Boardgames anyone? Page 45

• Page

of 139 First / Last

• repairmanjack 30 Jul 2012 22:47:26 6,082 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Put a second order in with dicebay: Friday and Zombies, 2nd Edition. They seem impossible to find anywhere else. Good prices too.

Got a pal coming over tomorrow for a game of something. Now can't decide what to play: Power Grid, Agricola or 1960: tMotP.

Oh, yeah. I should probably get the shrinkwrap off the Lord of the Rings card game this week too.
  • Deleted user 30 July 2012 22:56:38
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:
    Bought Dix It. It looks amazing but realised I don't have the friends to play it
    dixit is great but needs the right group and even the right frame of mind within that group

if you do manage to get it to the table, best to just go with the flow and not worry too much about 'winning'. all about the experience w/that one imo
  • repairmanjack 2 Aug 2012 13:56:00 6,082 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Grrr.... getting really fed up with ordering something that's listed as in stock, paying for it, only to get an email a week later saying they haven't got the items in. "On order" seems to be hobby-speak for "won't get any in for weeks".

I figure it's easier for these things to run out, as they're not printed in the massive amounts that other entertainment media is... which leads me to ask: if a new title comes out, is it better to grab it right then and there, even if you're not looking to play it for a while? How often do new editions of games or reprints generally take to come out?

Edited by repairmanjack at 13:56:19 02-08-2012
  • McGeeza 2 Aug 2012 19:56:43 990 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    From what i gather from BGG and the like boardgames can have print runs of as little as 500 so if it is something you think you'll want then don't hang around.

Triple A FFG stuff is less of a gamble because they probably have 10,000+ print runs.
  • repairmanjack 4 Aug 2012 12:19:41 6,082 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Found credit: is there anything better? :)

Infiltration on the way... and with that I'm done until Christmas. (Once, Zombies, Friday and Death Angel arrive, I mean.)

... and Munchkin. ahem.

Edited by repairmanjack at 12:20:13 04-08-2012
  • repairmanjack 6 Aug 2012 20:57:39 6,082 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Don't know if many people are aware of them, but wanted to give a small cheer for www.greenknightgames.co.uk - been really impressed with their service on my first order and I'd certainly throw cash at them again.

Just hopefully not too soon.
  • McGeeza 7 Aug 2012 01:01:41 990 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've never used them because in my experience boardgameguru.co.uk or iguk.co.uk have always been cheaper.
  • repairmanjack 7 Aug 2012 23:19:14 6,082 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Actually found IGUK a little more expensive for what I was looking for. BGG gets a double thumbs-up though. Fantastic prices and service.
  • McGeeza 8 Aug 2012 00:04:42 990 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah IGUK are usually dearer than BGG but they do have the occasional best price. We are talking a couple of quid though at the end of the day so not really a big issue.

Handy having a decent bunch of trustworthy etailers to choose from at the end of the day (or is that a bad thing? :) )
  • shamblemonkee 8 Aug 2012 10:57:42 14,661 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Picked up Risk:Legacy over the weekend, looks brilliant and can't wait to try it out. just struggling to ge tpeople together for a few games nights
  • repairmanjack 8 Aug 2012 11:00:49 6,082 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm starting to think I should stop checking this thread (and certainly stop reading Cardboard Children). Too many recommendations. :)

Infiltration arrived this morning - and looks ace. Hive is on the way. And my daughter's making noises about Zombie in my Pocket. Looks like she's turned to the cause as well then.
  • RedSparrows 8 Aug 2012 11:34:52 24,297 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    cba to trawl: Axis & Allies, anyone? Always wanted as a kid :(
  • asphaltcowboy 9 Aug 2012 12:42:18 5,143 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My impulse purchase of Tales of the Arabian Nights just turned up. Heavy box. Hope it's as good as THE INTERNET makes out.
  • repairmanjack 9 Aug 2012 12:48:07 6,082 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    asphaltcowboy wrote:
    My impulse purchase of Tales of the Arabian Nights just turned up. Heavy box. Hope it's as good as THE INTERNET makes out.
    You going to do any more with the Punchboard Kings blog? I've really enjoyed reading everything on it so far.
  • asphaltcowboy 9 Aug 2012 19:29:18 5,143 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Alas, I think neither KoS nor I have much time to do it. I would like to, but I can rarely find the inclination to do so... :(
  • fillip 13 Aug 2012 09:32:03 897 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone playing Summoner Wars on iOS? The asynchronous play is well done and I've been really enjoying it. I might pick up the Master Set box now.

Add me in (filliped) if you fancy a game.
  • repairmanjack 13 Aug 2012 12:10:37 6,082 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Got in a few games this weekend, as daughter and family were visiting: Zombies, Dominion, Infiltration (love this one!), Hive.

Then tried Friday, the solo game, for the first time. Christ, it's hard, but I love the mechanics.

Sadly, after my first go, Robinson Crusoe was indeed "fucked by friday".

