your views on the N64

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 6 September 2007 13:47:10
    A great console in its day which, in many people's eyes, had some of the best games ever made released on it. I feel that the impact of some of the platform's games have been significantly lessened on me after my exposure to next-gen brilliance. An example would be Goldeneye, I found it pretty much unplayable after playing modern shooters like Gears. If anything, it serves to underline how much games have moved on visually and in gameplay terms in the decade since its release. It's the same with Perfect Dark to a lesser extent. A few titles have stood the test of time - Mario 64 has not been bettered by anything in its franchise in the decade since. Ocarina of time is still a classic. Lylat Wars, F-Zero wand JFG remain highly regarded by some. What I would ask, do you find the games to be as enjoyable now as you did at the time of their release and would you say their impact has been lessened with the advancement of 2 generations?
  • Blerk Moderator 6 Sep 2007 13:48:34 48,225 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I never had an N64 at the time, nor did I know anyone who had one.

Finally playing one many years later has lead me to realise that I absolutely made the right choice in buying a Playstation. :-D
  • Hunam 6 Sep 2007 13:50:14 20,674 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought it was absolutely fantastic, and me and my friends used to play it all the time, loved it, specially as i was the right age of 13-15. When it died (ie, they stopped making games for it) picked up a PSX on the cheap and fell in love with that.

The n64 was a great console, all the games just had a certain charm or magic to them, and of course it was all in spanky 3d at the time. The PSX was a good follow on as that had more sophisticated games and felt like the natural extension as it got me voices and fmv in games, MGS was just spot on at the right time.
  • [+..] 6 Sep 2007 13:51:42 341 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Over time you come to expect features and innovations that have come with time.

So the games are as good as they ever were, because the games haven't changed. Relatively however the games aren't as good.
  • TwistidChimp 6 Sep 2007 13:52:30 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    An excellent machine, with an excellent controller, hobbled by Nintendo's nazi like control over the games released for it, and a general lack of third party interest. So, great machine with a handful of excellent, excellent games.

Very much like the Gamecube.
  • Deleted user 6 September 2007 13:57:09
    Blerk wrote:
    Does anyone you know ever have anything?!?
  • AcidSnake 6 Sep 2007 14:03:10 7,213 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Loved it...It had a lot of excellent titles on it...

When playing the games now (VC) I am shocked to see how much I've become accustomed to "next-gen" graphics...
    What all those years back looked like convincing 3D levels now look like a grid with blocks on them...

But the pure class remains underneath...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Youthist 6 Sep 2007 14:06:01 10,010 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Blerk is wrong. It was a great machine. PS1 was for whores only!

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• Blerk Moderator 6 Sep 2007 14:06:57 48,225 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    disussedgenius wrote:
    Blerk wrote:
    Does anyone you know ever have anything?!?
    It appears to me that just about everyone I know always buys the same stuff as everyone else. I think it must be a peer pressure thing. ^_^
  • Tonka 6 Sep 2007 14:08:18 20,006 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The trident was amazingly comfortable. The games were few, expensive and sometimes legendary. It's design made baby jesus cry.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Youthist 6 Sep 2007 14:16:45 10,010 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DAMAGE.INC. wrote:
    Jet force gemini
    OOT
    Majora's mask
    Mario 64
    Episode 1 racer
    Rocket robot on wheels
    Banjo
    Goldeneye
    Perfect dark
    Donkey kong etc.......

Yes it was, and still is excellent!

Blast Corps

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• Hunam 6 Sep 2007 14:18:54 20,674 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have to say, i spent the majority of secondary school playing the n64. Think i picked it up at the end of primary school and didn't pick up the PSX until year 10 i think. Just good memories all the way.
  • Goban 6 Sep 2007 14:18:54 9,051 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Fucking brilliant, sold my PS soon after getting one.
    +1
  • Stickman 6 Sep 2007 14:19:18 29,655 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I thought the controller was brilliant, and some of the games were great but not enough of them, ultimately leading to a much shorter lifespan than the PS1. I initially bought a PS, hated missing out on some of the stuff on the N64, so swapped over, played that for a few months solid, then it just ran out of things that interested me, so went back to PS.

I'd say:

Tiny minority of N64 games
    ------------------
    Vast majority of PS1 games
    ------------------
    Vast majority of N64 games

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Metalfish 6 Sep 2007 14:20:53 8,785 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Very few games, but what there games they are. While I went onwards with my pc and xboxes, my friends pretty much kept their '64s and haven't tired on them yet. A fine machine.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 6 Sep 2007 14:22:28 11,262 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I loved my N64. Sooo many great games. Never really saw the appeal in m ost PS1 games to be honest, though I did like Metal Gear.

