Boardgames anyone? Page 5

• Page

of 119 First / Last

• RyanDS 19 Oct 2010 16:41:52 9,052 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    markh wrote:
    ryandsimmons wrote:
    Tonight I am introducing Arkham Horror to a few mates. (Who all play quite a lot of boardgames.) It'll be interesting to see how quickly people pick it up.

Good luck!

We had an 8 player game of Arkham Horror one Bank Holiday Monday. It took about 8 hours and once we got to the end only one person could actually damage the ancient one! It was still great though :)

I quite often play 2 or 3 player games of it which you can fit into a few hours if everyone knows the rules.

I play a lot of 2 player games with the wife, and we can generally get it done in 2 hours. Fingers crossed for tonight...
  • riz23 19 Oct 2010 16:42:15 1,149 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Got to jump into this thread. BSG is indeed a great game. Total Paranoia, and false accusations being thrown around the room. Last time we played we were convinced a guy was the cylon and gave him hard time wouldn't support him in any actions. Of course we were totally wrong and we all felt bad afterwards.
    Does anyone live in Brighton and want to play some board games? Most of my work buddies who I played with are in London or elsewhere. I would love to play locally. Dominion, Caylus Magna Carta, Cosmic Encounter (My fave), Power Grid, Agricola and Pandemic? Stuff like that? PM if you want.
  • KingOfSpain 19 Oct 2010 19:47:26 5,187 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cosmic Encounter is another game which I keep hearing about, I really must give it a go.

So far, the list of games I want to introduce to my fledgling gaming group is;

Arkham Horror
    Power Grid
    Cosmic Encounter
    And Pandemic
  • Tyggen 20 Oct 2010 06:38:35 135 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    dancingrob wrote:
    Tyggen - I also disagree. If someone is out of it after just two turns, something has gone severely wrong. The game is well designed to allow people to catch up easily with the switching of turn order every turn making it quite easy to recover from a poor early game position.

it's when you get to the 2nd era, with people getting locked out of nearby cities that things start to get cut-throat.

Well, from the 10~ times I've played this the following happened every single time. In turn 1-3 one player picks up an advantage from a better power plant, in turn 3-4+ said player keeps that advantage until the end of the game. The last time I played it was on Sunday, with two players, and the same happened. I could power 4 cities and my opponent 2. You do the math :)

I think you missed my point of saying the game was severely imbalanced with a [u]low number of players[/u], for all I know it's fantastic with 4+ but I never had a chance to check.
  • DevilsKebab 20 Oct 2010 07:45:38 645 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ryandsimmons wrote:
    #d be up for a London boardgames meet.

Know a few decent pubs around as well.

S.J.Rogers, would be tempted if you were in London, but tonight is also "roll up new D&D characters night" so it's a bit of a closed shop really.

Well, if you get this off the ground then let me know...
    Long time board gamer here, have mostly horror/zombie style board games, and live in London.

Even if any of you guys have Catan or Ticket to Ride on XBL, add me and let's have a game
    I'm DKebab on there
  • robthehermit 21 Oct 2010 12:49:36 3,966 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cough

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• Onny 21 Oct 2010 13:16:13 5,697 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tyggen wrote:
    I think you missed my point of saying the game was severely imbalanced with a [u]low number of players[/u], for all I know it's fantastic with 4+ but I never had a chance to check.

According to BGG, it is "best with 4-5 players", so that tallies with what you're saying.

It's my birthday tomorrow, and I'm thinking about treating myself to another boardgame. Tempted by Pandemic, but has anyone any good experiences with a game which scales nicely from 2 players+? It will mostly be played by the wife and I.

I already have:

- Dominion
    - Carc
    - Forbidden Island
    - Bohnanza

Any suggestions will be considered and greatly appreciated! On that note, has anyone played Small World?
  • dancingrob 21 Oct 2010 14:01:04 1,154 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Tyggen

with Power Grid, I still don't quite understand how things can go so badly wrong in the first few turns. Setting up a new power plant generally costs 15-20 a time, so if one player is powering 4 plants, and the other only 2, the second player should have lots of spare cash to upgrade their power plants and be able to go from there? If you'd said in the middle game, I'd agree, as the game is often 'over' around 2/3s of the way through with just two players, but I've always found a poor start easy to recover from.

@ Onny

Small World is ok, but not one of my favourites. It's largely based on an earlier game called Vinci, which I had a lot of fun with before the flaw with the endgame became too apparent. Vinci only ever really worked with 4 or 5 players, but I seem to remember Small World scales to different numbers much better.
  • Salaman 21 Oct 2010 14:08:58 18,854 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is this Battlestar Galactica potentially suitable for people who never saw the TV series and are normally playing Settlers, Carcassone and such?
    It sounds interesting.
  • KingOfSpain 21 Oct 2010 14:19:00 5,187 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The group who I introduced it to on Friday consisted of 5 people who had seen and loved BSG and one person who hadn't even heard of it.

Everyone loved it, although it did take the guy who had never seen it before a couple of turns to connect with the theme but once he did he was ok.

