Boardgames anyone? Page 70

• Page

of 130 First / Last

• speedofthepuma 30 May 2013 15:05:48 13,299 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Played Citadels, Small Worlds, Dominion, and Forbidden Island with Ben now, all fantastic. I'd like my next purchase to be really glitzy with lots of fantastic pieces to blow his socks off. Any idea (remembering he's 7 - but very bright..)?

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• Nemesis 30 May 2013 15:38:29 18,648 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Space Hulk (if you can get it).

Great video....Have a little watch....

http://vimeo.com/6537636

Edited by Nemesis at 15:40:03 30-05-2013
  • LeoliansBro 30 May 2013 15:39:34 44,230 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh God Space Hulk is good. Bastard hard if you're a marine though.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Nemesis 30 May 2013 15:40:51 18,648 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That's the vid that started my obsession with tracking it down. So watch at your peril!
  • LeoliansBro 30 May 2013 15:43:39 44,230 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My brother has it. One of the most claustrophobic, intense, unforgiving and downright nasty games I've played, I'm amazed it manages to retain so much of the 40k flavour with such a simple ruleset.

Edited by LeoliansBro at 15:43:53 30-05-2013

• sanctusmortis 30 May 2013 16:28:22 9,631 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I love that it made a million Tyranid players, who all get mercilessly slaughtered by Marines with impunity.
  • Waffleaber 30 May 2013 16:29:00 412 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My local The Works got some stock in. Just picked up Felinia and had a look through the rules on my lunch. Looks good with some interesting mechanics. It's got not much at all to do with cats despite the name and box art.

That, together with Mage Wars, Agricola: All Creatures Great and Small and Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries picked up from UK Games Expo should sate the new games beast for a while.
  • Tomo 30 May 2013 16:37:11 13,910 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Had another game of Blood Bowl last night. And I won 3-0 as humans this time! \o/

So good.
  • ZuluHero 30 May 2013 17:09:07 4,159 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    there was nothing really good in my works - Space alien checkers or House of Anubis??

Boo!

edit: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/12812/house-of-anubis

House of Anubis - fans: 0

Edited by ZuluHero at 17:11:17 30-05-2013
  • AccidentProne 30 May 2013 17:18:46 1,163 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If you keep checking the threads on BGG, folks are regularly updating what's in stock in their local shops. Seems some took longer to get stock than others.
  • AccidentProne 30 May 2013 17:22:42 1,163 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh and if you do find a copy of Giants, it's got some great components. Not played it yet though, but from a quick scan if the rules it sounds like fun.
  • phAge 30 May 2013 17:58:25 24,371 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nemesis wrote:
    I must say with this thread I really have to stop myself spending money. The group is not a 'rules heavy' group, so I'm wondering whether Talisman would be a good choice. It really divides opinion from what I've read.
    Talisman is pretty damn rules light though. I read the rules in half an hour, and haven't looked up anything more than a handful of times since. Girlfriend is not a boardgamer at all, but she got it pretty much straight away.

(And is picking up the Reaper expansion - her idea! - tomorrow).
  • Nemesis 30 May 2013 18:33:43 18,648 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I love the look of Relic, however not everyone is up on the 40K lore. It'll be a bit lost on them.....as we found out playing BSG one night...two of the group COMPLETELY confused.

I shouldn't spend any more money as Tsuro is still on its way. 3 weeks from the USA. Crikey.
  • Nemesis 30 May 2013 18:34:08 18,648 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    No, Talisman, NO.
  • speedofthepuma 30 May 2013 21:44:39 13,299 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks for the space hulk suggestion, I'll keep an eye out, although it seems unlikely to wash up in our local games shop..

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• phAge 30 May 2013 21:57:17 24,371 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I bought the new edition soon as it got in stores. Even painted up all the termies.

I wonder what it's like to actually play?

#nogeekymates

Edited by phAge at 21:57:36 30-05-2013
  • repairmanjack 31 May 2013 13:20:00 6,043 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Warhammer Quest on the iPad is sugared crack. I must be four or five hours in. Initial loot drops were for dlc characters, which pissed me off, but I'm over the hump of needing new gear and refusing to pay for it, and it really is sublime.

Might be one of the best board game adaptations to date.