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Hunam 6 Sep 2007 14:22:50 20,674 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Winner's ran the n64 on ariel.
  • Whizzo 6 Sep 2007 14:22:57 43,031 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Blerk wrote:It appears to me that just about everyone I know always buys the same stuff as everyone else. I think it must be a peer pressure thing. ^_^
    I've still never played on an N64, not that I would have cared at the time as there was some great PC gaming in '97.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Telepathic.Geometry 6 Sep 2007 14:26:22 11,262 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh yeah, I quite liked Wipeout too. :)

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Grump 6 Sep 2007 14:33:20 1,180 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    The trident was amazingly comfortable. The games were few, expensive and sometimes legendary. It's design made baby jesus cry.

I can't remember ever holding the 1st prong (if that's what they're called). Everything was analogue.
  • pjmaybe 6 Sep 2007 14:48:33 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    A hateful horrible machine, and a perfect example of Nintendo really bending Europe over and fucking it up the arse with a shit-covered warty dick.

The N64 was all about Goldeneye and Blast Corps. Couldn't stand Mario 64, the N64 version of Mario Kart was the worst version ever and it deserved to be buried by the PS1 (which it was, royally).

Peej
  • jaxon58 6 Sep 2007 15:14:17 2,420 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rdysn5 wrote:
    Mario 64 has not been bettered by anything in its franchise in the decade since.

I thought Banjo was miles better than Mario.
  • Cappy 6 Sep 2007 15:51:13 11,826 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My views on the N64.

I liked it, when it actually had games. Unfortunately the gaps between worthwhile releases began to stretch to ridiculous lengths making the N64 largely useless.

Add on to that an absolutely draconian attitude to region lockouts and protection on a system with close to zero piracy leaving me with games I've paid for but have never been able to play to this day. I still can't believe that after all that I signed up for another round of vicious bum-ramming with the Gamecube. I blame the Wind Waker trailer.

Some non-Zelda and Mario N64 Games that I wasted my youth with:

Mystical Ninja - The reviews never got it, they were reviewing a Mario 64 clone and marking accordingly when Mystical Ninja was actually an Adventure/RPG-Lite which just happened to have a bit of light platforming. The fact that the game was absolutely absurd makes it all the better.

Blast Corps - An amazing game. And just when you think its all over a bunch of super hard secret stages open up.

Pilot Wings 64 - Flying around doing nothing may be boring in some games but strangely not in Pilot Wings.

Hybrid Heaven - Like most N64 games, news hungry magazines were previewing and hyping this for years before it finally got released. It took an absolute critical panning, but N64 owners were not exactly blessed with choice so I picked it up. Turned out to be an extremely strange hybrid RPG with a unique turn based combat system which bridged the gap between Tekken and an RPG. I ended up liking it a lot.
  • gunark 6 Sep 2007 16:02:12 707 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Awesome machine truely screwed over by Nintendo with the removal of the RGB circuit, meaning it was composhite or at a push s-video. As it had a primitive anti aliasing and bilinear filtering the combination of these and a crap output nailed the term 'muddy looking' to the N64's visuals for life.

I'd buy another as they are buttons now, as are the games (and there are some absolute crackers as noted above) but I can't take any display less than SCART quality, especially in these HDTV days. I play all my N64 through modded Xbox with filtering off and over component @ 480p. Lovely.
  • pjmaybe 6 Sep 2007 16:19:13 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Actually Cappy reminded me of the Goemon / Pilotwings goodness.

Peej
  • DodgyPast 6 Sep 2007 18:13:53 8,414 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It was the definitive machine of the generation..... Mario 64 has to rank as one of the all time greatest launch releases.

At the time I was caning Super Mario Kart on the SNES so our household waited until Mario Kart 64 was released.
    I'd already been playing it quite a lot at a mates house... I'd drive from London to Uni, stop at a his house and spend all day doing bongs and playing Goldeneye and Mario 64.

On the day it was released I flogged a load of CDs so I could afford everything.

I didn't really feel the lack of games since we were also still playing Tempest 2000, Worms, DJing at home and getting fucked up at the Leisure lounge Metalheadz nights.

I just don't think the PS1 had the same quality generation as the PS2 has so even though the GC probably had more decent games it has looked a lot worse.

It was only after I started living alone that I got into JRPGs.

The only thing I really missed was a decent fighting game... but at the time we did play Virtua Fighter on the PC with one of those EDGE cards and obviously the SNES lived on for SFII and Bomberman.

I do find a lot of the emulated stuff looks so colourful when played on an HDTV, so it still gets played.
  • Timmy 6 Sep 2007 18:20:31 9,031 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Blerk wrote:

Finally playing one many years later has lead me to realise that I absolutely made the right choice in buying a Playstation. :-D

agreed.
  • Timmy 6 Sep 2007 18:21:50 9,031 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    the n64 controllers were rubbish.
    flimsy and uncomfortable.
  • TheBear 7 Sep 2007 11:08:10 4,503 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Timmy wrote:
    the n64 controllers were rubbish.
    flimsy and uncomfortable.