Boardgames anyone? Page 88

• Page

of 134 First / Last

• Tomo 30 Sep 2013 00:45:49 13,964 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hmm, 20 quid seems a bit steep for CAH. Might hold off for a little bit. Not sure how much my friends would enjoy it, but I'm sure they'd probably get into it after a few drinks.
  • cubbymoore 30 Sep 2013 01:02:51 36,503 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My gf had been interested in that game, back when you couldn't get it here, so I'll let her know about it. Personally I think it's the kind of game that really won't get played that often.
  • steve1979 30 Sep 2013 11:20:42 2,007 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Played my first few games of Pathfinder and it's excellent. A really good, fun game. Only played it solo though.
  • speedofthepuma 30 Sep 2013 11:35:48 13,310 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cool, don't know why I didn't think of that..

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• andytheadequate 30 Sep 2013 11:54:51 8,322 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    speedofthepuma wrote:
    Playing a lot of jungle speed at the moment in our house, in part because my 4 year old daughter can join in. Still trying to come up with the perfect game for me, my wife and my son, given the brief that she loves 7 wonders and he loves anything.
    Have you played Power Grid?
  • speedofthepuma 30 Sep 2013 22:40:15 13,310 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No, it just looks so dry

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• faux-C 1 Oct 2013 12:25:30 9,528 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    repairmanjack wrote:
    What the deuce!? Get on amazon, folks. Uk version of Cards Against Humanity is available to buy. Twenty quid for the base game and eight for each of the three expansions. An utter steal given it's been impossible to import the damn thing all this time.

Mind you, I managed to get hold of a copy. It's been a massive hit with non-gamers. I guess all our pals are evil minded bastards...
    I drunkenly ordered this last night based on your post. Looking forward to it now!
  • repairmanjack 1 Oct 2013 12:30:30 6,071 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Loving the new job (well, pay packet). Just tracked down copies of Castaways, Forbidden Desert and Eight Minute Empire to add to the haul. Both Castaways and EME seem to be all but vanished already (and I doubt the latter is going to be reprinted in a hurry).

Played two games of Pathfinder so far and think it's excellent; it's a really smart system and works perfectly as a solo game. I think it will stall me on picking up any Lord of the Rings LCG expansions, for a while, at least.

And so to unpack Legends of Andor. :)
  • RunningMan 1 Oct 2013 12:34:44 2,450 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Forbidden desert! loved the original. Must look this out !
  • mikeck 1 Oct 2013 13:05:45 1,936 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    faux_carnation wrote:
    repairmanjack wrote:
    What the deuce!? Get on amazon, folks. Uk version of Cards Against Humanity is available to buy. Twenty quid for the base game and eight for each of the three expansions. An utter steal given it's been impossible to import the damn thing all this time.

Mind you, I managed to get hold of a copy. It's been a massive hit with non-gamers. I guess all our pals are evil minded bastards...
    I drunkenly ordered this last night based on your post. Looking forward to it now!
    Having played the original version, ordering the UK version was a no-brainer. Had my first game at the weekend with friends (not my usual board gamer friends either) and it went down a storm.

Expansions will be ordered...
  • Tomo 1 Oct 2013 13:10:45 13,964 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My brand spanking new copy of Cash 'N' Guns just arrived from Belgium, shrink-wrapped and everything.

Very much looking forward to trying it out.
  • beastmaster 1 Oct 2013 13:11:02 11,803 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I ended up playing Cards Against Humanity with Broken Key and a couple of ladies atthe StickTwidllers do on the Saturday night.

Crying laughing a lot of the time. It's so very, very wrong.

The best match of the night.

In Michael Jackson's dying monuments, he thought of _______
    Children on leashes.

Edited by beastmaster at 13:11:44 01-10-2013

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• cubbymoore 1 Oct 2013 13:34:57 36,503 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    See, for me, I'd find it much more satisfying corrupting an innocent game like apples to apples or once upon a time or even scrabble than to use cards that are already doing a lot of the work for me.
  • beastmaster 1 Oct 2013 13:36:07 11,803 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It makes it a hell of a lot easier to play when you're drunk though.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• repairmanjack 1 Oct 2013 15:30:56 6,071 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm surprised just how many people have loved Cards Against Humanity; some of our most straight-laced friends have some bloody evil senses of humour.

I do wish my German wife wouldn't draw the Auschwitz card every single time though...
  • riz23 2 Oct 2013 12:38:36 1,427 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ooh look what just arrived. Time to get busy!

