Halo 4 Page 172

• Page

of 173 First / Last

• DFawkes 18 Sep 2013 20:25:25 22,106 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It doesn't work like that, unfortunately. Downloading the individual map packs doesn't count if you do it from the store. If you have the map pass, it just lets you download them from the in-game menu, so it doesn't count as purchasing. Not even sure I made sense here, but there you go :)

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• oceanmotion 18 Sep 2013 20:35:32 15,274 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ah, okay. Didn't know it worked like that.

Check what Dfawkes said before that then.
  • JiveHound 19 Sep 2013 09:37:25 2,162 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Thanks guys I'll have a look in game.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• JiveHound 19 Sep 2013 10:07:05 2,162 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Right. I think it's Inifinity Actual Kit you have to redownload.

Obtuse much?

Sorted now. Phew.

• RedSparrows 19 Sep 2013 10:49:26 20,765 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Scourge of Modern Gaming #23: Endless stupid bits of DLC, either from pre-order, in game, or as part of a promotion, given dumb names that nobody gives a shit for.
  • JiveHound 19 Sep 2013 11:16:11 2,162 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Maybe if I kept an xbox for more than five minutes I wouldn't have to go through all this.

Still a ballache though.

Anyway, if anyone is up for playing this today I'll rip my eyes from GTA to have a look at the new maps. Really want to try Pit2.0

• RedSparrows 19 Sep 2013 17:24:32 20,765 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Longbow CTF is absolutely fantastic. Why the hell did it take them so long to sort BTB Objective?
  • altitude2k 24 Sep 2013 21:09:24 3,207 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Pitfall is now on rotation the Team Doubles playlist. Sounds like fun!
  • Nades 24 Sep 2013 21:30:06 643 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I haven't played Halo 4 for ages now, bet I suck when I go back.

Liverpool FC

• JiveHound 25 Sep 2013 18:49:34 2,162 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Must say, liking the new balance so far.

• Nades 25 Sep 2013 21:59:16 643 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    New balance? Have they done another patch???

Liverpool FC

• JiveHound 25 Sep 2013 22:56:35 2,162 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Since I last played in February.

• Nades 27 Sep 2013 23:44:32 643 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ohhh, right ok then. I was gonna say, I didn't think there was another update :S

Liverpool FC

• StarchildHypocrethes 30 Sep 2013 23:22:06 24,597 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Even though I had it since Halo 4 came out, I've only just sat and watched that promotional tv show thing they did.

It was actually pretty cool.
  • Matt36 21 Nov 2013 01:08:03 1,206 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Didn't realise HALO Forward Dawn thingy was unlockable in HALO 4?
  • sanctusmortis 26 Nov 2013 17:45:58 9,590 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    OUCH. I mean, I have been playing a bit lately and noticed it is a little light on player base, but seeing it broken down like that...

They need better playlists for 5. More of them, map packs permanently in a playlist, that sort of thing.
  • RedSparrows 26 Nov 2013 17:50:32 20,765 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ooof. Painful.

Nice to see GAF as insightful as ever.

'It's cos its shit lol'
  • TOOTR 13 Dec 2013 17:44:19 9,473 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just fired this up today after I don't know how long.

Paid for the Map with the pit remake and...can't find it anywhere.

Anyone know which gametype I need to play on the bloody thing?

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• RedSparrows 16 Jan 2014 23:36:16 20,765 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fun times! Halo is still top notch,  even when struggling,
  • afghan_jones 17 Jan 2014 10:31:47 3,029 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Those are some painful stats.

Realy though, it is a bit shit to be honest.

The DMR absolutely ruined the map design and a lot of the higher level gunfighting, the playlist setup was too fragmented, the loadout & perks system destroyed the higher level competetive play, the random weapon drops ruined any need for co-ordinated map control. Not having fileshares and proper custom maps was rubbish too.

Plus the loadout system effectively made infantry OP versus standard warthogs as everyone could spawn with plasma grenades and plasma pistols. So then every map had to have a Gauss hog, Banshee or tank in some weird arms race to keep vehicles relevant. This just adds to the abundance of one hit kill weapons.

All in all, some critical design descisions that broke the Halo balance (to be fair this started in Reach), plus some really bad community, content & playlist management compared to the Bungie days.

And finally, DLC map packs still cause problems, either shutting people out of playlists, or limiting how much people get to play with the maps they have paid for.
  • RedSparrows 17 Jan 2014 10:36:42 20,765 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The problem with DLC management has always been not-playing-on-what-you-paid-for. There are currently no restricted playlists, as far as I can tell, and so unless playing with a ton of friends or against Halo obsessives, you never play them - this was a Bungie problem too, but at least they had the perfect playlist in Halo 3, Social Team DLC.

The BR buff has helped the BR vs the other weapons, but doesn't change the long range issues. Ordnance is shit, and I avoid Infinity whenever possible. Fileshares and custom maps are properly integrated now... only took them 6-9 months (!??!) Perks and all can die - they're not as bad as CoD, but somethings like Promethean Vision and Jetpack can break maps at points, and are totally unecessary. I'd far, far, FAR rather they went back to on map weapons, no perks, etc, but enlarged the basic move set for *all* players - as they did with sprint for all (which I don't really like either), but better. Like, I dunno... a slide mechanic that lasts a second for reducing profile, or an extra mini jump on top of normal jump, IF you time it properly. Or something less shit. Or just take Halo 3, speed up the movement by a factor of 0.1, retain the jump height, add in all other Halo maps ever, spruce it up, add in some kind of bar filling for the monkeys, if you really have to, and sell it to me noowww.

