Top Gear returns Page 124

• Page

of 154 First / Last

• oceanmotion 4 Feb 2013 13:16:43 16,126 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The worldwide audience probably aren't tired of it or even notice the cringe worthy script.

Each series usually has two or three good segments. I enjoyed the China knock off trip. Genuine moments with something a little different. Vietnam was fairly good but fell into the act a few times.
  • elstoof 4 Feb 2013 13:19:21 8,306 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    spindizzy wrote:
    I found myself really wanting to know a bit about how 1500 USD could make a crappy car blitz the supercars they had.
    Replace the suspension with steel bars, stick a couple of superchargers on the engine, get a few cans of NOX, get the mad scientist to rip the block apart and replace those piston rings you fried, double clutch instead of grany shift and then you'll have a 10 second car.
  • Deleted user 4 February 2013 13:22:13
    Even the cars last night didn't really do it for me. That Aston is very nice, but I think a huge overstatement to call it the best looking one ever. The Lexus is totally unexciting and no amount of Jeremy lying about how it's the best car he's ever driven will change that. And the most interesting thing they could find to say about the Dodge was that it "only" cose 70k.

Really was bottom of the barrel stuff last night.
  • elstoof 4 Feb 2013 13:30:35 8,306 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I missed the start, what exactly was the criteria for choosing their cars? They usually have a certain budget or something, these cars weren't brand new were they?
  • glaeken 4 Feb 2013 13:31:43 11,265 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's basically a program that reviews cars for Footballers, bankers and celebrities.

While I love my cars it does sometimes feel weird to me that we humans put some much talent into creating things that so few of us ever get to experience.
  • Deleted user 4 February 2013 13:33:34
    elstoof wrote:
    I missed the start, what exactly was the criteria for choosing their cars? They usually have a certain budget or something, these cars weren't brand new were they?
    I think the criteria was "cars that the manufacturers have paid to be included in an episode of Top Gear".

Seriously, I either missed them say what it was, or there wasn't one.
  • beastmaster 4 Feb 2013 13:34:19 11,980 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've spend years not watching Top Gear but I decided to watch last nights episode and catch up on a few others and watch a few clips from YouTube.

The P50 feature had my in tears laughing. The P45 one wasn't quite as good. Perhaps it's because I've not been constantly watching it over the years but I find it highly entertaining.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• glaeken 4 Feb 2013 13:36:33 11,265 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Adds the name beastmaster to the list.
  • elstoof 4 Feb 2013 14:07:59 8,306 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I'm only wondering because they were all in really shit colours like they had to buy them second hand or something. That Lexus looked pretty dated style wise also, and with Astons I can never tell what model it is because the more recent ones all look the bloody same. Fuck knows what a Viper is there for, it's not like up can pop down to Dodge's Chiswick dealership and get a test drive.
  • nickthegun 4 Feb 2013 14:16:45 61,299 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RE: Clarkson saying 'best car ever', according to the issue of top gear magazine I was thumbing through in the barbers, it really is. At least thats what he said in an article in there. Party line and all that, but he did seem genuinely enthusiastic.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• ecu 4 Feb 2013 14:41:54 77,312 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    elstoof wrote:
    I think the criteria was "cars that the manufacturers have paid to be included in an episode of Top Gear".

There wasn't.

I've now taken to recording the show and skipping past the news and SIARPC segments.
  • elstoof 4 Feb 2013 15:00:09 8,306 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SIARPC was one of the weaker segments even in the show's heyday, I'd rather sit through the Cool Wall than that. I'd like to see more of things like the old Hilux they put through the paces really.
  • liamthemaster 4 Feb 2013 15:10:55 1,610 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I thought Clarkson was joking about the Lexus being the best car he'd driven It seemed really odd maybe they'd just cut out a load of footage.
  • President_Weasel 4 Feb 2013 15:17:11 9,656 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Surprised they didn't do the new corvette instead of the viper or one of the other cars, for an America segment. Was it supposed to be American car vs UK vs Japan, or something? The three cars cost vastly different amounts, too. Confusing. (although to be fair, to use the Corvette they'd have had to use one of the pre-production ones. Maybe it was cars you can buy right now if you have ridiculous amounts of money only)
    The laser tag with planes thing was less interesting to watch and less informative than just driving them fast round the track would have been. It's not even a cool new thing, since they did something very similar with (I think it was an Apache helicopter?) a couple of series back.