Now why doesn't that work? Cuba Libre and A Distant Plain

Edited by riz23 at 12:47:36 02-10-2013
  • TheCrane 2 Oct 2013 12:49:35 112 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Cards Against Humanity totally flopped with my friends: it just ended up with everyone sarcastically saying 'AWSUM' each round. It's about as amusing as randomly recombining snippets of 'edgy' 4chan posts, or playing 'Consequences' with some fifth-formers :(
  • Tomo 3 Oct 2013 23:48:13 13,964 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That's my fear with CAH :/

Played my first games of Cash N Guns tonight! Fantastic game. If you like Mascarade/Avalon you'll love it. It's also got quite a few rules for expanding the basic game, which I didn't know about beforehand. The foam guns are a stroke of genius; really bring out theme.
  • cubbymoore 4 Oct 2013 00:13:37 36,503 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My sides

• cubbymoore 4 Oct 2013 13:47:27 36,503 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mr Jack Pocket is available now on Android(!!)

Never played it before but heard it's a good game. Tried the tutorial last night and it's laid out like puzzles that abstract parts of the game, but it's really hard! I got stuck on one of the tutorials that challenges you to hide all the suspects from Sherlock and Watson's view in two moves, but there's absolutely no way that I can see to do it. I've never come across a tutorial that challenges you so much!

Then I had a quick go on a solo game playing as the investigators and promptly lost... on easy. This is going to be difficult.

Shame it's single player only. Hope they bring in two player pass and play.
  • Alastair 4 Oct 2013 14:05:57 16,278 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've been playing a few games of Hive recently - really enjoying it.
    Each game has been completely random, so imo it's not like chess which is how it's been dismissed by one of my gaming group.

I also played a round of it at the Expo Afterparty with LBro, which I lost.

I recommend it - and try to get the extra two pieces too - mosquito and ladybird.
  • fillip 4 Oct 2013 14:37:57 897 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I took delivery of Tammany Hall yesterday. Had to import from US but managed to avoid any customs charges.

Hopefully will manage to get a game in over the weekend. I already know that I like it after half a game on slothninja. Just hope my friends enjoy it as well.

I'm starting to develop a backlog of unplayed games of videogames proportions. I think it's time to stop and play...except for Cuba Libre and Clash of Cultures in a couple of weeks. But then definitely stop. For a bit.

Edited by fillip at 14:45:44 04-10-2013
  • LeoliansBro 4 Oct 2013 16:15:24 44,737 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hive is great indeed, although I dno't have the Ladtbird as I can't see that as anything other than complex for the sake of being different. Tell me if I'm wrong.

Also got CAH, but yeah I could see that being a less funny version of standard bad taste banter.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• cubbymoore 4 Oct 2013 16:24:31 36,503 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hive is one of those games that is good with or without the added bits. The ladybug is a nice thing to have if you need it, but really the game is the same. I do like the mosquito though, that one allows for some nice strategical moves that's really unlike the others.

Generally, I'm maybe starting to think there might be one ant too many. It's such a powerful piece. Might have to play some more before I can be sure.
  • Tomo 5 Oct 2013 01:56:50 13,964 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Galaxy Trucker is as cheap as its ever been over on Amazon at the moment. Same goes for the Anniversary Edition.

I want it so badly. Gah.
  • Alastair 5 Oct 2013 16:44:26 16,278 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ladybugs isn't complex, I like it as it gives some good 'hop over the hive' options.
  • Tomo 9 Oct 2013 00:02:57 13,964 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Had a nightmare game of Archipelago a few days ago. Firstly we established we had been playing two rules incorrectly, one of which one fairly major :/

Anyway, we played a medium length game, yet it went one for more than 5 hours. The endgame conditions are very inconsistent - sometimes the game can finish very quickly, other times it takes an eternity.

I was the separatist and at one point I was a single action counter away from victory, but a series of card flips ensued which totally screwed me over. I guess that's the joy of the game really, but to be on the receiving end of the misfortune was absolutely infuriating at the time. In the end I forced the angry colonist counter up so we all lost. Turned out that if I'd had a little more patience I'd have won anyway. Further misery... woe is me!
  • cubbymoore 9 Oct 2013 00:35:26 36,503 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So it went on for 5+ hours, and no one won??

Not sure I'd like that game tbh.
  • fillip 9 Oct 2013 05:45:33 897 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I played a short game of Archipelago last night and the opposite happened. It was all over before we'd even really done anything.

What rules did you get so wrong? And how many players?

Edited by fillip at 05:46:59 09-10-2013
  • riz23 9 Oct 2013 07:11:54 1,427 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've got a game of archipelago planned for tonight. If we have 4/5 players I will suggest the short objectives because the game can drag on with medium if you are not snappy with your moves. AP players need not apply!

And yes, what rules did you get wrong?
  • Page

of 134 First / Last