I would say that I think it would help if some members of the group had seen it, just so they can try and get across some of the finer details. For example, knowing little things like why Galactica takes so long to prep for a FLT jump or the difference between a Raider and a Heavy Raider will make life easier.

Also, knowing why some characters have certain negative attributes. Our non-BSG fan was confused by the fact that Adama couldn't send people to the brig via the Admirals Quarters or why the President had to discard card because she was ill.

They're all little things really but they all help colour in the wider picture. If you have someone there who can answer these questions it might help but at the end of the day it's themes of betrayal, suspicion and teamwork are universal.
  • KingOfSpain 21 Oct 2010 14:36:40 5,187 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh and Salaman, in case you missed it, this is a frankly awesome article over at Rock Paper Shotgun about the Battlestar Galactica game written by a person who's never see it before. It made me go out and buy the game the next day.
  • S.J.Rogers 21 Oct 2010 15:26:03 3,557 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    riz23 wrote:
    Got to jump into this thread. BSG is indeed a great game. Total Paranoia, and false accusations being thrown around the room. Last time we played we were convinced a guy was the cylon and gave him hard time wouldn't support him in any actions. Of course we were totally wrong and we all felt bad afterwards.
    Does anyone live in Brighton and want to play some board games? Most of my work buddies who I played with are in London or elsewhere. I would love to play locally. Dominion, Caylus Magna Carta, Cosmic Encounter (My fave), Power Grid, Agricola and Pandemic? Stuff like that? PM if you want.

Its a shame you live in Brighton and not Bournemouth, i would love to make a board Gaming group here...
  • boo 21 Oct 2010 15:54:17 11,703 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Count me in for a North London / Central London Boardgame group.

I'm afraid, due to the fact that Mrs Boo and all my friends look at boardgames like something that should be scraped off your shoe, I'm a bit of a noob.

I just look at the boxes and think 'Wish I had someone to play that with.'

/is a total iPad Carcassonne addict though

Just Another Lego Blog

• Salaman 21 Oct 2010 15:58:19 18,854 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I like the sound of the whole traitor dynamic ... I might stick this on my Xmas list.
  • Salaman 21 Oct 2010 16:05:05 18,854 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    KingOfSpain wrote:
    Oh and Salaman, in case you missed it, this is a frankly awesome article over at Rock Paper Shotgun about the Battlestar Galactica game written by a person who's never see it before. It made me go out and buy the game the next day.

Thanks for that.

MUST. HAVE. THIS. GAME!
  • boo 21 Oct 2010 16:47:40 11,703 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    /also reads article

/buys game

/attempts to buy like-minded friends

Just Another Lego Blog

• KingOfSpain 21 Oct 2010 17:55:16 5,187 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That BSG article on RPS is part of a weekly column by Robert Florence (he of Consolevania and Videogaiden fame) called Cardboard Children. If you searched for Cardboard Children over on RPS you'll find his other very interesting articles on board games.

While I'm at it, Robert's website Downtime Town is very good and his video reviews are ate">Nothing short of amazing especially his Space Hulk video and the awesome song at the end.

Anyway, I'm sure all those links are old news to board game vets but I only discovered them this week so I intend to share them :)
  • KingOfSpain 24 Oct 2010 17:44:17 5,187 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You remember that Space Hulk night i was looking forward too? Well, it didn't happen. My brother forgot to bring the game round so we ended up playing FIFA all night.

Anyway, in other news this weeks' RPS Cardboard Children article is on Arkham Horror, which is rather apt considering it's been featured a lot in this thread recently. Check it out, it's a good read, although it doesn't really clear up if I should buy it or not :(
  • the_dudefather 24 Oct 2010 17:49:26 9,181 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    the BSG game is awesome, never saw the show, but the game is great

lots of great arguments, strategies and moments of nail biting glory as everything falls to shit on the ship

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• MistaGav 24 Oct 2010 17:59:17 90 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've got the board game Zombies!!! on the way which should be fun, I've played it before with some mates and decided I have to have it!
    It's a game for 2-6 players and the objective is to try and kill 25 zombies or escape to the helicopter. The cool thing being that the 'board' is made up of tiles which are shuffled meaning no two games are the same. There's also a load of cards you get which can mean mutual alliances or trying to stop others from accomplishing their goals.

I also wish GW would release Space Hulk as a proper board game as it's up to 100 on ebay now :@
  • Chopsen 24 Oct 2010 18:04:25 15,702 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've bought BSG on the strength of this thread (and rewatching the series on the strength of receiving the game). Not played it yet but hoping to get a 4 player game next weekend. Read the rule book and it sounds not too complicated. The other 2 we're playing with haven't seen the series so I'll see how that goes.

/taps foot impatiently waiting for next weekend
  • phAge 24 Oct 2010 18:32:48 24,336 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    KingOfSpain wrote:
    You remember that Space Hulk night i was looking forward too? Well, it didn't happen. My brother forgot to bring the game round so we ended up playing FIFA all night.
    Unlucky. :(
  • KingOfSpain 24 Oct 2010 20:44:15 5,187 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    For those that are interested, a new BSG expansion has been announced!

It's called Exodus and gives the players 3 different options which they can choose to implement into their games or not. It does sound rather awesome.

