Sky HD - Worth It? Alternatives?

• Page

of 39 First / Last

Previous
  • King_Cnut 4 Oct 2007 14:09:14 615 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hi all,

Just bought an HD TV and I'm waiting for it to arrive. I've already got Sky + and Multiroom at home so I thought I'd enquire about Sky HD. After the nice lady on the phone tried to sell me Sky Talk and broadband she finally got around to saying that, as I'd been with them for 3 years, I could have a Sky HD box for a tiny 199 plus an extra 10 per month.

I'm right in thinking that's bollocks aren't I?

Anyway, I said no, and then wondered if there were any other ways I could obtain Sky HD. Any ideas? Is eBay my friend, or should I not bother even trying? She said that once I'd paid my 199 the box was mine, so people might be selling them on I suppose.

Also, when's the Freeview HD coming out? Soon? 2050?

Ta

Stu
  • Deleted user 4 October 2007 14:12:59
    On the website it's 169 if you've been with 'em 3 years, plus 10 a month. Otherwise 200.

• glaeken 4 Oct 2007 14:13:11 10,976 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Check the Sky web site as I have a feeling you could probably get the HD box for 99

Sky have a weird thing going where they charge existing customers more than new customers on some of their deals but I have heard a couple of times of people rasing this when they have phoned Sky and then they got the lower deal.
  • Physically_Insane 4 Oct 2007 14:13:32 7,859 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Freeview HD! Didn't even know that was in the pipeline.
  • ecureuil 4 Oct 2007 14:14:41 76,016 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sky broadcast in 1080p, don't they? I remember reading they have a higher quality service than the US TV networks.
  • Youthist 4 Oct 2007 14:15:29 9,896 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sky HD is fantastic if you like sport. And Nature programs. Utterly fantastic.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• billythekid 4 Oct 2007 14:16:05 10,803 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Only 1080i broadcasts I believe. Not enough bandwidth or something for 1080p.
  • TheSaint 4 Oct 2007 14:17:10 13,629 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Always tempted by this myself but if they want me to sign up then either make the box cheaper or scrap the extra 10 a month.
  • nickthegun 4 Oct 2007 14:17:26 55,849 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They dont go for much less than that on ebay, about 170 and a similar price in those indie satellite shops, I believe.

I know someone who bought one from a satellite shop and installed it himself to save a bit of cash.

The box itself puts out 1080i signal which can be set to scale at 720p.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Deleted user 4 October 2007 14:17:50
    Post deleted
  • jimmyjimbob 4 Oct 2007 14:19:10 313 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    For me, at least the picture is a hell of a lot better on all the SD channels compared to my old Sky+ box. That said, I don't think for the current amount of channels it's worth the extra 10 sub fee.

What content there is very good, but there's just not enough of it
  • Physically_Insane 4 Oct 2007 14:20:26 7,859 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    How many channels are in HD?
  • Physically_Insane 4 Oct 2007 14:23:28 7,859 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fruit_Salad wrote:
    Physically_Insane wrote:
    How many channels are in HD?

Whaaaa!!!
  • istandfreed 4 Oct 2007 14:24:17 2,378 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Sky broadcast in 1080p, don't they? I remember reading they have a higher quality service than the US TV networks.

Pretty sure i read its 720p they broadcast in at the moment.
  • kalel 4 Oct 2007 14:24:40 83,874 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    People are still gettting conned for being early adopters. It's not a train worth getting on yet imo (unless you can get awat with paying the child's fare).
  • nickthegun 4 Oct 2007 14:28:39 55,849 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    People are still gettting conned for being early adopters. It's not a train worth getting on yet imo (unless you can get awat with paying the child's fare).

HDTV Rips are, currently the way forward until the service is a bit more comprehensive, yeah.

He totally called it

• Amajiro 4 Oct 2007 14:28:55 2,214 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's definitely broadcast in 1080i - the box scales to 720p.

I have Sky HD and it is GREAT on my 42" plasma. Nearly all the domestic sports are Hi Def, and they have two HD movie channels. Plus you get BBC HD which is pretty much worth the asking price alone.

I'd recommend it to anyone.
  • Deleted user 4 October 2007 14:29:02
    Lol. My brother has Sky HD so I just sent him a text to ask if he thought 169 was worth it for what you got. His reply reads as follows:

"Is it fuck."

Still, now I've got a woman-type-person moving in soon, I might get it, as that usually means watching more telly....
  • GreasyWeasel 4 Oct 2007 14:29:32 463 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    istandfreed wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:

Pretty sure i read its 720p they broadcast in at the moment.

Nope it's definitely 1080i and I only end up watching the footy in HD, which does look a lot better though. I agree with Jimmyjimbob though, the box gives a better picture for the standard SD channels but that probably just because you aren't forced into using crappy RGB scart since you can output via component or hdmi.

I've been considering cancelling my 10 sub because it just doesn't get enough use.

It's worth noting that you don't have to pay the 10 sub for BBC HD but then you will be forced to pay the full price for the box which is 399 I think.
  • King_Cnut 4 Oct 2007 14:32:36 615 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Had a good old rummage on the Sky site, and you can get the box for 169 if you've been with them for 3 years, but then there's that one-off 30 charge for installation.

As I've already got Sky+ and multiroom I guess that means they've have to put another cable through the wall for the HD box. What a cock-up that was last time: wanted them to put the dish on the chimney (house has two storeys) so booked the "high installation team". They came round and said "Sorry mate, that's too high"! WTF! The "not-very-high installation team" more like.

Anyway, for 12 channels it's not worth 10. If the box was 99 and HD was free then maybe, but now?

Nah.
  • Deleted user 4 October 2007 14:35:01
    DaveE wrote:
    its pretty pointless owning a HD telly without HD channels isnt it?

Er, not if you play 360 or PS3 a lot and don't watch much telly...
  • FooAtari 4 Oct 2007 14:46:38 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No way.

Sky+ is great. Especially since the wrote off the ten quid extra I paid for it.

but SkyHD is not. Pay an extra tenner for channels you already pay for. And the list of channels is HD is small and includes crap like Arts World...

Nope I'm waiting on this one.
  • FooAtari 4 Oct 2007 14:49:13 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I know. Was just saying :)
  • billythekid 4 Oct 2007 14:51:02 10,803 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fruit_Salad wrote:
    Sky HD is rubbish. ITV isn't HD so Coronation Street HD is out. So what's the point.

Who the fuck would want to see that Blanche woman or Hayleyman in HD?
  • moggsy 4 Oct 2007 14:59:10 3,860 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There was some interesting news on the Freeview HD front recently, which could mean that that a Freeview HD channel is launched by the BBC as early as next year.

But you'll need a new box. And that box could be out of date in a year or two. And the channel will only broadcast in the middle of the night by using bandwidth taken up by other channels during the day.

:-(
  • nickthegun 4 Oct 2007 14:59:47 55,849 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Could be worse. Eastenders in HD isnt even worth thinking about.

He totally called it

• steellam 4 Oct 2007 15:00:39 1,045 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you are looking at it from a total value for money aspect then i would say it isnt really worth it as yet, however I use the TV all the time and my sky+ box broke so I went for it and have never regreted it.

Footie is a million times better and there is alot of good stuff on bbc hd including a few films.

Discovery and History channel are excellent content and quality but only any good if you like that kind of program.

The box itself has hdmi, component and optical connections so i could put all my sources through my hdmi switching av amp with ease.
  • nickthegun 4 Oct 2007 15:07:57 55,849 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is that the middle aged Samantha J. Anus or the pre-operative transsexual?

He totally called it

• Page

of 39 First / Last

Previous