Boardgames anyone? Page 58

• Page

of 139 First / Last

• Bremenacht 4 Mar 2013 20:02:39 19,666 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Any of you tried Panzer General: Alled Assault? It's based on the XBLA game, which I rather like. Better still, it has a sequel - Russian Assault- which has... miniatures! Cor. No sequel on XBLA, sadly.
  • daft 4 Mar 2013 20:47:35 554 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Lotos8ter Indeed, most certainly is in the sense that they picket a goal they knew they'd make and then portion out "stretch goals" for the duration. But I don't care really. I love the game, and know my friends will want to play the crap out of it. :)
  • spamdangled 4 Mar 2013 20:59:02 27,485 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    daft wrote:
    Zombicide Season 2 is up on Kickstarter and already funded: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/zombicide-season-2

I love Zombicide, have another session planned for Friday, so really looking forward to that. :)
    Zombicide is actually down for our games-to-play in two weeks' time. I'm seriously tempted to pick up season 2, but that would mean getting sidetracked from my current mission of getting every expansion for Arkham Horror and the CoC card game...

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• daft 5 Mar 2013 11:35:39 554 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @darkmorgado

Dude, I'm in the exact same boat here. I love Arkham Horror, it's quite another beast to Zombicide, and I will get some expansions for AH once I've paid the Zombicide season 2 kickstarter.

What I love about Zombicide is that it's fast and fluid, one second you're doing really good, next second massive zombie spawn and they get an extra activation and you're surrounded by living dead. It does have some holes in the rules, but they are easily house-ruled away. Everyone in my group loved it even though we ran scenario 1 for about 6 hours (one of the hardest in the book). We have session 2 on Friday, so it will be a shorter scenario, most probably from the campaign GG have put up on their website.

Personally I think it is well worth the money. But my group is a new group in that they haven't really played many board games, so perhaps "veterans" would feel differently. Please let me know what you think once you've had a chance to play it. :)
  • spamdangled 5 Mar 2013 11:44:07 27,485 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @daft

One of the criticisms I've seen levelled at it is that missions don't really seem to differ - the board might change, but in terms of pace, mechanics etc you're still doing exactly the same thing. Is that fair in your experience?

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• repairmanjack 5 Mar 2013 14:13:06 6,082 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @darkmorgado How was your first play of Clash of Cultures? Been trying to get it on the table again and haven't had a chance.

Did manage a first play of Snowdonia at the weekend - a worker placement game with a bit more complexity and scope than the likes of Waterdeep and Stone Age. Liked the way the game engine drives the pace of it, too. Supposedly a different experience every time.

Becoming something of a Martin Wallace fan. A couple of games of Age of Industry really impressed (never played Brass, but typically lack a necessary third player); London is a good tableau builder with a nice board and mechanics. About to sit down with the rulebook of A Few Acres of Snow. I'm purposefully avoiding too much web coverage of it, as I have no desire to be steered toward the "solution" to the game.

Edited by repairmanjack at 14:13:34 05-03-2013
  • daft 5 Mar 2013 14:40:23 554 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @darkmorgado

I haven't really played that many scenarios yet, but yeah, the mechanics are pretty much the same. Although, card draws might have you fighting off an Abomination while still in the blue experience zone. I did find the scenario we played a bit different in that we had to move around the board much more due to the many objective tokens. That meant if we dallied, we'd get swamped when trying to get the last objectives due to our increased experience level (we went up to red and triggerd lots of extra activations due to running out of zombie minis). Stuff like that differ a bit between scenarios which will change the pacing a bit. Sometimes you need to rush and open doors early to spawn all zombies in a building before you kill enough to go up to yellow or orange.
  • spamdangled 5 Mar 2013 14:47:22 27,485 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @daft

Ok, cheers. I see that the full rulebook is available as a free download online, might have a look at that and some of the other stuff on their site (seems to be around 30 free additional missions too).

