Crap TV Rants

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • Idoru 11 Sep 2007 20:53:26 368 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ok - theres fuck all on the telly, so I've created a thread where everyone can have a good old rant about the shite that passes for entertainment these days.

So I've just spent the past 30 minutes watching "Great British Journeys" on BBC2 whilst surfing t'internet.

From what I can make out, it's basically some old spod/pedo naturalist on a walk through the countryside, interspersed with fucking interminably dull historical anecdotes and stories.

He's now going on about some bloke who walked through the welsh coast 800 years ago hunting beavers to survive..

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH - HE NEEDS SHOOTING!!!
  • cubbymoore 11 Sep 2007 21:02:39 36,468 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I quite liked it. Admittedly this week's wasn't as good as the others have been, he usually chooses more interesting writers as inspiration.
  • Deleted user 11 September 2007 21:05:15
    TV Sucks ass I spend my nights on here listening to music. In the last week I have watched..............................

Dave Gilmour on BBC1

&

The Mitchell and Webb look (repeat)
  • Idoru 11 Sep 2007 21:21:40 368 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    cubbymoore wrote:
    I quite liked it. Admittedly this week's wasn't as good as the others have been, he usually chooses more interesting writers as inspiration.

I'll take your word for it cubby, but I'm steering well clear of that spoddy old gimmer in the future mate..
  • Deleted user 11 September 2007 21:33:23
    TV IS SHIT AND WE PAY FOR THIS SHIT VIVA LA REVOLUTION
  • Sid-Nice 11 Sep 2007 21:37:52 15,852 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I bought a Beko HDTV.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Deleted user 11 September 2007 21:38:35
    Sid Nice wrote:
    I bought a Beko HDTV.

Same shit better quality :p
  • heyyo 11 Sep 2007 21:43:51 14,374 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I haven't watched TV snice Saturday, wasting 11 quid a month on that shit.
  • MrCarrot 11 Sep 2007 21:51:35 3,516 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Idoru wrote:
    Ok - theres fuck all on the telly, so I've created a thread where everyone can have a good old rant about the shite that passes for entertainment these days.

So I've just spent the past 30 minutes watching "Great British Journeys" on BBC2 whilst surfing t'internet.

From what I can make out, it's basically some old spod/pedo naturalist on a walk through the countryside, interspersed with fucking interminably dull historical anecdotes and stories.

He's now going on about some bloke who walked through the welsh coast 800 years ago hunting beavers to survive..

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH - HE NEEDS SHOOTING!!!

Nicholas Crane > You
  • Idoru 11 Sep 2007 22:02:24 368 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    MrCarrot wrote:

Nicholas Crane > You

Is that his name then? well, if the yardstick is being able to walk through the countryside whilst telling mind-numbingly boring stories I'd tend to agree..
  • Gruff 11 Sep 2007 22:33:58 2,842 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There are diamonds in the rough.

Just watched tribe on beeb 2, absolutely fantastic life affirming stuff.

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• Idoru 11 Sep 2007 22:38:58 368 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Gruff wrote:

Yep - he's a lucky bastard isnt he? He probably has my dream job..
  • absolutezero 11 Sep 2007 22:43:45 7,956 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I used to love CSI Miami but this recent series on 5 has made me want to kill people.

Its just one huge parody.
  • TwistidChimp 11 Sep 2007 22:57:58 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TV.. on the whole. Is shit, to an alarming degree. its basically a 99.9 - 0.1 % split between utter drivel. And decent programming.

There's still decent stuff around though. You just have to track it down amongst the ocean of dross.
  • Gruff 11 Sep 2007 23:16:28 2,842 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Idoru wrote:
    Gruff wrote:

Yep - he's a lucky bastard isnt he? He probably has my dream job..

Christ no, i wouldn't do his job myself. I am happy that he does it on my behalf though.

Honestly would not have the guts (or literally the stomach) to do some of the things he does.

But the tribes he meets are usually so welcoming and open it warms the icy cockles of my heart, so it does :)

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• Idoru 11 Sep 2007 23:56:05 368 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Granted he has to eat some pretty rank stuff/do some dangerous things every now and again, but in my opinion that's completely outweighed by the unique opportunity he has to travel around the world completely immersing himself in unique environments/cultures (many of which will probably be irrevocably lost/changed in a couple of decades)

Let's face it, the closest most of us will ever get to doing anything remotely similar is some godawful staged hilltribe encounter in northern thailand with a bunch of other camera toting tourists (yes I've been there...)

• cubbymoore 12 Sep 2007 08:20:54 36,468 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    TwistidChimp wrote:
    TV.. on the whole. Is shit, to an alarming degree. its basically a 99.9 - 0.1 % split between utter drivel. And decent programming.

