Advice please. Need new in-ear earphones, with some specific features.

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • yegon 29 Sep 2007 16:39:48 5,220 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Very dull post incoming.

I've been to a slave to Sony EX71 earphones for a few years now, they sound great, but there's certain things I don't like about them;

-Fragile. I treat my kit well, but heavy gym and everyday usage means they last me under a year due to the gossamer-like strength of the wires. 3 sets in under 3 years have each had one earpiece die.

-The wire length. I know the top bit is short to enable use with remotes, but I hate inline remotes - they snag and the weight on my ears annoy me - so I never use them. I even gave away my 3rd gen iPod remote to a complete stranger on this forum. The bottom wire on the EX71's is faaaaar to long so I have to tie it up, meaning weight on my ears and snagging.

So, I'm after some decent sounding equivalents but they must have one complete wire (not two for remote functionality) of an average length, and be round-the-back-of-the-head stylee, not Y shaped like a stethoscope.

Suggestions?
  • Kay 29 Sep 2007 16:48:41 17,830 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sennheiser CX300s will probably be best for you. They're like the Sony's but slightly better quality.

I personally use the Shure E3Cs, and they are brilliant. But they do have the stethoscope-style wire split. And they are pricey compared to Sony and Sennheiser.

K
  • Deleted user 29 September 2007 16:56:05
    Kay wrote:
    Sennheiser CX300s will probably be best for you. They're like the Sony's but slightly better quality.

I personally use the Shure E3Cs, and they are brilliant. But they do have the stethoscope-style wire split. And they are pricey compared to Sony and Sennheiser.

K

Agreed. I moved from the Sony EX71 to the Senns after the Sonys failed after fairly light use. I always found the Sony cable lenght + extension really annoying which fortunately the Senns don't have.

Plus you can get the Senns for 15 off ebay. Good value.
  • yegon 29 Sep 2007 17:00:40 5,220 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cheers, those Senn's look okay but online reviews seem to suggest they're Y shaped. Are they wrong?

The Shure's look good, but I'd rather go with something cheaper. I give earphones a real battering and I'd rather not have to be precious with them. Tbh, the short life on my Sony's doesn't really bother me, it's the wire setup that really bugs me.

Edit: Actually, I've just read elsewhere that they're NOT Y shaped. Wouldn't mind some definite confirmation.....
  • [maven] 29 Sep 2007 17:05:28 5,152 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've had the same trouble with my Sony 71s as well (i.e. they fell apart); I've picked up the JBL Reference 220, which feel a bit more robust (and seems to have cloth covered cable) they're Y-shaped though, but I think there are provisions for changing that with one of the plastic bits in the package. The wire length is about right, pretty much between the Sonys with and w/o extension.
  • deem 29 Sep 2007 17:07:48 31,641 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    AlMcD wrote:

Fakes to look out for though.

http://iaudiophile.net/comment.php?comment.news.266
  • yegon 29 Sep 2007 17:10:42 5,220 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    deem wrote:
    AlMcD wrote:

Fakes to look out for though.

http://iaudiophile.net/comment.php?comment.news.266

Aye cheers, I think I can get them from reputable places for less than 20 squid though.
  • deem 29 Sep 2007 17:19:15 31,641 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    WOPR wrote:
    I still don't understand why Apple don't bring out some decent headphones for people wanting to upgrade the shite you get with an iPod.

Exactly. I got the alternative ones thinking they were just that, but they were utterly shit.
  • terminalterror 29 Sep 2007 17:20:39 18,937 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sennheiser CX300s are definately the asymmetric behind the neck style, I have a pair myself. I think they sound fantastic, but I've not tried any other in ear competitors, so can't say how they compare to Sony or Shure.

While the ebay ones could well be fakes, you can get them from Amazon Marketplace for 14.99 (plus postage) or Amazon themselves for 17.49 (including postage).

Also, the 17.49 are "eco" versions

"Packaging made from 78 per cent recycled paper, 100 per cent recyclable, NO plastics, NO glues
    Minimized printing on packaging, maximised product protection"

Which is the first example I've ever seen of something like that, but a pretty good idea. No point having snazzy packaging when you don't see it until you've already bought it.
  • yegon 29 Sep 2007 17:28:50 5,220 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    terminalterror wrote:
    Sennheiser CX300s are definately the asymmetric behind the neck style.

D'oh! My edumacation failed me, for some stupid reason I misinterpreted the meaning of asymmetrical in all the reviews I perused.

/clicks order

Thanks for advice all!!!
  • terminalterror 29 Sep 2007 22:19:00 18,937 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't remember my packaging looking like that, but then I can't remember what it did look like either.

Seems pretty trustworthy, as ebay sellers go.

5 more gets you a guaranteed non fake (with "eco packaging") from Amazon. When I bought mine they were only 15 from amazon, and the same on ebay so I went with the former. Dunno what I'd do now.
  • Deleted user 29 September 2007 22:24:43
    terminalterror wrote:
    I don't remember my packaging looking like that, but then I can't remember what it did look like either.

Seems pretty trustworthy, as ebay sellers go.

5 more gets you a guaranteed non fake (with "eco packaging") from Amazon. When I bought mine they were only 15 from amazon, and the same on ebay so I went with the former. Dunno what I'd do now.
    I'd pay the fiver extra and get the definitely proper ones with eco-friendly packaging.
  • Deleted user 29 September 2007 22:25:35
    WOPR wrote:
    deem wrote:
    WOPR wrote:
    I still don't understand why Apple don't bring out some decent headphones for people wanting to upgrade the shite you get with an iPod.