• fillip 5 Mar 2013 14:49:28 897 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I really enjoy AFAoS. You will quickly discover the solution you allude to and I avoided all reading on the subject; only knowing the strategy name. We never got it down as tight as some of the more dedicated players but if you play the Brits and go for a siege victory the game logic kind of funnels you down this path.

That said even after this discovery we still had some great games. I enjoyed playing as the French and trying to foil the Brits when they tried the obvious. Some success even with the odds against you, but none of us are 'expert' players.

Then we started playing the random rule variants and still get a lot of fun out if it and can't see that ending soon. I play the odd game in yucata if you ever fancy a game.

Also playing and liking Snowdonia. I have London in my 'to play' pile so good to know you rate it and seem to like similar games.
  • spamdangled 5 Mar 2013 14:50:08 27,485 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    repairmanjack wrote:
    @darkmorgado How was your first play of Clash of Cultures? Been trying to get it on the table again and haven't had a chance.
    Sadly I missed out because I spent most of Sunday staring at the bottom of the toilet bowl, but they've said it will be cropping up on the list again soon, so I should get another chance in a month or so hopefully.

The lodger has gone and ordered Tannhauser, which looks pretty interesting. I'm still trying to decipher the manual to Android...

• repairmanjack 5 Mar 2013 14:59:59 6,082 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was really close to grabbing Tannhauser, but Gears of War and Claustrophobia are both so good that I can't see me needing another miniatures game for a long time.

I'm currently waiting for Kingdom Builder to drop to a decent price (see also the A Touch of Evil expansions); considering if the kid and I will enjoy Catacombs (never tried a dexterity game, I lose enough pieces just packing cardboard away, can't imagine how I'll fair with fantasy league Subbuteo); and eyeing news of a Cave Evil reprint.
  • Tomo 9 Mar 2013 15:41:52 13,998 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I am rapidly becoming a board game addict. Only been playing 'proper' board games for a month and now we have Catan, Princes of Florence and Puerto Rico.

I play 3-player mostly and I have a few questions...

- Is City of Horror any good with 3-players?
    - Any advice on good 3-player games?

I've currently got my eye on allsorts, including:
    Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride Europe, Robinson Crusoe (when it's out), Pandemic, Trajan, Clash of Cultures, City Hall and Risk Legacy. So. Many.

It's like I'm 6 years old again and have just discovered computer games.
  • spamdangled 9 Mar 2013 17:11:57 27,485 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Tomo

I'd suggest Arkham Horror, Red November, Chaos in the Old World, Ticket to Ride, Eclipse as very good 3-player games. For risk legacy, I think you really need 4 players to get the most out of it.

• spamdangled 9 Mar 2013 17:12:21 27,485 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Level 7 also works very well with 3 players.

• jabberwoky 9 Mar 2013 17:12:49 528 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Trajan is a bit heavy going, Tzolkin is similarish but much better IMO.
  • Deleted user 9 March 2013 17:13:38
    tomo - I am a massive advocate for risk legacy; best enjoyed with a constant group of five though
  • spamdangled 9 Mar 2013 17:14:13 27,485 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @jabberwoky

Depends how much you like worker placement/ eurogames games really.

Edited by darkmorgado at 17:14:55 09-03-2013

Edited by darkmorgado at 17:15:08 09-03-2013

• spamdangled 9 Mar 2013 17:16:50 27,485 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've gone and ordered another 3 asylum packs for Call of Cthulhu today.

/addicted

• andytheadequate 9 Mar 2013 18:58:27 8,375 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @cozeny - how exactly does it work? I know that the game changes as you progress, and things get added to the map etc, but other than that is it still the same Risk mechanics?

