Boardgames anyone? Page 98

• Page

of 119 First / Last

• onestepfromlost 6 Jan 2014 01:34:23 2,039 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    well I took the plunge cause I have no sense of waiting for answers before buying things, if my group can play nice together I may order CoH next. then something else, then I will become one of you lot :p
  • cubbymoore 6 Jan 2014 13:37:18 36,468 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    Oh and one interesting thing about The Duke - I had a conversation with Paul from BoardGameGuru when I was hunting for a copy. He said he'd never sold one, then suddenly they all got shifted in a day or so. I mentioned that Rab Florence had written his review on RPS a few days beforehand and the penny dropped. The guy has quite a following clearly! Presumably you read that review too cubby?!
    I think, checking the dates, that must be the case! I very rarely go by his reviews usually, but after seeing the kickstarter go by, then reading and watching a few really good reviews, his must have tipped me over the edge. Really glad I did.
  • repairmanjack 11 Jan 2014 14:58:03 5,987 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rewatched the first six episodes of Firefly with my wife (who despite disliking sci-fi has claimed it's "alright") and played a couple more games of the boardgame over the last two days.

Christ, they really nailed everything with this game. A lot of references I'd forgotten now leap up from the table. Can see me investing in the expansions, too, as this has just brought the game to the next level for me.

I've also rediscovered the previously underwhelming Race for the Galaxy. Lack of opponents was the biggest problem, but I'm now playing against the solitaire "robot" opponent from the first expansion. Not only is the design of it genius, but I think I prefer the game solo now.

This afternoon brings a learning game of Pret-a-Porter. Worker placement game from the designer of the phenomenal Robinson Crusoe and Stronghold (still high on the want list). Sure, this one is about being a fashion designer but the designer has already proved his genius, as far as I'm concerned. Looks intriguing.
  • Nemesis 11 Jan 2014 16:36:06 18,593 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh-Bollox wrote:
    LNOE is good, but I think City of Horror is better. I was dubious about CoH after the EG review, but after some folks posted about it in this thread, I picked it up and my regular group was on it like a tramp on Special Brew. You can't go wrong with either game.
    I really enjoy LNOE, nice and easy to play through and it moves at a decent pace. If you have a varied group, Ticket to Ride would be my Go To game. Streamlined rules, fun to play and done in about an hour.

CoH I've not checked out.
  • RichieTenenbaum 11 Jan 2014 18:35:39 2,180 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Played a bit of Gloom last night and it went down brilliantly. Great game
  • repairmanjack 12 Jan 2014 01:46:35 5,987 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pret-a-Porter

The devil wears Prada...and translates rule books from Polish, into something which still seems a lot like Polish.

/brain fried
  • StarchildHypocrethes 17 Jan 2014 22:31:50 25,391 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I really want a copy of 1960: The Making of a President, but it appears to be out of stock everywhere (apart from for a slightly mental 200 odd quid on Amazon...)

If anyone happens across a copy anywhere I'd be most appreciative if you could give me a heads up. Cheers! :)
  • phAge 17 Jan 2014 23:45:30 24,336 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just received a Kickstarter-funded expansion for my OGRE: Designer's Edition. 22 dollars for two sheets of cardboard printed with various terrain, buildings and stuff.

It is possibly the whitest, most First World thing I have ever bought.

And awesome.
  • RichieTenenbaum 18 Jan 2014 08:33:15 2,180 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    I really want a copy of 1960: The Making of a President, but it appears to be out of stock everywhere (apart from for a slightly mental 200 odd quid on Amazon...)

If anyone happens across a copy anywhere I'd be most appreciative if you could give me a heads up. Cheers! :)
    I wouldn't hold out too much hope. Been looking for a year with no luck
  • repairmanjack 18 Jan 2014 09:33:50 5,987 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have 1960 and really enjoy it, I'm mystified why they haven't reprinted it. I just don't think it's coming back - mad as it sounds. One of the reasons I picked it up, was as a gateway into Twilight Struggle (same designer and very similar mechanics, just more complex). Might be worth looking into that.