Despite all the gripes, I still had a ton of fun last night playing it again. For all the unecessary rubbish they chuck in, for all the things they don't seem to get, there is still the core, slick satisfaction of frag > headshot that I love quite unreasonably.

Edited by RedSparrows at 10:40:35 17-01-2014
  • afghan_jones 17 Jan 2014 11:09:45 3,029 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They need to get rid of the DMR. It ruins the game in more ways then just outpacing the BR.

In H3 you could get to a vantage point or an open area, poke your head out and get a good view of the whole battlefield, check out the weapon spawns and callout enemy locations. You might get raking from some long range BR fire but the bullets had a travel time and spread so at long range it was really just suppressing fire. At worst, you might get sniped but the timed weapn spawns and map control meant you were aware of whether that was a current risk or not.

With the DMR, you can place super accurate hitscan bullets at any range, meaning any long line of sight areas become very dangerous. To mitigate this, most of the H4 maps have big obstacles in the middle of them, or loads of chunky cover points. This basically makes it impossible to get a good look at the battlefield and understand where the enemy team members are. Which then means everyone is just running and gunning COD style because they cant ever actually poke their heads out for a strategic view without getting a faceful of super accurate DMR shots.

Think about the big open H3 maps like standoff, Avalanche, Sandbox & Sandtrap, or the long corridors of Rats nest. None of them would work with the DMR.

Love the feel of using that gun but hate what it has done to map design.
  • Sharzam 17 Jan 2014 12:39:58 2,128 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    H3 multiplayer was amazing for one simple factor, skill. If you played better you won simple really.

When you start adding in custom load outs and perks it goes from skill to setup. Whoever has the right load or perk A for map B wins. I don't play Cod for that reason,  I liked halo for the reason it was closer to classic pc multiplayer such as quake.

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• oceanmotion 17 Jan 2014 13:02:46 15,274 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, one of the reasons why I've always liked Halo.

I will be surprised if Halo 5 doesn't have some carrot on a stick, unlocks, progression, perk system. The temptation of digital crack would be too much for 343 to not try again. They probably think we can do it right next time.

We can only hope they see the light and make Halo somewhat unique again. I think it would be quite refreshing if they went against the trend and just made good old Halo with some new pioneering features. Keep it clean as well. To just jump into a game and not feel like you needed to put 50hrs into it would be nice.

Edited by oceanmotion at 13:04:02 17-01-2014
  • muttler 17 Jan 2014 13:27:30 3,774 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Criticise everything else, but what's the issue with the DMR? It's nigh on perfect. It was perfect in Reach, and although it was OP when Halo 4 first came out, but after they rebalanced all the weapons to make the Carbine and the Battle Rifle more powerful it was fine. In fact, isn't the BR the most popular amongst the l33t?
  • anephric 17 Jan 2014 14:47:14 70 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Until I stopped playing a few weeks ago, I pretty much only used BR, except on Valhalla. Up close and medium distance, you'd come out on top of DMR nearly every time.
  • Nades 17 Jan 2014 15:10:40 643 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I highly doubt 343 will make Halo like it used to be again...I'd be shocked! They need to make it simple again, even the medals are shit now, theyre not rewarding to get and there's too many.

Gameplay wise its not even close to Halo 3! I hate all these perks, AA, and sprint is a joke too. I dont think people realise how much sprint ruins Halo. If they keep even one of these stupid things in Halo 5, I'd be annoyed, but at the same time I guess its expected.

People say they need to change Halo. Yes, they probably do, but when they changed it I didn't think it would go from a unique original game, to the same thing every other FPS offers.

Liverpool FC

• afghan_jones 17 Jan 2014 15:47:58 3,029 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    muttler wrote:
    Criticise everything else, but what's the issue with the DMR? It's nigh on perfect. It was perfect in Reach, and although it was OP when Halo 4 first came out, but after they rebalanced all the weapons to make the Carbine and the Battle Rifle more powerful it was fine. In fact, isn't the BR the most popular amongst the l33t?
    DMR is hitscan, which means the bullets have no travel time. It also has minimal spread.

Before the DMR, only the sniper was hitscan.

So now there are no big open maps in Halo like there used to be. Most of them have some massive structure in the middle to prevent cross map DMR killing, which in turn means it is really hard to get an overview of the battlefield and have good team communication about enemy locations. In old Halo the BR had sufficient travel time and spread that shots across the map were only semi accurate and could be avoided long enough to get a good look at things.

Also, it rodgers vehicles much too fast which is part of the general unbalancing issues.
  • muttler 17 Jan 2014 16:24:45 3,774 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is it really that bad?  I might get clipped by long range DMR having a look around the map, but not enough to die unless I'm already on one shot.  What you say about hitscan may be true, but you've still got to get the shot on target.  Perhaps the mistake they made was taking out or severely reducing bloom, that balanced the DMR and required skill.
  • muttler 17 Jan 2014 16:27:25 3,774 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    anephric wrote:
    Until I stopped playing a few weeks ago, I pretty much only used BR, except on Valhalla. Up close and medium distance, you'd come out on top of DMR nearly every time.
    Sorry, but up close the BR is way better.  Shit, after the rebalance even the AR was better.

Edit- sorry I misread you're post there.  I thought you were saying the DMR was better up close.  Sowee!

Edited by muttler at 16:29:21 17-01-2014
  • Page

of 173 First / Last