Boardgames anyone? Page 63

• Page

of 110 First / Last

• Alastair 27 Mar 2013 21:57:17 14,970 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yep, doesn't involve uber-moolah, but it's a good solid game.

Erm, to be honest, your description sounds like Monopoly, but I'm guessing you've already discounted that. :)

Not as nice as I used to be

• Nemesis 27 Mar 2013 22:13:06 18,446 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Any ideas where I can pick up Tsuro at retail? I was hoping to have it ready for the weekend, but Amazon are saying (3rd party sellers) the middle of next week.

The local Waterstones are a bit light on the games, which is a shame as Canterbury had shitloads of stuff.

Edited by Nemesis at 22:13:32 27-03-2013
  • RichSG 28 Mar 2013 11:01:14 4 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Ah thanks speedofthepuma for directing me here!

Hey all, I just posted about the City of Horror boardgame that eurogamer reviewed- I bought it and have to say it's very good. Anyone else played it or any other good zombie boardgames?

Also has anyone played the battlestar galactica boardgame? My mate has it and we've played it once. The rules are a bit complicated but once you understand what's going on it's good fun!
  • AccidentProne 28 Mar 2013 11:09:11 1,130 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I bloody love the BSG game but most of my friends hate it for some reason, so it never gets played anymore. Can't bring myself to sell it though.

Hoping to play it in Eastbourne next week at this. Don't suppose anyone else off here is going?
  • cubbymoore 28 Mar 2013 11:53:19 36,442 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @RichSG You might want to repost your review on here. I thought it was worth a read myself, made me consider buying it.
  • RedSparrows 28 Mar 2013 12:01:21 20,765 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ticket to Ride is a good one, thanks!

Any other suggestions? How about uber capitalist horribleness that's not Monopoly?
  • cubbymoore 28 Mar 2013 12:02:50 36,442 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Powergrid often gets mentioned as a good alternative to Monopoly.
  • asphaltcowboy 28 Mar 2013 12:20:58 5,129 posts
    Seen 5 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    AccidentProne wrote:
    I bloody love the BSG game but most of my friends hate it for some reason, so it never gets played anymore. Can't bring myself to sell it though.
    Get new friends. BSG is the best boardgame that has ever existed.
  • AccidentProne 28 Mar 2013 12:22:07 1,130 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I know, I think there's something seriously wrong with them.
  • McGeeza 28 Mar 2013 12:33:16 914 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    cubbymoore wrote:
    Powergrid often gets mentioned as a good alternative to Monopoly.
    Powergrid is great and fits the bill, but i'm not sure whether it would play well with 2.
  • repairmanjack 28 Mar 2013 12:52:26 5,956 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've had loads of fun with Power Grid with two. I still regard it as my favourite game. Conversely, I'm still of the opinion that Ticket to Ride is dull and too simplistic for most people. It's a gateway game because you can learn the rules whilst in a coma.

I'm recommending Martin Wallace's London to anyone who listens right now. It's also £12 at www.boardgameguru.co.uk (a superb retailer).
  • repairmanjack 28 Mar 2013 12:53:44 5,956 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Also: there's a £6 expansion to Power Grid called The Robots. It creates randomised dummy players, so you can extend your two-player game into something meatier. Picked it up recently but haven't tried it yet, as we actually enjoy PG as is.

Also: everyone needs to know how amazing Claustrophobia is.
  • McGeeza 28 Mar 2013 13:09:59 914 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    repairmanjack wrote:
    I've had loads of fun with Power Grid with two. I still regard it as my favourite game.
    That's good to know. I've only played it with 3 or 4 and just assumed the auctions wouldn't be that interesting with 2.

I would still recommend Ticket to Ride for @RedSparrows and maybe move onto Power Grid (which is relatively a lot more complex) after that.
  • Nemesis 28 Mar 2013 19:30:45 18,446 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    :-( it'll have to wait.
  • X201 29 Mar 2013 06:37:58 14,705 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    " Jason Rohrer made a game and then buried it in the desert before anyone could play it

Jason Rohrer, designer of Passage, made a thing called A Game for Someone at this yearís Game Design Challenge at GDC. Itís a board game. The theme for the challenge was Humanityís Last Game, which he interpreted liberally. Strange story inside. "

http://www.vg247.com/2013/03/29/jason-rohrer-made-a-game-and-then-buried-it-in-the-desert-before-anyone-could-play-it/

:)
  • TheRealBadabing 29 Mar 2013 17:25:54 1,196 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just finished a game of Catan Junior and it's definitely a hit. Took about 10 minutes for the rules to be absorbed and then it was almost painful watching my 6 year old wait for her turn so she could do her trading/building, she was so excited.