Terra Mystica has arrived. Birthday be damned, I'm drooling on it already.
  • McGeeza 4 Jun 2013 01:10:19 935 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Joined a board game club after searching on BGG and had the first session tonight. Nice bunch of lads and managed to win both games (Union Pacific and Ra), which i was assured was beginner's luck.

My advice to those who don't have anyone to play with - have a search for local clubs and go for it. You probably won't get murdered.
  • AccidentProne 4 Jun 2013 09:52:37 1,163 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I found a local club via meetup, had our first meeting last week. Seemed like a nice bunch too, although I already knew one of the guys there. We're small though, only enough of us to get one or two games going at a time. Makes a bit of a change after a London on Board meetup...
  • repairmanjack 4 Jun 2013 11:38:05 6,043 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I played last year's darling of Essen, Terra Mystica, last night. It's brilliantly designed, the box weighs a tonne, and it looks gorgeous. For a heavyweight game it's surprisingly simple to grasp and a two-player game fairly zips past.

It's not the best thing I've played recently, that award goes to Le Havre - which is quite simply mindblowing. I don't think I've ever wanted to soak my skull in a bucket of iced water after playing a game before - and I couldn't stop thinking about it. Can't recommend it highly enough. If you can find a bloody copy.
  • LeoliansBro 4 Jun 2013 11:56:53 44,230 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Le Havre looks to fall into the standard Euro trap of being several solo games that just happen to share a board. Is that fair, or is there significant interaction between the players?

• Load_2.0 4 Jun 2013 12:00:44 19,276 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I am not really up on all the hardcore stuff, but if anyone ever fancies a night of Buccaneer or Scotland Yard at the pub I would get involved.

Provided it was a Mon/Tues night and several miles from my house!
  • repairmanjack 4 Jun 2013 12:17:41 6,043 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Le Havre looks to fall into the standard Euro trap of being several solo games that just happen to share a board. Is that fair, or is there significant interaction between the players?
    You're building your own engine, and it's a cash grab when you boil it down; there's worker placement which allows for blocking (which isn't especially combative). Where things get interesting is in having to use other people's buildings and services, paying each other rather than the bank.

It's not *quite* multiplayer solitaire, but if you don't like Euros then run a hundred miles. Celebrating it for what it is, not what it isn't, and it's a phenomenal game. There's so much replayability, so many different routes to success, that it'll take numerous games before you get a grasp on the majority of the ways of playing.

It's a pain in the arse to set up, but that's my only negative.
  • LeoliansBro 4 Jun 2013 12:22:58 44,230 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh I do like Euros, but they can go too far down the isolation route. Catan-level is just about my sweet spot.

Giants looks fab as well.

• LeoliansBro 4 Jun 2013 12:33:46 44,230 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Also just snagged a copy of Vampire Empire as I fancy a card game for train journeys etc. Was thinking Dixit but two player is better. I hear good things about it though - anyone tried it?

• tincanrocket 4 Jun 2013 12:43:03 3,000 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Spartacus expansion is out in the wild - hopefully my copy is arriving today \o/
  • sanctusmortis 4 Jun 2013 14:05:06 9,631 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    King of Tokyo arrived today after being dispatched yesterday. Already won 3 games against my kids. MEKA DRAGON IS KING!
  • Alastair 4 Jun 2013 14:09:16 15,746 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Have recently played Libertalia - a pirate themed game. Involves bidding with different characters in your crew in order to get booty. Each player has the same crew so there are elements of bluff and gamble. There is definitley interaction as you are able to 'attack' other players or pass cursed items to them.

Also played Divinaire - part memory, part gamble. You have to predict how many of each suit of cards are present in the deck. It has potential but we've only played it once.

I prefer Libertalia out of the two.
  • repairmanjack 4 Jun 2013 14:12:22 6,043 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    tincanrocket wrote:
    The Spartacus expansion is out in the wild - hopefully my copy is arriving today \o/
    Ooh! Let us know what you think of it, when you get a sec. The base board game is brilliant.
  • AccidentProne 4 Jun 2013 14:15:40 1,163 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Got Libertalia after reading Rob Florence raving about it a while back. Only managed a couple of games so far though, but I'm hoping to persuade folks to play it at our next meetup.

Only tried Divinaie the once, bur couldn't really get my head around it, though being rather drunken, that's probably no surprise. Would like another crack at it in a less inebriated state, certainly seemed different.
  • Page

of 130 First / Last