is Forbidden planet for a small selection and The Orc's Nest for a bigger but more confusing experience.
  • Dizzy 6 Jan 2009 12:12:54 2,570 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Syrok wrote:
    bloke wrote:
    Dizzy wrote:
    bloke wrote:

WHat is it?

Best described as Risk without dice. So how do you win land? Diplomacy and backstabbing! ;)
  • Dizzy 6 Jan 2009 12:17:21 2,570 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Amazon has some games... but not a lot of the specialized ones. I am sure they will carry stuff like Talisman.
  • Syrok Designer, Tarsier Studios 6 Jan 2009 12:19:12 14,033 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dizzy wrote:
    Syrok wrote:
    bloke wrote:
    Dizzy wrote:
    bloke wrote:

WHat is it?

Best described as Risk without dice. So how do you win land? Diplomacy and backstabbing! ;)
    Awesome, that's my strategy in Risk most of the time anyway. :)
  • Sean.Aaron 6 Jan 2009 23:31:06 2,531 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    We played mancala on New Year's Eve.

I also still have my Mayfair games edition of Cosmic Encounter which is far and away the best edition released; someday I hope to introduce my daughter to it. Ditto for mahjong. I also like a good game of backgammon.
  • Discordian_Front 6 Jan 2009 23:58:45 17 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Battlestar Galactica board game is fun , and it's a good excuse to call someone a frakkin toaster
  • w00t 8 Sep 2009 15:47:51 11,047 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Space Alert is fucking awesome.

That is all.

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• LeoliansBro 8 Sep 2009 15:51:29 43,227 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    For my shame, I have hunted down and bought a copy of Heroscape, which is becoming rare in the UK. I'll never get anyone to play it, but it has viking warriors, dragons, robots from the future, secret agents and an Orc riding a T-Rex, so I still win!

Edit: Oh, and apparently a Seraphim from Sacred 2.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• stephenb 8 Sep 2009 15:53:19 2,729 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Syrok wrote:
    Dizzy wrote:
    Syrok wrote:
    bloke wrote:
    Dizzy wrote:
    bloke wrote:

WHat is it?

Awesome, that's my strategy in Risk most of the time anyway. :)

You will need to jot that down in your Risk campaign book :D

PSN : v--WEDGE--v

• phAge 29 Mar 2010 12:55:39 24,336 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just bought Space Alert, and had my first few games with 4 mates yesterday. It is BRILLIANT!

Basically it's 10 minutes of absolute chaos which tests your abilities to plan and coordinate to their fullest, followed by 15-20 minutes of finding out what the hell happened. The theme is cool, the rules clear and surprisingly humorous and it just... works.

Highly, highly recommended if you can get 4-5 people together.
  • AccidentProne 29 Mar 2010 13:39:55 1,153 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A group of friends recently convinced me to give some of these games a try and much to my surprise, I'm rather enjoying them. So far I've played Carcassonne, Small World, Arkham Horror, Zombie Flux and Race for the Galaxy all of which were great fun (though I've not really got my head around Galaxy yet).

It's about time I picked up something too, so reckon I'll give Space Alert a go. Sounds fun.
  • phAge 29 Mar 2010 13:45:28 24,336 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    AccidentProne wrote:
    A group of friends recently convinced me to give some of these games a try and much to my surprise, I'm rather enjoying them. So far I've played Carcassonne, Small World, Arkham Horror, Zombie Flux and Race for the Galaxy all of which were great fun (though I've not really got my head around Galaxy yet).

It's about time I picked up something too, so reckon I'll give Space Alert a go. Sounds fun.
    SA really needs at least 4 people including you, but if people are willing to give it a go it is unlike any game (board or computer) that I've ever played. It'll make your head spin, but in an awesome way. :)
  • jellyhead 29 Mar 2010 13:55:22 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Good reliable online places to pick these up? I've a hankering for some boardgame fun.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• w00t 29 Mar 2010 13:56:02 11,047 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I told you Space Alert was awesome :)

• boo 29 Mar 2010 13:59:30 11,703 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Leisure Games is run (or certainly used to be) by a friend of a friend, so I'd vouch for their reliability.

