Boardgames anyone? Page 96

• Page

of 133 First / Last

• EMarkM 26 Dec 2013 17:24:51 3,183 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Nemesis Haven't played for a bit here. Think all our latest stuff is 3.5 edition.

Enjoy :)
  • EMarkM 26 Dec 2013 17:26:05 3,183 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    cubbymoore wrote:
    We played Pass The Pigs and Bananagrams yesterday. My gf is far too good at Bananagrams.
    Pass The Pigs here also. My brother owns an original set, and his daughters have the latest one :)
  • repairmanjack 26 Dec 2013 23:08:51 6,068 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Played several games of Sentinels of the Multiverse over the last couple of days, after getting it for Christmas. I'd previously dismissed it, as I thought the artwork and superhero schtick was lame.

I'm an idiot.

It might just be the best thing I've played all year. I thought either Letters from Whitechapel or the Pathfinder: Rise of the Runelords game had it in the bag. This really has come out of nowhere; I've already been online to hoover up the mini-expansions.

In other news, played two games of Stefan Feld's Trajan. Way better than Castles of Burgundy. I won't say it's thematic (because it's Feld, after all) but I get the point of why I'm doing everything. Terrific game.

Edited by repairmanjack at 23:09:30 26-12-2013
  • Tomo 27 Dec 2013 00:24:28 13,944 posts
    Seen 8 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Haven't had a game in ages :(
  • RedSparrows 27 Dec 2013 00:46:51 23,251 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Agricola verdict: great. Love the range of occupations and improvements.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 27 Dec 2013 01:27:32 26,138 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Picked up King of Tokyo on a whim before heading down home for Xmas. Just spent all evening playing it with my folks and my sister and everyone loved it. Great fun.

Only criticism is that its almost over too quickly at times, which sometimes makes the card buying a little redundant. Thoroughly recommend it as a quick fire bit of entertainment though.
  • oldschoolsoviet 27 Dec 2013 12:11:28 5,501 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Space Hulk + film franchise = happiness ?

Flashbacks to the ol' 28mm lead figs from the ill-fated RPG. I'll be keeping an eye out for this.
  • andytheadequate 27 Dec 2013 13:02:50 8,265 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I was bought Pandemic for Xmas as I love co op games. Played 2 games of it yesterday and it was great fun, can't recommend it highly enough. We only just managed to scrape a victory on our second game after a disaster in the first one, but we were playing on the easiest setting (4 epidemic cards rather than 6). I reckon it will be quite a tricky game to win normally.

I also bought my Dad Friedrich. We were going to play it yesterday but didn't have time in the end (it's a 3-5 hour game). It is incredibly well thought of so I expect good things from it.

Also bought a friend Coup after recommendations on RPS. I'm hoping it's a Love Letter style game but don't really know much about it.
  • Waffleaber 27 Dec 2013 13:30:04 430 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bit of a bumper boardgame Christmas. I bought my brother-in-law and constant boardgame companion King of Tokyo and he bought me Zombie Dice, my friend picked me up Mines of Zavandor, I bought my missus Carcassone - Winter Edition and Ticket To Ride India & Switzerland and she bought me Tzolk'in (sooo pretty)

Now the real trick is getting them all played!
  • Rusty_M 27 Dec 2013 14:57:10 4,758 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My wife and I got each other Settlers of Catan. I also got her Discworld Ankh Morpork. I also received Cranium Wow, so we did well for board games. Not sure what to use to replace one of the copies.of Catan. So many options.

Any suggestions?

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• EMarkM 27 Dec 2013 15:08:00 3,183 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Rusty_M You got Carcassonne yet? Small World? Munchkin?
  • Derblington 27 Dec 2013 15:39:33 21,913 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I bought Zombicide a month or so ago. very good stuff. Will pick up the expansions in the new year and am already writing some custom rules/scenarios.
  • Deleted user 27 December 2013 21:00:30
    Played The Magic Labyrinth with my daughter (7) this evening for the first time and it's a lot of fun for a family game.