There's still decent stuff around though. You just have to track it down amongst the ocean of dross.
    Radio Times. Their recommendations have been spot on recently, they even recommended this weeks CSI: Miami just for it's sheer absurdity, can't think of any other tv mag that does that.
  • mad_caddy 12 Sep 2007 08:29:57 3,306 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    cook yourself thin or whatever it's called, all of them lie about their own personal sizes. the food they make is f*cking ridiculous, as in only the rich can afford it. they should be forced to cook using tesco value stuff and then we'll see how healthy they f*cking are.

All part of the modern culture that I bloody hate.
  • nickthegun 12 Sep 2007 10:56:56 58,897 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    absolutezero wrote:
    I used to love CSI Miami but this recent series on 5 has made me want to kill people.

Its just one huge parody.

I started taking a drink every time they used a split screen, but found it increasingly hard to make it through work on wednesday.

I still like it, but, wankily, appreciate it ironically now. Its uber-patronising ("Hey, dont sell slick tyres to teenagers") and Horatio has been Deified, but I still enjoy it.

I nearly crapped my pants when they did that pan around him near that big jesus in Brazil.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Killerbee 12 Sep 2007 11:06:09 5,016 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There is precious little on TV worth watching now. In fact, Mock The Week is about the only thing I can think of that I'd willingly tune into, and that's only if I've got nothing better to do.

Can't stand the bloody lifestyle programmes - how to buy a house or shows giving tips on supposedly 'every day' recipies you can make in next to no time... but only if you've been out to Waitrose and bought all the poncy ingredients first!!!

/glares at Nigella
  • nickthegun 12 Sep 2007 11:09:41 58,897 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Killerbee wrote:
    There is precious little on TV worth watching now. In fact, Mock The Week is about the only thing I can think of that I'd willingly tune into, and that's only if I've got nothing better to do.

I cant stand mock the week. Dara is absolutely wasted on it.

"OK, now heres something in the news for you to tell a joke about. Please feel free to tenuously connect it to the crappest bit of your established stand-up routine"

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• mrpon 12 Sep 2007 11:13:25 28,490 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Killerbee wrote:
    /glares at Nigella

They're getting bigger aren't they?

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• Killerbee 12 Sep 2007 11:16:57 5,016 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Killerbee wrote:

I cant stand mock the week. Dara is absolutely wasted on it.

"OK, now heres something in the news for you to tell a joke about. Please feel free to tenuously connect it to the crappest bit of your established stand-up routine"

See, I find it worth watching mainly for Dara - I find the show strangely reminiscent of Whose Line is it Anyway? which I used to love when it was on Channel 4...

Panel-based comedy gameshows are usually worth watching, though as I say, it's only really if I've got nothing better to do...
  • Killerbee 12 Sep 2007 11:17:21 5,016 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Killerbee wrote:
    /glares at Nigella

They're getting bigger aren't they?

Well, I was wondering...
  • Deleted user 12 September 2007 11:19:30
    Killerbee wrote:
    See, I find it worth watching mainly for Dara - I find the show strangely reminiscent of Whose Line is it Anyway? which I used to love when it was on Channel 4...

"Strangely" reminiscent?! It uses the same buzzer noise! It's just Whose Line with politics and a few crap stand-ups.

Whose Line is on TV Links, you should all watch it. Amazing show, especially the UK version. It's just the same people as the US one with a UK comic guesting every week and with Clive Anderson presenting, but the audience are much more tolerable than the hollering Americans.
  • jellyhead 12 Sep 2007 11:21:20 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cable/Satellite is no better either. I was around a friends house and couldn't find anything worth putting up with the adverts to watch. No wonder i read more nowadays.

Still i'm happy to be one of the few that isn't hypnotized by vacuous, mainstream entertainment and there's hope for C4 having cancelled all their tripe a few weeks ago, mind you all the adverts and idents on C4 make me angry so on second thoughts that's pointless to me too. :)

This signature intentionally left blank.

• CaptainBinky 12 Sep 2007 11:41:45 2,244 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I had thought that that Dexter was the most hilariously stupid premise for a TV show, but then I stumbled upon Numb3rs. Now there's a show for you.

My favourite bits are when they show little animated trajectories with random equations, or the screen goes all yellowey every time he thinks of something "mathy" in his brain. Or how the writers are desperate to squeeze in every clever sounding phrase they can think of. I think it was "uncertainty principle" last episode, or something equally quantum.

Brilliant stuff! I give it 4 dog poos out of 5.

Would have got 5, but it's redeeming feature is it has that small frizzy-haired weird bloke who was in Ghostbusters 2 in it! \o/
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous