Boardgames anyone? Page 68

• Page

of 133 First / Last

• jaxon58 17 May 2013 00:06:36 2,422 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone with an iPad who likes card/deck building games, such as Dominion and Lord of the Rings LCG should check out CardWarden on the App Store. It allows you to scan cards and import them so you play the games on your pad. It takes a bit of setting up, but it's pretty good. I've got LOTR LCG up and running on it and its great!
  • cubbymoore 19 May 2013 00:53:42 36,501 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Carcassonne: hunters and gatherers did not get a warm reaction from the gf in the end.... She just sighed all the way through the 2 games we played and then said it was crap afterwards. Fucks sake. I blew 40 on that.
  • Tomo 19 May 2013 10:00:08 13,955 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Eeek. Board games seem to hold their value well from what I can tell, so you could recoup most of it on eBay I imagine.

Still, bit of a pisser no doubt :/
  • speedofthepuma 19 May 2013 10:24:49 13,309 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So, looking for something to take on holiday to play with Ben, at 7 he is thrashing me at Small Worlds now and Dominian, so he gets the rules OK, but still struggles with lots of reading. What's Citadels like on this front? Any other ideas? My local shop doesn't seem to have Love Letter, which I was thinking of.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• RichieTenenbaum 19 May 2013 11:29:50 2,224 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Post deleted
  • RichieTenenbaum 19 May 2013 11:29:59 2,224 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I find smash up works well with kids.
  • RichieTenenbaum 19 May 2013 11:35:13 2,224 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Went to a regular board game meet up yesterday. Played Chaos of the Old World and Eclipse again. REALLY loved eclipse. Chaos was also far less fiddly than I was expecting. Really fun. Helped the the guy running both games was an expert. Like playin much more when I'm not 'running' the game.

We talked about trying to play games with people and how sometimes they just glaze over or sigh FOREVER. I've seen this before. He said he took Kings Of Tokyo back home and his family found it utterly baffling and were joking about how incomprehensible it was. I've seen this before on things I think are fairly simple. It's really disheartening when it happens!
  • cubbymoore 19 May 2013 11:50:21 36,501 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:

We talked about trying to play games with people and how sometimes they just glaze over or sigh FOREVER. I've seen this before. He said he took Kings Of Tokyo back home and his family found it utterly baffling and were joking about how incomprehensible it was. I've seen this before on things I think are fairly simple. It's really disheartening when it happens!
    Tell me about it.
  • sanctusmortis 19 May 2013 12:03:19 9,655 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @RichieTenenbaum I have a friend who thinks Ninja Burger is "incomprehensible". Compared to Fluxx. Which is designed to be incomprehensible...
  • speedofthepuma 19 May 2013 12:46:40 13,309 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks Richie.

• AccidentProne 19 May 2013 12:57:51 1,168 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @speedofthepuma Not a great deal of reading involved with Citadels, probably about the same as Dominion. It's really just the individual character skills for the most part, but he'll learn those quickly. Apart from that it's only certain districts that have any text and that's minimal.

It's nice and portable too, definitely a good bet to take on holiday.
  • speedofthepuma 19 May 2013 13:07:48 13,309 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks AP, I might go for that, I'm a little bit gay for SU&SD at the moment and they rated it so I can see me going for that, although Smash Up looks good too.

Small worlds is loved by Ben but feels a bit random to me, for all its loveliness. I might grow to get the strategy more as we play it more.

• repairmanjack 19 May 2013 17:41:19 6,071 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Managed a first game of Arctic Scavengers for two yesterday; liked it but it's already clear it's not going to eclipse Dominion in the foreseeable future. Nice art and theme and it all makes sense - and it has a point, as my Dominion-apathetic future-spouse keeps pointing out.

Had a request for a return to Pandemic this evening. Been a while. I should probably apologise to the world in advance. Because you're screwed if we're your only hope.
  • Waffleaber 23 May 2013 15:46:29 434 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    UK Games Expo this weekend in Birmingham, anyone going?

I can only go on the Sunday due to work which is a bugger because I would have loved to see the Netrunner tournament and have to take the kids but apparently it's child friendly so I'm looking forward to it.

Hoping to pick up a copy of Mage Wars, my missus seems weirdly overexcited at the prospect of have her own spell book.
  • phAge 24 May 2013 23:08:30 24,387 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bought Talisman and sat down with the missus for a first play. Four hours later she was asking when we could play again. Succes!

Think I'll have a look for the Reaper expansion next week.
  • jaxon58 25 May 2013 00:48:35 2,422 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Awesome! Glad she liked it.

Had a delivery of Relic this week, the Warhammer 40k themed Talisman board game. Not tried it yet though. Anyone played it?
  • repairmanjack 25 May 2013 17:06:28 6,071 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Finally getting around to a first game of Last Night on Earth. It's amazing what you find on the shelves, eh?

I have played Relic twice now and really enjoyed it both times. Absolutely gorgeous board. May be breaking it out again tomorrow, if I can't be arsed to set up Arkham Horror.
  • ZuluHero 25 May 2013 19:21:45 4,213 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've dug out my old copy of Warhammer Quest as a few of my regular game group want to play.

I've been re-learning the rules and playing a few dummy games. I'd forgotten how fun it is, even playing alone. The automated monster rules are really elegant. It is quite brutal though, first game my party got killed, 2nd game only 2 survived.