Edited by repairmanjack at 09:34:15 18-01-2014

Edited by repairmanjack at 09:34:33 18-01-2014
  • Nemesis 18 Jan 2014 10:16:12 18,593 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I appear to have purchased King of Tokyo; how on earth did that happen :-)

Any tips on running this one? Anything I should be looking out for?
  • docrob 18 Jan 2014 10:34:08 289 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Letters from Whitechapel arrived yesterday. Christ, but the rules are intimidating.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 18 Jan 2014 10:42:27 25,391 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    repairmanjack wrote:
    I have 1960 and really enjoy it, I'm mystified why they haven't reprinted it. I just don't think it's coming back - mad as it sounds. One of the reasons I picked it up, was as a gateway into Twilight Struggle (same designer and very similar mechanics, just more complex). Might be worth looking into that.
    An well, cheers for the info.

It was Twilight Struggle that put 1960 on my radar. Weirdly I just think TS and its Cold War theme looks a lot drier than the election-based theme of 1960, which is why I was after that.

TS is on sale in my local store though, so might give it a go.
  • Rusty_M 18 Jan 2014 12:57:38 4,565 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Finally I returned our extra copy of Catan. I decided to replace it with something the wife and I could play together, but which could also benefit from a greater number of participants. I went with Android: Infiltration.

I still don't know what I'm doing in the boardgame world. A year ago I hadn't gone beyond the standard cluedo/monopoly/trivial pursuit thing. Last year, Risk Legacy changed that and I'm slowly amassing a collection.

Discworld went down very well at Christmas, and my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our so-far singular game of Infiltration. The main problem with tabletop games over video games is that I'm going to need somewhere to put them!

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• Nemesis 18 Jan 2014 23:17:53 18,593 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well King of Tokyo worked out really well. I don't know why, but the Tabletop play-through make me feel it would be more complex.

We were not sure when cards came into effect; we initially decided on immediate use, then changed it to use on any of your turns. In retrospect the 'discard' cards are used immediately. I think that was our only stumbling block.

Playing it again tomorrow; it's rather nifty. Really reminds me of Zombie Dice I must say.
  • Tomo 19 Jan 2014 01:08:52 13,878 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    We played Dixit, Ticket to Ride and then Space Cadets this evening. With a curry in between. Great stuff :).

Needless to say, we got destroyed in Space Cadets and finished so late my friend missed last tube :/
  • Dizzy 19 Jan 2014 05:57:58 2,566 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Witcher
  • Nemesis 19 Jan 2014 20:20:46 18,593 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    KoT went down well again today with a different group; as a warm-up game it's really good and took us about 30 minutes to do a first run-through. If I had to pick between this and Tsuro as a starter game, I'd still opt for Tsuro. KoT is really neat, once you've done a round everyone 'gets' it and off you go.

After that, we then dived into Descent from the beginning and I had a *much* better time with my character this time around. We worked better as a group, rather than splitting up for treasure we concentrated on the scenario at hand. We won the first two dungeons, both by the skin of our teeth, which always makes for a good game. I was rather on the fence with Descent, but it really clicked this time around.

I did wonder about picking up Ravenloft or Ashardalon, but they are not cheap, unfortunately...
  • Nemesis 19 Jan 2014 20:25:20 18,593 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    We played Dixit, Ticket to Ride and then Space Cadets this evening. With a curry in between. Great stuff :).

Needless to say, we got destroyed in Space Cadets and finished so late my friend missed last tube :/
    How are you finding Space Cadets? I mentioned it today to the guys...
  • RabidChild 19 Jan 2014 20:27:28 2,288 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:
    Played a bit of Gloom last night and it went down brilliantly. Great game
    I've just ordered that. Looks fun.

I've been playing a bit of X-wing lately. It's fun!
  • Tomo 19 Jan 2014 20:57:53 13,878 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nemesis wrote:
    Tomo wrote:

How are you finding Space Cadets? I mentioned it today to the guys...
    Absolutely love it. It's the best co-op game I've played, mainly because it actually requires co-operation, rather than a single person dictating play.

Best of all, it's absolutely hilarious. Easily the funniest game I've played. It's hard to win, but that's besides the point really. The fun comes from seeing your fall apart because your Shield engineer has powered up only the port shield while your Helmsman has flown you through an asteroid field and managed to point your ship away from the enemy. Or because you've finally nailed the superlock and the Weapons officer over-enthusiastically flicks the counter of the table sending the ship's torpedo aimlessly into deep space.