Has anyone played with the first expansion, Pegasus? I'm thinking I'll pick that up before Exodus but I'm looking forward to playing with both.
  • Onny 24 Oct 2010 20:56:11 5,697 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've heard Pegasus introduces some poor game mechanics - read a few reviews before you go for it.

Bought Ravenloft with my birthday money - can't wait for it to come! Will write a report here after we've played it, if anyone is interested. :-)
  • firef7y 24 Oct 2010 21:05:47 22 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I play Monopoly about once a month. I hate it when Im winning and, the cheating gits decide to sell everythign to someone else for a dollar.

the iphone game is ok though a bit easy, the new Monopoly videogame looks interesting.
  • KingOfSpain 24 Oct 2010 21:10:08 5,187 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Onny wrote:
    I've heard Pegasus introduces some poor game mechanics - read a few reviews before you go for it.

Bought Ravenloft with my birthday money - can't wait for it to come! Will write a report here after we've played it, if anyone is interested. :-)

I've read a few reviews and it's sounded peachy so far!

I think that if I was to pick it up I'd choose not to play with the New Caprica game board however. It just seems to be designed to keep you playing for an extra hour, which in a game that lasts for 3 hours or so isn't really needed.

The rest of Pegasus looks ace.

As for Exodus, I like the idea of the CAG and the Cylon Fleet game board. If I had one complaint about BSG it would be that the space combat needed to be fleshed out a little bit and this expansion looks like it intends to make it a bit more interesting, but i guess we won't really know until it's released.
  • KingOfSpain 28 Oct 2010 15:35:56 5,187 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just got my grubby hands on Chaos in the Old World, with plans of getting into it tomorrow night. I've read some really positive thing about it so I'm a little excited.

Just reading the rules and getting to grips to how it plays now. It does look very interesting and it should be fun to play as one of the Warhammer Chaos Gods!
  • Onny 29 Oct 2010 09:37:33 5,697 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dammit KoS, you seem to be buying and playing every game I want! Hahaha. Post impressions please!

So my Castle Ravenloft arrived yesterday, and I roped my wife and niece into playing an introductory game. It was great! Really good fun. The rulebook is a bit ambiguous at times, but once we got into the swing of it things progressed quickly. The designers have clearly put a lot of thought into how to make it D&D lite, and IMO it's a success - once you're up to speed, games shouldn't take longer than about an hour.

Something especially cool (imo) is the fact that each defined player character has a range of skills to choose from when they start the game - but they can't take them all. This allows you to customise your character to a certain extent, so your Ranger in game 1 may play differently in game 2 due to the skills you've chosen.

I think the theme may be difficult to sell to people as it is quite obviously neckbeard territory - my brother, for example, won't play it based on that alone. But if you can get over that it is a very quick, fun dungeon crawl.

It helps if you let the Harry Potter fans be the wizard in the first game ;)

Edit: quick note about cost. The game is on the more expensive side (I got mine for 45), but you do get a lot for that price. The minatures (of which there are 40+) are highly detailed, and all the cards and cardboard tiles/markers are of a high quality. Also, the replayability is high not only because of the character "customisation", but because here are already high quality fan-made quests being posted on the net.
    God - I can't wait to play it again tonight! :)
  • KingOfSpain 30 Oct 2010 09:51:14 5,187 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Chaos in the Old World is awesome!
    For those who don't know what it is - you play one of the four Evil Chaos Gods and you must corrupt and dominate the Old World. However the twist is that each of the four Gods have different powers and abilities, meaning they play very differently. Khorn, for example, is the Blood God. He just wants to kill everything he see and let the blood flow. Playing as him involves many battles against the other players as you try to take advantage of your superior daemons. You can expect the other Gods to run away form you if they can! (pussies!)

Nurgle is the God of decay and pestilence. He doesn't care about blood. He just want to corrupt the populace. His army of daemons is much weaker than Khorne's but he has some great abilities which help him spread decay across the land.

The best thing about the game though is that as well as the standard why of achieving victory each of the different Gods also have another separate path to victory which encourages them to play to their strengths. Using Khorne as the example again, he gets a "tick" on his individual victory path every time he kills a figure in a region. The Khorne player is basically tricked into roleplaying their character if they want to win.

We had our first game yesterday with the same group who played BSG a couple of weeks ago and everyone really enjoyed it. Everyone got into their role and played their Gods' tactics fantastically well.

I found the rules easier to understand than BSG's and the way the Round mechanic worked is very interesting.

I was a little worried that my mates would be put off by the Warhammer theme but I don't thing they even noticed to be honest!

Anyway, I highly recommend it.

They only issues we had was that it is a 4 player game and our group is normally 5 or 6. We got around this by letting the extra person team-up with another god.

If you still have doubts about CitOW, click hear for a great review
  • BanjoMan 30 Oct 2010 09:56:34 13,730 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lord of the Rings Risk is a Sunday afternoon timesink. Have to be in the mood for it, but it's a lot of fun with 3 or 4 players.

PSN: BanjoFett
    XBL: Banjo Fett

• Page

of 119 First / Last