The prospect of memorising the maze seemed like it might be daunting so we kept some of the inserts from when we unboxed it to use as wall markers for when we came across walls. When we go a bit further I'll knock up some graph paper maps and start encouraging the kids to make their own maps of the walls they find, kind of like a boardgame version of Dungeon Master or Etrian Odyssey :-D

Edited by Rhythm at 21:10:14 27-12-2013
  • AaronTurner 29 Dec 2013 12:17:18 7,785 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone use Octgn or Vassel here? Might be good to get an EG online boardgame group set-up?
  • RichieTenenbaum 29 Dec 2013 13:03:19 2,223 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I got the Game of Thrones board game. Played it twice before and loved it. I get the feeling I will never get to play it again.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 29 Dec 2013 13:40:30 26,138 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just popped into town and managed to grab a copy of Firefly. Sweet!
  • EMarkM 29 Dec 2013 13:52:05 3,183 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:
    I got the Game of Thrones board game. Played it twice before and loved it. I get the feeling I will never get to play it again.
    How so? :(
  • RichieTenenbaum 30 Dec 2013 00:59:08 2,223 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The people and time needed
  • StarchildHypocrethes 30 Dec 2013 09:06:17 26,138 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    Just popped into town and managed to grab a copy of Firefly. Sweet!
    Played a game last night and thought it was excellent.

Theme is everywhere in spades and the game itself is also thoroughly enjoyable. Looking forward to see what interaction elements are supposedly being introduced in the upcoming expansion, as the general lack of any is probably the only real negative.

Edited by StarchildHypocrethes at 09:06:46 30-12-2013
  • Obli 30 Dec 2013 10:16:37 4 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Kingdom Builder is a very good board game. My cousin introduced me to it.

I also enjoy playing Risk, especially at gatherings with good friends.
  • EMarkM 31 Dec 2013 21:15:37 3,183 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My lot are playing Train Game for the first time this evening. Any tips?

We're not off to a good start: slightly deaf mother-in-law already reading out the answers instead of the questions!
  • EMarkM 31 Dec 2013 22:35:37 3,183 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They're cracking on now. Sounds like it has a few elegant subtleties.
  • EMarkM 31 Dec 2013 22:44:51 3,183 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    To clarify, it's "The Great British Train Game". It took them about fifteen minutes to read the destructions and set up, and a further hour for the three of them to complete their very first game with a clear winner.

It's a "travel around the map whilst answering questions" game, with a mixture of "Quest/Great British Quiz" style UK city questions, plus general knowledge ones.

Some good risk/reward mechanics.

Board is 150% the size of a standard Trivial Pursuit board. Extra room needed for three or four card piles/boxes.

Seems to retail at around 25.00. Brother-in-law picked it up for 4.00 from a charity shop.
  • repairmanjack 3 Jan 2014 01:22:08 6,068 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Managed to track down one of the last copies of Eklund's High Frontier this week. Now to work on the PhD required to understand the rules.

The expansion is being delivered tomorrow. I'm told this is enough game for about fifty years.
  • Tomo 3 Jan 2014 01:47:25 13,944 posts
    Seen 8 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Got back into Galaxy Trucker the last few nights. So much fun and the expansions are a massive improvement.

Also played Libertalia twice now, but I expected it to be better tbh. Needs a few more goes but the win mechanic when you tie characters feels like a real afterthought.

Oh, and had several games of The Duke. Cracking Chess-like variant with a dash of randomness and a much shorter time limit. Pulling new pieces out of a bag means no two games are alike. Great fun.
  • darkmorgado 3 Jan 2014 09:07:18 15,566 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I ordered the huge Galaxy Trucker box. Looking forward to that. I played Escape over Christmas - great fun and one that improves the more players you have. It looks very silly and I was originally put off by the 10 minute time limit, but it all works perfectly. The only problem now is that I'm not going to be able to resist buying the ludicrously over-priced expansions...

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• Tomo 3 Jan 2014 09:15:35 13,944 posts
    Seen 8 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fozzie_bear wrote:
    I ordered the huge Galaxy Trucker box. Looking forward to that. I played Escape over Christmas - great fun and one that improves the more players you have. It looks very silly and I was originally put off by the 10 minute time limit, but it all works perfectly. The only problem now is that I'm not going to be able to resist buying the ludicrously over-priced expansions...
    It is HUGE. Two hands to pick it up huge. So much content though,
  • repairmanjack 3 Jan 2014 11:22:15 6,068 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Tomo great to hear some positive impressions of The Duke. I'm really interested in it - more so now that Z-Man Games had doubled the price of Tash-Kalar since Essen. (Even the designer has stepped in on BGG and said how disappointed he is in them.)
  • phAge 3 Jan 2014 11:37:24 24,386 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    Fozzie_bear wrote:
    It is HUGE. Two hands to pick it up huge. So much content though,
    Two whole hands? Aww, how cute!

;)
  • Dizzy 3 Jan 2014 11:53:58 2,711 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I went full monty on the Chtulhu wars kickstarter... 500$. Better be worth it :S
  • Page

of 133 First / Last