The only qualm I have is that there are a lot of small rules to remember. The individual stations are very simple to understand, but there is a lot to keep track of and the manual, while logically section, is quite dense. It can be tricky dipping into to check a clarification. But, I found some reference sheet on BGG today and they look absolutely perfect.
  • Fozzie_bear 20 Jan 2014 07:46:51 15,470 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nemesis wrote:
    KoT went down well again today with a different group; as a warm-up game it's really good and took us about 30 minutes to do a first run-through. If I had to pick between this and Tsuro as a starter game, I'd still opt for Tsuro. KoT is really neat, once you've done a round everyone 'gets' it and off you go.
    I'd strongly recommend the power up expansion, if you've not already got it. It adds a set of monster specific cards which you get whenever you roll 3 hearts.

Been playing it lots with the young lady and her boys recently. Boys are 9 and 11 so they got it straight away. The youngest got his first win last night after quietly building a huge stack of powers and crushing us one by one :)

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• steve1979 20 Jan 2014 08:33:41 1,988 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's an excellent game. We picked up both expansions and they add nicely to the game. My kids love it.
  • LeoliansBro 20 Jan 2014 09:01:41 43,132 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    docrob wrote:
    Letters from Whitechapel arrived yesterday. Christ, but the rules are intimidating.
    Nicely done. The rules are convoluted as written, for sure, but after a couple of games it's easy to get the hang of things. I'd recommend checking out some YOutube videos as well as it's very much a 'learn by doing' game (aren't they all).

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Dizzy 20 Jan 2014 09:08:44 2,566 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nemesis wrote:
    I did wonder about picking up Ravenloft or Ashardalon, but they are not cheap, unfortunately...
    IMHO they are much better than Descent. They are different ofc, but as dungeon crawlers go, these games have given us a lot more fun moments, with quicker play, more balanced quests and less dice rolling.
  • tincanrocket 22 Jan 2014 11:49:29 2,897 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just ordered Eldritch Horror and am really looking forward to getting my hands on it. Rab Florence's Cardboard Children review on RPS really sold the game to me (although I was already pretty sure I'd pick it up). It also sounds like a great option for solo play (billynomates).

Edited by tincanrocket at 11:51:48 22-01-2014
  • AaronTurner 23 Jan 2014 18:00:30 7,591 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't have any mates that enjoys playing Magic the Gathering so I've always got my fix from either the Planeswalker games or, less so, Magic Online. However I found an interesting recent official solo variant called Face the Hydra and picked it up. It's arrived here with a deckbuilders toolkit for M14 but I haven't really taken a deep look as I'm really hesitant to mess the cards up without sleeving them. The general idea is that yoiu play against an automated deck, it's a different sort of experience but looks great. Anyway, I'm looking forward to building a deck to take this on. There will be another pack released in February or March with different mechanics and cards, it looks like they are doing one with each new block. I'm hoping this is successful because it's the sort of laid back experience I really enjoy.

Check it out:

A wee peek at the next one is here:

Born of the Gods Horde Mode
  • AaronTurner 23 Jan 2014 22:44:33 7,591 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I also bought Ascension Apprentice Edition. Man, what a bargain that is. 9 and it's a fully fledged version of Ascension. Obviously there probably isn't as much variation as the full boxed game but it's enjoyable and simple and a very decent version as far as I'm concerned. Really enjoyable with really easy mechanics that can be taught in less than a minute.

Ascension Apprentice Edition
  • Fozzie_bear 23 Jan 2014 23:11:34 15,470 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I got the Galaxy Trucker Anniversary Edition when it was on sale at Amazon. Good fun so far. Been playing a simple version with the boys so far - letting them have as much time as they like to build a decent spaceship. Hilarious when everything falls to bits and they don't seem to mind in the slightest - the worse things go, the more they seem to love it.

Looks like it'd be a great drunken, end of night game too. But by God, there's a lot of stuff in that box. Add all the expansions in and it looks like it'll be utterly bewildering.

• Fozzie_bear 23 Jan 2014 23:13:52 15,470 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    And while I'm here...

If you've not found boardgamearena.com yet then you should really give it a go. Loads of games to be played on there (all licensed) and the conversions are generally very good. Nice mix of casual and more hardcore stuff on there. It's worth signing up for Libertalia alone.

• Page

of 119 First / Last