Top Gear returns Page 4

• Page

of 142 First / Last

• smoothpete 8 Oct 2007 15:11:15 31,017 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm not a great fan of those stripped down cars. The Lambo looked great but what is the point, really? The original is gorgeous anyway! Plus, on roads like that you're really going to want the convertible, I bloody would anyway. Going through those tunnels with 2 other convertible penis extensions blasting out those revs - fuck yeah. F430 Spider for me please.
  • TwistidChimp 8 Oct 2007 15:12:52 8,825 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    I'm not a great fan of those stripped down cars. The Lambo looked great but what is the point, really? The original is gorgeous anyway! Plus, on roads like that you're really going to want the convertible, I bloody would anyway. Going through those tunnels with 2 other convertible penis extensions blasting out those revs - fuck yeah. F430 Spider for me please.

Just to be clear, I wasn't talking about the Lambo Clarkson took on the holiday, I was talking about the new Reventon they only had a pic of.
  • smoothpete 8 Oct 2007 15:16:38 31,017 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    TwistidChimp wrote:
    smoothpete wrote:

Just to be clear, I wasn't talking about the Lambo Clarkson took on the holiday, I was talking about the new Reventon they only had a pic of.
    Cool, that wasn't in reply to yours BTW, I started typing and got sidetracked by google images of supercars

That thing looks like some kind of crazy-assed Batmobile. I'll take an SLR Mclaren over that (and everything else) any day of the week ;)
  • PES_Fanboy 8 Oct 2007 15:27:58 11,632 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    espy wrote:
    Hmm, I thought this one was rather dull, actually :/

Yeah, me too. Too many cars.
  • glo 8 Oct 2007 16:15:06 3,415 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    PES_Fanboy wrote:
    espy wrote:
    Hmm, I thought this one was rather dull, actually :/

Yeah, me too. Too many cars.

my girlfriend thought it was one of the most boring hours of her entire life.

she is never a big fan of the programme but last night's really irritated her for some reason.
  • Deleted user 8 October 2007 16:16:39
    Maybe she didn't like Hammond's new haircut?
  • PES_Fanboy 8 Oct 2007 16:16:59 11,632 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I love cars, but frankly last night's TG was, for me, caught between trying to do a factual show and doing their comedy schtick.

Pick one side, lads. At least they didn't do a 5th Gear 'safety' piece I suppose.
  • jellyhead 8 Oct 2007 16:17:15 24,350 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I quite enjoyed it, more of that and less of the Brainiacs style nonsense to come i hope.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• WoodenSpoon 8 Oct 2007 16:18:31 12,251 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    I quite enjoyed it, more of that and less of the Brainiacs style nonsense to come i hope.

+1

Stupid challenges with Combine Harvesters and the like FTL
  • X201 8 Oct 2007 16:19:58 14,696 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I like the safety stuff actually.
    I've got a far higher chance of being hit by a twat in a people carrier or hitting a lamp post. than driving a sports car with 5 zeros on it's price tag.

• glo 8 Oct 2007 16:22:07 3,415 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    disussedgenius wrote:
    Maybe she didn't like Hammond's new haircut?

No, I believe she was indifferent to that. She did enjoy them blaming Fifth Gear for the arson attack but other than that found it all really boring.

It probably didn't help that we ended up watching a few old episodes on some satellite channel over the weekend when there was nothing else on and she was maybe all Top-Geared out.

I think it will be difficult to keep the programme fresh this series but considering the other crap on TV will still be watching it.
  • PES_Fanboy 8 Oct 2007 16:22:27 11,632 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    I've got a far higher chance of being hit by a twat in a people carrier or hitting a lamp post. than driving a sports car with 5 zeros on it's price tag.

I don't like the absurdity of the tests they do though. Crash a car into a wall at 70mph (likelihood?) with a box of tissues on the back seat, into a specific place on a particular motorway = carnage, oh noes!

It's just scaremongering.
  • X201 8 Oct 2007 16:24:25 14,696 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PES_Fanboy wrote:
    X201 wrote:

I don't like the absurdity of the tests they do though. Crash a car into a wall at 70mph (likelihood?) with a box of tissues on the back seat, into a specific place on a particular motorway = carnage, oh noes!