Definitely feels like Catan but brilliantly adapted for kids. I will feel very confident introducing the full-fat version in a year or two.

Zombie dice has become a firm favourite too, despite her initial squeamishness about the subject matter.
  • Nemesis 31 Mar 2013 15:03:38 18,446 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm so ruined today. We decided to have a whole day of gaming....so Zombie Dice, Munchkin, Descent and then, winner of the day, Eclipse.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eclipse-ECLI01USASM-Board-Game/dp/B006L7KIWG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364738268&sr=8-1

The time playing Eclipse just flew by, I think we played it for a good 3 hours. Think of it as a 4X game, with hex tiles being placed in a shared central area. Victory points are awarded for owned Hex, tech progress, battles fought and won and so forth. The flow of the game is just superb, the character board in front of you gives you all your tech progress, resource, ship blueprints...on and on it goes.

I heard no complaints during the game or, worse still, anyone checking their phone (an indication it's not going well). I think we'll give BSG a go, but if you play this sort of stuff on the PC, you'll feel immediately at home.

Edited by Nemesis at 15:04:40 31-03-2013
  • cubbymoore 31 Mar 2013 20:26:56 36,442 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone know of any good online boardgames? I seem to be hitting a brick wall made from java with most of them now. I've tried Days Of Wonder, playcatan, and a few others, and not had much luck. Have they mostly been bogged down because of Java?
  • AccidentProne 31 Mar 2013 21:23:20 1,130 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yucata has some reasonable games. Though that's probably no help at all as it's Java as well...

Played a few on there with some EG folks, would be happy to do so again if anyone's interested?
  • repairmanjack 31 Mar 2013 21:44:46 5,956 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Damn. Another awesome game of A Few Acres of Snow down to the wire. Played out completely differently to the last round. Thanks to whoever recommended it on here. It really is one of the best two-player games I've yet seen.
  • fillip 1 Apr 2013 08:09:08 872 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @repairmanjack Fancy a game on yucata?
  • riz23 1 Apr 2013 09:56:18 1,056 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm always on Yucata. It was AccidentProne who turned me onto it a couple of years ago. There are a lots of games there these days. oldskooldeano is the user name if you want to send me an invite.
  • repairmanjack 1 Apr 2013 14:04:05 5,956 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    fillip wrote:
    @repairmanjack Fancy a game on yucata?
    I have absolutely no idea what that means. Sorry. :)

Currently learning the rules to Pax Porfiriana. It seems the majority of the regular reviewers have put it on the back burner as Eklund's rulebooks read more like cryptograms. Been going through them for three hours, on and off. I have the feeling this will be the tipping point; the game looks like a work of genius. I just need to fall into the damn thing.
  • fillip 1 Apr 2013 17:18:43 872 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @repairmanjack It means that you can play A Few Acres of Snow online at yucata.de. Against me :)
    It's a pretty reasonable interface and you don't need to play it 'live'.
  • andytheadequate 1 Apr 2013 19:03:34 7,972 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I've been doing a bit of research and have a few games on my shortlist. Which game do people prefer, Dominion or Agricola?
  • AccidentProne 1 Apr 2013 19:48:26 1,130 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ooh, tough call as they're very different games. Probably the best examples of their respective game types, so why not get both? If not, guess it comes down to whether you prefer the idea of card drafting or worker placement...

Can I make your choice even harder and suggest taking a look at Race for the Galaxy as well.
  • repairmanjack 1 Apr 2013 19:57:19 5,956 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think Race is too tricky for people unfamiliar with many of the concepts. It's a bear to teach too. I'd probably suggest San Juan first, if you can find it cheap. From there it's an easier step into tableau builders... or Puerto Rico itself.

Finished our game of Pax Porfiriana. Anyone who loves an overdose of theme in their games should try it. Rulebook is a little fruity but if I can get it anyone can.

Edited by repairmanjack at 19:57:45 01-04-2013
  • riz23 1 Apr 2013 21:30:29 1,056 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    RftG has poor icongraphy if you ask me and the cards can be confusing for beginners.

Agricola is a deeper game than Dominion, but Dominion you can play quickly, easily and repeatedly. My advice is..... buy both! They are both excellent games but quite different.

On a seperate note can I pimp the Eminent Domain expansion,Escalation Kickstarter project? I know there is a separate KS thread but it is better served here I think. The game is pretty good if you like sci-fi deck builders. The game (or indeed the game type itself) is often criticised for lack of direct conflict between players and the expansion looks to address that as well as add other stuff. They have nice stretch goals which is why I am asking here. The game is already over target, it was never in doubt. Check it out!
  • repairmanjack 2 Apr 2013 01:36:27 5,956 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, midnight was a bloody stupid time to start learning the rules to Eclipse.
  • Page

of 110 First / Last