Edited by President_Weasel at 15:18:38 04-02-2013
  • shamblemonkee 4 Feb 2013 15:17:13 14,653 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    yeah, supercars.. boring....

weirdos.
  • jellyhead 4 Feb 2013 15:31:29 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Everyone likes the bits about cars, we just wish there was more of it.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• brokenkey 4 Feb 2013 15:34:45 7,154 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    It's basically a program that reviews cars for Footballers, bankers and celebrities.

While I love my cars it does sometimes feel weird to me that we humans put some much talent into creating things that so few of us ever get to experience.
    At some point in the next 5 episodes they are doing the GT86/BRZ. They named that car(s) Car of the Year. It costs 25k.

Every week they race a REASONABLY PRICED CAR round the track.

Its really not the programme you think it is.

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• Deleted user 4 February 2013 15:45:05
    A good amount of the cars they review are cars no normal person would ever buy, but I don't really mind tbh, I like the whole super car side of things, and would rather they did that than review the latest Vauxhaul every week (which they also do a bit of to be fair).
  • Kostabi 4 Feb 2013 15:48:44 5,088 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't get the need for every day cars as anyone can just go down to the showroom and test drive one if they're that curious. Supercars on the other hand are just more entertaining on every level.
  • Deleted user 4 February 2013 15:57:45
    Agreed. And yet reviewing super cars in the same way that you would review a normal car under the assumption that anyone watching will ever actually get to drive one, is also a bit odd.
  • glaeken 4 Feb 2013 15:59:40 11,265 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @brokenkey I have actually watched it you know. Yes I know it's not always super cars but it mostly is.

I just find myself wondering what the point of it all is when they start banging on about car X for this year has had its power uprated from 550Bhp to 570Bhp. I just find myself thinking a lot of the development in super cars these days is aimed at getting footballers to update their car.

I am split on the whole thing though. While one part of my brain is wondering what the fuck is going on with all this effort being put in for 0.0000000000001% of humans to enjoy I also love cars.
  • Kostabi 4 Feb 2013 16:02:05 5,088 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I suppose reviewing it like dropping 800k on a car is an every day thing taps into folks wish fulfilment with little to no effort on their part.
  • Deleted user 4 February 2013 16:03:43
    Anyway i don't mind the whole super car review thing, in fact the show is at his excellent best when they're talking about cars and driving them. It's all the other guff that lets it down.
  • brokenkey 4 Feb 2013 16:07:30 7,154 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My favourite bits are when they get given a limited amount of cash to buy something stupid and then complain when it breaks down. That's the affordable end of the market - a porsche for 1500.

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• nickthegun 4 Feb 2013 16:08:33 61,299 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I would rather watch them review a zonda than a mondeo.

• nickthegun 4 Feb 2013 16:09:05 61,299 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I would also rather watch them review a mondeo than see another staged caravan fire

• Deleted user 4 February 2013 16:09:17
    My favourite bit is where they make fun of Hammond being small or wearing funny clothes.
  • glaeken 4 Feb 2013 16:10:41 11,265 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And who can forget the hilarity of Captain slow. That joke never gets old.
  • elstoof 4 Feb 2013 16:12:32 8,306 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The first series of the reboot was all about everyday cars wasn't it, they had that fat James May Mk1 bloke who would give a run down on what used car deals were available and how your Mondeo's depreciation was going.

Bloody awful.
  • jellyhead 4 Feb 2013 16:13:05 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ....or Hammond's Teeth. It's a lolocalypse.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Page

of 154 First / Last