I played Ticket to Ride Europe again today, really enjoyed it and started to learn the tactics a bit more than the last time I played. I think it's best played with more players though
  • Deleted user 9 March 2013 19:39:42
    @andytheadequate it's a modified version of risk, which is significantly quicker. you don't need to conquer the whole board. the attacking is basically the same as vanilla risk, dice-on-dice action. I think it's closer to the new risk rules, which were designed by the same guy, rob daviau

basically, you start off with a base (which counts as a point) and a star (which is another point) and the objective is to get two other points (ie conquer bases, or gain stars)

games can be over inside 30 mins in the first few plays; as the game 'matures' things tend to take a bit longer.

the game changes in very meaningful and 'I said WOW' ways over the course of the 15-game campaign
  • Deleted user 9 March 2013 19:40:12
    TtR: europe is great imo. sometimes you just want to play ticket to ride
  • cubbymoore 9 Mar 2013 19:51:55 36,507 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    We've just played 6 games of carcassonne in a row. My gf and her housemate haven't quite got how to be ruthless in nicking cities or roads off each other so I'm winning a lot at the moment. I've seen them grasp the various strategies in the last few games so it should be more even hopefully. But they've already asked about getting the expansions so I think they're hooked :)

I've got forbidden island on its way too. I'm intrigued by the idea of cooperative games.
  • repairmanjack 9 Mar 2013 20:24:01 6,082 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Forbidden Island is great. If you enjoy it, at all, you should think about grabbing Pandemic by the same designer. It kind of opened the floodgates for all these co-ops.

One of my absolute favourites is Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island, but I don't think you'll find a copy for another few months now.

Having a game of "something" tonight with the missus and her pal. Not sure I can sway them to enjoy Spartacus... may be London or Power Grid.
  • Tomo 10 Mar 2013 00:58:38 13,998 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thanks for feedback chaps. What's a worker placement game? Don't know the definition.

Think TtR sounds like a must. And Carcassone.

Sad to hear Risk is only 4 :(. Think I'd struggle to find a fourth who'd want to devote the time to it.

I did order Love Letter today which is a card game based on a deck of 16 cards only. Sounds very intriguing!
  • repairmanjack 10 Mar 2013 01:49:49 6,082 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Tomo - where did you order Love Letter from? Can't find a copy anywhere.
  • spamdangled 10 Mar 2013 10:56:20 27,485 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Tomo

A worker placement game is where you place workers in different areas on the board in order to gain resources and/or points - Lords of Waterdeep being probably the most popular recent example.

They tend to be considered as "strategy-lite" games as they don't normally offer players many meaningful choices in the game.

• riz23 10 Mar 2013 22:17:42 1,474 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    @Tomo

A worker placement game is where you place workers in different areas on the board in order to gain resources and/or points - Lords of Waterdeep being probably the most popular recent example.

They tend to be considered as "strategy-lite" games as they don't normally offer players many meaningful choices in the game.
    Strategy-lite? I really cannot agree. Agricola, Caylus, Dominant Species, Troyes, Le Havre and Egizia are all worker placement games, and are some of the best of all games. All offer meaningful choices. You do them a disservice sir!

Edited by riz23 at 22:18:26 10-03-2013

GT: oldskooldeano

• McGeeza 10 Mar 2013 23:05:29 990 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Got Space Hulk 3rd to the table after sitting on the shelf for over 3 years. It was the catalyst for getting me back into boardgames in 2009, but my boys were a bit too young for it then.

Holy fuck the components are absolutely incredible. Apart from the amazing figures that is. Knowing what I know now about price versus component quality, I can't imagine GW made much of a profit on this endeavour, if at all. And such a great game. Simple, elegant and tense as fuck playing as the marines against the timer.

If you find a copy going for a reasonable price snap it up. Wonderful.

Edited by McGeeza at 23:06:25 10-03-2013
  • speedofthepuma 10 Mar 2013 23:31:15 13,320 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hi all, I'm just starting off board games with my son who is nearly 7. We are playing chess, Sequence, Monopoly etc. but I'm wondering if any of the more exotic board games might be simple enough at one level that we could start on one?

I fully understand the answer might be nope!

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• andytheadequate 10 Mar 2013 23:56:31 8,375 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ticket to ride is a very simple game to pick up, especially the original one (set in America)
  • Page

of 139 First / Last