Last purchase of the year (ahem), Quarriors, has arrived. Mmm, dice.
  • repairmanjack 17 Aug 2012 14:45:05 6,082 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Snagged a copy of the Resi Evil Deck Builder at last. Looking forward to unboxing it tomorrow.

If anyone has any interest in solitaire games, I really recommend Friday by Friedmann Friese. Getting to grips with it has been so satisfying.

My dad visited the other night, and now seems really intrigued for me to take over 1960: the Making of the President. Looks like another convert in the making.
  • Alastair 17 Aug 2012 14:57:16 16,408 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    repairmanjack wrote:
    Snagged a copy of the Resi Evil Deck Builder at last. Looking forward to unboxing it tomorrow.

If anyone has any interest in solitaire games, I really recommend Friday by Friedmann Friese. Getting to grips with it has been so satisfying.
    Is the Resi Evil game a solo one?

I had a game of Airships at lunchtime. Quite enjoyed it. Has anyone else played it?
  • repairmanjack 17 Aug 2012 15:07:55 6,082 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    repairmanjack wrote:

Is the Resi Evil game a solo one?
    You can play it that way or with a group, as far as I can make out. I hadn't intended to grab it yet, but it seems as rare as rocking-horse shit, so figured it was smart to pick it up.

Wish I'd had the presence of mind to do that for Flash Point, as the firefighter thing really speaks to my dad.
  • repairmanjack 19 Aug 2012 19:46:41 6,082 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sigh.

Whoever designed the insert for the Resi deck builder needs fucking. It's the worst I've ever seen. Not all of the cards fit in it, for a start. Game itself seems quality (at the unboxing and digging the newness level anyway).

Got a few games in this weekend: Zombie Dice, Quarriors, Monopoly Deal and plenty of Dominion. Nice to have some stuff that my daughter can play - hell, she frequently beats me, especially at Dominion. Think we're going to try to get a little Infiltration and Forbidden Island in too, this evening.
  • repairmanjack 3 Sep 2012 00:41:12 6,082 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If anyone out there is still playing boardgames, Boardgameguru have some copies of Castles of Burgundy going for 18.99. Seems very highly rated.

Wish K2 would drop to that price too.
  • Big_G 4 Sep 2012 08:09:20 33 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    www.foyles.co.uk have some FFG products for seriously cheap. No delivery charge either. Just snagged the LotR LCG Hobbit saga expansion for 15 which is an insane price seeing as the cheapest online retailers haven't gone below 21/22.

Link shamelessly stolen from the BGG forums.
  • repairmanjack 4 Sep 2012 11:24:19 6,082 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As soon as I saw how good some of the deals were I closed the page. :)

Spent way too much on this hobby in the past three months.
  • RyanDS 4 Sep 2012 11:27:53 9,861 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Um... how do you find the deals? Do you have to search each game separately?
  • Big_G 6 Sep 2012 10:39:58 33 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Foyles and Book Depository are similar inasmuch as they sell board games but have no boardgames section on their websites. And searching for anything vague will not yield good results.

The best say is go search for specific titles, which is a pain in the ass, but the only effective way of finding the cheapest stuff.
  • andytheadequate 6 Sep 2012 13:38:42 8,375 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @RedSparrows - I have the Europe and Dday versions. A great game but they can go on for a long time, and the set up take ages too.

The Europe one can be played by 4 players but its far better as a 2 or 3 player game IMO, as Britain and America don't have enough to do on their own.

I've only ever played the world (the original one) version on the PC. Each nation is probably better balanced as they have more to do (e.g. America isn't heavily involved in Europe but they are in the Pacific), but the fighting is less focussed and a little bit less tense IMO. Often one good round can cripple an opponent whereas in Europe
    it's more difficult to do that.

I'm tempted to get the Pacific version of the boardgame, and I've heard there is a way to combine the Pacific and Europe games to make one game, but I'm not really sure how that will work

Edited by andytheadequate at 13:39:52 06-09-2012
  • repairmanjack 6 Sep 2012 23:57:34 6,082 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Initially thought to be a pricing error - or typical poor sportsmanship - tesco.direct are listing Ticket to Ride the card game for £13. It's actually the £30 board game version. They cancelled three orders for it before finally honouring the fourth. Picked it up earlier from my local branch.

Others on BGG have found orders blocked or cancelled but if you persevere you might get lucky.
  • faux-C 7 Sep 2012 00:19:51 9,651 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Big_G wrote:
    www.foyles.co.uk have some FFG products for seriously cheap. No delivery charge either. Just snagged the LotR LCG Hobbit saga expansion for 15 which is an insane price seeing as the cheapest online retailers haven't gone below 21/22.

Christ, that's where I work. I should probably tell someone about this :lol::lol:
  • Big_G 7 Sep 2012 07:29:02 33 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    faux_carnation wrote:
    Big_G wrote:

Christ, that's where I work. I should probably tell someone about this :lol::lol:
    Can you process my order before telling your bosses, please? :D

Seriously I ordered it on Monday and it's still "processing".
  • Page

of 139 First / Last