Looking forward to playing it with my regular group though now! :)

Edited by ZuluHero at 20:17:40 25-05-2013
  • jaxon58 25 May 2013 20:28:08 2,422 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Warhammer Quest iOS should be appearing on the App Store next week.
  • speedofthepuma 26 May 2013 02:08:44 13,309 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So, games my 7 year old has beaten me at legitimately now

Small Worlds
    Dominion Intrigue
    Citadels.

Good fun with the Forbidden Island too, we won two on novice and then lost one on normal (very closely). I can see this being a real favourite, and Citadels looks aces.

• Phattso Moderator 26 May 2013 03:13:31 13,623 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hi, I'm Phattso, and I'm a board game kickstarter addict.

Am I alone in this, or are any of you guys also addicted to trawling Kickstarter for interesting new board games? I've backed half a dozen projects in the last few months, and can't seem to stop looking for more. Some fairly interesting stuff on there - often expansions to, or new editions of, established games but with upgraded components and meeples and/or new rulesets.
  • Nemesis 26 May 2013 08:38:49 18,674 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I so wish I'd kept my Warhammer Quest box. I lost heart in it when it bombed with the gaming group and gave it away years later.

/kicks self

Tsuro is on it's way from the US and it's taking aaaaaages to arrive. Relic looks bloody lovely!
  • Dizzy 26 May 2013 08:50:09 2,719 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Phattso Links?
  • ZuluHero 26 May 2013 08:54:56 4,213 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Nemesis plus the box set is worth quite a bit these days, depending on condition. I'm lucky, mine is one of the few games workshop game's I own that I didn't try and paint or customise.
  • Nemesis 26 May 2013 09:42:30 18,674 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    @Nemesis plus the box set is worth quite a bit these days, depending on condition. I'm lucky, mine is one of the few games workshop game's I own that I didn't try and paint or customise.
    Tell me about it ! Space Hulk was the same silly money, however I managed to finally find a sealed copy for 100. However I don't want to ruin it so I haven't played it.

Daft really.
  • repairmanjack 26 May 2013 10:23:11 6,071 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Phattso wrote:

Am I alone in this, or are any of you guys also addicted to trawling Kickstarter for interesting new board games? I've backed half a dozen projects in the last few months, and can't seem to stop looking for more. Some fairly interesting stuff on there - often expansions to, or new editions of, established games but with upgraded components and meeples and/or new rulesets.
    If I had the cash to spare, I'd be all over the new Martin Wallace game: A Study in Emerald. Banking on being able to pick it up when it releases around Essen this year. Would also have grabbed Zpocalypse, although that should be hitting our shores probably any day now. Hoping Kingdom Death: Monster is as good as the record number of backers are praying.

Happily, there's already too much stuff that actually exists (and is proven) for me to stress about buying ideas. For now.
  • fillip 26 May 2013 10:47:05 896 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I like the look of A Study in Emerald but thought 50 was a bit steep for a deck builder. And, as much as I like AFAoS, Wallace did make a bit of a mistake with deck building in his last outing. Nice art on those cards though. One that I'll pick up after reviews I think.
  • Phattso Moderator 26 May 2013 11:24:21 13,623 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, I passed on the Martin Wallace one in the end although came very close. That 50 was to ship it anywhere in the world, which obviously doesn't mean much for you UK guys but was a massive plus for me. :)

@Dizzy the last few I backed were:

Snowdonia
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2012515236/snowdonia-2nd-edition-and-expansion

Coup
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2012515236/coup-bluff-and-deception-in-the-world-of-the-resis

Euphoria (not sure why this one tickled my fancy so much)
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jameystegmaier/euphoria-build-a-better-dystopia?ref=category

Relic Adventure
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2046785826/relic-expedition-a-jungle-adventure-game?ref=category

Xia (Not actually backed this one yet, as I'm not convinced it'll ever actually appear, but very tempted)
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1438045410/xia-legends-of-a-drift-system-0?ref=category

Likely not all classics, but it's interesting to take a punt. Some are quite keenly priced, others slightly taking the piss, but it'll be nice to bring something fresh to the table rather than the same old same old. :)
  • riz23 26 May 2013 11:49:23 1,359 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Phattso wrote:

I am riz23 and I am a kickstarter board game addict. I have put far too much money down on:

Archon - Still a few days left on this one

Canterbury - Still a few days left it could do with some love

Moby Dick or, the card game - Slightly arty game from some people in Brooklyn. A few days left here too.

A study in emerald - Funded. Pricey perhaps but it is Martin Wallace and a Neil Gaiman story? Game looks very deep. I'm in!

Coup - Love 'The resistance'. This is a good company straight up and honest. Funded (easily)

They are my more recent backings. I have placed a moratorium on it for now. It's quite addictive..

Edited by riz23 at 11:50:32 26-05-2013
  • repairmanjack 26 May 2013 17:56:42 6,071 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Phattso Snowdonia is great. Managed to pick up one of the few copies that made it over here last year.

In other news, first play of Last Night on Earth was rather fun. Simple enough and plays well as a two-player head to head game. Even the missus, who has never and will never watch a zombie movie, found it good fun.
  • Page

of 133 First / Last