Or you can drop into the shop if you're near Finchley.

Just Another Lego Blog

• phAge 29 Mar 2010 14:00:24 24,336 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    w00t wrote:
    I told you Space Alert was awesome :)
    The what now?

But yeh - it is! :)
  • w00t 29 Mar 2010 14:26:35 11,047 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    3 posts up from your BRILLIANT proclamation :)

• phAge 29 Mar 2010 14:28:45 24,336 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh - right. Carry on.

:)
  • Zidargh 29 Mar 2010 14:50:20 1,668 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't play board games ever since seeing Monopoly nearly drive couples to divorce.
  • w00t 29 Mar 2010 14:53:02 11,047 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's because Monopoly is shit. Unmitigated shit.

• Chopsen 29 Mar 2010 14:55:58 15,720 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    AccidentProne wrote:

I never got on with Arkham. Really tried to like it (cos I likes a bit of Lovecraft, me) but it just struck me just needlessly complicated. Board games work better the simpler the basic rules are. Not heard of Small World, what's it like?

Also, everybody needs to play Dominion. Though not Dominion: Intrigue.

And yes, monopoly is indeed shit.
  • riz23 29 Mar 2010 15:05:19 1,150 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    boo wrote:
    Leisure Games is run (or certainly used to be) by a friend of a friend, so I'd vouch for their reliability.

Or you can drop into the shop if you're near Finchley.

Leisure Games is indeed the top shop to err.. shop. Playing Games (?) in Museum Street is also good if you in the centre of london.

Chopsen mentioned Dominion, oh yes indeed you should play that. My Faves are: Cosmic Encounter, Dominion, Agricola, Settlers of Catan and Citadels.
  • w00t 29 Mar 2010 15:09:38 11,047 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Arkham is complicated as hell, but once you know what's going on, the complexity is rewarding. It may take upwards of 6 three hour sessions to get a hang of it, though :)

• Gibroon 29 Mar 2010 15:14:25 1,314 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    An old pal of mine had Apocalypse, a bit like Risk but without the random dice rolling. A player could choose how many pieces to attack with and for every attack won you received a 1 stage nuclear missile.

Bloody great game but the games would sometimes go on for many hours/days.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2574/apocalypse-the-game-of-nuclear-devastation
  • AccidentProne 29 Mar 2010 15:19:07 1,153 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've only had one go at Arkham so far, and yes it was pretty complicated. The guys I play with had to pretty much guide me through it step by step, but I'd just about got a hang of it by then end. Guess it's easier teaching a co-op game to a noob like me than something competetive. It still seemed a lot less complex than Race for the Galaxy though, that really did my head in.

Small world is nice and simple in comparison. I don't know what to compare it to really as I'm new to this stuff, but apparently it's a fantasy remake of a game called Vinci.
  • Chopsen 29 Mar 2010 15:39:14 15,720 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    For me, boardgames are all about the social interaction. Something like Dominion or Carcassone or Talisman are dead simple to pick up and even complete noobs are having fun after a few turns.

It's why Arkham fails. The complexity is a barrier to people joining in. Although it's great it's a co-op game, the rules are just so complicated I can't be arsed trying to explain them to anyone, and I can't imagine any of my friends jumping at the chance to spend hours on end trying to get the hang of some terrible complicated set of rules. In any case, I've forgotten what it was all about now anyway, and even when I understood it there was some counter somewhere that I would inevitably forget to increase.
  • Onny 29 Mar 2010 15:49:50 5,697 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    For me, boardgames are all about the social interaction. Something like Dominion or Carcassone or Talisman are dead simple to pick up and even complete noobs are having fun after a few turns.

You would love Bohnanza. My wife bought it me for valentine's day and we've methodically been introducing everyone we know to it (even her aged grandma loves it!).

The rules are pretty simple, and it's really a game about negotiation. Honestly, if you like Dominion give it a go.

/end "pimp Bohnanza" rant
  • Page

of 120 First / Last