It's just scaremongering.

That is yep, I was thinking more of those Swedish lamp posts they had on a few years ago
  • ResidentKnievel 8 Oct 2007 16:50:53 5,872 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Im lovin it so far and hope they can keep up the quality

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• urban 8 Oct 2007 17:03:08 10,892 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    seemed to drag a little bit at the beginning of the search for the best road, but got better with time.

i laughed ALOT though so its all good.
  • Singularity 8 Oct 2007 17:04:03 2,427 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't think I've ever laughed harder than the cut to Naked James.
  • nickthegun 8 Oct 2007 17:05:31 55,848 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Singularity wrote:
    I don't think I've ever laughed harder than the cut to Naked James.

Yeah, I wasnt really enjoying the feature until then, when I did actually LOL.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• sanctusmortis 8 Oct 2007 19:41:51 9,590 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is this repeated? Totally missed it.
  • Scimarad 8 Oct 2007 20:08:06 8,500 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TwistidChimp wrote:
    Nevermind...

/drools

Fantastic - I was meaning to google for that but I forgot.
  • semprini 10 Oct 2007 21:17:17 3,144 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You know when you hear a piece of music and you can't remember where it's originally from?

Hoping someone can place it.
    Last half of the recent Top Gear episode here.

About 20:20 in, i thought it was from Cinema Paradiso but it's not (at least not from the clip i found to remind me). It's from a film, I just don't know which one, and it's really bugging me now.

Anyone?
  • Idoru 10 Oct 2007 22:06:27 368 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    NatAttack wrote:
    Hammy had a bit of a fashion disaster all round tbh.

didn't he just.

He looked like the bastard offspring of Anne Diamond and Mark Lawrenson, wearing the leftover wardrobe from Eddie Izzard circa 1995..
  • semprini 11 Oct 2007 09:34:29 3,144 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    semprini wrote:
    You know when you hear a piece of music and you can't remember where it's originally from?

Hoping someone can place it.
    Last half of the recent Top Gear episode here.

About 20:20 in, i thought it was from Cinema Paradiso but it's not (at least not from the clip i found to remind me). It's from a film, I just don't know which one, and it's really bugging me now.

Anyone?
    Bumped for any of the daytime crowd that might be feeling helpful?
  • tombo 11 Oct 2007 10:27:12 2,078 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This site might have what you're looking for...
  • semprini 11 Oct 2007 10:41:20 3,144 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thanks Tombo, nice find - very detailed breakdown of the songs used.

The piece I recognised was Luis Bacalov - The Grand Duel, which on hearing the whole thing, I've remembered is also used in the Kill Bill soundtrack.

cheers!
  • tombo 11 Oct 2007 10:53:15 2,078 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No probs :)
  • spindizzy 11 Oct 2007 11:06:22 6,400 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I loved the "search for the best road" - I might have to drive over there and have a go on a few of them.

The "car in a reasonably priced car" bit bores me to tears though.

All in all - 8/10.
  • nickthegun 11 Oct 2007 11:10:41 55,848 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    spindizzy wrote:
    The "car in a reasonably priced car" bit bores me to tears though.

The problem seems to be that they have run out of 'Car' people and are getting on people who dont really give a shit.

The likes of Coogan who really care and reel off a list of their cars and driving anecdotes seem fairly few and far between.

I mean, Helen fucking Mirren.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• cheese001 11 Oct 2007 12:20:33 813 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I agree with that Nick.

Helen Mirren seems to be there to fill time. "I am don't really care about cars" or whatever her first line was. Your on a car show you dipshit.

I have heard from good sources that behind the scenes she is completely up herself anyway.*

*All opinions within this post are of the poster and not Eurogamer.net's.

• semprini 14 Oct 2007 20:06:35 3,144 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    'Like smearing honey in to Keira Knightly' :-D

• ecureuil 14 Oct 2007 21:02:27 76,011 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Top Gear is bloody brilliant. Nice to see May still isn't having any luck with any of the challenges. :D
  • Page

of 142 First / Last