Exactly. I got the alternative ones thinking they were just that, but they were utterly shit.
    I'm still using a Sony pair that cost about 8, they actually have some bass which is nice. Bought some Sennheiser's for about 20 and they were just as shit as the Apple ones. Shame is the new Apple ones (more curved than the old ones) are really comfortable.
    You bought Sennheisers that were as bad as that absolute SHITE Apple ships?

Jesus. What were they, so we can avoid them!
  • IMadeThis 29 Sep 2007 22:28:43 1,037 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bit late to the party, but I went for Phillips SHE8500 just yesterday to compliment my new (arriving soon dagnammit!) iPod Touch. Seem pretty sweet compared to the shite I'm used to & at 15 from t'Asda, I think they're sound (heh).
  • terminalterror 30 Sep 2007 00:30:25 18,937 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    WOPR wrote:
    I've just ordered some of the CX300's from Amazon, I hope they're good.

Well if you complaint about the MX500 was that it had no bass then you should be very happy with the CX300, which has oodles of bass.

I love in ear headphones, being able to block out ambient noise is fantastic, except for when you have them in while you are snoozing in a car, and wake up with spunking cocks drawn on your legs.
  • yegon 2 Oct 2007 12:42:25 5,220 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Took delivery of these this morning. Impressed, pretty good considering they're sub 20. It's SO nice to get away from those bastard Sony EX 'phones I've been tolerating for the last few years.
  • yegon 2 Oct 2007 12:51:33 5,220 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Plenty of bass on mine, which is good as I always have EQ off on my iPod - is it just me or do all the EQ settings horribly distort the music? I've only tried Rock and a few others though admittedly.
  • terminalterror 2 Oct 2007 12:53:08 18,937 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just in case you haven't used in ear ones before, they do feel really weird at first, but they soon become really comfortable and effortless to insert.
  • yegon 2 Oct 2007 12:55:36 5,220 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The physical feel of 'em is little different to my old Sony ones, but I seem to remember they did feel a little strange when I first used them.
  • terminalterror 2 Oct 2007 13:02:04 18,937 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mine felt incredibly weird at first, partly because I've never really used earplug before either, so was unused to having anything shoved in my ear.

Took me quite a while to work out which size rubber thing made the perfect fit. I've now got the medium one in my left ear and the small in my right.
  • Shinji 2 Oct 2007 13:15:47 5,903 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just bought a set of those CX300s. They better be as great as you all say, or I'm going to come around and draw spunking cocks on your legs.

(Inquiring minds demand to know whether this actually happened, TT.)
  • Spectral 2 Oct 2007 13:23:21 4,980 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I use the CX's and think they sound good, not as good as the other sennheisers I use in the house which aren't in ear(HD202) but great for in ear ones. Much more bass with them than I've seen with any other in ear.
  • Alastair 2 Oct 2007 13:34:33 15,608 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have a pair of CX300s and can confirm that they are acebest! Very pleased with them.
    It's a bit weird if you're listening to some music and then start eating something as all the eating sounds in your mouth get 'amplified' because you aren't hearing any external noises. Or maybe that's just me....

Not as nice as I used to be

• Deleted user 2 October 2007 13:44:03
    I bought some on your recommendations as my pioneer lost all its rubbery bits. Or I lost all its rubbery bits. It's sound wasn't all that hot anyhow.
  • Fonzie 2 Oct 2007 15:00:40 1,840 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    WOPR wrote:
    This seller seems pretty genuine, even linking to a guide on how to spot fakes. Any comments?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GENUINE-Sennheiser-CX-300-earbud-headphones-UK-CX300_W0QQitemZ260165069132QQihZ016QQcategoryZ3274QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The link is not too great though it states:

2. The Jack is straight and Gold plated. Genuine Sennheisers use an L shape jack which is silver plated, a gold plated or straight jack is a clear indication of a FAKE.

I have a pair of genuine sennheiser headphones (PX200) and they use a straight jack - not too sure about the colour though, don't have them with me but think its silver.
  • yegon 2 Oct 2007 15:35:43 5,220 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I got the eco ones from Amazon, making sure it was from Amazon themselves rather than a 3rd party. Chances of Amazon selling fakes are slim, chances of counterfeiters banging out eco friendly packaged fakes....
  • jellyhead 4 Oct 2007 15:05:55 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The leads are supposed to go around the back of your neck yes, as for the cable rubbing i've no idea sorry.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Deleted user 7 October 2007 14:22:30
    Bizarrely mine arrived today, on Sunday. Good ol' amazon. Careful on receiving them as the package, although a nice idea, isn't particularly well executed and the buds could fly everywhere on opening.

Listening to Aesop Rock's None Shall Pass as a test on the ol' iPod, sounds really good. Very clear, nice bass, clarity it superb. There is a slight issue with wire-rubbing (kind of a rumble when it happens) but I had that on the last lot, my pioneers? It's just a case that you've got wires attatched to what're basically earplugs that cut sound out, so any vibration on the cable you're going to hear. Just the way it is.
  • Kostabi 7 Oct 2007 14:55:20 4,911 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just ordered a pair of CX300s too. The more I post here the more I believe the EG forum is a hivemind as I was about to post a similar thread asking for 'phone advice.
  • Deleted user 7 October 2007 23:14:28
    These forums are aces for advice, aren't they?
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous